• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2008 Sony Conference

laserbeam

Banned
I have to ask what was the point of Blu Ray if Digital Distribution movies etc are moving into mainstream.

Sony went on and on Pre-launch and uptil now about how Digital Distibution of movies etc were years off etc now they are offering HD movie downloads etc

DangerStepp

Niks said:
Motherfarking THIS.

For all their talk about the history of the PS1 and PS2, I guess they just decided to forget RPGs where an important factor that got the PS1 off its feet.

The only excuse I can think of is that they are waiting for TGS for that, but that includes a lot of hoping and praying.
It's a new world, not 1998. RPGs aren't what they used to be. Shooters seem to be the new black, thus that is why there are so many being developed.

kbear

PistolGrip said:
Actually XMB kicks MS new dashboard in the ass. Home kicks the copy cat avatar bullshit MS introduced.
Do you mean the XMB kicks the new MS dashboard in the ass, aesthetically? Feature-wise, no way. And aesthetics is a matter of opinion. I love the look.

And I'm sorry, but Home has disaster written all over it. Delay after delay. You thought that footage with the dancing people was hot? Come on... be real, P-Grip.

My final thoughts... MS won due to this:

*New dashboard/XBL overhaul unveiling
*8 player party system
*Netflix service exclusive
*Fall Out 3 DLC exclusive
*Rock Band 2 timed exclusive
*Portal Still Alive exclusive
*Geometry Wars 2/Galaga Legions exclusivo
*Banjo 1 XBLA
*Square Enix exclusives/timed exclusives (Infinite Undiscovery, Star Ocean, etc.)
*Gears of War 2 live demo
*RE5 co-op live demo
*NBC/Universal announcement
*Lips actually looks hot
*FF 13 megaton

The two biggest reveals for Sony's conf were two CG trailers (God of War 3 and MAG). GoW3's trailer was like 10 seconds long, too. There was literally 5 seconds of Killzone 2 footage that was shown in a montage. Infamous looked nice. Resistance PSP was a surprise. Fat Princess looked great... reminds me of Castle Crashers with the cartoonish gore. Video service is a year late to the party but still cool. All of that stuff added up doesn't come close to Microsoft's announcements, though. How can anyone with a hint of objectivity disagree with that statement?

Azrael

spwolf said:
Infamous, DC Universe and Booty were probably most interesting things there and we barely knew anything about them just few days ago...

Booty is fukin the shit for $15, they need to do more of that.

Booty looked great. More platforming, less shooting (Clank being missing should mean more hardcore platforming as well) and the gameplay looked like more of an evolution than ToD was.

ZeoVGM

Banned
manzo said:
First of all, where the FUCK was Square-Enix?

1) WHERE WAS FF7R
2) WHERE WAS KINGDOM HEARTS 3
3) Where was any other RPG other than the Eternal fucking Sonata?

I stopped reading here.

Kingdom Hearts 3? There is ZERO information saying that it's anywhere near ready to be shown. What are you talking about? You can't be disappointed that wasn't shown.

Kingdom Hearst 2 wasn't shown at E3 either. It was announced at a Japanese conference.

But dude, FF7 Remake?

THERE IS NO FF7 REMAKE. IT DOESN'T EXIST.

ANYONE who lists that as a reason why E3 sucked, let alone their #1 reason, is out of their mind.

spwolf said:
Infamous, DC Universe and Booty were probably most interesting things there and we barely knew anything about them just few days ago...

I'm the biggest DC fan on the planet, but that looked wayyy too early to be shown off. Also, they keep trying to skirt around the fact that you can't play as the big heroes. Which is fine and understandable, but embrace it. Show me even just a CG trailer of a scrub making their way through the Green Lantern academy on Oa and then getting assigned to Earth.

Not just a few frames of the kind of character you'll actually end up playing surrounded by wall to wall heroes and villains you'll never touch.

El-Suave

Sony had the best overall briefing for me personally, with surprisingly good PSP games, but had nothing to compensate the loss of FF XIII.

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
manzo said:
First of all, where the FUCK was Square-Enix?

1) WHERE WAS FF7R
2) WHERE WAS KINGDOM HEARTS 3
3) Where was any other RPG other than the Eternal fucking Sonata?

Resistance 2 = awesome

GOW3 = HELL YEAH except only a shitty teaser trailer :(

Valkyrie PSP = AAAAWWW YEAAAAAAHH oh wait a mistake lolz :(

What a fucking waste of 2 hours. I can't believe I actually first endured the Nintendo conference and now this.

Shitty E3 minus the FF13 megaton.

Bah.

This was me 30 minutes ago, except I would have been happy with an RPG from ANY developer presented. A port of a fucking crappy Xbox360 RPG does not count.

soldat7

kbear said:
The two biggest reveals for Sony's conf were two CG trailers (God of War 3 and MAG). GoW3's trailer was like 10 seconds long, too. There was literally 5 seconds of Killzone 2 footage that was shown in a montage. Infamous looked nice. Resistance PSP was a surprise. Fat Princess looked great... reminds me of Castle Crashers with the cartoonish gore. Video service is a year late to the party but still cool. All of that stuff added up doesn't come close to Microsoft's announcements, though. How can anyone with a hint of objectivity disagree with that statement?

Your statement makes complete sense if you own both consoles. Otherwise...

Frillen

Lol! The two biggest newspapers here in Norway reported NOTHING after the MS conference and NOTHING after the Sony conference on the main site. However, one game was the top story. Take a wild guess...... Guessing???? Yeah, that's right... Wii Music....

doicare

soldat7 said:
The 'general people'? Well they'd be wrong then.

It will be interesting to see what the game journos have to say about the E3 conferences. I can't imagine any of them not picking MS as the clear winner in terms of the E3 conference at the very least.

In a word - nope.

DangerStepp

omg rite said:
I stopped reading here.

Kingdom Hearts 3? There is ZERO information saying that it's anywhere near ready to be shown. What are you talking about? You can't be disappointed that wasn't shown.

Kingdom Hearst 2 wasn't shown at E3 either. It was announced at a Japanese conference.

But dude, FF7 Remake?

THERE IS NO FF7 REMAKE. IT DOESN'T EXIST.

ANYONE who lists that as a reason why E3 sucked, let alone their #1 reason, is out of their mind
Read this. Know this. Embrace it and accept it as truth.

PistolGrip said:
In terms of the actual conference:

SONY: C+
MS: D-
Nintendo: LOL WTF

Sony was the only one that announced new games. sure they were not big megaton games but they were cool games. Shit I am all giddy about Fat Princess and MAG sounds amazing. MS had the finishing move at the end though it the grand scheme of E3 doesnt mean much because they are practically announcing a port. MS conference was pathetic until the FFXIII announcement
You do remember MSFT actually showed games being played at thier conference right? No matter what you say that in itself was a 1up over the other conferences. All that other crap they annouced can be shown on the show floor to the journalists. But what millions will see is the conference and the games that are showcased at that live worldwide broadcasted conference. MSFT won on that front.

kbear said:

*8 player party system
*Banjo 1 XBLA
*Square Enix exclusives/timed exclusives (Infinite Undiscovery, Star Ocean, etc.)
*RE5 co-op live demo
*Lips actually looks hot
*FF 13 megaton

I agree totally. This is just science here.

LCfiner

laserbeam said:
I have to ask what was the point of Blu Ray if Digital Distribution movies etc are moving into mainstream.

Sony went on and on Pre-launch and uptil now about how Digital Distibution of movies etc were years off etc now they are offering HD movie downloads etc

they're doing it because MS and Apple must be making enough money off of it to be considered worthwhile.

And Blu-ray won't be mainstream for years, if ever.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
laserbeam said:

Once you grasp the concept of physical distribution being universal, and DD being fledging, you see how they can operate side by side.

Music downloads are way way more mature than video, yet still CDs are manufactured and sold.

There will be a need for physical distribution of (HD) movies for a long time yet, even if DD can grow in the meantime. Sony obviously doesn't want to miss out on the latter either (like they did with music).

laserbeam

Banned
LCfiner said:
they're doing it because MS and Apple must be making enough money off of it to be considered worthwhile.

And Blu-ray won't be mainstream for years, if ever.

I agree but it basically makes blu ray a joke and they could have easily had a $299-$399 system at launch skipping blu ray. They could have kept all their pretty games just as pretty and been far more competative out the door. Instead they worried about a format war while both parties are now pushing Digital distribution

GreekWolf

gcubed said:
maybe i'm missing something, is it better to show more games on stage, and let people play the games themselves, or show less games but let someone watch someone else play them?
Certainly, if you're present at the event and have access to the floor after the conference has ended, then there's no question you'll prefer brief clips during the presentation versus time-consuming demonstrations. Unfortunately, the majority of us don't fall into that category.

Of course, I do understand that E3 isn't geared towards "us" any longer, which is a bit frustrating.

LCfiner

kbear said:
Do you mean the XMB kicks the new MS dashboard in the ass, aesthetically? Feature-wise, no way. And aesthetics is a matter of opinion. I love the look.

And I'm sorry, but Home has disaster written all over it. Delay after delay. You thought that footage with the dancing people was hot? Come on... be real, P-Grip.

*8 player party system
*Banjo 1 XBLA
*RE5 co-op live demo
*Lips actually looks hot
*FF 13 megaton

kbear has it right. While I don't think the video stuff from Universal is that big a deal, and I dislike avatars, the other items are important enough to give them the haggard, janky E3 press conference crown.

RBH

the disgruntled gamer said:
So, should someone make a new thread, or do we put our E3 grades in here?
A new thread would be nice.

As far as Sony's press conference goes, I thought it was pretty decent. Resistance PSP and Super Stardust Portable are very nice surprises for me, and it was nice to see the rumored GOWIII trailer. Killzone 2 being barely shown though is a bit concerning imo, and I wish there were more on-stage demos rather than a barrage of video montages.

Facism

just got in from work.

Last page reads like fail. Was hoping for maybe a hint of Uncharted 2 but i guess that was hoping too much :<

pathetic overall

GOW3: a game we already knew was coming, and they show us a CG trailer :lol
DC Universe looked like trash

no new Ico game

MAG footage was ungly looking CG

A+

y2kenjination said:
Yep, after Sony's keynote, the PS3 is officially doomed. I was expecting a megaton announcement, but instead...Resistance on PSP? LoL. MAG? LOL.

I can't believe Jack gave his presentation with a straight face. Most of the titles that were shown will ALSO be available on the 360. I don't think the average joe will care about Buzz, Rag Doll Kung Fu, or inFAMOUS. LOL!

Epic fail Sony, epic fail. It was fun while it lasted guys...but it'll truly be the end of an era. Nail in the coffin after the worst E3 press conference ever. Pack your bags guys, 'cause the console wars are OVAH!

Man, Microsoft must have been laughing backstage yesterday. Wada was all like "Btw guys OOOOH MUTHAFUKKIN FFXIII on the 360 bitches!"

All hope...is lost. At this point I want the 360 to succeed. They're just making all the right decisions. Their new HDD installation capabilities, Netflix integrations, and jRPG announcements have impressed the hell out of me. Microsoft the new Sony? BELIEVE.

P.S. WTF Nintendo still fails at life. Their press conference was worse than Sony's. GTA on DS? LOOOOOOOOOOOL!

Ok lest revert this.

Most of the 360 games show are also going to be on PS3,and the only megaton was that now the 360 will get FF13 on US and EU but on on Japan and on the same time as the PS3,oh by the way FF versus still is exclusive.

Sony most have been laughing backstage after MS ended their conference.

The console war is over alright and the company with the worst presentation is winning it.

In fact is a joke because people use to complain about the PS3 been a movie player,now the cheer for netflix,they hated install now installs are good and they flamed Home from hell and back,and now are in love with avatars...:lol

And the worst part is that they actually believe that MS won something...

Truespeed

People need to remember that not all companies blow their wad in one press event. Some like to spread the wad over multiple press events to keep the momentum going.

Up until now everything media outlet was quick to say "oh yes, Sony will have some DLC for GTA4". It was ok to think like that. I guess after the conference it is now safe to say they don't have anything and won't have for the foreseeble future. I think that's a bummer.

Oh, and what's up Sony Japan? I know there's got to be an internal dispute, fights, people fired and stuff, but what the hell?

seriously, WTF are they doing for the last 3 years?

cRIPticon

omg rite said:
You know, it's pretty obvious you're a silly fanboy, which I tend not to call people, but you take the cake.

Why, you ask?

Are you dense?

Not a "silly fanboy" in the slightest, just a multi platform owner who believes Sony's showing was better than MS across the board. As for the RE5 comment, you are correct! I was referring to 2 earlier pieces. One on the Capcom disk, but it was only shown on 360 and the other was footage I saw at GDC, but that does not really count as a public showing. So, there you go :)

Owzers

BenjaminBirdie said:
I'm the biggest DC fan on the planet, but that looked wayyy too early to be shown off. Also, they keep trying to skirt around the fact that you can't play as the big heroes. Which is fine and understandable, but embrace it. Show me even just a CG trailer of a scrub making their way through the Green Lantern academy on Oa and then getting assigned to Earth.

Not just a few frames of the kind of character you'll actually end up playing surrounded by wall to wall heroes and villains you'll never touch.

They would have been better off not showing DCU imo. They should have shown something on Motorstorm 2, but apparently that isn't coming out this year anyways.

Moray

laserbeam said:

The better question is what is the point of owning movies if every movie ever made eventually becomes instantly viewable for a small rental fee. Sure, some will appreciate the higher quality Blu-ray provides, but most will undoubtedly prefer the convenience, like what happened with music. And the quality will eventually come up.

But enjoy collecting and organizing that stack of eventually-to-be-obsolete-and-pain-in-the-ass-to-move discs you pack rats out there :p

Azrael

laserbeam said:

Revisionist. Sony's been talking about digital downloads of movies since before the PS2 launched.

Blu-ray and digital downloads complement each other and can coexist in the marketplace. Blu-ray to own movies in HD with the best picture and sound quality packed with special features and downloads for renting and portability. Having the best of both worlds on PS3 is a good thing.

Owzers

Truespeed said:
People need to remember that not all companies blow their wad in one press event. Some like to spread the wad over multiple press events to keep the momentum going.

and some have countdowns on bungie.net.

ZeoVGM

Banned
P.S. WTF Nintendo still fails at life. Their press conference was worse than Sony's. GTA on DS? LOOOOOOOOOOOL!

Why did you point out one of the most interesting announcements from their conference as an LOL?

Why is that LOL?

Lucis

Ok I missed the sony one because of meeting at work.
But from the jest of it. totally noshow for WKS?
WTF??!
i want my fucking WKS NOW

LCfiner

laserbeam said:
I agree but it basically makes blu ray a joke and they could have easily had a $299-$399 system at launch skipping blu ray.

well... yeah.

I hope you're not just coming to this realization now. :)

Sony cost themselves huge marketshare in the gaming space by forcing in Blu-Ray into the PS3, driving up the price and delaying the launch.

and this is from someone who likes the BD in his PS3.

Gwanatu T

Honestly after digesting this, I'd say MS and Sony were tied as far as conference quality goes. MS had the absolutely fantastic presentations at the beginning, and honestly I think those were the best parts of any of the 3 conferences, and then of course their bomb at the end. Sony had an all around good conference and even though they didn't have any hands on presentations (no downloading a movie doesn't count, sorry Sony), their video montages and unveilings for some seriously surprising PSP games were great. I'm pissed about the PS3 "price drop" because it's the non-BC model, which means I'm screwed and will never get BC unless I buy a used PS3 from Ebay, and I'm a little annoyed at the fact that no bombs were dropped (God of War 3 wasn't even shown, just announced, we already knew it was coming guys), but again overall there were enough games and new games shown off that it at least satisfied me. I'd say:

MS - C+
Sony - C+
Nintendo F--------------------------------------------------

conman

Highlight of Sony conference: PSN games. I mean, "Fat Princess" for crying out loud! I'm sold just on the title alone.

Mildly interested in Sony's movie rental downloads, but I've already got a subscription to Netflix, so MS won that round as far as I'm concerned.

As cool as that Leviathan in Resistance 2 looked, did anyone else notice how long it took to go up (then down) those stairs?! What a way to make an otherwise exciting sequence really dull and repetitive.

And the closer trailers were really lame. We already know GoW3 is coming, now we just have an unexciting trailer to go with that knowledge.

The trailer for MAG was utterly useless. The silly bullet-point descriptions of the game show that there is only one way you can keep saying "256 players!" and keep it sounding interesting. And to keep saying "eight person squads!" is just confusing. Will we be playing eight-on-eight or 178-on-178?

Azrael said:
Revisionist. Sony's been talking about digital downloads of movies since before the PS2 launched.

Blu-ray and digital downloads complement each other and can coexist in the marketplace. Blu-ray to own movies in HD with the best picture and sound quality packed with special features and downloads for renting and portability. Having the best of both worlds on PS3 is a good thing.

And is funny because no every one knows that and they actually think that Sony was fallowing MS with video download,when sony has been behind something like this for ages.

Sharp

omg rite said:
Why did you point out one of the most interesting announcements from their conference as an LOL?

Why is that LOL?
'Cause it's hilarious to imagine GTA working on the N64? Which is basically what this is?

sillymonkey321 said:
They would have been better off not showing DCU imo. They should have shown something on Motorstorm 2, but apparently that isn't coming out this year anyways.

I just really think they're taking the wrong approach in promoting it. This is where my stance on CG trailers really wins out. A game like this looks janky as fuck right now. But if you threw down a CG trailer like the one I described, or a first person thing where you're making your way through a JLA meeting, as "the new guy" or something, it would get the point of this game across SO MUCH BETTER.

The hardcore gamers' obsession with seeing gameplay over allowing a developer to slickly encapsulate the main focus of their game at an early stage is so damaging to the perception of games in early stages of development.

soldat7

Truespeed said:
I agree. Giving people an extra 40GB was wrong.

Taking away BC was wrong.

Tormentoso said:
And is funny because no every one knows that and they actually think that Sony was fallowing MS with video download,when sony has been behind something like this for ages.

Um...

Daante

Roxas said:
They didnt even show Wipeout HD in the PSN montage did they? :(

Exactly my thought aswell..!! , /cry

Overall i think Sony did a good job with their conference. I would have loved to see some more rpg:s and adventure games but i guess that will come when TGS is.

It would have been so so so awesome if they had finished with a megaton 2-3 min trailer that would have blown everything else away from FF13 VERSUS, and confirmed when the trailer was over that its a PS3 ONLY GAME.
Now THAT would have caused damage.. :p

Oh and im seriosly gonna buy myself a PSP now! (yeah know a bit late, but hey better late than evar!)

Loudninja

OMG where is GOW3
*Sony shows GOW3*
OMFG its CGI Sony sucks!

or

OMG where is GOW3
*Sony shows gameplay footage*
OMFG it looks unfinished the frame rate sucks, why they show this so early Sony sucks!

Conclusion: the bitching will never end.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Tormentoso said:
Most of the 360 games show are also going to be on PS3

I don't think it was even true that most of the games shown were multiplat..by my count, 22ish out of 36ish PS3 titles shown were exclusive. (Compared to 12ish out of 21ish at the MS conference..but again, Sony went for numbers at speed).

Steroyd

GreekWolf said:
If they had featured just one live, on-stage demonstration of a highly anticipated exclusive or third-party title, it would have done wonders for their conference.

And yet the highlight of MS's conference wasn't a live demo but an announcement.

Sony announces quite a bit of games only coming on PS3 which is what the conference should be about, if I want to watch a demo I wait for some damn booth footage.

kbear

Oh, I almost forgot about full installations that actually decrease load time and negate disc drive noise. This is assuming they're optional instead of required like with PS3. Could be pretty huge... they gotta decrease HDD prices, though, or let us put any 2.5" drive in there.

Top Bottom