• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2014: $399 Xbox Ones "Flying Off The Shelves" at GameStop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revolver

You never know how the consumers are going to react, but, in my group of friends, all of them that haven't bought a next gen console, and they are now decided to buy an Xbox console when the collection is released. i think this collection shouldnt be put in the same category as a previous HD remakes, because of the Multiplayer, if this collection does good, expect a CoD collection to appear.

I do think that Halo collection is going to surprise regarding sales, and while its going to help sell some Xbox Ones, I doubt it is going to catch up to the PS4 (heck Im a halo fan, but I want to play multiplats on the console where they look/play better)

That sounds like my friends too. So far, only one has a new gen console and he got an Xbox. After that Halo collection was announced I've heard "time to get that new Xbox" a bunch from them. I try to tell them about the power difference between the PS4 and XO but they don't seem to care. Last gen I was the lone PS3 owner in my circle so online gaming with them was nonexistent and that factor has me leaning towards MS. I do love Sony exclusives though so I know I'll have to have a PS at some point.

Piggus

It's getting harder to understand the whole 'Xbox ecosystem' argument. If the PS4 is selling so many more units than the Xbone (and it is) then how can it be that so many people have "everyone they know" gaming on an Xbone?

To me it looks like more people are jumping platforms and if anything the larger install base of the PS4 would make the most sense for online play.

I was wondering this too haha. I see a lot of people say stuff like "well all my friends are on Xbox so that's what I'll get" but in reality the momentum is going the other direction.

If my friends had something that I didn't want I'd tell them to piss off and I'd buy the better product. I don't know why people get locked into something just because their friends aren't very informed. Thankfully all my friends ARE well-informed about the differences of the systems... And they're all getting PS4s.

Overall or within the launch period? Launch period will probably be 750k-1m with about 3m - 3.5m (maybe 4m at a push) sales total over the course of 2015.

I doubt it will sell more than Halo 3 or even Halo 4, but it should easily sell more than HCEA.

Agreed with these numbers. The MCC will be a big seller, just like TF, but similar to TF it also won't be moving many systems. It doesn't represent any threat and it's targeted primarily at the Nostaligc Halo core. The mainstream that make Halo huge will not be interested, to them it's just "Those games we played years ago".

I'll also predict that Sony will easily dominate the Holiday season, so long as stock holds up.

I was wondering this too haha. I see a lot of people say stuff like "well all my friends are on Xbox so that's what I'll get" but in reality the momentum is going the other direction.

If my friends had something that I didn't want I'd tell them to piss off and I'd buy the better product. I don't know why people get locked into something just because their friends aren't very informed.

Some people have this misconception that xbox will win because it's destined to, because it's Xbox. what they can't seem to understand is the incredibly fickle nature of the NA market. There is no brand loyalty here. Sony went from dominating with PS2, to getting outsold 2-to-1 with the PS3. Before that the N64 was dominating before the PS1 started taking over and even before that the Genesis was the main console. The market changes and just goes with what's best, cheapest, and most hyped. Right now, Sony has taken all the mindshare. Price isn't the only issue MS faces, a bigger issue (imo) is that the Ps4 is seen as the "cooL" console. It's the console to own, similar to the way the 360 was treated last gen.

That's an obstacle that's going to be very, very difficult to overcome. What's worse, if they start catching up, all Sony needs to do is a price cut, plus Destiny/PS4 or GTAV/PS4 bundle for $399 and MS will go right back to where they started.

By the time Halo 5 comes around next year, the WW gap will likely be closing in on 10 million (though I think 8 million is more reasonable). It's coming in too late.

theWB27

If my friends had something that I didn't want I'd tell them to piss off and I'd buy the better product. I don't know why people get locked into something just because their friends aren't very informed.

Because these people game socially and get the systems their friends get because it's more fun. Better product is subjective in this case....some people game for things other than resolution.

Bgamer90

Banned
It's getting harder to understand the whole 'Xbox ecosystem' argument. If the PS4 is selling so many more units than the Xbone (and it is) then how can it be that so many people have "everyone they know" gaming on an Xbone?

Because the sales gap isn't that big in the US. Last gen the sales gap between the PS3 and Xbox 360 was 3 Million+ back in 2006-2007.

Right now the US sales gap is ~500,000 and on top of that the US userbases on both PSN and XBL are huge. The "more of my friends game on this platform"-advantage of the PS4 is 55/45 vs. the Xbox One in America. Really isn't surprising if a person in the US has more friends on XBL/Xbox One.

If my friends had something that I didn't want I'd tell them to piss off and I'd buy the better product. I don't know why people get locked into something just because their friends aren't very informed. Thankfully all my friends ARE well-informed about the differences of the systems... And they're all getting PS4s.

Yeah, it's crazy that people want to play games with friends. They should care more about graphics... even if that means they have to play with strangers :|

Also, "aren't very informed"? Really? What if they chose the console because it has games that aren't on the other one? What kind of childish/immature line of thinking is this?

On Demand

Banned
No you're correct. I've been around about 10 years or so. Microsoft really shit the bed last year, but they've made great strides to correct it. The problem is, nobody wants to give them credit for it because their console of choice has already been decided. Instead of giving them credit for really listening this time and trying to deliver, people still continue to nitpick and find any ridiculous flaw and run it into the ground.

The same can be said about last generation. When PS3 turned things around late in the life cycle, and started to really deliver the quality first part games and PS Plus, while all Microsoft gave us was two years of Kinect to ride the 360 off into the sunset with, a lot of gamers still wouldn't give Sony credit. Because their decision had already been made, and instead of any ounce of objectivity, you find the little chink in the armor and continue going after it.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind_share

Piggus

Because the sales gap isn't that big in the US. Last gen the sales gap between the PS3 and Xbox 360 was 3 Million+ back in 2006-2007.

Right now the US sales gap is ~500,000 and on top of that the US userbases on both PSN and XBL are huge. The "more of my friends game on this platform"-advantage of the PS4 is 55/45 vs. the Xbox One in America. Really isn't surprising if a person in the US has more friends on XBL/Xbox One.

The current split doesn't tell the whole story. The Xbone only sold well relative to the PS4 in it's first couple months. Sales dropped way down after that and now it's being outsold by a pretty wide margin.

The sales gap was 3 Million+ because the 360 had a whole year to itself. This gen, the sales gap is 500k even though both launched at the same time.

Yes, it's "only" 500k right now, but that gap will continue to grow for the rest of this gen. Eventually it'll be "just 1 million", "just 2 million", etc.

The X1 loosing in NA means the WW gap will be tens of millions.

Beefy

Was a Xbox only last gen. But I felt the PS3 had more exclusives I liked the look of and missed out on then the 360. I am not into Halo or Gears, so decide to go PS4 this time round.

I still want both consoles to do sell well as it will keep them both on their toes.

theWB27

The sales gap was 3 Million+ because the 360 had a whole year to itself. This gen, the sales gap is 500k even though both launched at the same time.

Yes, it's "only" 500k right now, but that gap will continue to grow for the rest of this gen. Eventually it'll be "just 1 million", "just 2 million", etc.

Unless the Xbox360 sold 3 million in its first year in NA then your math is pretty much irrelevant.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
You mean when the 360 was around for a whole year prior to the PS3? Or do you mean when the best 360 cost $200 cheaper than the "main" PS3? I mean you do realize you are comparing apples to dinnerware here, right?

Right now the US sales gap is ~500,000 and on top of that the US userbases on both PSN and XBL are huge. The "more of my friends game on this platform"-advantage of the PS4 is 55/45 vs. the Xbox One in America.

and growing every month. I mean isn't that what the conversation in this thread is about? "Right now the US sales gap is ~500,000" and as of tonight it's expected to be well over 600K. If it grows again with June's NPD... I mean at what point is the "last-gen's ecosystem" argument going to really stop being a talking point if PS4 outsells XBONE every month since launch except for Dec'13?

Unless the Xbox360 sold 3 million in its first year in NA then your math is pretty much irrelevant.

MS shipped 10M units in their first year.. just basic market makeup suggests that they had more than 3M. More likely closer to 5M by the time PS3 and Wii hit store shelves.

I can't see the better lineup for Xbox...

Both have to remastered games(Last of US one of the best games ever)

Both have Racing games

MS has Sunset Overdrive but Sony has LBP3(a franchise which sold 10 million copies only in PS3)

Where is the better lineup? The rest is betas for both sides... and indies...

Horizon was the best racing game of last gen. Its sequel has got to account for something.

Bgamer90

Banned

Yes I know that. Still doesn't change what I said. In the US it's ~45% Xbox One and ~55% PS4. Last gen the gap was much bigger between PS3 and 360 which is why the 360 was known as "the console my friends own" in the US by default.

How do you know this? We don't know what's going to happen 3+ years from now... And again, that doesn't change my point. My point was about the present in the US and right now the PS4 doesn't have a huge sales advantage in the US for it to be known as "the console my friends game on" in the same fashion as the 360 last gen. Could that change later? Sure, but that wasn't my point.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Not sure if you prefer digital or physical media (I'm strictly digital), but Deals with Gold will have Ryse on sale at some point this month. I believe it will be around 40-60% off original price.

Thanks for the heads up, but I prefer physical. Especially when these HDDs are kinds small.
Ryse is pretty cheap through Gamefly last I saw, but I also have a B2G1 free offer from Gamestop, which I will be using saturday.

Also looks like I was given bad info by a Best Buy employee as a local store may have the Forza bundle in stock. I'd like to exchange my Titanfall bundle for it since the included games are digital. At least with Forza I'll always have a single player game to play, whereas Titanfall, at some point will be useless. I'd prefer a physical copy to unload whenever the sequel hits, or the community dries up.

Bgamer90

Banned
You mean when the 360 was around for a whole year prior to the PS3? Or do you mean when the best 360 cost $200 cheaper than the "main" PS3? I mean you do realize you are comparing apples to dinnerware here, right?

and growing every month. I mean isn't that what the conversation in this thread is about? "Right now the US sales gap is ~500,000" and as of tonight it's expected to be well over 600K. If it grows again with June's NPD... I mean at what point is the "last-gen's ecosystem" argument going to really stop being a talking point if PS4 outsells XBONE every month since launch except for Dec'13?

Heh, what is wrong with you guys? I simply said that the sales gap in the US isn't that big for the PS4 to been seen as the default console here as of right now (like the 360 was last gen). Yes, that could change in the future but my post wasn't about the future. It was about why people (well Americans) are saying that they are getting an Xbox One because more of their friends have it now.

You guys need to get out of console war mode.

Edit: My point was never about last gen ecosystems transferring over to this current gen. I simply brought up the 360 since that was the default "console my friends play on" last gen in the US and as of right now neither the PS4 or Xbox One have that advantage like the 360 did in the US last gen.

theWB27

MS shipped 10M units in their first year.. just basic market makeup suggests that they had more than 3M. More likely closer to 5M by the time PS3 and Wii hit store shelves.

This is just US though.

Heh, what is wrong with you guys? I simply said that the sales gap in the US isn't that big for the PS4 to been seen as the default console here as of right now (like the 360 was last gen). Yes, that could change in the future but my post wasn't about the future. It was about why people (well Americans) are saying that they are getting an Xbox One because more of their friends have it now.

You guys need to get out of console war mode.

I get what you're saying. I mean, the 360 was dubbed the bro shooter partly because of this. In the US...it's not hard to see why people buy an X1 because their buy an X1. 500k lead this early isn't nearly large enough to say that can't be possible.

DopeToast

Banned
I know the sales of the 360 were far greater than the PS3 in the US, but weren't they closer worldwide? Like didn't the PS3 have the advantage by the end? I wonder what is more important to the company though. Maybe Microsoft doesn't think it can break into Europe and Japan anyway and is only focused on the US, and maybe the US sales drive the worldwide sales a little bit too. I don't know. It's interesting nonetheless. I'm trying to avoid my Sony bias which I've had since the PS2, and just hope that each console sells enough that the other company feels they need to make meaningful changes to their console and/or price drop.

borghe

but the NPD numbers show every month that you're hypothesis is in fact wrong..

This is just US though.
that's why I said "basic market makeup suggests". By the time 360 hit 80M units ~50% of those were in the US. By Nov'06 MS still hadn't launched completely worldwide. This means that likely MORE than 50% of those 10M first year 360s were in the US.. aka ~5M.

mike4001_

That sounds like my friends too. So far, only one has a new gen console and he got an Xbox. After that Halo collection was announced I've heard "time to get that new Xbox" a bunch from them. I try to tell them about the power difference between the PS4 and XO but they don't seem to care. Last gen I was the lone PS3 owner in my circle so online gaming with them was nonexistent and that factor has me leaning towards MS. I do love Sony exclusives though so I know I'll have to have a PS at some point.

Nothing wrong with that.

I stand to the point, that nowadays you just need both consoles. Both just have there "must-have" games.

I don´t wanna miss HALO for the world ... but the same goes for the new Uncharted !

theWB27

that's why I said "basic market makeup suggests". By the time 360 hit 80M units ~50% of those were in the US. By Nov'06 MS still hadn't launched completely worldwide. This means that likely MORE than 50% of those 10M first year 360s were in the US.. aka ~5M.

Got ya

borghe

The only industry where people champion switching costs as if it's a good thing.

what switching costs? huh? No backwards compatibility for software. No backwards compatibility for hardware. what, switching out one subscription service for another? let's see.. stop paying for one and start paying for the other?

what costs?

Don't speak for me!
Oh, but I do.

everyone-gary-oldman-2.gif

jem0208

It's is objective if you use objective metrics such as review scores, though. I'm not arguing either way, but it is a matter that can be discussed objectively indeed.

The problem with review scores is that they are also extremely subjective.

Using subjective data to objectively analyse something just isn't going to work.

You could say Game A averaged a higher metacritic score than Game B therefore Game A is factually better than Game B. However I could just counter with "I prefer Game B" hence essentially rendering that "fact" incorrect.

There's also the problem that the exclusives from each of the systems are vastly different and therefore it is very difficult to easily compare the two sets as a whole. Even comparing two games within a genre such as Killzone and Halo is difficult because they are very different FPS games.

Silas

Banned
For me it was PGR3 and sold better than Horizon.

I don't believe this is true. Sagging sales numbers is what the PGR series was discontinued.

Edit: According to ******** FH beat PGR3 1.72 million to .58 million in sales, nearly tripling the sales.

Cheech

Really surprised that there are people out there who only have friends that game on one platform. As I've gotten older, most of the folks I play with online are actually from places like GAF anyway. Many of my real life friends are simply not into gaming nearly as much as I am.

That is pretty much my problem. I don't mean any offense to anybody, but in my experience the Xbox people I know aren't into gaming that much at all and are very casual. They buy Xbox because it's what they know; it's like Nintendo or Atari in the 1980s. Synonymous with gaming.

If those people had bought PS4s and taken a cue from me, that would have been great. But it was out of their comfort zone, so now I'm stuck with an Xbox One I only play when forced. Frankly, I hate the fucking thing, everything from the UI to the bad ports drive me insane. I do like the controller though, and the WiFi actually works (had to hardwire the PS4).

Ironically, Halo is the game I'm most looking forward to this fall. That says more about the generally crappy software lineup more than the quality of the Halo package, though.

In America, the parity is much closer than elsewhere in the world, especially post-Titanfall. Hell, I know a guy who bought his kids an Xbone just so they could play PvZ with another Xbone owning family in my neighborhood. It's partially the reason I have one as well, so my kid can play with theirs.

I sure hope so. Everyone wins when all consoles sell well.

Maybe. It depends on what you mean.

I think if the XBO had been selling at the same rate as the PS4 then I think it's unlikely we would have gotten the decoupling of Kinect or the changes to Live Gold policy.

Sometimes a competitor getting kicked in the shins a bit is good for the consumer.

Lemondish

Was a Xbox only last gen. But I felt the PS3 had more exclusives I liked the look of and missed out on then the 360. I am not into Halo or Gears, so decide to go PS4 this time round.

I still want both consoles to do sell well as it will keep thrm both on their toes.

This is one thing I don't want. Sales parity for the sake of sales parity helps nobody. If the market decides the Xbox One (or the PS4, or the Wii U) is a weaker product and not very good for them, it should be weeded out. This perception that sales parity is somehow beneficial to us as consumers is wrong. Having a competitive platform is beneficial to us. Sales parity is not.

I will finish this by saying I don't, in any way, believe the Xbox One is a bad product and should die. I think it has a lot more challenges ahead of it than the PS4 must contend with, first and foremost being that they're always going to be less powerful. They'll need to find a way to succeed just like Sony needed to with the PS3. It'll be great to see how they handle this challenge in the years to come.

That's weird, as Sunset Overdrive (along with Crackton 3) convinced me that the 360 I fell for ten years ago was back with the One now. With Forza Horizon 2 being the PGR3 stand in I guess.

I was leaning towards the PS4 for months but this e3 stopped me cold. I'll take a weaker Destiny for Sunset Overdrive any day of the week.

I own a PS4 so getting the One was made pretty easy once I had the cash. I wouldn't make the Xbox One my main system.

I don't believe this is true. Sagging sales numbers is what the PGR series was discontinued.

Edit: According to ******** FH beat PGR3 1.72 million to .58 million in sales, nearly tripling the sales.
By the way, the only semi-reliable numbers on Chartz are figures that have been adjusted to match data released by publishers, NPD, Famitsu, Media-create, and so on. The rest of their data is created via algorithms that project sales for a title based on known sales for past titles in a genre, taking into account vague variables like marketing, critical reception, and so on. Most of their numbers are wildly inaccurate because of this. A Chartz forum goer who used to assist in their data collection admitted that most of their numbers aren't based on any real sales data on their forums in a thread on NPD's April data, after it was revealed that Chartz overestimated XB1's sales almost 2:1.

The site owner refuses to reveal his methodology or sources of data, presumably because it would bring his moneymaking scheme to an end.

Bgamer90

Banned
Personally I'm hoping Microsoft remembers they own the Hydro Thunder ip. I'd love to see another over the top HT sequel.

I would love a new one. There's that new Riptide GP game coming soon too but I don't know how good it will be.

Hypothesis? What are you talking about? I never made one.

The combined US sales of the PS4 and Xbox One is a little bit over 5 million right now. PS4 accounts for around 55% of that while the Xbox One accounts for 45%. Therefore, neither the PS4 or Xbox One is seen in America as the "default console my friends play on" as of right now.

Yes, that could change but my original reply came from someone asking why a person could say that they have more friends gaming on the XB1 as of right now.

Reg

Banned
Sorry, this thread is too long, but did we get actual numbers from anywhere? Or is it just speculation right now?

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I think it's in everybody's interest to see the Xbox One do worse. If this is all it takes to get back on track we're in a bad place. We still have Medhi news today about the original vision being right and the consumers are wrong. If we want Microsoft to be a serious contender in this race they need to be doing a lot worse, especially in NA/UK.

Just look at it from us consumers. Sales went off a cliff and we got Kinect thrown out, paywall removed, GWG for Xbox One and let's not forget a total 180 with the online requirements. Their tactic is now: copy Sony. But we don't want them to copy Sony; we want them to think on their own and create a system that does something else. Real Xbox fans want the system to continue to sell worse for their own sake.

The worst thing that can happen, according to me, is if sales putters on and don't offend or inspire anyone. It just sits there and does nothing important. A vocal minority sings its praises and Microsoft thinks they've gotten away clean. If you're a real fan. Take your frustration out on Microsoft so they'll make a better console next time around. If they get away with the Xbox One just imagine how the next one will be.

Giggzy

To me it looks like more people are jumping platforms and if anything the larger install base of the PS4 would make the most sense for online play.

Because I don't have 8 million friends. Only about 15 close friends and family that play on Xbox. I'll get 7,999,985 more friends soon though!!

.... What a stupid comment.

Sorry, this thread is too long, but did we get actual numbers from anywhere? Or is it just speculation right now?

The closest thing we have to solid in terms of how the new SKU is doing is the Amazon rankings but trying to derive numbers from those is folly.

Caja 117

I think it's in everybody's interest to see the Xbox One do worse. If this is all it takes to get back on track we're in a bad place. We still have Medhi news today about the original vision being right and the consumers are wrong. If we want Microsoft to be a serious contender in this race they need to be doing a lot worse, especially in NA/UK..
What? he didnt said that, you should read the whole article.

That is pretty much my problem. I don't mean any offense to anybody, but in my experience the Xbox people I know aren't into gaming that much at all and are very casual. They buy Xbox because it's what they know; it's like Nintendo or Atari in the 1980s. Synonymous with gaming.

If those people had bought PS4s and taken a cue from me, that would have been great. But it was out of their comfort zone, so now I'm stuck with an Xbox One I only play when forced. Frankly, I hate the fucking thing, everything from the UI to the bad ports drive me insane. I do like the controller though, and the WiFi actually works (had to hardwire the PS4).

I don't know where to start with this post.

Perhaps the people you know that are buying xbox ones, are buying them for the games they like. And generalising about xbox owners being "casual" gamers is ridiculous.

Also, why the hell would you buy something that you fucking hate? It makes absolutely no sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom