• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub Review Thread.

Abdiel

Delaying the game for 1 year and still needing features to be patched in like weather is inexcusable.

Comments like this are rather inane. Weather was never intended for launch, it was something they started work on as part of their delay.

I don't understand the fives and sixes, that's usually reserved for games that are utter crap. At worst Driveclub seems to be a fairly competently made racer.

Compentently made but lacking in the features the developer claimed to be striving for like deep social interactions and extensive multiplayer. DC has baseline content and nothing more. It's a gorgeous game with no depth.

Lego Boss

I'm gutted really as I want UK developers to do well, especially as racers, which is the UK's AAA speciality.

I don't think that you can buy the 'X Factor'. A game can be competent, but it needs spirit if it's going to excel.

I alos think it's easy to pass off one or two reviews as anomalies, but for those who think reviewers are weak, would you be saying the same thing if the reviews were strong?

Perception Bias and Cognitive Dissonance.

thuway

I guess the PGR formula is officially dead. This was a nice throwback, but arcade sims have no place in the industry it seems :/.

gloriousd

Neo Member
Where art thou Gran Turismo? We need you...

I was hoping for MUCH better scores. Gamespot's review is absolutely brutal... I will try the PS+ version and check out this game for myself...

nib95

Banned
As expected. Luckily there's a lot of features and content coming for free post launch (rain, storms, snow, photo mode etc), so it should be a game that grows over time.

if nfs rivals shit grimdark police rivalry story constitutes as "soul", i'll take a soulless game, thanks.

I mean, I get that they're all comparing it to FH2s amazing atmosphere. But come on. Bland menus don't make a racing game bad.
At least Rivals had moments of excitement online. I haven't had the chance to play Driveclub against humans yet, but the Eurogamer review in particular makes it sound like the supposed social aspect of this game, which was put to the forefront all along, is disappointing.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That is indeed quite low. Hmm...

I hope this doesn't continue to deter developers from making circuit based games. I've come to realize that open world racing games just aren't for me. :\

I hope so too. I'm enjoying FH2 a lot, but not everything needs to massive in scale. It isn't 'old school' to have focus on what you want to deliver.

jet1911

Comments like this are rather inane. Weather was never intended for launch, it was something they started work on as part of their delay.

Lol wut? It's one of the thing they mentioned when they announced the game at the PS4 reveal event.

I was expecting scores to be a bit higher than that. Can't wait to try the PS+ version later today though.

Gamespot is a joke. It's a has-been review site that doesn't have a firm place in the current market, and is trying to reassert itself by slamming the game (and others) with an artificially low score. Just trying to be cool like Edge.

This game is NOT a 5/10. 6, 7, 8 MAYBE. But a 5? That's the sign of an incompetent reviewer who can't separate his biased lack of fulfilment from what is otherwise a solid racer.

Edit: I can't help but be dumbfounded by how unprofessional the Gamespot review is.

Chris1

Wow really did not expect scores like that.

At least it's free on PS+ for people to try out and see if they like it I guess.

T.O.P

Banned
Reviews so far seem cloudy with a chance of score drops.

313m3x4.gif

Late Flag

Yup. That's the game in a nutshell.

It's got good mechanics, but... Nothing else. Just menus connecting races.

That's pretty much exactly what I was hoping for. Motorstorm and Motorstorm:pR were structured the same way, and I loved both of those.

Kysen

This social gaming fad can't die soon enough, that's two games in the last month ruined due to social bs(destiny and this). Seems like this game is lacking content and was delayed to add a social system that adds nothing to the game but a few unlocks and challenges.

GHG

Gold Member
So far all I've read is a bunch of confessions from people who can't drive.

Yep.

No rewind feature is a negative all of a sudden?

Off track penalties are frowned upon.

No driving line is a negative.

But i get it, coming from Forza Horizon 2 which doesn't punish you for your mistakes and will hold your hand if you let it, the move to this game would be quite jarring if you are not a competent racer who understands fundamental driving techniques.

I'll wait to see what the likes of inside sim racing have to say about this.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I guess the PGR formula is officially dead. This was a nice throwback, but arcade sims have no place in the industry it seems :/.

everything will homogenize into an open world format where the actual meat of what you do is endlessly padded out with trite fetch quests to give the appearance of value while not actually delivering any.

and yes, gamespot gave it a low score, but polygon marked it higher than FH2, and other scores are decent. How about waiting to see what the range is like and reading some of the comments to see how they fit with what kind of game you want, rather than just reacting with one-liners based on headline numbers.

Seanspeed

Banned
Wow, not scoring nearly as well as I thought it would.

Gamespot is a joke. It's a has-been review site that doesn't have a firm place in the current market, and is trying to reassert itself by slamming the game (and others) with an artificially low score. Just trying to be cool like Edge.

This game is NOT a 5/10. 6, 7, 8 MAYBE. But a 5? That's the sign of an incompetent reviewer who can't separate his biased lack of fulfilment from what is otherwise a solid racer.

Edit: I can't help but be dumbfounded by how unprofessional the Gamespot review is.
And let the meltdowns commence. lol

It's not getting bad reviews because of the gameplay. Did you read any gameplay impressions from people who have been playing the game for the last few days?

To be honest, I am not counting on that thread for an unbiased view. Once the hype from the wait has died down I'll pay it a bit more heed.

edit: as pretty are the gfx are, if the racing's no good then that's a real problem... From those reviews: "AI is hopelessly ignorant...AI cars that love to unfairly bash and crash...
the overly aggressive AI grates"

It's one journalist's opinion. Calm down, sheesh.

I only played the game for about an hour this morning but Eurogamer is right, there's no romance to this game. I tried to French kiss my PS4's disc slot but it didn't react at all to my advances. I was somewhat insulted frankly.

One more thing before i get out before I exploooooode, notice how the higher scores are from smaller review outlets and the lower aren't

ekim

Yeah I'm not sure about the large gap between the reviews. Mostly, racing games tend to get pretty coherent scores with a few ups and downs. I don't know what some of the reviewers expected. I haven't played DC nor do I know the exact contents but from what I read so far, it's just as "soulless" and "lacking in content" as PGR4 and PGR4 was a pretty damn great game + DC also seems to have fantastic gameplay.

Top Bottom