• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2014: $399 Xbox Ones "Flying Off The Shelves" at GameStop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giggzy

Nope, it won't be for sure between 50 and 75% off -- the PR was careful to say UP TO 50-75% off.

It's a nonsense statement that *does* imply what you think, but we already know that Forza was only 33% off.

Aw, okay. Thanks for the clarification. Those slimy PR people...

It hasn't officially been announced but from the looks of it, sony is planning to do it. The thread about the exclusive content has an article on it.

Are you talking about xbox outselling the ps4? I'll book mark yours too just for fun.

Did I stutter? I said nothing about anything outselling anything. I was talking about your all or nothing remark.

RetroStu

Banned
You could also end up surprised, what are you predicting anyway.

I think it will be one of the best selling games on either system in the fall, beaten only by COD and maybe Battlefield. As for actual numbers, i don't know, its hard to say with only a few million consoles out there.

Quotient

Microsoft are going to find it hard with the performance advantage of the ps4 and the studio advantage of the ps4. There is no compelling reason to buy a xbox one except for their exclusives, and there aren't that many of them, and they will be harder to lock down as time passes and the gap in sales widens across the globe.

If Microsoft wanted to make an impact they need to drop the price lower than sony. It will be interesting what the next few months of npd results will show.

Being the most requested Halo as far as remakes go, released for 40$ on a console with a 80m install base.

Great sales, sure. But i'm not sure it's going to blow up X1 console sales.
Especially not when probably every halo gamer still has Halo 3 and Halo 4 right there on their shelves for 360, ready to play.

I think the appeal lies in H1A en H2A, mainly.

H2A will sell on the nostalgia of the multiplayer and there's plenty of it. I have friends who already planning to buy an X1 because of it.

These guys went full PC this gen and had no intention of buying either a PS4 or X1. H2 MP just has that kind of draw for some people.

ElNino

The people who played H1/H2 hardcore at the time of release are probably in their mid-twenties now. I struggle to imagine a huge part of this crowd that's still interested in mixing it up online, those who do mostly fueled by nostalgia and great memories. Forums like GAF, where the average age is probably right in the mid-twenties sweet spot, it's going to be huge.

The average 16 year old? I don't see them spending 70$ on remakes when games like Destiny and Call of Duty are fighting for their allowance money this holiday.
Mid-twenties is probably at the very low end for the people who played Halo 1 & 2. Most of the people I played Halo with are in their late 30's to early 40's now.

I am most looking forward to playing the collection with my son actually.

Disclaimer - I have both systems.

What drives me insane, just absolutely insane, is the one thing that can't be fixed is the GPU. The PS4's GPU is more powerful, and there simply is no way around it for Microsoft except a new console.

So I'm in a position where my friends (and my kids' friends) are getting Xboxes because they don't care and it's what they're familiar with, putting me in a position to a) buy the inferior version of a multiplatform game to play with them, or b) playing the best version, and then being in no-man's land.

Microsoft broomed the people whose job it was to sign off on the final hardware in that box, but it still makes me extremely upset that they cheaped on the graphics hardware. Last gen the 360 had both better hardware and everyone I knew had it, so things were smooth sailing. Now I have to assess every single multiplat release to determine whether or not it's a game that I'm going to play online with friends or not. Because it's pretty damn clear at this point that the Xbone is never, ever going to have the better running version of any multiplat game. I own two copies of CoD Ghosts FFS. I did not enjoy doing that.

If they killed the Xbone and PS4 next year and came out with new hardware that was either closer to parity or the Xbox was the more powerful version, I'd be dancing in the streets. I'd gladly eat that $1000 punch in the junk.

Really surprised that there are people out there who only have friends that game on one platform. As I've gotten older, most of the folks I play with online are actually from places like GAF anyway. Many of my real life friends are simply not into gaming nearly as much as I am.

I have found no difficulty in finding fun people to play with on any console.

Duxxy3

Microsoft are going to find it hard with the performance advantage of the ps4 and the studio advantage of the ps4. There is no compelling reason to buy a xbox one except for their exclusives, and there aren't that many of them, and they will be harder to lock down as time passes and the gap in sales widens across the globe.

If Microsoft wanted to make an impact they need to drop the price lower than sony. It will be interesting what the next few months of npd results will show.

Xbox live, the controller, the OS.

I have an Xbox one now because of the controller. Dual shock 4 is great, but not good enough with the control scheme they want to push.

.hacked

Lol, I don't believe this, 3 people in the same line all trading in their PS4, at the same time in the same day? 3 people who all bought ps4s within 30 days ago so they could still return them?

I doubt that...

They were not trading in the ps4s they from the looks of it were returning them. I was at the CS desk (never anyone back in game dept so I went to CS desk). One guy was waking way with Xbox one, 2 opened ps4 on desk one plugged into tv to see if working would be my guess. 3rd guy was behind me with ps4 in bag. 2 xbones on desk. So I take it must be returning one for the other. 2nd guy was also trading in the online FF game for ps4 and used credit to get pc version.

I was there 10:10am right after they opened so maybe they all got there together.

Just to be clear I was there trading in my copies of BF4 for credit to preorder 2 copies of Diablo 3 UE and one copy of last of us remaster all for Ps4.

H2A will sell on the nostalgia of the multiplayer and there's plenty of it. I have friends who already planning to buy an X1 because of it.

These guys went full PC this gen and had no intention of buying either a PS4 or X1. H2 MP just has that kind of draw for some people.

What's your prediction as far as sales go for MCC?

Mid-twenties is probably at the very low end for the people who played Halo 1 & 2. Most of the people I played Halo with are in their late 30's to early 40's now.

I am most looking forward to playing the collection with my son actually.

Were you in your late 20s when you played Halo 2 or something? I was 15 when Halo 2 came out, so mid-20s (I'm 25 btw) to me would be the majority of the people who played Halo 1/2, especially considering the majority of xbl at that time seemed to consist of a bunch of teenage assholes modding and standbying nonstop.

Right now I see on Amazon.com:

PS4 Destiny White : 8
PS4 black : 9

XB1: 47

Its amazon and all but I feel like if they were flying off shelves we would be seeing more interest online.

Melchiah

No you're correct. I've been around about 10 years or so. Microsoft really shit the bed last year, but they've made great strides to correct it. The problem is, nobody wants to give them credit for it because their console of choice has already been decided. Instead of giving them credit for really listening this time and trying to deliver, people still continue to nitpick and find any ridiculous flaw and run it into the ground.

The same can be said about last generation. When PS3 turned things around late in the life cycle, and started to really deliver the quality first part games and PS Plus, while all Microsoft gave us was two years of Kinect to ride the 360 off into the sunset with, a lot of gamers still wouldn't give Sony credit. Because their decision had already been made, and instead of any ounce of objectivity, you find the little chink in the armor and continue going after it.

Yeah, I also remember the attitude sticking with the PS3 for a large part of its life. The PS3's early sub-par games like Lair and Haze, and the continuing knockouts on Digital Foundry, only fed the flames. I think it really changed somewhere around 2011-2012, when the games started piling up, and like you said, PS+ also contributed on building good will towards the system. It'll be interesting to see how it goes this time.

Wii60 4 life

=D Never forget.

RetroStu

Banned
Were you in your late 20s when you played Halo 2 or something? I was 15 when Halo 2 came out, so mid-20s (I'm 25 btw) to me would be the majority of the people who played Halo 1/2, especially considering the majority of xbl at that time seemed to consist of a bunch of teenage assholes modding and standbying nonstop.

I was 26 when Halo 2 came out and many of my friends were a lot older and they played Halo. I know Halo can be very colourful looking but its not just a kids game lol.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I really don't understand why they didn't re-announce the $399 Xbox at the MS conference. Or did I miss it?

I really don't understand why they didn't re-announce the $399 Xbox at the MS conference. Or did I miss it?

They released the info a month early because they had too many games to fit in at the press conference. In fact, they had to move some game announcements forward like SO and FH2, just so they could make room in the conference for games such as SO and FH2.

I dunno. I bought a Xbox One for Sunset Overdrive. It felt to me like a better fit with the Sony fanbase but I knew it wasn't ever coming to the PS4. I'm burned out on Halo and Gears. Maybe I'm the exception to the rule but I think it would do Microsoft plenty of good to give Sunset Overdrive a good push on TV.

That's weird, as Sunset Overdrive (along with Crackton 3) convinced me that the 360 I fell for ten years ago was back with the One now. With Forza Horizon 2 being the PGR3 stand in I guess.

I was leaning towards the PS4 for months but this e3 stopped me cold. I'll take a weaker Destiny for Sunset Overdrive any day of the week.

I have both systems and faced the exact same dilemma. All my family and friends stuck with Xbox while I was championing the PS4 and it sucked not being able to play with them. I now buy all my multiplats on the Xbox.

It does suck not being able to play the better version of the game, but try and change your perspective a bit and you'll realize it won't matter anymore. The graphical differences are, for the most part, extremely overplayed. Unless it's a 720p title (which I think there have only been a few despite what others try to say), then the jaggies suck. BF4 on Xbox is ugly as hell compared to the 900p on PS4.

Same situation thats why i got all three of the console but the majority of my friends are just waiting for halo to come out to buy xbox one, it's actually the main thing i hear amongst them (waiting for halo to buy)

dakun

they are selling the Titanfall Bundle with Kinect and 50% off of Xbox Live in Germany for 449€
at that price 399 for a Gameless and Kinectless Xbox One is ridiculous to even consider.

Quotient

Xbox live, the controller, the OS.

I have an Xbox one now because of the controller. Dual shock 4 is great, but not good enough with the control scheme they want to push.

I don't buy a game console for the OS. As long as it is quick and gets me to my game I am happy. Both network and control pads have reached parity and in many cases the ps4 comes out ahead - playstation plus as an example.

Sure it definitely comes down to preferences, but Microsoft are making it easy to prefer the ps4.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
all about the games, boss

They released the info a month early because they had too many games to fit in at the press conference. In fact, they had to move some game announcements forward like SO and FH2, just so they could make room in the conference for games such as SO and FH2.

It would have taken maybe 10-15 seconds. I mean, take that time out of the Fable demo or something, but it would seem to be pretty darn important to announce the new price especially considering they timed the release on the exact date of the conference...huh.

Duxxy3

I don't buy a game console for the OS. As long as it is quick and gets me to my game I am happy. Both network and control pads have reached parity and in many cases the ps4 comes out ahead - playstation plus as an example.

Sure it definitely comes down to preferences, but Microsoft are making it easy to prefer the ps4.

I'd still put the XB1 controller ahead of the DS4 in racing games and shooters (especially racing games that use the impulse triggers). Anything that makes heavy use of triggers I would still rather play on the XB1 controller. The DS4 has better triggers than the DS3, but they're still not up to par.

rokkerkory

It would have taken maybe 10-15 seconds. I mean, take that time out of the Fable demo or something, but it would seem to be pretty darn important to announce the new price especially considering they timed the release on the exact date of the conference...huh.

It wouldn't have gain them much, backlash would have been it's now on par with ps4!

EGM1966

Before I get too excited about their view of the new SKU "flying off the shelves" I'll consider they view sales of XB1 with Kinect as "vibrant".

While I'm sure sales have improved I think they're putting a different emohasis on those terms than generally employed.

What's your prediction as far as sales go for MCC?

Overall or within the launch period? Launch period will probably be 750k-1m with about 3m - 3.5m (maybe 4m at a push) sales total over the course of 2015.

I doubt it will sell more than Halo 3 or even Halo 4, but it should easily sell more than HCEA.

Caja 117

^ I dont think the collection will sell like that launch period, just with the fact that its coming with Halo 5 beta should give a bump to its number. I say it will be almost 2m around Launch period.

I was 26 when Halo 2 came out and many of my friends were a lot older and they played Halo. I know Halo can be very colourful looking but its not just a kids game lol.

Same here.

You never know how the consumers are going to react, but, in my group of friends, all of them that haven't bought a next gen console, and they are now decided to buy an Xbox console when the collection is released. i think this collection shouldnt be put in the same category as a previous HD remakes, because of the Multiplayer, if this collection does good, expect a CoD collection to appear.

I do think that Halo collection is going to surprise regarding sales, and while its going to help sell some Xbox Ones, I doubt it is going to catch up to the PS4 (heck Im a halo fan, but I want to play multiplats on the console where they look/play better)

ElNino

Yes, I was 27 when Halo 2 came out. While I'm sure there were plenty of 15 year olds playing Halo 2 when it came out, I think that is the low end of the range.

quetz67

Banned
they are selling the Titanfall Bundle with Kinect and 50% off of Xbox Live in Germany for 449€
at that price 399 for a Gameless and Kinectless Xbox One is ridiculous to even consider.
Yep, saw standard SKU with second controller for 444€. Kinectless SKU is DOA in Europe.

theWB27

LBP3 will sell more than Halo Collection WorldWide mark my words, Halo is irrelevant outside US.

Is this combining both PS3/4 sales or are you just going to go with PS4? I mean....LBP3 will have a significant advantage because of that 75+ million PS3 install base -_-

JavaMind

Banned
Is this combining both PS3/4 sales or are you just going to go with PS4? I mean....LBP3 will have a significant advantage because of that 75+ million PS3 install base -_-

I mean only PS4

Halo will sell really bad outside US that is the problem...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You don't think there are a fair number of fence sitters who might lean one way or another based on TLOU Remastered or the Master Chief Collection? I'm sure these releases help with acceleration of ownership, but I have to think they're also swaying some people as well.

I can't believe there are many people that would be swayed towards an Xbox because a halo game is coming to it, or a playstation because a Naughty Dog game is coming. Surely they're a given, and already factored into what platform people might have a preference towards?

KaiserBecks

Because you won't get a deal on that eventually, right? 399 for a kinectless Xbox One is a permanent, official option. The Titanfall bundle isn't.

Sean*O

It's getting harder to understand the whole 'Xbox ecosystem' argument. If the PS4 is selling so many more units than the Xbone (and it is) then how can it be that so many people have "everyone they know" gaming on an Xbone?

To me it looks like more people are jumping platforms and if anything the larger install base of the PS4 would make the most sense for online play.

That's pretty odd considering they're currently running a promo for trading in a PS3 or 360 Slim. I'm guessing you saw some PS3s being traded in and assumed they were PS4 systems? Anyways, last night I took advantage of that offer and traded in my PS3 for $160 to slap down towards a new Xbox One.

My experience...

- Microcenter was offering both the Titanfall bundle and Forza bundle for $450. My local Best Buy said they would price match it, and let me do the PS3 trade in promo.

- Doh! NO Titanfall bundles OR Forza bundles at my local store??!! What about the next closest BB? NO??! WTF? Maybe they really are selling? Third closest location's a charm, they have a Titanfall bundle.

- On the way down the wife informs me of another promo they're running for $20 off Live w/purchase of a new 360 or X1.

- Grab the last Titanfall bundle and one year of Live for $490. Not the best deal yet, but the best I could find in the US at the moment. Went to show the guy the Microcenter website (you had to request a price) and the Titanfall bundle was literally taken off the website. Luckily I still had my email from earlier in the day and he honored it.

Anyways I'm excited! Didn't get the chance to hook it up, but hopefully will tonight. Grabbing Ryse for sure on Saturday and two other games. Thinking DR3 and maybe Forza 5. Interested in Killer Instinct and maybe the Panzer Dragoon knockoff. I'd go for Plants vs Zombies GW, but maybe I should just wait for the PS4 version.

Going to unload my PS3 collection this weekend as well. Going to miss Katamari Forever. Losing Dark Souls is no biggie since I'll be getting the 360 version for free through Live.

Anyway you could pm me that email I want to do the same thing.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Yes, I was 27 when Halo 2 came out. While I'm sure there were plenty of 15 year olds playing Halo 2 when it came out, I think that is the low end of the range.

I was 26. I'll give you a hint.. we were already a year or two outside of the primary marketing demographic (18-25), and at that point were a less desirable demographic than 14-17 year olds. Yeah we are among the oldest generations of gamers... but we haven't been publishers' most desired generation since URNOTE.

FWIW a bunch of 30 year olds (thereabouts) got all nostalgic with Mario Kart 8's media hype over Mario Kart 64. So take ~4 years off of that and.. yup.. probably the largest demographic of then-halo players is in their mid-20s right now.

I can't believe there are many people that would be swayed towards an Xbox because a halo game is coming to it, or a playstation because a Naughty Dog game is coming. Surely they're a given, and already factored into what platform people might have a preference towards?

this was my point almost verbatim a page back or so. Franchise titles of constant high quality and/or sales. If someone didn't care about TLOU among the already high scores and sales, they aren't going to magically care now. Same thing for Halo.

It's either new exclusive IPs, or at best old IPs that were traditionally overlooked and get a shot in the arm from a major unexpected release. TitanFall could have been that game, but wasn't. Bloodborne and/or Scalebound could be those games.. but are almost a year out or more.

theWB27

I was 26. I'll give you a hint.. we were already a year or two outside of the primary marketing demographic (18-25), and at that point were a less desirable demographic than 14-17 year olds. Yeah we are among the oldest generations of gamers... but we haven't been publishers' most desired generation since URNOTE.

FWIW a bunch of 30 year olds (thereabouts) got all nostalgic with Mario Kart 8's media hype over Mario Kart 64. So take ~4 years off of that and.. yup.. probably the largest demographic of then-halo players is in their mid-20s right now.

I was 18 when Halo 2 came out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom