• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub Review Thread.

Xando

Man the PS4 has some mediocre ass exclusives, and it looks like its going to be that way with that Santa Monica game getting mediocre previews.

Because Reviews decide if a game is mediocre, right? especially if they are all over the place?

You guys need to calm down. Try it on PS+, if you dont like it dont buy it.

baconcow

How massively disappointing.

I just wonder what the state of the game was BEFORE Sony got involved and they ditched making the PS4 release window and delaying it almost a year.

Might have faired better in the reviews given the games out at the time.

HariKari

Many reviews sound like they expected something different than solid racing from a racing game.

FH2 has really colored the discussion I think. I'd be curious to see what avid racing game fans think of the game and nothing more. A game can be very simple but if it does everything that matters well, it can work. It doesn't need a million tracks, cars, and open roads. That's not what DriveClub has ever set out to be. Why are they marking it down for something it's not trying to be?

Would they mark down Call of Duty for being too fast and not tactical enough? Shit doesn't make any sense.

I like Jeff. I like Giantbomb, but watching this is infuriating. How is he not clear on what ps+ subscribers get? It hasn't been mixed messaging, it's been crystal clear, and he simply and obviously hasn't even tried to find an answer to that question, because it's out there in the open for anyone that wants to know. Just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Honestly the reviews arent as harsh as i was expecting

Looks like a modest 7.0 racing game for the PS4.

Its not like it has any competition at the moment and you get to play it for free.

Im gonna try it

You know the reviews for this have almost made me happy after playing the Crew Beta. The handling, the story I couldn't care about, the useless open world, I hated. I just wanted to race, and it looks like DRIVECLUB will give me that. The only question is will the free version make me buy the full version or not I guess.

I haven't payed attention to Project Cars, but is that open world?

I'm a PS4 only owner and have no interest in LBP3 and Driveclub seems to be something that won't hold my attention for long.

Wii U has Smash Bros and Bayonetta 2.

Xbox One has Master Chief Collection and others.

So for me the PS4 this Christmas looks pretty barren unless I can persuade myself to replay GTAV all over again.

True but the PS4 will get most of my playing time since it is my preferred console for 3rd party games now. Plus I have no interest in playing the Master Chief Collection or Smash Bros (never was my cup of tea), but I am all over Bayonetta 2.

Reviews have gone as I expected (a bit higher, honestly). While DC excels on the on-track experience, the team made odd omissions that simply make it a worse and less accessible video game when compared to it's contemporaries. Non-custom liveries, European only car list, and the still incomplete feature set are tough pills to swallow. Fortunately, the current-gen racing landscape is barren, especially on the PS4, and DC is pretty much the only show in town.

The F2P PS+ edition was a great move for people on the fence.

None of the above that you mentioned actually effects the gameplay of the game.

So 2014 Driveclub is a 6 despite being a solid racer but will be a 10 next year when it has 150+ more events, more cars, and more paint colors?

Daffy Duck

"Your opponents are concerned above all else with the prescribed racing line, regardless of which car they drive, favoring the most aggressive possible speeds down the clearest, most obvious route. This lack of adaptability isn't much of a concern early in your tour, but when the cars get faster and the courses get more labyrinthine, AI racers tend to clump up around certain curves and ignore the presence of other vehicles, including your own. AI vehicles prefer collisions to deviations from the line, often smashing into you from behind and sending you careening into the vehicle in front of you, or sliding onto the shoulder, simply because you took the path most appropriate for your car."

Sounds like great fun, I'll give the PS+ edition a go to see how gorgeous it is, but I feared all along it was all style and no substance. I did get caught in the hype though.

BigDug13

So it's basically a driving Killzone. Can't hide game play under under shiny graphics.

What gameplay? What innovations to driving a fucking car are reviewers expecting? It's a racing game. What would people rather see it do? If it gets the feel of driving a car right and the excitement of racing down, isn't that all we should expect from a standard racing game? Are standard racing games no longer good enough?

labaronx

Next year will hopefully be awesome with Bloodborne, MGS, Uncharted (no delays pls), and Batman but this first year and change has been terrible. Nothing but indie bleh and mediocre "next gen" experiences. Sony dropped the ball after they started selling consoles like gangbusters.

Another disappointment, glad I purchased my PS4 at a huge discount otherwise I'd be feeling that early adopter burn even worse than it already is.

Ps4 not worth buying til next year...... glad I purchased my ps4 at a huge discount

What???

T.O.P

Banned
"Your opponents are concerned above all else with the prescribed racing line, regardless of which car they drive, favoring the most aggressive possible speeds down the clearest, most obvious route. This lack of adaptability isn't much of a concern early in your tour, but when the cars get faster and the courses get more labyrinthine, AI racers tend to clump up around certain curves and ignore the presence of other vehicles, including your own. AI vehicles prefer collisions to deviations from the line, often smashing into you from behind and sending you careening into the vehicle in front of you, or sliding onto the shoulder, simply because you took the path most appropriate for your car."

jesus

Ugh.

It's pretty crazy how PS4 has the most lackluster lineup this holiday season while Xbox and Wii U are miles behind in sales.

Third party games are what sell console's these days. I also think that people want the most powerful console, since everybody is on the internet these days, buyers will do a bit of research before spending 400$ on a console, and make sure they get the best bang for there buck.

Maybe people will learn that beautiful doesn't mean good. I've said that I'll play only the "free" version, I'll stick with this (and I have canceled FH 2 pre order because the game was too short so waiting for complete edition.. if I'm still buying it).

You kidding? This might be the end for the studio.

The game already had HUGE production problems that delayed it a full year and now it's reviewing horribly. Wipeout 2048 was an incredible game released by Studio Liverpool yet it wasn't enough to save that studio.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Evolution disappear after this, unfortunately.

To early to say with PS+ version out there.

Septic360

Banned
127.gif

keram

mmmmhhh ... one year delay and still DC is just an "average" racer ?!

Is it just me or does the released version not match the previous shown graphics quality ?!?

Fbh

Quite dissapointing.

But it looks fun and any ps+ user can check it out so reviews shouldn't be that important.

Still...Sony has to step it up with their exclusives. Scores are important to a lot of people and it seems like right now only Naughty Dog is getting 85+ scores.

It seems to me like they are focusing too much on graphics and not enough on the rest

Izuna

Banned
Wow. Didn't really expect it to get these sorts of reviews. I wanna play the free version myself though.

Alej

Banned
First Destiny, now this. Okay reviewers, fellow gamers, etc. I quit. It seems no one is able to enjoy things like they are. Gaming press is changing, any game has to be perfect because of fanboy wars and constant hating on the internet.

This is a good game. DC is totally fine and very fun to play.

Silky

Banned
You haven't seen last gen software sales?

Xrd as a fighting game as more of an appeal on the consoles the majority already owns instead of the PS4. There's also a lot working I the PS3 versions favor. Free online, old equipment works on PS3 like sticks and pads, arguably a larger community, easier for TOs to do tournaments.

In all honesty the PS4 version only has its resolution working for It. I mean I'm not spending another 150+ for a PS4 stick for one fighting game.

But that's another discussion for another day.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I'll give the PS+ version a go I guess.

I do know what reviewers are getting at though, I think, when they say it's missing something. Some games you play and even if they're competent and solid they're just missing something. Like a spark of life.

Killzone, for instance, is a shell of a game. It blinks and it salivates like a living game but it has no soul.

R1CHO

I like Jeff. I like Giantbomb, but watching this is infuriating. How is he not clear on what ps+ subscribers get? It hasn't been mixed messaging, it's been crystal clear, and he simply and obviously hasn't even tried to find an answer to that question, because it's out there in the open for anyone that wants to know. Just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

They are not big on info and facts on that web, they don't give a shit, it's like they are some random guys from the street.

Some harsh words on those reviews. Some reviewers even looked pissed. lol

Man, I really dislike when they criticize the "lack of innovation", "no soul". Pure garbage.

iNvid02

visuals always looked pretty decent but it never came across as anything like an exceptional racing game from what they had shown, expected scores to be honest

But none of that makes any difference to his opinion of the game, he is playing the full version and judging it accordingly. It's not even as bad as not knowing the price of a game (which can affect a review due to money spent/content included).

Bought the game last night and spent about 3 hours playing it. I really like it. Can't wait to jump back in. Another case of reviews are just like opinions, man.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You know the reviews for this have almost made me happy after playing the Crew Beta. The handling, the story I couldn't care about, the useless open world, I hated. I just wanted to race, and it looks like DRIVECLUB will give me that. The only question is will the free version make me buy the full version or not I guess.

I haven't payed attention to Project Cars, but is that open world?

True but the PS4 will get most of my playing time since it is my preferred console for 3rd party games now. Plus I have no interest in playing the Master Chief Collection or Smash Bros (never was my cup of tea), but I am all over Bayonetta 2.

project cars is basically GT - circuit based sim racer.

If you're a racing fan you actually have a nice menu of choices available and something should suit your tastes
- DC is a straight shooting corridor racer with gorgeous looks
- FH2 is open world with lots of smashing through bushes and jumps like the Dukes of Hazard
- Project Cars is a more hardcore sim with real racetracks
- The Crew is an odd open world CARPG

Top Bottom