• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2008 Sony Conference

pr0cs

J-Rzez said:
MS conference worried me as they didn't touch on stuff to look forward to next year, kind of like what they did last year, and it's worrisome as their game selection this year is rather thin as people predicted from last year. .
You think this year is worse than last year for the 360, I don't know man because I'm already worried how I'm going to sneak in so many games past my wife, easily as many games as last year. I guess if you're only counting exclusives but I think it's safe to say that a large majority of the 3rd party games are still going to perform better on the 360.
I expect 2009 will start out the same with people thinking that Microsoft has nothing to show and the platform is dead and they'll repeat a 2007 and 2008 by showing a lot of great games you can expect by holiday years end.
Quite frankly I don't want to hear about games 1+ years off, that is a long time to wait for a game and I'd rather get info about games I'll be playing soon.

Loudninja said:
:lol people are still using this?

Using what? What's coming this year that I can't get on the 360 or my more than capable PC? Little Big Planet? What if I happen to not like that very much? What wealth of other titles do I have to choose from?

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
When is the Playstation premier thing? Cause I was sorta disappointed for this E3 from Sony. Saving Grace was Resistance 2, Quest for booty, LBP and inFamous.

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
LBP has me more pumped than ever. LBP demo > Powerpoint! hahaha i was dying.

MAG seems interesting although i need to see some gameplay. Having a persistent battlefield sounds pretty much like that rumor of the KZ2 multiplayer. Hurm.

inFamous looks freaking epic.

R2 had a good really good showing i felt. Freakin scale indeed JS! Did not let me down. QfB looks so awesome too. Not to mention i will now need to get a PSP in the spring.

Movie and TV service....ABOUT TIME!! W00T!!!!! But here is a question....do the TV shows get updated that day or is it going to only be on thursdays?

All in all that was a pretty strong showing. Would have liked to see more KZ2 info. Also uncharted 2 would have been nice to see a teaser of.

GOW3. Thats all that needs to be said. But when?

Loudninja

Elbrain said:
When is the Playstation premier thing? Cause I was sorta disappointed for this E3 from Sony. Saving Grace was Resistance 2, Quest for booty, LBP and inFamous.

New MS2 footage, go look at it.:D

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Fallout-NL said:
Using what? What's coming this year that I can't get on the 360 or my more than capable PC? Little Big Planet? What if I happen to not like that very much? What wealth of other titles do I have to choose from?

Well sir that same argument can be put on the 360 sir just put Fable 2 in there instead of LBP.

DunpealD

The whole presentation was solid without megatons(missed that Fat thing though), except the LBP integration into the presentation which was above the rest and really made me want it even though I never had interest in it.

Haven't watched the other conferences but I'm pretty sure Nintendo didn't even had the motivation to attend the E3 since their games are pretty much selling themselves like cigarettes and are focusing on their newly acquired consumers which is a smart move.

Anyway I hope the TGS will be better than this.

Kildace

Elbrain said:
Well sir that same argument can be put on the 360 sir just put Fable 2 in there instead of LBP.

Fable 2, Halo Wars and Gears 2.
Not the most amazing lineup ever, I agree (quantity wise, because Fable 2 and Gears 2 are going to rock my world), but still more extensive than just LBP.

Oh and there's also Too Human :lol

Edit : Oh, I forgot about R2 actually. Yeah, I guess it's really similar.

bridegur

It's a shame all they showed was the GOW3 video. Everyone already knew it was coming, so what's the point of showing what amounts to no more than an announcement?

Truespeed

Jinfash said:
this x1000

plus half of the demo was climbing boring stairs in a last gen looking tower, it was embarrassing.

speaking of embarrassment, have i mentioned how sorry i felt for jack echoing "year of the playstation" over and over?

yeah they went into E3 with that being true, but now it's like MS has countered every punch Sony threw

Netflix vs. Video download
simultaneous FF release vs. losing exclusivity
price drop vs. gimped 80gig sku new price point
demoes vs. cg trailers and teasers
redesigned live vs. newly improved PSN
lips vs. singstar

it's like MS has intentionally hand picked those announcements to steal Sony's thunder.

i'm just glad that inFAMOUS looked UNBELIEVABLE... i'm excited for that atleast

- Netflix is only serving SD content

- FF XIII will be released in Japan long before it's released in NA and Europe

- There is no 360 price drop just as there is no spoon.

soldat7

Elbrain said:

I don't think anyone can say, at this point in time, that the PS3 has a more diverse and 'better' lineup than the 360 objectively. You could probably argue 'on par' but certainly not 'better'.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Sony wins the E3 conference battle for me, because:

1) Everybody else lost harder. Microsoft traded everything for a port of a game I was going to be able to get anyway (nice for their e-peen, worthless to multi-platform gamers), and Nintendo demonstrated with Wii Music that either they've gone off the rails completely, or they're geniuses but casual gamers deserve to die. Or possibly both.

2) A new Ratchet and Clank game is the only 'surprise' news from any of the big three that I actually care about.

3) Sales charts were interesting for the first time in seventeen years.

As always with E3 these days, though, it isn't really a question of winning. Just losing slightly less.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Fallout-NL said:

Resistance 2, Motorstorm Pacific Rift, LittleBigPlanet, Buzz, Singstar Vol 2, R&C Booty, Siren: Blood Curse, WipeoutHD, NBA '09, SOCOM: Confrontation, Valkyria Chronicles, Disgaea 3, flower, Pixeljunk Eden....*takes breath*

There was lots of exclusive stuff for this year shown. Most games on both 360 and PS3 are multiplatform this year, like every other year.

Quazar

Kildace said:
Fable 2, Halo Wars and Gears 2.
Not the most amazing lineup ever, I agree (quantity wise, because Fable 2 and Gears 2 are going to rock my world), but still more extensive than just LBP.

Oh and there's also Too Human :lol

Edit : Oh, I forgot about R2 actually. Yeah, I guess it's really similar.

The JRPGS are alone the better reason to keep my 360 around. Compliments the PC well.

gofreak said:
Resistance 2, Motorstorm Pacific Rift, LittleBigPlanet, Buzz, Singstar Vol 2, R&C Booty, Siren: Blood Curse, WipeoutHD, NBA '09, SOCOM: Confrontation, Valkyria Chronicles, Disgaea 3, flower, Pixeljunk Eden....*takes breath*

There was lots of exclusive stuff for this year shown. Most games on both 360 and PS3 are multiplatform this year, like every other year.

Well, I mean, I don't even think we can play fair list wars if you include PSN games. They announced like four XBLA games alone, and we know other stuff like Castle Crashers is definitely in the pipe, and 100% exclusive.

MS has plenty of exclusive stuff as well, in summation.

Dirtbag

iapetus said:

1) Everybody else lost harder. Microsoft traded everything for a port of a game I was going to be able to get anyway (nice for their e-peen, worthless to multi-platform gamers), and Nintendo demonstrated with Wii Music that either they've gone off the rails completely, or they're geniuses but casual gamers deserve to die. Or possibly both.

2) A new Ratchet and Clank game is the only 'surprise' news from any of the big three that I actually care about.

As always with E3 these days, though, it isn't really a question of winning. Just losing slightly less.

Please explain the terms of this trade? :lol

Owzers

BenjaminBirdie said:
Maybe for the next month, but then it's Tales, and Undiscovery, and Rock Band 2, and Banjo, and Viva, and Gears, and Fable 2, and actually Lips looks kinda cool.

Did I forget anything?

You forgot to ask Toys R Us to kindly do another Buy 2 get 1 free sale at the end of October, and Scene It Box Office Smash which isn't a huge deal, kinda like Buzz.

Pretty much everything for PS3 has been delayed and delayed and delayed. Afrika vanished, Motorstorm 2 is 09, Infamous is 09, White Knight Story is who knows when, Killzone 2 is early 09.

It looks like Sony's holiday line-up now consists of:

Resistance 2
Little Big Planet
whatever PSN games don't get delayed forever
A Buzz game.

And Tretton has the nerve to talk about 2008 being the year of the ps3.

Moray

Dirtbag 504 said:

It was one of those trades where they didn't have to give anything up but still got something.

**edit: whoa whoa whoa, Motorstorm 2 is 09? Yikes.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
BenjaminBirdie said:
Well, I mean, I don't even think we can play fair list wars if you include PSN games. They announced like four XBLA games alone, and we know other stuff like Castle Crashers is definitely in the pipe, and 100% exclusive.

I counted XBLA in the 'conference game counts' too!

Plus PSN games can be a different breed from what's typically on XBLA. Things like WipeoutHD, Siren, Booty, Socom etc. don't deserve to be discarded.

edit - and I agree, MS has plenty of exclusive stuff too. I'm just picking on the "What has sony got except LBP lol?!?!" comment.

DuckRacer

The Resistance 2 trailer was good. And pretty. The demonstration was just disappointing and unimpressive. Go up a bunch of stairs, oblivious AI teammates, have the monster grab you (and let you predictably shoot a rocket in its open, gaping mouth), and then it throws you a mile away, having you crash through a building and you hop up as if the throw was a mere stumble. Graphically it didn't look that great either aside from the modeling on the monster. I thought Quest for Booty looked tons better, but maybe that's because of the art style.

They really should've just demoed Iceland. All the footage from Chicago looked like a man's wet ass; the Iceland footage is rather exciting.

Honestly aside from a few moments from the Microsoft conference and the LBP sales presentation, all of E3 is just a steaming pile of horseshit. Sony's conference sucked, Nintendo's conference sucked, most of MS' conference sucked. But I digress.

edit: wait, Motorstorm 2 was delayed? I'd feign shock but I don't want to put forth the effort to do so.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Fallout-NL said:
Gears of War II?

Well the comparison to that one would be Resistance 2 that I why I put Fable 2. So yeah almost same situation with the games for this. Resistance 2 for Gears 2, Fable 2 for LBP as big games go.

Microsoft - B+ - I liked the new interface, 1 vs. 100, and they had the megaton. Everything else was boring though.

Sony - B - Showed alot of games, announced some cool new games, video service looks slick but no huge announcements.

Nintendo - D - Seriously Nintendo? You only get a D for GTA DS and because COD looked nice.

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
sillymonkey321 said:
You forgot to ask Toys R Us to kindly do another Buy 2 get 1 free sale at the end of October, and Scene It Box Office Smash which isn't a huge deal, kinda like Buzz.

Pretty much everything for PS3 has been delayed and delayed and delayed. Afrika vanished, Motorstorm 2 is 09, Infamous is 09, White Knight Story is who knows when, Killzone 2 is early 09.

Resistance 2
Little Big Planet
A Buzz game.

Well....MGS4 already solidified that.

get it! oooo im good

pr0cs

Truespeed said:
and both Netflix and Sony's video store is only available in the USA, the marketplace at least has some content available in other countries.

sillymonkey321 said:

Resistance 2
Little Big Planet
A Buzz game.

I was told Motorstorm 2 is 08 in the trailer thread, if it is 08 it does help their holiday lineup quite a bit

gofreak said:
I counted XBLA in the 'conference game counts' too!

Plus PSN games can be a different breed from what's typically on XBLA. Things like WipeoutHD, Siren, Booty, Socom etc. don't deserve to be discarded.

edit - and I agree, MS has plenty of exclusive stuff too. I'm just picking on the "What has sony got except LBP lol?!?!" comment.

Yeah, it's a silly argument. At this point no platform is going hungry anymore.

iapetus said:
and Nintendo demonstrated with Wii Music that either they've gone off the rails completely, or they're geniuses but casual gamers deserve to die. Or possibly both.

It's not fair, how come I get banned for saying this in a slightly less blunt matter even? I'm going to need some form of free pass.

Not to mention that I fucking called this years ago.

Elbrain said:
Well the comparison to that one would be Resistance 2 that I why I put Fable 2. So yeah almost same situation with the games for this. Resistance 2 for Gears 2, Fable 2 for LBP as big games go.

Except we all know that Gears of War shits all over Resistance. LBP interest me more than Fable does though. I don't trust Molyneux.

Azrael

Truespeed said:

And the selection of films for Netflix Watch Instantly is terrible. I have watched a few movies like King of Kong and Jesus Camp on it, but it's mostly crap. The selection may improve in the future, but major studios aren't going to make their new films available for a subscription fee for unlimited downloads.

TTG

I'm watching this thing on G4 and I gotta say, the first thing that jumps out at me is how much better this speaker is than the guy from MS.

Kudos to Sony for NOT putting on a cringeworthy show.

Truespeed

pr0cs said:
and both Netflix and Sony's video store is only available in the USA, the marketplace at least has some content available in other countries.

Do you think they'll check your IP or will they just be satisfied with the fake country you signed up with?

Bulla564

Banned
Seems like if Sony had ALSO included the same live ZOMFGWTF live demos of RE5 and Fallout 3, it would have won handily, since it was the one to show the most games.

Many claiming that MS's conference was good must have the FFXIII blinders on. This was NOT the feeling at all in the mIRC channel, nor in the thread.

Kittonwy

Banned
iapetus said:

INFAMOUS!!!111!!!
angry.gif

Imadetectiveitstrue... and a scientist.
batman.gif

TwinsDad

gofreak said:
They showed MORE games.

Microsoft showed 21, mostly 08 games.

Sony showed 36-odd games, a mix of 08 and 09.

Microsoft showed 12 exclusives coming in 08.

Sony showed 22 exclusives, with up to about 17 of them coming this year.

"With up to"??? I haven't watched it again, but just how many did they announce for 2008?

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Dirtbag 504 said:

Um. They announced nothing new and exciting, but had the FFXIII megaton, which as I said is of no real benefit to anyone who already has all the systems. From the MS conference thread:

Megatons
New Dashboard
New bunch of party games and seamless experience (UNO RUSH: one wow)
GEOMETRY WARS 2!
South Park, Galaga 2
NETFLIX
Banjo Kazooie 1 and 2 on XBLA!
LIPS confirmed

When UNO RUSH is your exciting new game, and BANJO TWOOIE gets star billing (what a step down from Goldeneye...) you're not exactly enthusing me.

Obviously it wasn't a direct trade, but I'd have taken one or two MS announcements of genuinely interesting new games over the FFXIII title in a flash. Obviously FFXIII is exciting for those who love their RPGs but don't have a PS3, or for fanboys who only want to engage in e-dick-waving fights online. For the rest of us it's of no practical use at all.

Top Bottom