• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub Review Thread.

Other than Grid and Project Car and the big 2 (Forza and GT) circuit racers have died down, in favor of open world racing games.

My point was that great circuit based racers can still score high scores today. Driveclub's problems weren't related to it being a track based racer. It simply didn't have enough meat on the bones, and it's general design is so bland.

I've pointed this out in prior conversations about Driveclub, but it basically looked like a boring as hell version of GRID. This is what an exciting track based racer can look like. Dynamic crashes, unpredictable AI, incredible replays, a career system with some bells and whistles layered on top, etc.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Hey, now that I look at it, reviews actually aren't that bad aside from the Gamespot and Eurogamer review. Polygon even gave it a higher score than FH2.

yep, not too bad at all. Everybody is flipping out at gamespot and eurogamer but I suppose that is traditional in a review thread for an anticipated game.

Daffy Duck

basically everyone didn't like that it's about racing a car on a track.

that's what i've been finding about games reviewers. they all want the same things.

sadly, it's about driving on a track which is boring for most of these reviewers.

Well for me, the penalty system for cutting corners is a massive turn off, it looks downright awful and could ruin my enjoyment. Seems like Ridge Racer without the concrete grass.

Was this actually ran in an ad or is that the headline for a preview/review?

Holy shit.

As much as a Forza Killer as Killzone is a Halo killer.

Was in a video they had for the game a week or so back.

I love GiantBomb, but Jeff is nothing but an old man telling kids to get off his lawn and how everything sucks today. Hearing him trying to go against every positive thing someone like Brad has to say is the most annoying part of the podcast. I like Jeff, but lord he is turning into the most jaded gamer ever.

Can't disagree too much with that statement. His likes are also really inconsistent.

Violater

I expected solid 7s but 5/10 ouch...
Also words like passion and romance are just fucking disrespectful to the developers who put so much of themselves into making the game, wtf have these reviewers ever done?

Well you can certainly tell which reviewers didn't even want to play the game. That has been my problem with many reviews this gen, you can tell how will score just based on the general disinterest in the title in the first place. One can say that that may be a reflection of the product itself as well, but in the case of Driveclub they just wanted a totally different game. You would hear press prior to release saying "it's a racing game" as if to say "so what? Why should I care?". I don't think that is a great way to approach a review.

Note to developers, want better reviews? Make your game open world. Which is unfortunate because there are many who don't want that. Just look at how many press members are looking forward to the Crew, even when early impressions haven't been great.

RyudBoy

vd5AHXE.jpg

I don't think so

This is real or photoshopped? Just LOL if it's a real quote from them.

Tak3n

Banned
in that Giantbomb youtube video he says the AI sticks to its invisible racing line without fail, even pushing you into a wall, if you happen to be on the line it is programmed to be on

is that the case? as that is unforgivable, how does that get past QA

Awww... Im a bit surprised with some of these scores.

I was pretty much certain of getting this day one but reading the Gamespot and Eurogamer has got me worried. Seems like I might find it very sterile. Certainly don't like the idea of the game restricting speed because I venture off the asphalt slightly.

I'll read a few reviews later but surprised nonetheless by the reception so far.

ZoddGutts

Had a feeling this would score lower than Horizon 2. Non of the videos impress me racing/handling wise. Sure it looked prettier than Horizon 2 but I prefer Horizon 2 more openess and handling.

No, it's track based sim like Forza or GT.

Depending on how I feel about the free PS+ DRIVECLUB, I may save my money for Project Cars now.

Yup, that's all true for me too and third party games are why PS4 was my go to choice. All I'm saying is that it's surprising that the console winning the current console war has a weak exclusive holiday lineup compared to it's competitors.

To be honest no one really has strong holiday first party lineup right now (well maybe Nintendo if you are new to the console). It looks like 2015 will be the year we finally see that change.

shem935

Banned
What the freaking heck. I was totally digging everyone's reactions as they started playing last night. I have no idea what other reviewers are thinking. I guess I can read some things and shake my head after a little while.

My GameTrailers Review for those who missed it - 8.6 (am I going to be the highest or what?) http://www.gametrailers.com/reviews/hk4dfa/driveclub-review

Hey....good review. You criticized actual problems of the game and recognized it's focus. Excellent work.

TTOOLL

It seems they spent all their resources on building an amazing weather system, stunning graphics and good driving mechanics. It's ok for me, that's the first game that made me want a PS4. It does not have a lot of content though (cars, tracks, events).

in that Giantbomb youtube video he says the AI sticks to its invisible racing line without fail, even pushing you into a wall, if you happen to be on the line it is programmed to be on

Gran Turismo has had that same problem for the last 6 games.

Fbh

I get almost the exact feeling playing Driveclub as I did with Zillzone. Being great looking just ins't enough

It seems to be the problem most Sony exclusives are having.

Killzone: Ok shooter with great graphics
Infamous: Ok sandbox with great graphics
Driveclub: From reviews sounds like an ok racer with great graphics
The Order: From all the previews I've read it sounds like an ok shooter with great graphics

They need to start focusing on games that have more than just graphics.
Bloodborne looks like a great first step

basically everyone didn't like that it's about racing a car on a track.

that's what i've been finding about games reviewers. they all want the same things.

sadly, it's about driving on a track which is boring for most of these reviewers.

Yeah, because games about driving on a track have never reviewed well before...

Bold One

What the freaking heck. I was totally digging everyone's reactions as they started playing last night. I have no idea what other reviewers are thinking. I guess I can read some things and shake my head after a little while.

My GameTrailers Review for those who missed it - 8.6 (am I going to be the highest or what?) http://www.gametrailers.com/reviews/hk4dfa/driveclub-review

you and your reviewer friends need to have a sit down and really think about what makes a game good and realise that you can't re-invent the wheel everytime you make a game.

start reviewing games for what they are, not what you wish them to be

pr0cs

I'm just glad there is a demo so I can make judgement for myself.
I really wish I would have played the Destiny beta.

I love all the posters latching on to these scores and using it to create some kind of narrative, without even attempting to judge it for themselves.

This completely ruined GT for me (I don't know how strict it was but it was completely immersion breaking)

Might have to skip and just try the demo.

Smurf

Banned
Reviewers seem to be disappointed with a whole lot this year, can't say I blame them.

Makes a nice change from the kind of suspicious mass overscoring going on at this stage in the last generation with the likes of GTA IV.
Reviewers seem to be demanding more from games which is more in line with consumer sentiment I would think.

Silky

Banned
It seems to be the problem most Sony exclusives are having.

Killzone: Ok shooter with great graphics
Infamous: Ok sandbox with great graphics
Driveclub: From reviews sounds like an ok racer with great graphics
The Order: From all the previews I've read it sounds like an ok shooter with great graphics

They need to start focusing on games that have more than just graphics.
Bloodborne looks like a great first step

Killzone has great gameplay.

Top Bottom