• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2014: $399 Xbox Ones "Flying Off The Shelves" at GameStop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't they have the Titanfall bundle (which included Kinect and the game) down to $450 or $400 at some point? It's crazy that removing the Kinect suddenly made a lot of people want to get one.

jem0208

Then you are incapable of being objective.

I didn't say "we can all agree PS3 games smashed 360 games." I said Sony's exclusive games (first party) for the PS3 over the past 4~ years absolutely crushed Microsoft's exclusive games (first party) for the 360. Anybody who is objective would absolutely agree. Nothing but Halo, Gears, and Forza sequels a great library does not make.

I'm not sure you really understand what the word "objective" means.

Look, here's the definition to help you:

Objective:

(of a person or their judgement) not influenced by personal feelings or opinions in considering and representing facts.
*(the word "facts" is bolded by me)

It's not possible to objectively state that the PS3 had a better line up, nor is it possible to objectively state the 360 had a better line up.

In my opinion MS could have released just Halo games and I would have preferred it to the PS3 line up. Others obviously will prefer Uncharted and TLOU etc. to Halo and Fable etc. These are all just opinions though, and hence not objective fact. Therefore presenting one side as a fact and using it to further your point in a discussion/arguement whilst claiming that anyone who disagrees is incapable of being objective is obnoxious, ridiculous and hypocritical.

Why not? The system doesn't have any big games in June and many people don't buy consoles until the Xmas season (deals and/or kids). I don't see the month of June as being really any sign as to how the system will do this Xmas season.
Dat gap is why.

June is a good indicator because of the price drop. If the sales gap continues to increase in NA (which it will, because every multiplat from now until the end of the year is being headlined on PS4) then once we hit holiday, that momentum will only continue. You're right. Many people don't buy consoles until Christmas season, and when they do, they typically look to their friends and the general perception/reviews of the system before going out and buying the system. In what way does Xbox One have the edge in that regard?

Sony still has a $50 price drop ace-in-the-hole as well as the Destiny bundle. I'd also expect next-gen GTA5 to sell better on PS4. And Battlefield. And AssCreed. And Dragon Age. And perhaps even CoD.

Z3M0G

i2nhSOOd4kPrg.gif

It's silly that they said this, yes, but people put too much weight on what a table of don't-know-it-all-gamers say during open discussion.

jem0208

So how does the interface work now without the kinect? I haven't really messed with it but was thinking of picking up the Bone without the Kinect. I kept reading the interface required Kinect. What changed?

It works perfectly fine without, it is definitely better with it though and I would recommend buying it.

The only feature I can think that might not work is the "Xbox, record that"

Bgamer90

Banned
Dat gap is why.

June is a good indicator because of the price drop. If the sales gap continues to increase in NA (which it will, because every multiplat from now until the end of the year is being headlined on PS4) then once we hit holiday, that momentum will only continue. You're right. Many people don't buy consoles until Christmas season, and when they do, they typically look to their friends and the general perception/reviews of the system before going out and buying the system. In what way does Xbox One have the edge in that regard?

Did Master Chief Collection get pushed to 2015? Is Halo now not a popular series in US?

I don't get these posts at all. The Xbox One has many solid games coming this Fall. There's really no big games releasing on the system this month and sales almost always increase during the Xmas season. Both the PS4 and Xbox One will do well and ::gasp:: it's still possible for the Xbox One to do better than the PS4 in November and December with the gap between the two still being the same or even increasing (500K+).

I don't get these posts at all.

Architect

Neo Member
The horrible ranking of the $399 SKU on Amazon.com is concerning, however imperfect a measure it is to track sales in the U.S.

The industry could do without having two consoles being close to dead in the non-holiday period.

cakely

Hmm some think sunset is a system seller, no way, Titanfall barely made a dent.

Titanfall had a few "issues" which prevented it from becoming a true mover of consoles. It was 1.- Multi-Platform, and 2.- It had no single-player campaign.

That being said, I would classify Sunset Overdrive exactly in the same way as Infamous: Second Son. It's a high-budget, very interesting-looking, original single-player game that's not a bro-shooter. Everyone should manage their expectations.

BigDug13

The only thing that will be concerning for MS is if the XBO lifetime starts to track lower than 360 at the same point. (Disregarding the fact that 360 had supply issues at the start.)

Is the XBO tracking lower than 360 over the same post-launch time period?

Titanfall had a few "issues" which prevented it from becoming a true mover of consoles. It was 1.- Multi-Platform, and 2.- It had no single-player campaign.

3. - It was unplayable without being logged into a Gold account which accounts for roughly 1/3 of total consoles on 360 and probably 2/3 of total consoles on XBO as possible purchasers of the game.

Didn't they have the Titanfall bundle (which included Kinect and the game) down to $450 or $400 at some point? It's crazy that removing the Kinect suddenly made a lot of people want to get one.

The $400 price point for the Titanfall bundle was very brief. Just a few hours when a coupon code malfunctioned on the Microsoft Store website. But most retailers went down to $450 at some point in March. I can recall Walmart, Best Buy, and I think Amazon doing this. Target also went down to $450, and they included a year of XBL Gold at one point as well, so that was probably the best deal that was easy to obtain.

But I agree, these deals were actually better than the $400 Kinectless Xbox One, so it seems strange that it is getting this much traction. It's probably more a matter of public perception than anything else.

Did Master Chief Collection get pushed to 2015? Is Halo now not a popular series in US?

I don't get these posts at all. The Xbox One has many solid games coming this Fall. There's really no big games releasing on the system this month and sales almost always increase during the Xmas season. Both the PS4 and Xbox One will do well and ::gasp:: it's still possible for the Xbox One to do better than the PS4 in November and December with the gap between the two still being the same or even increasing (500K+).

I don't think the Halo collection is going to be that huge, most of its sales will go to people who already own the console. And when it's big E3 selling point was 'Exactly like it was 10 years ago!' I think once you've got the nostalgics out of the way (who most likely have families now, and Halo allnighters with their mates isn't going to happen) there's not going to be much of a market left.

I'd be surprised if it does better numbers than Titanfall.

The $400 price point for the Titanfall bundle was very brief. Just a few hours when a coupon code malfunctioned on the Microsoft Store website. But most retailers went down to $450 at some point in March. I can recall Walmart, Best Buy, and I think Amazon doing this. Target also went down to $450, and they included a year of XBL Gold at one point as well, so that was probably the best deal that was easy to obtain.

But I agree, these deals were actually better than the $400 Kinectless Xbox One, so it seems strange that it is getting this much traction. It's probably more a matter of public perception than anything else.

The UK got some incredible deals with Titanfall, Forza and Gold, and I can't see those console sales been topped this year.

I think you're putting too much stock into remasters/collections. Especially as a system seller.

rokkerkory

I don't think the Halo collection is going to be that huge, most of its sales will go to people who already own the console. And when it's big E3 selling point was 'Exactly like it was 10 years ago!' I think once you've got the nostalgics out of the way (who most likely have families now, and Halo allnighters with their mates isn't going to happen) there's not going to be much of a market left.

FWIW, Halo MCC is reason why I am getting X1 this fall. I know this for some of my friends as well that are still playing on our 360.

Let's rewind a bit and set something straight: EVERY month is a good indication of the system's momentum. Now that Xbox One has price parity, failiing to match PS4 shows that there are other factors at work here other than just price (which both you and I know is true, anyway).

I never said Halo was not a popular series. I said that I don't think Xbox One will take the Holidays. I don't see how Halo = popular = Xbox One wins Holiday 2014.

Speaking of popularity, you know what else is popular? Heck, you know what is MORE popular than Halo? Call of Duty. Assassin's Creed. Battlefield. Grand Theft Auto. All of these franchises sell as much if not more than Halo, and they're all going to sell better on PS4. I find it hard to believe that a collection (as great of a deal it may be) is going to make up for those four games selling better on PS4.

And I've neglected to mention Destiny, a game made by Bungie and which will directly cannibalize Halo's sales. Don't think for a second that current or former Halo players aren't thinking to themselves "Why not just get Destiny instead?" after the multiplayer disappointment known as Halo 4.

But yeah, you're right. Xbox One can win Holiday because HALO, y'know?

FWIW, Halo MCC is reason why I am getting X1 this fall. I know this for some of my friends as well that are still playing on our 360.

It's going to sell great no doubt, I just don't think they are going to be huge this time and I don't think it's going to be an end of the year game changer.

I honestly think SO and Forza Horizon 2 are going to be the console shifters, with the latter getting the bulk and the former a few hundred thousand fence-sitters.

Bgamer90

Banned

I think you're putting too much stock into remasters/collections. Especially as a system seller.

Right now I'm seeing it in a similar fashion to Mario All Stars and that compilation helped the SNES gain momentum vs. the (at the time, higher marketshare) Genesis due to it being in SNES bundles.

Completely different series during a completely different time/gen of course but the Halo series is still big (especially in America) and the Master Chief compilation is a great value. It will sell to people interested in Halo 5, people not interested in Halo 5 (due to them not liking Halo 4), and just Halo/shooter fans in general. I honestly think it will do better than Titanfall, especially since I can see the Master Chief Collection still selling pretty well after Halo 5 is released. Titanfall (1) sales will drop after its inevitable sequel.

I don't doubt there are some diehard Halo fans who are also holdouts but I sincerely doubt a remaster of the Halo games is going to change anyone's mind about the console---if you wanted a Halo game you already knew you'd have to get that console eventually..

The question is how many of those diehards are actually out there. I'd bet there's not enough to make a big difference.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
It's going to sell great no doubt, I just don't think they are going to be huge this time and I don't think it's going to be an end of the year game changer.

I honestly think SO and Forza Horizon 2 are going to be the console shifters, with the latter getting the bulk and the former a few hundred thousand fence-sitters.

Sunset Overdrive is the Jet Set Radio of it's time: quirky, great art style, a pin in the hat of the XB1 lineup, and does next to nothing in moving consoles. It's way too out there to appeal to the mass market.

FH2 and Driveclub both won't do much for either system. There's a reason why MS didn't do a gameplay demo of FH2 up on stage, and why it's a cross platform release: racing games don't move consoles like they used to. Sony didn't even mention DC at all in the conference I think.

BigDug13

Right now I'm seeing it in a similar fashion to Mario All Stars and that compilation helped the SNES gain momentum vs. the (at the time, higher marketshare) Genesis due to it being in SNES bundles.

Completely different series during a completely different time/gen of course but the Halo series is still big (especially in America) and the Master Chief compilation is a great value. It will sell to people interested in Halo 5, people not interested in Halo 5 (due to them not liking Halo 4), and just Halo/shooter fans in general. I honestly think it will do better than Titanfall, especially since I can see the Master Chief Collection still selling pretty well after Halo 5 is released. Titanfall (1) sales will drop after its inevitable sequel.

I guess the question really is: How many major Halo fans haven't already bought an XBO? I would have thought most of them already purchased for Titanfall and were going to eagerly await the arrival of Halo games eventually.

Maybe there's a large contingent of Halo fans who have been sitting on the fence and will now buy XBO's. Or maybe most of those fans who still want to play Halo have already jumped in. We don't really know at this point.

It's going to help sales of course. We just don't know how much or how long and whether or not that uptick in console sales will help close the gap with PS4 sales over the same period and lifetime.

If they bust out with a Halo collection XBO bundle special edition and price it at $399, they're going to sell a lot of consoles this year. My wallet will be begging for it, too.

(But the idea that right now, right this minute, XBO's are flying off the shelf just because they repackaged and removed hardware and ended up at a lower price point. I'm not buying that. Not right now.)

Sunset Overdrive is the Jet Set Radio of it's time: quirky, great art style, a pin in the hat of the XB1 lineup, and does next to nothing in moving consoles. It's way too out there to appeal to the mass market.

FH2 and Driveclub both won't do much for either system. There's a reason why MS didn't do a gameplay demo of FH2 up on stage, and why it's a cross platform release: racing games don't move consoles like they used to. Sony didn't even mention DC at all in the conference I think.

What about Gran Turismo?

That's what I mean when I say it will pick up the fence-sitters, it's going to collect a few buyers this year who were probably going to hold out till 2015. It's not going to do any business in the wider market, no. My friends still call Mario a 'kiddie' game - and that's after 25 years of watching me play some of the most hardcore games you can get - and SO will get rolled eyes among the Cod/Fifa/Creed crowd. One my friends tried to mock me because he 'finished' Bangaio with the bomb cheat, even though I was halfway through my second run with no-hit bonus for the first 22 levels he still said I was rubbish :(

It's a sad fact, but those Sega blue skies only appeal to a relative few.

As for Driveclub, that's going to start it's push at the end of the summer with Gamescom. Word-of-mouth, plus video and photo shares on Facebook are going to move that game in numbers I reckon, that share button was a genius move.

Let's rewind a bit and set something straight: EVERY month is a good indication of the system's momentum. Now that Xbox One has price parity, failiing to match PS4 shows that there are other factors at work here other than just price (which both you and I know is true, anyway).

I never said Halo was not a popular series. I said that I don't think Xbox One will take the Holidays. I don't see how Halo = popular = Xbox One wins Holiday 2014.

Speaking of popularity, you know what else is popular? Heck, you know what is MORE popular than Halo? Call of Duty. Assassin's Creed. Battlefield. Grand Theft Auto. All of these franchises sell as much if not more than Halo, and they're all going to sell better on PS4. I find it hard to believe that a collection (as great of a deal it may be) is going to make up for those four games selling better on PS4.

And I've neglected to mention Destiny, a game made by Bungie and which will directly cannibalize Halo's sales. Don't think for a second that current or former Halo players aren't thinking to themselves "Why not just get Destiny instead?" after the multiplayer disappointment known as Halo 4.

But all those 3rd party games are available on Xbox One as well. Sure, they'll perform better on the PS4, but I'm still pretty dubious regarding how important that factor is to the general public. That issue is important here, sure, but that's cause we're the hardest of hardcore gamers. We fuckin' argue about this shit on an internet forum when we're NOT playing games.

I think console exclusives play a bigger role in the Average Joe's decision. Microsoft has Sunset Overdrive, Forza Horizon 2, and the Master Chief Collection coming out this fall as its AAA exclusive titles. Sony has DriveClub and LittleBigPlanet 3. Let's assume that Forza Horizon 2 and DriveClub essentially nullify one another. Now you're left with Sunset Overdrive and Master Chief versus LBP. Now I'm not going to knock the LBP franchise. They're cute games, and they're well made. But I have to think that for the majority of the target audience, young men ages 18 to 35, Sunset Overdrive and Halo are gonna be bigger pulls, especially when you factor in how hard the Microsoft marketing machine will be pushing them.

Sony's failure to deliver a big AAA title this fall is going to make the fight for the holidays a close one to call as far as console sales go. Sure, the Master Chief Collection is only a remaster, but it could help sway the balance.

DWinn7

Personally, I wanted pair up a XB1 with my PS4, so this Master Chief Collection seems like the right time to make the leap. I just wished they bundled it with the Kinect + Console.

Those who are looking for a reason to make the XB1 leap will probably do so this fall with Halo and Sunset Overdrive

Biker19

Banned
But all those 3rd party games are available on Xbox One as well. Sure, they'll perform better on the PS4, but I'm still pretty dubious regarding how important that factor is to the general public. That issue is important here, sure, but that's cause we're the hardest of hardcore gamers. We fuckin' argue about this shit on an internet forum when we're NOT playing games.

I think console exclusives play a bigger role in the Average Joe's decision. Microsoft has Sunset Overdrive, Forza Horizon 2, and the Master Chief Collection coming out this fall as its AAA exclusive titles. Sony has DriveClub and LittleBigPlanet 3. Let's assume that Forza Horizon 2 and DriveClub essentially nullify one another. Now you're left with Sunset Overdrive and Master Chief versus LBP. Now I'm not going to knock the LBP franchise. They're cute games, and they're well made. But I have to think that for the majority of the target audience, young men ages 18 to 35, Sunset Overdrive and Halo are gonna be bigger pulls, especially when you factor in how hard the Microsoft marketing machine will be pushing them.

Sony's failure to deliver a big AAA title this fall is going to make the fight for the holidays a close one to call as far as console sales go. Sure, the Master Chief Collection is only a remaster, but it could help sway the balance.

To be honest, outside of a few gems like Halo & Gran Turismo, no one cares about exclusives anymore. If that were the case, then the PS3 would've dominated in sales over Xbox 360 for the last 4 years in the U.S.

They're like bonuses to people.

jem0208

Can you give me some examples?

Examples of what?

If you mean why it's better with the Kinect then mainly due to the fact that could go from having the TV off to having it switched on and streaming a movie via Netflix without ever having to get up and find the controller. It really just enables you to be really lazy and I love it.

It also speeds up navigation quite a lot. You can go straight from playing a game to watching TV to streaming a movie without having to go through any menus. "Xbox, Bing" is also great because it means you don't have to use a shitty onscreen keyboard. Basically it just speeds everything up and makes it a generally better experience.

The UI is by no means slow with a controller, in fact it works fine and whenever I have to be quite I can easily work my way around it with a controller. It's just faster, and a lot better with a Kinect.

All people care about is where can I play the big 3rd party games in the best quality for the lowest price. The exclusives are just icing on the cake.

Also, momentum is a real thing. I remember even when Sony did right things with the PS3 nobody was willing to give a damn because momentum was on the 360 side and people were buying 360s to play with other people who had 360s.

Amazon trending is a really bad way to track consoles. The PS4 has always beaten the XB1 by a lot on there, even in December where XB1 outsold PS4 and in February where XB1 sales were over 90% of PS4 sales.

On top of that, the Destiny bundle being really close to the top is a no-brainer. If you plan to get a PS4 sometime in the future and are going to get Destiny you might as well get the Destiny bundle as you save $10 and get a special white PS4. Likewise, it's just a preorder so you can cancel it later if you want and Amazon will ship it so that it arrives on time and you don't have to go out to get it. Same thing with Master Chief collection. In comparison, if you want a kinectless XB1 you can order from Amazon and end up waiting at least a few days for it to arrive or you can just go out and get one from a retail store and have it same day.

Does this come with a headset included?

Yes.

Bgamer90

Banned
Let's rewind a bit and set something straight: EVERY month is a good indication of the system's momentum.

The PS4 sold 200K in NPD last month which was a drop. I highly doubt that sales won't increase as we head into the Fall/Xmas season though.

And I never said that the Xbox One will win. I simply said that it could, especially if the Master Chief Collection is bundled.

Speaking of popularity, you know what else is popular? Heck, you know what is MORE popular than Halo? Call of Duty. Assassin's Creed. Battlefield. Grand Theft Auto. All of these franchises sell as much if not more than Halo, and they're all going to sell better on PS4.

...And I'm pretty sure they will all sell well on the Xbox One too.

I find it hard to believe that a collection (as great of a deal it may be) is going to make up for those four games selling better on PS4.

I don't see/get what an exclusive not selling as well as multiple multiplats that will be on both systems has much to do with it. Again, I'm not saying the Xbox One will overtake the PS4 in overall NA sales. I'm just saying that it's possible for the system to do better than the PS4 during the Holiday season due to Halo Collection being probably the biggest exclusive on any console this Holiday season with other new games in the Xbox one library to back it up.

Xbox 360 had better overall sales as well as multiplat games sales in the US but that didn't stop the PS3 from outselling it during a handful of months (from what I can remember) in the US.

Many will be getting both Master Chief Collection and Destiny... well at least people who own an Xbox One. I also don't see why some finding Halo 4 disappointing matters. We aren't talking about Halo 5. The Master Chief Collection will feature the gameplay before the "disappointing" Halo 4.

It might in America/NPD because of Master Chief Collection, on top of other (third party) games as well. Don't see how that's far fetched.

All people care about is where can I play the big 3rd party games in the best quality for the lowest price.

Not everyone. Many do though.

rokkerkory

You cannot underestimate a halo game esp one with 4 full games included + h5p beta. Its's going to be best selling exclusive game this fall.

Biker19

Banned
All people care about is where can I play the big 3rd party games in the best quality for the lowest price. The exclusives are just icing on the cake.

Also, momentum is a real thing. I remember even when Sony did right things with the PS3 nobody was willing to give a damn because momentum was on the 360 side and people were buying 360s to play with other people who had 360s.

This. Momentum/Perception goes a long way nowadays. It isn't games. It isn't price drops. You're only given one chance to make a good impression on average consumers when introducing your newer console. One. You screw up, & that's the end. Which is why the PS3 suffered, & why the Wii U, & Xbox One are suffering.

Plus average consumers don't go on gaming sites like this, or watch Live performances such as E3, Gamescom, & Tokyo Game Show like we do.

BigDug13

To be honest, outside of a few gems like Halo & Gran Turismo, no one cares about exclusives anymore. If that were the case, then the PS3 would've dominated in sales over Xbox 360 for the last 4 years in the U.S.

Exactly.

Many of the major exclusives from the past just aren't exclusive anymore.

Morrowind was Xbox exclusive. Bethesda doesn't do that anymore.

GTA was PS2 timed exclusive. Rockstar doesn't do that anymore except telling PC owners to piss off.

Bungie's Halo franchise was passed on to another dev who has BIG shoes to fill and they have yet to be up to the task. While Bungie themselves are creating a HUGE franchise across every platform.

From Software is still making some exclusives, but has embraced multiplatform development when it didn't involve SCEJ.

Call of Duty and Battlefield used to be PC-only franchises, then CoD2 was Xbox as console exclusive. Now it's all multiplatform.

Quite simply, console exclusives aren't the big kids on the block anymore. They'll sell some consoles, sure. But they're not as much THE reason to choose a console like they had been in previous generations for the general gamer. People buy mostly for the multiplatform games from Ubisoft, EA, Activision, 2K, etc.

Fuck, somebody should probably tell Microsoft and Sony to stop throwing money at developers to make exclusives then...

BigDug13

Fuck, somebody should probably tell Microsoft and Sony to stop throwing money at developers to make exclusives then...

You make exclusives to try to grab the hardcore gamer. That translates to mindshare among those hardcore gamers' friends. Those gamer friends who aren't so hardcore are in it for the CoD, madden, AC, Battlefield, Watch Dogs, GTA, etc.

Biker19

Banned

I'm not saying that. I'm just saying of what goes on in the marketplace as of today. We're no longer in the 80's, 90's, or the early to mid 2000's anymore in which they mattered to consumers.

Nintendo has made plenty of great exclusives for the Wii U, only for almost nobody to buy the console for them. Only the most hardcore fans will care about exclusives.

The MCC is a bundle of games years old with an MP aimed at nostalgic Halo fans. The mainstream that makes Halo huge won't be interested, they'll just see it as "those games we played years ago". Remasters and remakes have never been big system pushers, not even from big franchises. I doubt Halo will be the exception judt because Halo

It's going tk sell very well, but it's not going to be a big system sellrr, imo.

TS-08

I think you are looking at it wrong. I think AAA exclusives, on average, probably have more power to sell a particular system than an average AAA multiplat. But combined, I think the AAA multiplats like CoD, GTA, Madden, Assassin's Creed, etc., probably sell more systems total. MS has the advantage this year when it comes to exclusives, but that is really just one game (maybe SO will surprise). But PS4 has the advantage with every 3rd party game. This is because of power, but also because of marketing and the "where my friends are" factor. Even cross-gen games like Madden, Destiny, and CoD will probably influence a lot of people to adopt next-gen systems to play, and most of them will choose the PS4. I don't see the XB1 threatening in any month other than November, unless they put out some bundles.

They can't be flying of shelves that fast as I've already tried to trade-in my Kinect for the One and they wouldn't accept it. The day Gamestop starts accepting trade-ins for the camera is the day we'll know they've sold a good amount of Kinectless Ones.

I think you are looking at it wrong. I think AAA exclusives, on average, probably have more power to sell a particular system than an average AAA multiplat. But combined, I think the AAA multiplats like CoD, GTA, Madden, Assassin's Creed, etc., probably sell more systems total. MS has the advantage this year when it comes to exclusives, but that is really just one game (maybe SO will surprise). But PS4 has the advantage with every 3rd party game. This is because of power, but also because of marketing and the "where my friends are" factor. Even cross-gen games like Madden, Destiny, and CoD will probably influence a lot of people to adopt next-gen systems to play, and most of them will choose the PS4. I don't see the XB1 threatening in any month other than November, unless they put out some bundles.

I think that's highly speculative. I'm the opposite based on your example. Most of my friends are on XBL so the system for games I can play with friends will end up being the Xbox, and that doesn't have shit to do with power.

Exactly.

Many of the major exclusives from the past just aren't exclusive anymore.

Morrowind was Xbox exclusive. Bethesda doesn't do that anymore.

GTA was PS2 timed exclusive. Rockstar doesn't do that anymore except telling PC owners to piss off.

Bungie's Halo franchise was passed on to another dev who has BIG shoes to fill and they have yet to be up to the task. While Bungie themselves are creating a HUGE franchise across every platform.

From Software is still making some exclusives, but has embraced multiplatform development when it didn't involve SCEJ.

Call of Duty and Battlefield used to be PC-only franchises, then CoD2 was Xbox as console exclusive. Now it's all multiplatform.

Quite simply, console exclusives aren't the big kids on the block anymore. They'll sell some consoles, sure. But they're not as much THE reason to choose a console like they had been in previous generations for the general gamer. People buy mostly for the multiplatform games from Ubisoft, EA, Activision, 2K, etc.

This list is pretty dubious.

Call of Duty 2 was not really an Xbox exclusive, it's just that the PS3 hadn't been released yet. Call of Duty 3, and every CoD after, was multiplatform.

Yes, From Software is releasing games to multiple platforms when not moneyhatted. That's how it works for all 3rd party games.

And how on Earth can people say exclusives are not important when some of the absolute best games are coming from 1st party studios? The Naughty Gods live up to their nickname and released the GOTY last year with The Last of Us. That's not important to anyone? Uncharted 4 isn't going to be a big release for PS4?

I just don't get this argument that exclusives are no longer important.

Thrakier

Let's hope so.

i2nhSOOd4kPrg.gif

Insane, everything what is wrong with gaming journalism captured in one gif.

1.) They do not know what they are talking about, at all. Not because they couldn't but because they are actually lazy to do their homework.

2.) They don't even act like there are journalists like actually being prepared and having sources. "I heard something like uh..." - and the problem is, people out there believe it, because, well, they are journalists, they are doing their job, they got to be right. Right?

Unbelievable. There is not enough heads to shake to make up for this epic failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom