• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub weather update out NOW. laawwwwwd.gif

TEH-CJ

Banned
Ain't a thing wrong with the handling.

Handling is perfect. But the gear ratios and grip of the cars need tweaking. Too many aids on some of the cars.

Man what I would do for a hardcore mode :( any possibility this could be in future patch? Hardcore mode with no aids, more like a sim. It would be amazing!

could someone please tweet that idea to Evolution?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
He has gone on multiple, nervous rants where he just slams the game. (On their podcast) It comes off strange because nobody else on the podcast has apparently played the game for themselves. I can understand not liking the controls, but he just states that there is no redeeming factor to it at all, and that it is simply a bad game.

That's just weird to me.

I mean, from the point of view of him, a person who didn't enjoy the handling, thought the game felt stale, was lacking options when it came to cars and customization, and then watched the total clusterfuck that was the launch of the game, I think his views on the game can be pretty reasonably understood.

Ishan

I'm completely against this practice. Developers/publishers need to be punished for not releasing products in a "complete" and/or working state instead of being encouraged to do so with re-reviews of their games.

Only now is Driveclub nearing the state it should've been released in in the first place.

cs go would like to have a word with you. Im against online and other components not working but adding weather and extra features is perfectly fine imo.

The store is just preventing you from buying the full price edition since you're a PS+ member, maybe?

The upgrade edition should be available, and it's basically the full game with the PS+ discount applied.
Just get this one if you can.

Cool sounds good

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Yep.

It wouldn't work well on the older tour events, they have to reset alot of things and adjust new times and such.

That is a bit of false advertising; a big deal is made about dynamic races but it won't be fully integrated / happens to be in dlc.

le-seb

I think new DLC tour events will feature weather, but the previous tour events won't.
Yeah. It would mess the leader boards big time if an event previously ran on a dry track suddenly ran on a sloppy track.

That is a bit of false advertising; a big deal is made about dynamic races but it won't be fully integrated / happens to be in dlc.
What?

You'll be able to send challenges featuring custom weather conditions.
Nothing to do with the tour events where they are fixed.

benzy

The dynamic races was in regards to changing time of day and cloud cover. Rain and snow was never talked about until June of this year, in which case they've always said it would be patched in shortly after release.

djjinx2

You can make a single event with weather, or multiplayer races and challenges.

Sounds like a stupid idea not false advertising to me.

Finally sat down and played a few races tonight, that X Bow in bonnet cam holy shit!

Got my pulse's on using my new projector :D
Weather is going to blow my mind isn't it..

meppi

I'm kind of mad at Jeff Gerstmann for being so vehemently against the handling physics in the game -_-

Excited for weather though.
Nothing to be mad about. It has long been established that he had shit taste in games, so him bitching about this game is a plus for me. ;)

One thing I would like to see included is separate score tables in time trials depending on what weather condition you race on any certain track.
No idea if that's going to be in there from day 1, but it certainly should be something that has to be given some serious thought as racing in clean weather conditions will give you a big advantage over people who play the same track in snow or rain for example.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The dynamic races was in regards to changing time of day and cloud cover. Rain and snow was never talked about until June of this year, in which case they've always said it would be patched in shortly after release.

Then I didn't see that weather was not originally included in dynamic events. I thought the game shipped with the intended tour experience incomplete.

QaaQer

I'm completely against this practice. Developers/publishers need to be punished for not releasing products in a "complete" and/or working state instead of being encouraged to do so with re-reviews of their games.

yeah, wack em on the nose with a newspaper.

Software isn't a regular product like a can opener that either works or it doesn't. The only reasons imho to get mad at devs is if they don't fix it and/or they are scammers and/or you cannot get your money back.

Shaneus

I for one can't wait to get out in the weather in the open-cockpit cars. Hooning around that new Scotland track (whose name I forget) in the Mono or Atom with helmet cam and water streaming all over my face (ALL OVER MY FACE) and headphones donned should be fucking incredible.

I think I might be able to retire PGR4. Or at least, pack it away for a little while. If it can beat the baked-in weather in that (first game I ever saw that did standing water/aquaplaning) I'll be so, so happy.

I'm SHOCKED. Can people tell how SHOCKED I am?

Can't wait :)
Damn you and your inside information :p

Oh man, I hope they've patched a way to access photo mode when using a wheel.
I'll feel really neglected, otherwise...
I'm still praying that one of these big updates will include stealth G27 support.

The track reminded me of Rad Mobile for some reason. I wish I could have a little Sackboy doll hanging from my mirror. Must be because of the way the road tilted.

1054032535.jpg
Oh god, that would be insane! Flashback to Encino Man.

I'm afraid it appears Jeff has become a grumpy man-boy with age.

DC had the most controller accessible/rewarding handling physics of any racer I've played.
I'd say it's as satisfying as PGR4. Need to play them back-to-back to verify.

Then I didn't see that weather was not originally included in dynamic events. I thought the game shipped with the intended tour experience incomplete.
Not at all. Even if it was, they couldn't patch in weather at a later date to those events without having to adjust for all the people who already completed them. Makes no sense to patch them into the original events.

Hugstable

Banned
You can make a single event with weather, or multiplayer races and challenges.

Sounds like a stupid idea not false advertising to me.

Finally sat down and played a few races tonight, that X Bow in bonnet cam holy shit!

Got my pulse's on using my new projector :D
Weather is going to blow my mind isn't it..

Ugg I hate the XBOW, still can't 3 star that damn event!

Rajang

Once I get my PS4 (february) I bet DrivClub will finally be a fantastic racer, online and offline.

I prefer Evolution Studio's goes back to MotorStorm though. I love that franchise. I would love to see how a "next-gen" MotorStorm would look and play like.

spwolf

yeah, wack em on the nose with a newspaper.

Software isn't a regular product like a can opener that either works or it doesn't. The only reasons imho to get mad at devs is if they don't fix it and/or they are scammers and/or you cannot get your money back.

yep... I got the DC right now - because I just got the PS4... but if I had gotten it in October, I would expect low score due to multiplayer issues - at the same time, I expect higher score now, with them adding free DLC for extra features that make game even more fun.

So in reality, reviews should be changed right after launch if significant issues are discovered but also after updates that fix or improve the experience, because someone reading the review now (of any game) might be under false impression if it isnt updated to current status.

So update them both for issues and for improvements.

Right now, when multiplayer does not work, this is usually not effected in review score because reviewers test before the game is out and usually multiplayer is perfect then.

Only now is Driveclub nearing the state it should've been released in in the first place.

They were, it reviewed relatively badly.

Oppo

great news.

loudninja- do you happen to know when the Replay function is being added, roughly? that's the last piece for me to make the game really complete.

le-seb

Are the new weather tour events only unlocked if you've completed all the regular tours?
If it's anything like the Photo Finish and Ignition packs, the events will be available independently.
I can't imagine the regular Tour events being expanded to include new events featuring advanced weather.

For those asking about replay, I heard that Evo plans on adding a *new feature* each month.

I believe replay is the January one - not positive, though.

DirtyLarry

People are claiming Driveclubs handling is purely arcade yet they have never tried the game out. Clearly there is an issue here. One just cannot be so certain the handling is "arcade" unless they have played the game.

Well I have played the game, and I can absolutely assure anyone who is questioning it that DC's handling is not purely arcade. In fact the handling itself no doubt is mostly realistic. Where it is not a simulation is you are not tuning anything. Cars are what they are. But the handling itself? Very damn realistic actually.

It is a pretty challenging racing game. You do need some actual driving skill to be very good at it. It really is that simple.
An "arcade" racer means the handling is forgiving. You can fuck up multiple times and still place in 1st or meet the objective. Fuck up more than once in Driveclub, you will not come in first place. You will not get the time required for the objective.

This, 1000000 times

I still can't comprehend the lack of customization of control schemes

No kidding! For something that would be so simple to implement, some games would rather lock you in to the one crappy setup they chose. Compared to some games, DC is actually decent for customization.

Tommi84

Man what I would do for a hardcore mode
Not until they allow me to use my G27 steering wheel. I dont care for more realism as that would be a suicide while using gamepad. Iknow it's Sony/Logitech fault. They still have the possibility of fixing this mess

Great, can't wait to try the weather effects tomorrow, although my most wanted feature right now is private lobbies.

Btw, the handling in this game is simply perfect. It's the same "arcade, but not so much" kind of physics PGR had. I love it!

People are claiming Driveclubs handling is purely arcade yet they have never tried the game out. Clearly there is an issue here. One just cannot be so certain the handling is "arcade" unless they have played the game.

Well I have played the game, and I can absolutely assure anyone who is questioning it that DC's handling is not purely arcade. In fact the handling itself no doubt is mostly realistic. Where it is not a simulation is you are not tuning anything. Cars are what they are. But the handling itself? Very damn realistic actually.

It is a pretty challenging racing game. You do need some actual driving skill to be very good at it. It really is that simple.
An "arcade" racer means the handling is forgiving. You can fuck up multiple times and still place in 1st or meet the objective. Fuck up more than once in Driveclub, you will not come in first place. You will not get the time required for the objective.

I feel like the handling falls somewhere between the 2 forzas. Its not like driving an unresponsive boat in Forza, but then you cant just slam into cars and take every corner at high speeds like Horizon. Perfect balance imo.

Challenges are where it's at. Just play them with your friends, it adds to the single event experience.

Agreed. I love challenges. They are so good. I think the DC points reward goes up as more and more players participate in a challenge. So fun.

Hugstable

Banned

It's classified as an arcade racer because of how the game is structured. Everyone that's played the game knows the physics are simcade with a lean towarda sim. I definitely wouldn't say it's straight sim though.

Krakn3Dfx

Driveclub got.

Walmart has it for $49.42 right now if anyone is looking to pick up a copy.

Which just happened to be roughly 77 cents cheaper than Kinect Sports Rivals after tax, which worked out really well for me.

Top Bottom