• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2008 Sony Conference

EazyB

Banned
Pretty good showing from Sony. It's a bummer that I could only read the liveblog and haven't seen any of the videos because it seems like most of the content today was not announcements but instead trailers. I'll check the footage out when I get off work.

A few disappointments:
Home?
Hoped for a cheaper PS3
Nothing that made me think I needed to pick up a PS3

Still think I'll be holding off for a price drop. Decent show though.

cRIPticon

schuelma said:
Microsoft "won" the core audience just because of FF13

Nintendo guaranteed will "win" mainstream press.

How is that possible when it is on PS3 in all THREE major regions. No FF XIII in Japan = FAIL

GQman2121

Banned
Some of you are acting like FF13 is exclusive to the 360 now. It's still coming out on the PS3, why is it such a huge deal breaker? It's certainly not the End Game title that people make it out to be.

Basch

BobTheFork said:
No way, MS had nothing until the last seconds of the speech.
Sony:
bunch of unannounced psn games
bunch of unannounced psp games
New video content service, that starts uh TONIGHT
CRAZY unannounced ps3 project

Crying haters take your fantasy list and screw off.

Exactly what I'm thinking. The hell are people even comparing MS' stink fest to this glorious showing. F#ck! GAF, disappoints again. I'll never understand. MS showed a bunch of copy cat tech that are in fact light versions that in and of themselves are disappointing. They also showed off mainly multiplatform games that were still in fairly early stages. Few exclusives that only looked marginally impressive for the most part, except for Gears 2 (that was hot :D ). The conference was saved from being one of the worst conferences in existence by yet another multiplatform announcement (of which, the PS3 is still getting the game). Seriously, people, it's a no contest. Some of you have unrealisticly high expectations. What did you expect? Have you guys ever seen an E3 press conference. Wow. GAF, *shakes head* just no. You're not ever going to get much better than this. People complain about CG trailers all they want, but it is a target render of what they hope to accomplish. I'm done. I'm going to abandon this thread before it gets any worse. People can delude themselves all they want. I'm not going to take part in. Let the games speak for themselves.

By the way, I considered Resistance: Retribution to be quite a megaton, and has now become one of my most anticipated games. MAG was also. Oh, but I forgot. Only game series on their umpteenth sequel can be considered a megaton. Forget, new and amazing surprise exclusives, 'cause all we care about is just another figure head. Mascots for the win. *rolls eyes* And by the way, Insomniac is not developing Retribution. Some other studio is that has been working on it for a long time, I guess. Been nice sharing the enjoyment with everyone else. Good day. :D

purg3

slept with Malkin
cRIPticon said:
Resistance 2 says hey with a kick to the throat.

While the outdoor environments looked good, the indoor stuff was atrocious. Low res textures/low poly. Gears is able to handle both with surprising ease.

LCfiner

Opus Angelorum said:
I'll probably get lynched for this this, but Resistance 2 was a disappointment (except the scale).

The presentation and structure of the conference was great, but way overdrawn.

Content was solid, nothing really stood out. The focus was spread across the Playstation family, which diluted any points of interest.

The lack of clarity, especially around the release of Home is astonishing.

Nah, I agree. and a lot of the comments during the showing feel the same way.

When they first showed the monster, I was impressed. Bu then the gameplay that followed it looked pretty dull. the monster might as well be another building. it's all too scripted.

The Gears 2 gameplay demo (here I go comparing Resistance to Gears like in 06) looked much more impressive. Both visually and gameplay-wise.

Blader

cRIPticon said:

PS3 footage already seen earlier this year.

Running through a village and discovering a wife that likes when you belch.....ok....demoed.

Really? Do we need to discuss this again? Miis+XMB. Sony showed Home. Kicked MS's ass.

Great! Rent more badly compressed movies alongside other badly compressed movies already on XB360. Wait. What?
FF13 atomic bomb

Fixed :)

Snidely Whiplash, is that you?

PhatSaqs

Banned
Steroyd said:
I think the problem with Sony's conference is that everyone is concentrating and judging Sony too much on the PS3 "announcements"...
Maybe because "everyone" doesnt care about last gen and/or portable games?

linsivvi

I guess people who don't like this conference don't own a PSP....

BTW, why mention Fallout 3 and RE 5 as good points for the MS conference? They don't have enough exclusives to show off or what?

It's a sad fucking day when people are so brainwashed by Console Wars (TM) that they think a multiplatform announcement "Wins" E3.

Sometimes I'm sad to be called a 'hardcore gamer' because it lumps me with some of the simplest minds in the world.

WORLDWIDEWII said:
more like

Microsoft: Detention for Plagiarism and Stealing RPGs/Mii/Home.
Sony: D- for Passing with little effort with a full CG/Insomniac themed show.
Nintendo: Suspended for not caring and just doing their little own thing.
:lol

J-Rzez

Not incredible at all. It was simple, clean, and concise. And even though it was that, it was the best conference out of the 3, which doesn't say much for the others.

They showed off inFamous (which looks amazing), some KZ2, a GoW3 trailer (which seemingly excites people enough), R2, Booty, the customization of LBP with that stat stuff they love, and fucking MAG!!!(!!!). They showed off some PSP stuff, a little PS2, and the movie service is neat especially with the copy to psp function.

Overall, a more than solid showing.

Gilgamesh said:
They didn't seriously name that game MASSIVE ACTION GAME, right?

... right?
HELL YEAH they did. Thats what is is thats what you call it. Any other name would just of some contrived battle cliche.
MAG

Issun23

Why did Mr Tretton have to mention ICO and Shadow of the Colossus? They haven't been worldwide sales record breakers... That had me hope for a second. :(

BenjaminBirdie said:
It's also very telling that games like Re5, Rock Band, GHWT, and Fallout chose the MS conference to drop BIG feature news at THEIR conference. I was expecting Sony to do the same with something like Mirror's Edge or Bioshock PS3.

Yes, that was remarkable to me as well, the fact that all these major 3rd parties chose the Microsoft conference to present their games.

Jaroof

Sony's Press Conference, in my opinion was the best out of the three. They showed quite a few games coming out this year, and showed a few coming out next year. That, and the LittleBigPlanet presentation just kicked ass.

Nintendo... oh boy, Nintendo, what happened?:lol Terrible press conference.

Microsoft had gameplay, which was really good, but not as much content as Sony's. Really close to winning, though, imo.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
BrokenSymmetry said:
Yes, that was remarkable to me as well, the fact that all these major 3rd parties chose the Microsoft conference to present their games.

yes, the fact that the MS conference was one whole day before the sony one had absolutely nothing to do with that ..

If you have an xbox 360 there is a LOT to look forward to, and you won't have to wait three years to see it.

If you have a PS3 you already knew what was coming out for the rest of the year, and everything else is just a matter of... waiting. And hoping.

Sony fails due to not showing Heavy Rain.
Microsoft fails due to not showing Alan Wake.
Nintendo fails due to showing Wii Music.
EA fails due to not showing Battlefield 3.

Fail.

When was Ubisoft's conference? Bet they're not gonna show BG&E2.

Blader

J-Rzez said:
Not incredible at all. It was simple, clean, and concise. And even though it was that, it was the best conference out of the 3, which doesn't say much for the others.

They showed off inFamous (which looks amazing), some KZ2, a GoW3 trailer (which seemingly excites people enough), R2, Booty, the customization of LBP with that stat stuff they love, and fucking MAG!!!(!!!). They showed off some PSP stuff, a little PS2, and the movie service is neat especially with the copy to psp function.

Overall, a more than solid showing.

But unlike MS, none of those games (except for R2 and LBP) were actual live showings. They were pre-recorded clips.

Sony had more games, but most of them just flashed on and off the screen.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
cRIPticon said:
How is that possible when it is on PS3 in all THREE major regions. No FF XIII in Japan = FAIL

I'm talking perception and mindshare.

Fairly solid. Though they didn't show off a lot of demo (MS already beat Sony to the punch with showing off something like RE5, but it's still coming to PS3, same for Fallout 3, so they would be fairly redundant as follow-ups), it showed a fair amount more games than the others.

CG teasers of GoW3 and MAG are still weak, though. And color me surprised there wasn't more on Killzone 2 except for the montage of games trailer.

I gotta say if you're going to do charts, graphs, and bullet points, you can't get anymore brilliant than Little Big Planet. From now on that's how it all should be done!

pringles

The conferances seem to be getting less and less important at E3.
Most of the really awesome stuff comes afterwards, so I find it kinda silly that people are already saying "Worst E3 ever". I mean, whatever Bungie has planned for tomorrow has the potential to all of a sudden make it a great E3 in my eyes atleast.

Amir0x

Banned
Microsoft Conference Before FFXIII - C+
Microsoft Conference after FFXIII - B+
Sony Conference - D
Nintendo Conference - EXPELLED FROM CLASS (~EviLore~)

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
In terms of the actual conference:

SONY: C+
MS: D-
Nintendo: LOL WTF

Sony was the only one that announced new games. sure they were not big megaton games but they were cool games. Shit I am all giddy about Fat Princess and MAG sounds amazing. MS had the finishing move at the end though it the grand scheme of E3 doesnt mean much because they are practically announcing a port. MS conference was pathetic until the FFXIII announcement

pr0cs

Just not enough games were shown and demoed for this year by Sony, I mean at the start of this year everyone was saying "year of the PS3" and now there is Resistance 2 and LBP and... ? ...? I wanted to see more games I will be playing.

I liked that the Microsoft conference actually showed both trailers and actual games being played. I liked that they showed a wide gambit of games, shooters, sports, fps, jrpgs, rpgs include life demos of each, stuff I'm going to be *PLAYING THIS YEAR*.

I don't give a shit about FF, it ranks up there as all-time overhyped game (along with Chrono Trigger) and I still think that Microsoft had a much more consistent message of games you will be playing this year.

I just can't believe that was all Sony had to share, what a disappointment.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Is there any hope for the 3rd party P.C's?

Someone tell me yes

Ramenman

We're now giving letters to the conferences ?

Putting conferences in order is already a mess of fanboyism and subjectivity, but now letters ? Seriously ? I'll tell you what : Rate them randomly on a 0 to 10 scale, with 0.1 accuracy. It will be as dumb but at least you'll look like a professional journalist.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Good to see Sony has a nice diverse line up of games.. I know ill be crucified and I know Trentton said something similar, but PS3 is looking better than PS2 did at this time in its life cycle..

I will agree there were no megatons but there were some really solid games shown. inFamous looks good and Resistance 2 looks amazing along with all the PSP games. It was a good mix of content on all fronts.

I was hoping for something really exciting though. At least FFVII remake announcement.

Mau ®

MS wins. Even without the FFXIII announcement I would've still said that. I thought the pacing was a bit better.

Sony had good stuff with boring stuff. Jack Trenton should loosen up a little, not pretend to be. InFamous looked amazing and the video store had a nice pricing scheme. MAG in concept sounds awesome and well thats it I guess... I had low expectations and I still feel like I wasted time. Eh.

Had they unveiled Heavy Rain or Team Ico's project I would've been more content.

Blader

pringles said:
The conferances seem to be getting less and less important at E3.
Most of the really awesome stuff comes afterwards, so I find it kinda silly that people are already saying "Worst E3 ever". I mean, whatever Bungie has planned for tomorrow has the potential to all of a sudden make it a great E3 in my eyes atleast.

Oh shit, I forgot about that.

Rayven

aka surume
2a4pc1e.gif

Basch said:
Exactly what I'm thinking. The hell are people even comparing MS' stink fest to this glorious showing. F#ck! GAF, disappoints again. I'll never understand. MS showed a bunch of copy cat tech that are in fact light versions that in and of themselves are disappointing. They also showed off mainly multiplatform games that were still in fairly early stages. Few exclusives that only looked marginally impressive for the most part, except for Gears 2 (that was hot :D ). The conference was saved from being one of the worst conferences in existence by yet another multiplatform announcement (of which, the PS3 is still getting the game). Seriously, people, it's a no contest. Some of you have unrealisticly high expectations. What did you expect? Have you guys ever seen an E3 press conference. Wow. GAF, *shakes head* just no. You're not ever going to get much better than this. People complain about CG trailers all they want, but it is a target render of what they hope to accomplish. I'm done. I'm going to abandon this thread before it gets any worse. People can delude themselves all they want. I'm not going to take part in. Let the games speak for themselves.

By the way, I considered Resistance: Retribution to be quite a megaton, and has now become one of my most anticipated games. MAG was also. Oh, but I forgot. Only game series on their umpteenth sequel can be considered a megaton. Forget, new and amazing surprise exclusives, 'cause all we care about is just another figure head. Mascots for the win. *rolls eyes* And by the way, Insomniac is not developing Retribution. Some other studio is that has been working on it for a long time, I guess. Been nice sharing the enjoyment with everyone else. Good day. :D
Rage.

kbear

cRIPticon said:

PS3 footage already seen earlier this year.

Running through a village and discovering a wife that likes when you belch.....ok....demoed.

Really? Do we need to discuss this again? Miis+XMB. Sony showed Home. Kicked MS's ass.

Great! Rent more badly compressed movies alongside other badly compressed movies already on XB360. Wait. What?
FF13 atomic bomb

Fixed :)
Was this a joke post? Like were you trying to be contrarian on purpose for the "lulz"?

Resistance 2 kicked Gears 2 in the throat? Are you serious, bro? Home 'kicked MS' new dashboard in the ass'... what?

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
WORLDWIDEWII said:
more like

Microsoft: Detention for Plagiarism and Stealing RPGs/Mii/Home.
Sony: D- for Passing with little effort with a full CG/Insomniac themed show.
Nintendo: Suspended for not caring and just doing their little own thing.

Fucking server didn't post what I said before, so I'll just say this is an even better representation of how I feel. None of these assholes deserve acolades for the garbage performances they held this year.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Wow, I can't believe that HOME still isn't ready. You mean to tell me that MS will have HOME like features (sharing photos, videos, playing games together) before HOME even gets out of beta???? I was watching with a friend who's a huge Sony fanboy and he said "it looks like the PS3 is the future and always will be", I don't completley agree but he's got a point. MS shows Gears 2 (which looked way better than I expected it too), fable 2, footage of Banjo & Viva, plenty of new XBLA support, completley new and improved XBL, netflix support, actual casual stuff, strong multiplatform support, exclusive Square stuff, and FF13. Sony showed a sort of lackluster R2 showing (the big monster battle was a little boring IMO) and wayyyyy too much CG teasers of games that won't be out for a long time.

It's not like they don't have the games, they do, but they didn't show them. Where was KZ2? GT5? Where was it? Much better showing than Nintendo, but I can't believe that MS won this E3, wow.

PSP support was really good, though.

Niks

Best conference of the big three imo. Microsoft had a decent start and a megaton finish, but the middle was horrible, almost as bad as Nintendo. Sony, while never truly stellar, was consistent throughout.

THIS.

I agree with this statement.

Best Overall: Sony
Best Megaton: Microsoft
Best Facepalm.gif : Nintendo

Top Bottom