• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub weather update out NOW. laawwwwwd.gif

Handling is fine. As long as you remember you need to feather the gas around a corner, if you just put your pedal to the metal all the time you'll spin out all the time.

alatif113

I'm completely against this practice. Developers/publishers need to be punished for not releasing products in a "complete" and/or working state instead of being encouraged to do so with re-reviews of their games.

Only now is Driveclub nearing the state it should've been released in in the first place.

Fuck out of here with that shit. Reviews are there to help potential buyers make their purchasing decision. If the game has changed significantly through patches and added content, reviewers should be transparent to their audience and the review should definitely reflect these changes. The devs were punished with the initial average review scores, which hurt sales. But guess what? They apologized, gave away some free content and got their shit together. You just have to learn to get over things.

NeoRausch

Yeah. Damn I can't wait for challenges tomorrow and weather events in future dlc!

Driveclub - GAF, I fully expect to be bombarded with challenges tomorrow!!

I'm going to put in so much time time in this game now that the challenges are out and the washer is coming so soon.

Does the weather have influence on the steering?

Bedlam

Fuck out of here with that shit. Reviews are there to help potential buyers make their purchasing decision. If the game has changed significantly through patches and added content, reviewers should be transparent to their audience and the review should definitely reflect these changes. The devs were punished with the initial average review scores, which hurt sales. But guess what? They apologized, gave away some free content and got their shit together. You just have to learn to get over things.
It's that kind of attitude that allows developers and publishers to get away with releasing broken and uncomplete products again and again.

If you put your product out on shelves, you deserve the respective reaction and you can't expect that everyone jumps everytime you repair your broken shit or deliver key features way after release.

Disclaimer: I have DC lying around on my desk, still wrapped in plastic. I was one of the people who were pretty hyped for this game and I find it sad how things have turned out. I will play it soonish but I don't expect any re-reviews from the press. And I hope no outlet actually does it. Get your shit together when it counts and demand money from us.

If anything, this year of broken releases has shown how little this industry respects its consumers.

Shaneus

It's that kind of attitude that allows developers and publishers to get away with releasing broken and uncomplete products again and again.

If you put your product out on shelves, you deserve the respective reaction and you can't expect that everyone jumps everytime you repair your broken shit or deliver key features way after release.

Disclaimer: I have DC lying around on my desk, still wrapped in plastic. I was one of the people who were pretty hyped for this game and I find it sad how things have turned out. I will play it soonish but I don't expect any re-reviews from the press. And I hope no outlet actually does it. Get your shit together when it counts and demand money from us.

If anything, this year of broken releases has shown how little this industry respects its consumers.
So you haven't played it yet? How would you know if it's worthy of re-review or not?

Reviews online need to be considered for re-evaluation if the product significantly changes. Games these days aren't like movies (or cartridge-based games from the 16-bit era and earlier) that remain identical through the life of their consumption, they change and develop like a restaurant. A movie reviewed badly a year ago isn't going to change, but a restaurant reviewed badly a year ago most certainly deserves another chance if it's known things have improved for the better.

alatif113

Its your own fault for purchasing the game because if I recall correctly the initial reviews gave DC hell for the fuck up it was. It hurt them when it came to sales on release week. THAT was their punishment. THAT should be the incentive for pubs not to release unfinished games. It isn't something that should be held over their heads forever if the problems were fixed. If anything, your purchase was the incentive for pubs to continue doing this, not the possible chance their game might get re-reviewed.

drotahorror

Its your own fault for purchasing the game because if I recall correctly the initial reviews gave DC hell for the fuck up it was. It hurt them when it came to sales on release week. THAT was their punishment. THAT should be the incentive for pubs not to release unfinished games. It isn't something that should be held over their heads forever if the problems were fixed. If anything, your purchase was the incentive for pubs to continue doing this, not the possible chance their game might get re-reviewed.

I believe he's a reviewer and was given the game anyway. He was hype for it but when he heard other reviewers didn't like it, he decided it wasn't worth his time (speculating).

And yeah, I'm sure there will be plenty more punishment for Evo down the road. Layoffs, possibly being shutdown, etc. Deserved though right? It really is a shame that the press shit all over this game, and not just the broken network features. They shit on everything. One of the best handling, most fun racing games I've ever played. 4/10.

QaaQer

I believe he's a reviewer and was given the game anyway. He was hype for it but when he heard other reviewers didn't like it, he decided it wasn't worth his time (speculating).

And yeah, I'm sure there will be plenty more punishment for Evo down the road. Layoffs, possibly being shutdown, etc. Deserved though right? It really is a shame that the press shit all over this game, and not just the broken network features. They shit on everything. One of the best handling, most fun racing games I've ever played. 4/10.

Games have to be immediately accessible to woo reviewers. That's why deep games with learning curves are like hen's teeth on console. I think evo sold this to Sony by having a free version which would side step the reviewer problem. As such, we won't know how successful the strat was until the free version has been out for a while and Sony knows what the upsell numbers are like. I really hope it works because it is the first f2p strategy I've seen that actually could produce good console games.

yurinka

If you have a problem with the handling in Driveclub, please learn to play racing games because it's totally fine.

And thunder and lighting.

rick-james-gimme.gif

Oh if there is thunder and lightning i would lose my shit ....

and still continue to race

kyser73

The grip and lateness of braking is illogical. I've spent too much time in GT for it to make sense to me, I'm braking too early for every corner and getting shunted by the AI on a regular basis. I can't / won't untrain myself. I want it to be PGR2 but it just isn't. The further you progress, the less sense it makes.

And yet you like The Crew.

Merun

The online problem of Driveclub is the result of human mistake. Developers are people you know. They work night and day to release a game, and let me tell you a secret; bugs are a developer worst nightmare. They don't need anyone to tell them "please release a bug free game" because developers take pride in their work. But it happens that bug pass through testing, some minor, some major. I'm sure people at Evo have already banged their head against the wall when they realised that the online bug passed. In fact, the only way for them to find the problem before release would have been an open beta closer to the release condition, and then add another 2-3 months delay.

Re-reviewing won't change the message to "it's ok to release broken game". They released it without knowing that it was broken.

About other broken releases of the year; if some obvious bug got through testing and QA, then the problem is probably in the higher echelon who doesn't want to delay their release and/or respect their own developers, and for whom it might be ok to release broken game.

I'm not going to talk about unfinished game as it doesn't apply to DC. They were clear about the features coming with patches.

benzy

EGOMON

Wait people having problem with DC handling?!
I know people have different preferences but this game handling is like the perfect middle-ground between Arcade and sim that can suit both parties.

Shaneus

It's funny, I made that comment about the ignore list earlier but I then realised I never noticed the reply, just the quotes. Turns out I already had my ignore list in check. Woo!

Carl

Good to hear this game is now working and that weather is on the way. Well done Evo for getting that out by the promised date :) Actually really tempted to buy this now. Might wait for boxing day sales incase anyone has it at a good price. Also, i have enough games to be playing right now...

Top Bottom