• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Durante Presents: FFXIII resolution unlocking (GeDoSaTo plugin) released - pre-alpha

And thank you for your hard work when they're done. I've never been able to stomach Xbox button prompts. They bug the crap out of me.

I really wish devs would start putting that stuff into their PC games, especially now that PS4 is presumably the lead platform most of the time. The assets are already made, just let us have them!

Mkilbride

Banned
I really wish devs would start putting that stuff into their PC games, especially now that PS4 is presumably the lead platform most of the time. The assets are already made, just let us have them!

From what I've gathered, it has to do with Microsoft owning Windows & Xbox, and not giving official support for PS controllers.

Despite the fact they can run on PC, they usually run as emulated X360 controllers / and not many games support them unless you use a program like DS4Fix or something. Sony basically doesn't want to pay cash to Microsoft to allow them to release on their operating system officially. It is frustrating.

Especially considering that the DualShock design is the most used controller in the world, regardless of what Xbox controller fans will tell you. I just can't used to the big hunky goliath that is an xbox controller, I also find their colorful, round buttons distracting, and their Joystick placement far to awkward to be usable. My DS4 fits my hands so naturally as all the DualShocks before it. I tried the new Xbox controller in stores recently and it just feels so un-natural.

golem09

Neo Member
I haven't followed the texture thing all thang closely, when somebody makes the PS buttons, do we even have a way to insert them into the game at this point?

Mkilbride

Banned
I haven't followed the texture thing all thang closely, when somebody makes the PS buttons, do we even have a way to insert them into the game at this point?

We've had a way all along.

GeDoSaTo. It merely had to be able to dump the textures do they new the name of the textures to replace.

From what I've gathered, it has to do with Microsoft owning Windows & Xbox, and not giving official support for PS controllers.

Despite the fact they can run on PC, they usually run as emulated X360 controllers / and not many games support them unless you use a program like DS4Fix or something. Sony basically doesn't want to pay cash to Microsoft to allow them to release on their operating system officially. It is frustrating.

Especially considering that the DualShock design is the most used controller in the world, regardless of what Xbox controller fans will tell you. I just can't used to the big hunky goliath that is an xbox controller, I also find their colorful, round buttons distracting, and their Joystick placement far to awkward to be usable. My DS4 fits my hands so naturally as all the DualShocks before it. I tried the new Xbox controller in stores recently and it just feels so un-natural.

They could still just offer the icons as an in-game option. FF14 does it.

Parsnip

Not at the moment, one that I could find anyway.
It's possible I missed a tool though somewhere on the internets though. Scouring message boards for mod tools for a 5 year old game is a pain in the butt, dead links everywhere.

We've had a way all along.

GeDoSaTo. It merely had to be able to dump the textures do they new the name of the textures to replace.

Nope. Check Durante's latest blog entry.

About texture dumping/replacement: After getting the current GeDoSaTo facilities to work (more or less) on FF13, I figured out that most interesting textures (e.g. the fonts) aren’t actually being loaded using D3DX, so the existing mechanisms don’t help at all. I have a different method in mind (for a long time now actually), but this will take some time to implement.

Tnecniv

Neo Member
Out of the box, FFXIII uses 4xMSAA but no AF.

Side note, anyone gotten Vsync to work on this game with an AMD card? Tried forcing it and double vsync in radeon pro and I'm still getting tearing up the whazzoo.

If that's the case, that is some low quality in-game msaa they are using. Another comparison -

Out of the box, 720p not scaled, nothing forced:
15495549946_ab442ecd35_o.png

720p not scaled, driver 4xMSAA, 16xAF:
15331815759_cd17e12a44_o.png

+1 for driver msaa.

Mkilbride

Banned
They could still just offer the icons as an in-game option. FF14 does it.

XIV is kind of a special case due to it's cross-platform nature. But yes, I agree it would be nice if devs included them, especially from some PS3 games that come to PCm, it'd be a good option.

All I know is it costs Sony extra money to, and so they don't.

Mkilbride

Banned
If that's the case, that is some low quality in-game msaa they are using. Another comparison -

Out of the box, 720p not scaled, nothing forced:
15495549946_ab442ecd35_o.png

720p not scaled, driver 4xMSAA, 16xAF:
15331815759_cd17e12a44_o.png

+1 for driver msaa.

They use MSAA for some in-game transparency effects.

Top is without...bottom is with. If you turn off the in-game AA, you get the results shown at the top.

Your shot also shows your GPU working harder for minimal increase. I don't see a massive difference between the two shots - but then again, they are both 720p.

Tnecniv

Neo Member
They use MSAA for some in-game transparency effects.

Top is without...bottom is with. If you turn off the in-game AA, you get the results shown at the top.

Your shot also shows your GPU working harder for minimal increase. I don't see a massive difference between the two shots - but then again, they are both 720p.
The most noticeable difference if just quickly glancing at it would be that red road sign at the bottom left center of the screen. Looks a bit cleaner w/driver msaa.

Am on GTX980 and power management set to adaptive, core and memory clocks are pretty much close to idle even w/MSAA forced. The clocks ramp up to proper speed when setting it maximum performance, and or when all of the other goodies are applied:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=133998794&postcount=1535
15514898292_7724aefe7b_o.jpg

golem09

Neo Member
Not at the moment, one that I could find anyway.
It's possible I missed a tool though somewhere on the internets though. Scouring message boards for mod tools for a 5 year old game is a pain in the butt, dead links everywhere.

Nope. Check Durante's latest blog entry.

Too bad, just in case, I made this:

ff13buttonsps.png
ff13buttonspsblue.png

I prefer blue, the original yellow is fugly.

Jinko

Getting missing ground textures during battle with this newest update (AMD R9 270), still crashing after 3-5 minutes also... meh.

Edit:- Nevermind did a complete reinstall of GeDoSa and it seems to be working now :S ... I think.

Eyothrie

I've got the game locked to 30fps, and I'm still noticing what appears to be stutter. My OSD shows a steady 30fps and a steady 33ms frame time, but I swear I'm seeing hitches. Anyone else? What could explain this?

It's definitely not a "smooth" 30fps. I'm limiting in nvidia Inspector, btw

Mkilbride

Banned
I've got the game locked to 30fps, and I'm still noticing what appears to be stutter. My OSD shows a steady 30fps and a steady 33ms frame time, but I swear I'm seeing hitches. Anyone else? What could explain this?

It's definitely not a "smooth" 30fps. I'm limiting in nvidia Inspector, btw

Sadly...this is part of the port. Don't expect it to be fixed. Everyone has this, be it they have a GeForce 8800 GT ot a 980.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FinalFanta...ttering_in_ff_xiii_pc_try_this_worked_for_me/

However, this helped me slightly .

Adaren

Sorry to be LTTP on this one, but were there any conclusions on how to make an AMD graphics card work harder for this game? I'm not too desirous of resolutions over 1080p, but I'd really love to get consistently over 30 FPS!

I just wanted to check with everyone, now that we know about the hud related framerate issue (especially in battles) is anyone getting a constant or near constant 60fps in battles?

I'm just running through tests with different resolutions and lowering all the other settings to see how possible it is to get 60fps during battles on my 7950 and 2500k@4000, so far it seems very unlikely that I'll be able to stabilize the framerate at 60 and my personal preference will be to max out IQ at a locked 30fps.

JINYX

Neo Member
So found out that hitting the back button on the xbox controller turns off the mini-map only. Now I'm holding 60fps @ 4k no problems outside of battle. In battle as soon as damage numbers appear I instantly drop to 30fps and hold there.

CentroXer

Banned
my first ever try with GeDoSaTo. Looks good I guess. Screenshot downsampled from 3840p to 1920p

specs:

i7 4820K @ 4.6 ghz
R9 280X 3GB VRAM

EtuuY3R.jpg

so I got everything looking great and running great, though I cant get GeDoSaTo screenshots to not fail, ive seen this discussed but not sure if theres a resolution

whoa, I got member, when did that happen

Parsnip

Too bad, just in case, I made this:

ff13buttonsps.png
ff13buttonspsblue.png

I prefer blue, the original yellow is fugly.

Looks good, nice and clean. Keep in mind that if and when we can replace them, you can also make them higher resolution, so that they will also look nice and sharp at 4K and such.

Zexen

what program are you using to display in game fps? or is it built into gedosato as a command?

Those yellow overlays are from RivaTuner, which come with Afterburner or PrecisionX. You can alter a line on GDST keybinds for enable the fps too.
Code:
#togglePerfInfo VK_SUBSTRACT
Just uncomment it.

Nekokevin

Neo Member
Downsampling to 2560x1440, still got some mad drops from 60 to 30fps (most of the time in battles), I have set my CPU to "max perf" on NVIDIA Control Pannel
My specs: GTX780 Windforce 3GO
i7 3770K 4GHZ
16GB RAM

If someone found a solution ... thanks!

TeyRon

yo im not great at this stuff, not yet atleast

i clearly missed where people explained already how to get it running at 8k and at 60fps instead of 30 could somebody please repost that info again

my hardware is 7950 / 8gb / i5 3330 so maybe theres a better setting for my pc because 8k is probably pushing my luck way too far

Invis

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but for anyone that:

• Has an NVIDIA card
  • Is capping at 30FPS for the moment
  • Getting screen tear
...you can use NVIDIA Inspector to solve it. Make sure you have the most up to date version (when you open Inspector, it'll tell you at the bottom if your version isn't up to date, just click it and let it update) and create a profile for FF13. Name it whatever, and link the ffxiiiimg.exe to the profile.

In the second section called "Sync and Refresh", the first option is "Frame Rame Limiter". Put it at 30FPS and hit Apply Changes in the top right.

Go into your profile into Control Panel and remove Adaptive (Half) if you had it on. If you used something else to cap, remove that restriction in the respective program. Bada-bing, bada-boom, no more tearing.

Nekokevin

Neo Member
Thank you so much for the fast reply but, I'm not "capped" at 30fps, the game in unstable, I mean, it turn to 60 from 30 in battles or cinematics ...

BONKERS

Everyone who is getting framerate drops when there are HUD elements on the screen, have you tried commenting out the injectPSHash and seeing if that fixes it?

You won't be able to toggle off the HUD, but I remember in the past when messing with RE5 simply HAVING a PShash enabled - even when not disabling the HUD - it would have effects on performance.

Try commenting out the injectPSHash line and see what that does for performance.

I don't see how this would be the case. Given the fact that the drops and problems exist sans gedosato

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I don't see how this would be the case. Given the fact that the drops and problems exist sans gedosato

I don't have the game so I can't test it, I just know there were examples when I was finding RE5's that just having the PSHash, even if it wasn't being used to disable anything at the time, would affect things. Thought it would be a reasonable lead.

There also might be a different PSHash that could help.

If it's NOT the actual HUD element drawing that's causing the drop and in fact something afterward (that may not be immediately recognizable), you might be able to find a PSHash that would no longer disable the HUD, but it wouldn't render whatever is the framerate tanker while still rendering the res of the HUD.

Again, I don't have the game so I can't test this but it might be worth trying out.

UnrealEck

Another day I've checked the Steam forums for an update from SE. Another day I'm dissapointed.

What engine is FFXV using? It looks like UE4 but I'm guessing it's another in-house engine.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Another day I've checked the Steam forums for an update from SE. Another day I'm dissapointed.

What engine is FFXV using? It looks like UE4 but I'm guessing it's another in-house engine.

It's the weekend bud. A weekend won't be coming until at earliest monday.

Also, I believe FFXV is using the in house Luminous engine.

Irobot82

Since I updated to the new build, the downsampling isn't working.

Ok, So AMD 7950 here.

4k doesn't work but 1440p does but I still have that blur issues where the top left corner of the screen is clear and the rest is blury, and my menues on screen are all cut off. Durante will get it all working soon enough.

Edit: Scratch all of that. Some how my ini game list was up to date but my GeDoSaTo version wasn't correct. LOL It's all up and running now.

s_mirage

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but for anyone that:

• Has an NVIDIA card
  • Is capping at 30FPS for the moment
  • Getting screen tear
...you can use NVIDIA Inspector to solve it. Make sure you have the most up to date version (when you open Inspector, it'll tell you at the bottom if your version isn't up to date, just click it and let it update) and create a profile for FF13. Name it whatever, and link the ffxiiiimg.exe to the profile.

In the second section called "Sync and Refresh", the first option is "Frame Rame Limiter". Put it at 30FPS and hit Apply Changes in the top right.

Go into your profile into Control Panel and remove Adaptive (Half) if you had it on. If you used something else to cap, remove that restriction in the respective program. Bada-bing, bada-boom, no more tearing.

No tearing yes but it causes constant stuttering for me. The approach I use instead is to use Nvidia inspector to set Vertical Sync to 1/2 refresh rate and Vertical Sync Tear Control to Standard. Frame rate locks to 30fps + no tearing + no stutters that aren't a result of the game itself provided the card can maintain the frame rate.

Since I updated to the new build, the downsampling isn't working.

Ok, So AMD 7950 here.

4k doesn't work but 1440p does but I still have that blur issues where the top left corner of the screen is clear and the rest is blury, and my menues on screen are all cut off. Durante will get it all working soon enough.

Is your issue related to the resolution you're using (your native res vs the downsampled res)? Have you tried a bunch of different resolutions to downsample from?

Parfait

The most noticeable difference if just quickly glancing at it would be that red road sign at the bottom left center of the screen. Looks a bit cleaner w/driver msaa.

Am on GTX980 and power management set to adaptive, core and memory clocks are pretty much close to idle even w/MSAA forced. The clocks ramp up to proper speed when setting it maximum performance, and or when all of the other goodies are applied:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=133998794&postcount=1535
15514898292_7724aefe7b_o.jpg

What program is that to check the fps/gpu load?

Top Bottom