• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2014: $399 Xbox Ones "Flying Off The Shelves" at GameStop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox Mulder

Interesting, since the $450 retailer sales didn't seem to do shit with a better value offered.

I didn't think $399 with nothing would do much right now.

I wonder if this console race is already pretty much settled. I mean, Wii U hopefully will do alright but it didn't catch lightning like the Wii that's obvious now. Xbox One will do a lot of things to challenge Sony but with the rest of world already settled the only place left is NA. Sony will do better in North America this time just by virtue of not having so many mistakes.

Maybe we're all just discussing stuff that doesn't matter in the end. I suppose if either company wins NA by big margins it's important since the market has so much sway.

It has been discussed to death but competition doesn't require equal sales. Microsoft is a big enough name that just being around is enough regardless of sales.

It is settled. In my opinion it'll be a repeat of the 6th gen.

PS1 = PS4 (95-105 million)
X1 = N64 (35-40 million)
Wii U = Saturn (15-25 million)

The numbers in paranthesis are my predictions, not the numbers for Ps1, n64, and saturn

The X1 number is dependent on remaining somewhat stable in NA, since it's dead outside NA/UK. I see it as doing 25 million NA, 5 million UK, 10 million elsewher (at most).

I think there is a weight of exclusives that people will find hard to ignore, Sunset Overdrive just looks an incredible amount of fun and with that amazing Halo collection on the way along with Forza, Fable, Crackdown and Gears etc, I think a lower price creates a tipping point for a lot of people.

Sunset Overdrive will have zero appeal to the mass market. Fable is dead, Crackdown again has no mass market appeal whatsoever. All they have is Halo 1-4 this year that can push sales.

Everything is relative. Xbox One flying off the shelves is relative to WiiU's regular sales. New Xbox One at 42nd place behind the white PS4 on 2nd. In relation to white PS4, Xbox One is rotting in corner.

Sunset Overdrive will have zero appeal to the mass market. Fable is dead, Crackdown again has no mass market appeal whatsoever. All they have is Halo 1-4 this year that can push sales.

As much as I think Sunset Overdrive looks beautiful (albeit the gameplay looking a little generic) I can't help but agree on it having zero mass market appeal.

As much as I think Sunset Overdrive looks beautiful (albeit the gameplay looking a little generic) I can't help but agree on it having zero mass market appeal.

I know one person who has an XBOne(to be fair I don't know too many people with a PS4 either), he doesn't care about Sunset Overdrive. He does like Forza Horizon 2 though.

Bundy

Banned
Microsoft has been making a lot of positive moves lately. Sony better get off their butts and avoid complacency.
Sony's path has been right since the Feb. PS4 reveal.
They have a clear plan/shedule since the start.. Their "good" news weren't 180's etc.
So they're "gettin' off their butts" since the start of the new console :)
You see -> competition = good

btw.
I'm sure both consoles got a sales boost (E3).
But it's more news-worthy for the Xbone.
Therefore the gamespot article.
I know one person qho has an XBOne, he doesn't care about Sunset Overdrive. He does like Forza Horizon though.
Different tastes.
I have a lot of friends which are only buying 3rd Party games like FIFA, Madden, MLB - The Show (1st Party), Racing Games, Beat'em Ups, etc.
They couldn't care less about all these "exclusives".

ryan299

X1 = N64 (35-40 million)

The numbers in paranthesis are my predictions, not the numbers for Ps1, n64, and saturn

If those end up being the final numbers, then the gaming business is really screwed. Thats a major shrinkage from last gen when most investors are saying the console market will increase past the 250 million or so sold between the wii, 360 and ps3.

It also depends on the life cycle. i think this life cycle will be shorter than the last bc technology is advancing too quickly for these consoles to stay relevant as long as they did in the last generation.

I agree with your wii u and PS4 numbers but I think the X1 will be in the 60-80 million range. Once again I think, that your numbers show that the market has shrunk considerably and I don't think it has. Sure a lot of people left and are perfectly fine with games on their phones, but I don't think that many people left the console market.

X1 = N64 (35-40 million)

The X1 number is dependent on remaining somewhat stable in NA, since it's dead outside NA/UK. I see it as doing 25 million NA, 5 million UK, 10 million elsewher (at most).

For PS4 to become PS1 it needs more Japanese buyers though.

PrawnyNZ

Sorry if it's been answered, having trouble keeping up this week.
Was this bundle the reason Gamestop employees were told they might have to open early/late or was it something else?

Different tastes.
I have a lot of friends which are only buying 3rd Party games like FIFA, Madden, MLB - The Show (1st Party), Racing Games, Beat'em Ups, etc.

I was just addressing the point of Sunset Overdrive's appeal. This guy is pretty 'mainstream' with a leaning towards the 'dudebro' kind of gamer.

If those end up being the final numbers, then the gaming business is really screwed. Thats a major shrinkage from last gen when most investors are saying the console market will increase past the 250 million or so sold between the wii, 360 and ps3.

are investors really expecting all those casual Wii owners to make the transition?

Chobel

I think that during at least 2 months the Xbox One will sell more than The PS4 worldwide.

Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif

I think almost the opposite: I think it looks fresh gameplay, but the graphics haven't impressed me yet (poor framerate)

i expect xbox one to take june.last npd was closer than expected despite the price difference.

The PS4 outsold the Xbone nearly 2:1 in April. How was that closer than expected?

I think there is a weight of exclusives that people will find hard to ignore, Sunset Overdrive just looks an incredible amount of fun and with that amazing Halo collection on the way along with Forza, Fable, Crackdown and Gears etc, I think a lower price creates a tipping point for a lot of people.

I think we can all agree that Sony's exclusive games for the PS3 over the past 4~ years absolutely crushed Microsoft's exclusive games for the 360. That sure as shit didn't help the PS4 overtake the 360 in the US. You might think exclusives are important, but they aren't very high on most people's lists.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I didn't know things were so grim that one day of good sales is news.

And the definition of good in this context is: no real numbers and only the "flying off shelves" quote from one retailer. Also missing from "good" is: no comparison to either previous sales data or the direct competitor.

I'm interested to see how good it can sell without the Kinect. I think that's a bigger draw than the $100 drop since that was mostly in effect already if you consider the packed in games and Gold.

tensuke

May NPD will not be kind to Xbone since they announced the price drop so early. June will be interesting to see though, will the price/E3 bump be enough to push it past PS4? Honestly, I think it could. After the E3 showing, not a bad time to own an Xbone imo! Titanfall couldn't, but I thought it was underwhelming compared to the massive "hype". But the price drop/lack of Kinect/cool E3 showing may be enough of a difference. Even if it doesn't beat PS4, it should still see a nice boost. Of course, not like PS4 won't see a boost thanks to its awesome E3 show, but Xbone does benefit from the price drop too.

Swass

Surprised they didn't announce that supposed white Xbox One Sunset Overdrive bundle like what ntkrnl leaked.

They probably want to, much like they wanted to release that special Titanfall edition, but they have far too many black ones sitting in retail channels. Maybe the white one will come later this year if sales start picking up.

goonergaz

So basically MS released a statement a couple of weeks ago saying "in a couple of weeks you can save yourself ~£80" and 2 weeks later when consoles are 'flying off the shelves' this is news!?

This has nothing to do with E3 game reveals...

Edit: I should read what i respond too.

You're right perception out there is that the Xbox One is somehow in Wii U power territory. Casuals seem to believe this.
That's crazy. All they need to do is look at the games... you can hardly tell unless you are looking for it and /or told about it or are hardcore and A/B switch them

You're right, Nintendo's games look amazing.

I just hope the difference does not get too huge.

Nobody wants a sole market-leader - competition is very important !

I hope you own a Vita and a WiiU, competition is important.

jem0208

What?

How are you determining "mass market appeal". I can see SO being marketed quite effectively. It's open world with zombie style things and its funny. That's a pretty good bunch of buzzwords there.

Also Crackdown definitely has the potential for mass market. It's open world multiplayer with what sounds like absolutely crazy levels of destruction. I can see them tapping directly into what makes GTA online fun which is just doing crazy shit with your friends.

jem0208

I think we can all agree that Sony's exclusive games for the PS3 over the past 4~ years absolutely crushed Microsoft's exclusive games for the 360. That sure as shit didn't help the PS4 overtake the 360 in the US. You might think exclusives are important, but they aren't very high on most people's lists.

No, we really can't. I completely disagree with this.

GAF

Banned
Sony's path has been right since the Feb. PS4 reveal.
They have a clear plan/shedule since the start.. Their "good" news weren't 180's etc.
So they're "gettin' off their butts" since the start of the new console :)
You see -> competition = good

btw.
I'm sure both consoles got a sales boost (E3).
But it's more news-worthy for the Xbone.
Therefore the gamespot article.

Different tastes.
Are you sure?

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/DRM-Xbox-One-PlayStation-4-Shuhei-Yoshida-Hiroshi-Kawano,23292.html

http://www.ibtimes.com/sony-files-patent-curb-access-used-video-games-1005876

http://ps4daily.com/2013/06/sony-changed-playstation-4-drm-policy-after-xbox-one-outrage

Miles X

You know it sounds really dumb when you talk about a game having mass appeal. Very few games have that, only the huge blockbusters.

These games don't need mass appeal, they just need gamer appeal to win over some of the dozens of million core core gamers on PS360, and Sunset, Fable, Crackdown have that in spades.

Some Nobody

I'll wait for the NPDs.

Anything else is asking to be quote fodder later, no matter how things shake out.

I know one person who has an XBOne(to be fair I don't know too many people with a PS4 either), he doesn't care about Sunset Overdrive. He does like Forza Horizon 2 though.

It's a shame if that's true, because I'd love to play Sunset Overdrive. Of course, in all fairness I think it's going to sell like crap because IIRC the release date is in like October? That's just asking for trouble.

Widge

No, we really can't. I completely disagree with this.

I can. I often saw people saying "FINALLY we will see what the Microsoft studios have been making this E3" in response to many years of IP iteration and little else. Each time nothing turned up but IP iteration.

It has been rather well disguised but the end of the generation highlighted how little Microsoft do in actual game development. There was the early generation where they secured third party games (most of which "only on 360" ones crossed the divide later), then the apparent "winning" of Playstation franchises which were actually third party, then there were the lauded indie games (again, crossing over) and finally there was the smokescreen of Kinect support when that launched. What Microsoft's strategy has been is to support a piece of hardware with some bought in development support and then sit back and wait for the third party guys to come fill the void, stepping up to secure firsts on DLC. That's great when you are the platform holder that is holding the edge in the performance divide.

Sony clawed their way back into the generation by constantly providing content and, in the final furlongs, by blindsiding with subscription gaming. Now they are in a position where they hold the edge on the multiplatform titles and that will lead to them bending the ear of the publishers. They go wherever the money is at the end of it all.

The key to Microsoft over the next few E3's is not to be demonstrating third party multiplats, not third party bought in games, but to show their studios are doing to do more than service those core sliver of IP's. The signs haven't been good with Bungie & Epic vacating for other teams to come in and ghostdev the IP's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom