• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2014: $399 Xbox Ones "Flying Off The Shelves" at GameStop

Status
Not open for further replies.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I think it's in everybody's interest to see the Xbox One do worse. If this is all it takes to get back on track we're in a bad place. We still have Medhi news today about the original vision being right and the consumers are wrong. If we want Microsoft to be a serious contender in this race they need to be doing a lot worse, especially in NA/UK.

Just look at it from us consumers. Sales went off a cliff and we got Kinect thrown out, paywall removed, GWG for Xbox One and let's not forget a total 180 with the online requirements. Their tactic is now: copy Sony. But we don't want them to copy Sony; we want them to think on their own and create a system that does something else. Real Xbox fans want the system to continue to sell worse for their own sake.

The worst thing that can happen, according to me, is if sales putters on and don't offend or inspire anyone. It just sits there and does nothing important. A vocal minority sings its praises and Microsoft thinks they've gotten away clean. If you're a real fan. Take your frustration out on Microsoft so they'll make a better console next time around. If they get away with the Xbox One just imagine how the next one will be.

Yep, I'm showing my dedication to the Xbox brand by refusing to buy it. In fact as a true fan I hope that they go out of business.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Yep, I'm showing my dedication to the Xbox brand by refusing to buy it. In fact as a true fan I hope that they go out of business.

First part is true. The second is up to you. The best way to help people, and businesses, when they do something wrong is to not support it. It helps them grow. That's how competition works. They need to adapt in order to make products the market wants.

I guess we'll find out once the NPD comes out. No stories, no PR of how well is selling, no discussions of who has the better games. Just numbers…

xemumanic

Their tactic is now: copy Sony. But we don't want them to copy Sony; we want them to think on their own and create a system that does something else. Real Xbox fans want the system to continue to sell worse for their own sake.

NO, their tactic is to do what we asked for.

Every single thing they've done since E3 last year is in response to what gamers have said. We were very VERY well detailed about what was wrong, and what needed to be done to fix it. They reversed their stance on the DRM issue IN A DAY. They took out the Kinect and dropped the price by $100. They've spent all year adding in the features to the dashboard that we asked for. We complained about little in the way of games being shown at their E3 press conference, this year they do a conference of nothing BUT games. This is exactly what Phil Spencer said on stage at the start and the end of their press conference.

And what the hell are you talking about? What fan would want the thing they're a fan of to do worse?

groshkar

Just look at it from us consumers. Sales went off a cliff and we got Kinect thrown out, paywall removed, GWG for Xbox One and let's not forget a total 180 with the online requirements. Their tactic is now: copy Sony. But we don't want them to copy Sony; we want them to think on their own and create a system that does something else. Real Xbox fans want the system to continue to sell worse for their own sake.

I wouldn't have a big problem if they copy Sony, especially if they try to mimic what they did when the PS3 sputtered out of the gate last gen. Reinvest in first party game studios, make some great unique games that you can't get anywhere else (including windows) and I'm sure there's a lot of people that will pick one up. Keep pushing the value and you might just even get some folks to switch their primary console over to you.

If this is true, just goes to show you the regular consumer does not pay attention to E3.

As IMHO Sony had the superior conference for a general public.

Barzul

I think it's in everybody's interest to see the Xbox One do worse. If this is all it takes to get back on track we're in a bad place. We still have Medhi news today about the original vision being right and the consumers are wrong. If we want Microsoft to be a serious contender in this race they need to be doing a lot worse, especially in NA/UK.

The worst thing that can happen, according to me, is if sales putters on and don't offend or inspire anyone. It just sits there and does nothing important. A vocal minority sings its praises and Microsoft thinks they've gotten away clean. If you're a real fan. Take your frustration out on Microsoft so they'll make a better console next time around. If they get away with the Xbox One just imagine how the next one will be.
SlCXLfC.gif

Just seen the £349 xbox TV add.......

Problem was he was talking to the TV, " Xbox on, Xbox go to TF, Xbox snap, Xbox record that "

but does any of that work with the kinectless xbox?

Parch

It shouldn't be a surprise. XBox One will be fine, at least in North America.

The game lineup at E3 isn't going to hurt sales either. MS basically ignored Kinect which helps the new hardware direction.

If anything, Sony kinda dropped the ball at E3 and gave a cheaper XB1 a reason to live.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
First part is true. The second is up to you. The best way to help people, and businesses, when they do something wrong is to not support it. It helps them grow. That's how competition works. They need to adapt in order to make products the market wants.

I agree. I think another Xbox 1-like generation of sales for MS could remind them to make an Xbox 360 next generation.

Except that I don't think there will be a next generation for MS, but that's a different issue.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.

So, basically, we should make damned sure Microsoft (and other companies) listens more to its consumers before buying their products? They don't have our best in mind so we should repay the favour. I'm okay with letting them work for us.

I don't own a Xbox One or PS4, but this right here is absolute drivel. Sony were appalling in the beginning of the previous industry, Microsoft was appalling in the beginning of this. If they listen to their fan bases, they deserve a second chance. Saying that Microsoft is copying Sony simply because they are trying to correct some of the upsets they have caused.. It's amazingly ignorant and shortsighted.

In the end it's about the games. Remove yourself from the politics and your good/evil notion of it. Often it's a few silly ignorant managers and executives making shitty choices on behalf of a company that has thousands of great people working there.

It's been really stimulating to me, in such a short while to see so many policies change when it comes to Xbox One. When you think of other giant corporations like FIFA, the NFL, Bank of America, Monsanto, EA, the big cable companies and broadband providers. I've been very impressed with both Sony's and Microsofts turn around. I don't think it's common in many industries to listen like these two multi billion dollar corps have.

theWB27

I agree. I think another Xbox 1-like generation of sales for MS could remind them to make an Xbox 360 next generation.

Except that I don't think there will be a next generation for MS, but that's a different issue.

An OG Xbox generation type sales (24 mill) would likely cause your second scenario to happen. As it stands now....there's pretty much nothing indicating they'll pull out of the console biz.

Parch

They need to adapt in order to make products the market wants.
And that's what they've done.

The whole MS should be accountable outrage is pretty much just internet nonsense. Their E3 conference wasn't excuses or apologies, it was games games games. They've made the adaptations and are ready to move on. As they should.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
An OG Xbox generation type sales (24 mill) would likely cause your second scenario to happen. As it stands now....there's pretty much nothing indicating they'll pull out of the console biz.

As the PS4 snowballs I think the Xbone's sales will crater. 24-30 mil seems pretty likely to me.

Maybe. It depends on what you mean.

I think if the XBO had been selling at the same rate as the PS4 then I think it's unlikely we would have gotten the decoupling of Kinect or the changes to Live Gold policy.

Sometimes a competitor getting kicked in the shins a bit is good for the consumer.
Fair enough. I didn’t feel that adding “...while at the same time offering customers what they want” was necessary, but now I realize that my post can be read as “All consoles should sell well at all times and under any circumstances.”

Of course the "giving customers what they want" part is still up in the air for Microsoft. We'll have to wait and see if these reports turn out to be true.

I actually prefer it when worse consoles sell less than better consoles.
I’m just glad that, if I ever need to know the ultimate answer to the eternally subjective question of “Which is the worst console?” I’ll know who to ask!

gtj1092

It's a good general indication, yes but I was just saying that trying to guess actual numbers based on that is going to be a bit silly.

It's #56 on the best sellers for June thus far, will be interesting to see if it goes up.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2014-06/videogames

Wow so the white ps4 is already 26th for the month. Outsold the $399 X1 in a few days. Sales won't count till September though. Regular Ps4 sales seem to be trucking along as normal too. Just glad both consoles are the same price so the talking point of ps4 only selling better because of price will end.

Still weird seeing people still play the better exclusives card when CoD defined last generation and Watchdogs just dropped and helped ps4 sales increase and out sold titanfall even though it wasn't exclusive.

zpoc

Neo Member
I don't own a Xbox One or PS4, but this right here is absolute drivel. Sony were appalling in the beginning of the previous industry, Microsoft was appalling in the beginning of this. If they listen to their fan bases, they deserve a second chance. Saying that Microsoft is copying Sony simply because they are trying to correct some of the upsets they have caused.. It's amazingly ignorant and shortsighted.

In the end it's about the games. Remove yourself from the politics and your good/evil notion of it. Often it's a few silly ignorant managers and executives making shitty choices on behalf of a company that has thousands of great people working there.

It's been really stimulating to me, in such a short while to see so many policies change when it comes to Xbox One. When you think of other giant corporations like FIFA, the NFL, Bank of America, Monsanto, EA, the big cable companies and broadband providers. I've been very impressed with both Sony's and Microsofts turn around. I don't think it's common in many industries to listen like these two multi billion dollar corps have.

yes. anyone who thinks ms failing is in the best interests of gamers is deluding themselves. strong competition in the console market is essential to us as gamers and consumers.

as mentioned, remember how shitty the early years of the ps3 were? that was how sony acted when they thought they didn't have to worry about competition. the result was cocky, insulting corporate rhetoric and an overpriced machine that couldn't deliver 3rd party games at parity with the competition. sounds familiar...

it took sony a long time to right that ship, and i'll give it up to ms for doing so much faster. i had no interest in buying an xbox one when it was revealed, but i own one now (it sits next to the ps4 i bought at launch.)

both companies have shown their ability to make shitty choices, and both have shown their ability to react to the market and deliver quality products. because that's all this is - an attempt to sell a product to a market. defining either company as "good" or "evil" is so ridiculous i find it amazing that it needs to be argued against at all.

Gestault

What? If you say Forza the not was even discussable but Horizon did nothing... poor sales and 80ish meta.

It was neither a sales or critic success.

How about this: It rated higher than the last four Gran Turismo releases, which is the game you've chosen for your Neogaf icon. You're the one ascribing value to the range of review scores, which puts your own taste in question. I'd assert that it's a stretch to say a game with a review average of 85 isn't a critical success. That's why there's been excitement for the announcement of the sequel for the XB1 (and why it ties to the conversation here).

icespide

Banned
which was worse from a "anti-consumer" perspective? sony with the PS3 at the beginning of last gen or microsoft with the xbox one this gen?

ethomaz

Banned
How about this: It rated higher than the last four Gran Turismo releases, which is the game you've chosen for your Neogaf icon. You're the one ascribing value to the range of review scores, which puts your own taste in question. I'd assert that it's a stretch to say a game with a review average of 85 isn't a critical success. That's why there's been excitement for the announcement of the sequel for the XB1 (and why it ties to the conversation here).
So Horizon sold 10 million and it was a huge system seller last gen driving 360 sales... thanks for not understand my comment ;)

which was worse from a "anti-consumer" perspective? sony with the PS3 at the beginning of last gen or microsoft with the xbox one this gen?

Not even a question, it is MS. The only thing Sony did wrong was being arrogant and having a high price (which for all it offered was actually a very good deal)

MS was straight up trying to screw everyone over on top of the high price

Klocker

NO, their tactic is to do what we asked for.

Every single thing they've done since E3 last year is in response to what gamers have said. We were very VERY well detailed about what was wrong, and what needed to be done to fix it. They reversed their stance on the DRM issue IN A DAY. They took out the Kinect and dropped the price by $100. They've spent all year adding in the features to the dashboard that we asked for. We complained about little in the way of games being shown at their E3 press conference, this year they do a conference of nothing BUT games. This is exactly what Phil Spencer said on stage at the start and the end of their press conference.

And what the hell are you talking about? What fan would want the thing they're a fan of to do worse?

Exactly

Anion

This is rather interesting as MS would seem to have been anti consumer, but never followed through and has not only taken steps before even releasing the console, but also within a year to fix the complaints.
Sony didn't care at first and just pushed through.

So oddly, I have to say MS might have had the worse idea, but the better consumer delivery

tskeeve

Arguably the XB1. It had DRM policies that the PS3 didn't have, and it also failed in the sense that it didn't offer its price tag in value. Wasn't the XB1 being sold at cost (or close to cost)? The PS3 was being sold at a $300 loss.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Not even a question, it is MS. The only thing Sony did wrong was being arrogant and having a high price (which for all it offered was actually a very good deal)

'The only thing'? They built a completely cynical product that suited Sony's interests far more than it suited anyone else's.

MS is worse because of the DRM, I think, but let's not rewrite history to contend that the PS3 was Sony trying to sell us some amazing product for a bargain price. PS3 was Sony's attempt to establish two industry standards at their own benefit and at the expense of the consumer, in Cell and Blu Ray. The fact that it played games was the carrot.

Gestault

So Horizon sold 10 million and it was a huge system seller last gen driving 360 sales... thanks for not understand my comment ;)

I understood it well, and quoted it to keep it clear. Half of your point was that the game was not regarded highly enough to warrant notice in terms of the conversation. My point was a direct response to you, and I'm not seeing a retort.

ethomaz

Banned
I understood it well, and quoted it to keep it clear. Half of your point was that the game was not regarded highly enough to warrant notice in terms of the conversation. My point was a direct response to you, and I'm not seeing a retort.
My point continues the same... how can a game that have low sales and avg. 85 on critics be the best racing game in the last generation and that will drive sales for Xbox One?

Forza is discussable but Horizon? You are bringing GT here for nothing.

xemumanic

I disagree. Sony got cocky, AND they tried to make excuses for it/dictate to us as to why it was the right thing. It took them ages to fix things. Within the past year, MS has done just about everything I can think of off the top of my head.

icespide

Banned
I disagree. Sony got cocky, AND they tried to make excuses for it/dictate to us as to why it was the right thing. It took them ages to fix things. Within the past year, MS has done just about everything I can think of off the top of my head.

I think the question is more or less how offensive was the original issue, not how well did they fix it. at least in my mind

xemumanic

I think the question is more or less how offensive was the original issue, not how well did they fix it. at least in my mind

Well indeed, there was that, but the fact that Sony tried for a long time to force it on us despite the reaction was ridiculous. They were belligerent, trying to force it upon us despite the negative reaction. MS started turning things around within 24 hours starting with the DRM.

I guess we'll find out once the NPD comes out. No stories, no PR of how well is selling, no discussions of who has the better games. Just numbers…

Exactly.

Month after month we keep hearing some sad defense that these are slow months, or how it outsold the PS4 in December.

But doing the math, the Xbox One sales numbers have fallen every single week since then. January was less than December. Feb was less than that. March, April, so on.

Heck, it's already done worse on a monthly basis than the Xbox 360 ever did in its first 8 years.

May is already assumed to be the worst so far, not just for the trend, but inflated by the wait for June.

But that means waiting until July 10th or so before this discussion even goes anywhere, because of that. Otherwise it's just meaningless back and forth.

'The only thing'? They built a completely cynical product that suited Sony's interests far more than it suited anyone else's.

MS is worse because of the DRM, I think, but let's not rewrite history to contend that the PS3 was Sony trying to sell us some amazing product for a bargain price. PS3 was Sony's attempt to establish two industry standards at their own benefit and at the expense of the consumer, in Cell and Blu Ray. The fact that it played games was the carrot.

That's exactly what I said, arrogance.

The PS3 at the price it released was an amazing deal, for the bluray alone. On top of that it supported all kinds of media, and had PS2 BC. So yes, it was actually quite literally them selling us a machine at bargain price (as you said, let's not rewrite history)

They couldn't fix it as fast as MS because price was the issue and they had to get the price down before they could cut it. The original PS3 cost Sony 800+ but they sold it at 500/600.

That's nothing compared to what MS tried to do. Not even in the same ballpark. At the very least Sony had some level of reason to be arrogant, MS didn't ad they came in third.

gtj1092

Well indeed, there was that, but the fact that Sony tried for a long time to force it on us despite the reaction was ridiculous. They were belligerent, trying to force it upon us despite the negative reaction. MS started turning things around within 24 hours starting with the DRM.

You do understand one was a software problem and the other was a hardware problem. Sony was already losing close to $300 per console sold. What were you expecting them to do. They would of actually been justified if they would said "you can't just flip a switch"

Microsoft needs to reinvest in their atrophied first-party studios again. That's basically all that matters now that the consoles share the same architecture (except the Xbone is weaker).

You do understand one was a software problem and the other was a hardware problem. Sony was already losing close to $300 per console sold. What were you expecting them to do. They would of actually been justified if they would said "you can't just flip a switch"

People seem to forget what a great deal the PS3 was. Blurays back then cost almost 1000 bucks or more so getting a PS3 for 600 was amazing.

Was it the right choice? No, but I'm sure as heck glad I didn't have to dish out 1000 bucks for bluray

xemumanic

All good points, I think in the end, both were equally bad for different reasons. I wasn't trying to say Sony was worse than MS, but Sony's missteps weren't getting as much discussion in comparison. One wasn't worse than the other. They both were bad for us, and we as gamers appropriately reacted negatively to it.

Jomjom

Banned
I don't get how anyone can argue with someone who has friends who game primarily on one system. All of my friends game on PS4, just as some people have friends who all game on Xbox One. What the heck is controversial about this??!?!

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I’m just glad that, if I ever need to know the ultimate answer to the eternally subjective question of “Which is the worst console?” I’ll know who to ask!

But I didn't say which one is worse, only that a worse console exists. This is irrefutable because the probability that two consoles are exactly equally good, by any measure, is approaching zero.

I disagree. The list of their lies was long. Pushing Blu-Ray down everyones throats was as silly as mandatory Kinect. Dem royalties. We had to suffer through that useless Blu-Ray Versus HD-DVD war.

Playstation Home, the long list of horrible overhyped games, Sixaxis, PSN being broken beyond belief, Phil Harrison touting PS3 outselling 360 even with no games, crazy Ken calling the competition Xbox 1,5.

Come the hell on. Watch the E3 2006 recap and watch the deceit. It was a long con. Jesus christ.

I don't see either of them as "anti-consumer". They were products with flaws of various types. I'm not sure why either of them would be considered "anti-consumer" though, since the flaws were known up front before purchase. Customers knew the PS3 was $500-$600. Customers fairly long in advance that disc resales would have been limited on Xbox One, and that an internet connection would be required to use it. Then again, I differentiate "flawed product" and "anti-consumer product".

The only things I would consider "anti-consumer" would be the RROD stuff, and the OtherOS stuff, since those were things that affected customers that had already paid money for those products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom