• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA announces Subscription Service for Xbox One ($5/month or $30/year, get game vault)

JLck

If you're a member of the Xbox beta program then you should have a message on Xbox Live with your download code for the EA Access Hub app. Once downloaded, you can subscribe monthly or annually - if you're in the UK it's £19.99/a or £3.99/m.

I got invited to that at the start but I remember the first update meant you couldn't party chat with people not in.

Can I still get into the program?

I think for me EA is the only company with a big enough catalogue worthy enough to keep a yearly subscription. I tend to enjoy and buy a lot of EA games thoygh

If Ubisoft and Activision started doing this that would be fantastic... In 2-3 years from now if unisoft gives me access to there back catalogue like thus... I'd buy a couple month subscription for 10$ just so I can catch up on all the ubisoft games I didn't play already and then cancel it when I'm throygg. It's not like you have to subscribe to every service.

I think this sort of delivery method is absolutely a great thing for consumers. I'm absolutely shocked at some of the back lash.

p3tran

Banned
Interestingly, it wouldn't allow me to subscribe to the service (annually or monthly) using the credit I have on my US account - it would only let me use a "proper" payment method like a card or PayPal. I suppose it has something to do with auto-renewals but thought I'd give people a head's up all the same.

strange, I did the one year sub without the slightest problem. (us account etc)
edit: scrap that, i misread "credit" as cc :)

and right now, I'm downloading madden just for the hell of it. I believe last madden game I played was on commodore 64 :D

gkryhewy

strange, I did the one year sub without the slightest problem. (us account etc)
edit: scrap that, i misread "credit" as cc :)

and right now, I'm downloading madden just for the hell of it. I believe last madden game I played was on commodore 64 :D

Did it let you pay via Microsoft account funds? It made me pay by credit card.

LowerLevel

Did it let you pay via Microsoft account funds? It made me pay by credit card.

No, it was card on file for me. Wouldn't let me switch... My only real fear with this is if I have to pull my hair out and smash my own balls to cancel like I would with Live.

pieman

Neo Member
Pleasantly surprised to read that the annual cost is £20 as the normal $ to £ rate is virtually 1:1 for digital games.

I will subscribe to this later, as I only have peggle of the games available and had thought about trying BF4

I specifically said free with subscription. As in, no additional cost besides the subscription.
So you're not paying for the services provided, you're paying for the subscription. But the subscription on its own is worthless, so why would you pay for it? To get free services? So since that's the value, why wouldn't that be what you're paying for? Besides the cost, it doesn't cost anything?

You can't do that! Syntax error!

Blackage

I honestly am shocked at how accepting Gaf is about this, it's freakin EA. 95% of EA's policies are designed to squeeze money out of you, this comes off to me as a Trojan horse.

"Here's a nice subscription for free games(that nobody buys anymore)! Enjoy all that value! Also you get 10% off new digital games!(That we're probably already saving already since it's not retail), get that sub!"

At one point after EA gets enough subs, they're gonna turn around a screw us over, it'll become required, or it'll be the only way to get DLC, or games will come out a month in advance exclusively on it. We're all informed gamers on this board, you know how EA operates, and you know its not gonna end well or in our interests in the long run.

p3tran

Banned
guys, I edited my post, but let me write this again in order to not cause confusion:

I did the purchase with my credit card, not with ms point/whatever.
I just misread "doesnt let me do it using the credit I have on my US account"
as "credit card I have on my US account"

:)
so, sorry for the mix up

Shai-Tan

Banned
I'm not surprised to see Battlefield 4 on this because they overprice map packs to the point that buying premium is the same price as buying a full priced game and they make leveling slow to sell a bunch of f2p boosters and unlocks.

The same mentality is probably behind the other games e.g. FIFA sells loads of nonsense to make your team better i.e. more f2p nonsense. So while it might seem like good value they're just figuring most people won't play more than one or two games and it will be a gateway for the overpriced elements that come from f2p games.

eznark

Banned
I'm not surprised to see Battlefield 4 on this because they overprice map packs to the point that buying premium is the same price as buying a full priced game and they make leveling so slow to sell a bunch of f2p boosters and unlocks.

Is there much of a player base for BF4 on the Xbox right now? If not maybe vanilla will be playable once all the subs show up.

Calverz

I honestly am shocked at how accepting Gaf is about this, it's freakin EA. 95% of EA's policies are designed to squeeze money out of you, this comes off to me as a Trojan horse.

"Here's a nice subscription for free games(that nobody buys anymore)! Enjoy all that value! Also you get 10% off new digital games!(That we're probably already saving already since it's not retail), get that sub!"

At one point after EA gets enough subs, they're gonna turn around a screw us over, it'll become required, or it'll be the only way to get DLC, or games will come out a month in advance exclusively on it. We're all informed gamers on this board, you know how EA operates, and you know its not gonna end well or in our interests in the long run.

You are probably right. Like 99% correct.

But it is so compelling.....

This.

The 10% off digi games is hilarious because their digital games (in the UK) are often sat at the very top of the price scale at launch. Even with 10% off they'll still be available cheaper at retail.

Ubersnug

Is there much of a player hasr for BF4 on the Xbox right now? If not maybe vanilla will be playable once all the subs show up.

I play it almost nightly and I've never had an issue getting into any of the popular game types with a full server. Trying to get a game of Capture the Flag on Second ASsault maps, however, that's where you may run into trouble....

Afro

Quick question:

Friendly gaffer invited me to the preview program last night. How will I know when/if I'm accepted? Will I get a message or something?

If your little conspiracy turns out to be true then all of us "informed gamers" can simply cancel our subscriptions. Until then though, let is enjoy what seems to be a good value.

Obviously this is going to make EA more money. Good for them if it does. I only care if
It saves me money, and right now it looks like it might.

Alx

At one point after EA gets enough subs, they're gonna turn around a screw us over, it'll become required, or it'll be the only way to get DLC, or games will come out a month in advance exclusively on it.

Then that's the point where you cancel your subscription and go play games with another business model.
Supply and demand is the base of all business, EA isn't out there "to screw us over", but to make money. They're offering services for a price, if you consider it's worth it, then pay for it, if not then don't. It can't be more simple than that.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Is there much of a player hasr for BF4 on the Xbox right now? If not maybe vanilla will be playable once all the subs show up.

probably - some of the vanilla maps are actually good. but a lot of players will find it hard to resist to buy the extra maps if they get into the game

I can't believe people are complaining about $2.50 a month ($30/yr ÷ 12 months) to play some older games. PSNow is going to be even more expensive. The only thing I would like to see is a unified service if more publishers want in, though that would be highly unlikely. I bought the year and I am taking advantage of 3 of the games that I would have otherwise never bought or played. It's nice to have the access to them.

Alx

By the way after doing the "quests" in the dashboard preview app, I'm pleasantly surprised by how everything is streamlined into the console interface. Just go to the regular marketplace and it will automatically detect that you have the right to play the games in the vault. Nice.

LosDaddie

Banned
Hmmm....bring this service to ps4 and I'll probably pay for it. There is, and will be, enough EA games to make $30/yr worth it for me. I doubt I'd pay much more than that, though.

It'd be nice if these games extended to the EA Partners games, too. EA did a great job with the program last gen.

Totally ignoring that PS+ is basically the same service.

Yeah but it's Sony's service.

Amazing how when EA Season Ticket was launched a few years ago, representing far less value for money than the new service, there wasn't half the backlash on GAF as there is this time around. Even though EA Access being much much better value for money.

But this new service is only on XB1 for now. So...

EvB

As part of the EA Access Services, members with an active subscription are offered the ability to play a limited trial of certain EA Content 5 days prior to the date that EA Content is otherwise available on the Xbox Marketplace (“Play First”), discounts on EA Content offered through the Xbox Marketplace (“Discounts”); and access to a limited library of certain EA Content (“Vault Title(s)”) for unlimited online play (“Vault Access”) for the duration of their availability in the Vault. Limitations and exclusions may apply. For upcoming EA Content eligible for Play First and Discounts, and for current EA Content available in the Vault, and current details on other membership benefits, see http://www.ea.com/eaaccess. Certain EA Content may be excluded from Play First, the Vault, and/or Discounts; see http://www.ea.com/eaaccess for details on such exclusions as they become available.

Part of the T&Cs

I'm still not sure if these Vault titles are revolving and you will lose access to them as they swap them out for something else or whether they are simply putting get out clauses in place.

It would make more sense that they revolve the selection, for example removing the new madden and battlefield games before the launch of the newer game.

pieman

Neo Member
Quick question:

Friendly gaffer invited me to the preview program last night. How will I know when/if I'm accepted? Will I get a message or something?

You will get an xbox live message from xbox live, with a code (I think) to download an entry to the beta program, you will need to download that and run it. Then you should be accepted to the program a few days after that. (it won't be instant)

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Quick question:

The invitation was for Xbox Dashboard Preview program. Once you get into the dashboard preview program, you will automatically get a message for EA access. And yes both of these things will come in your Xbox One Message. When you click on the message it will direct you to the app itself.

Alx

I'd rather have them frequently change the games in the vault. Offer something different to let me play a bit of everything, and for games that I'd play for more than a month or two it makes more sense to buy them instead of renting them.

Afro

You will get an xbox live message from xbox live, with a code (I think) to download an entry to the beta program, you will need to download that and run it. Then you should be accepted to the program a few days after that. (it won't be instant)

The invitation was for Xbox Dashboard Preview program. Once you get into the dashboard preview program, you will automatically get a message for EA access. And yes both of these things will come in your Xbox One Message. When you click on the message it will direct you to the app itself.

Perfecto, thanks.

cablenut

Just bought £25 ms credit to get this to find out when i hit subscribe it asks me for a CC, no option to use ms credit. gutted.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
Does it say how long bf4 will be up for download? I just checked my messages and xbox.com and can see I have a code but am on vacation so cant get to my xb1. I would like to download bf4 and get rid of my disk.

EDIT: FYI you can input to the on xbox.com to download the ea hub, that's all however. I suppose it's too much to hope for some sort or smart glass integration?

From EA's point, this is pretty smart: 1.) It gives them monthly revenue which is great and 2.) Provides Incentives for digital sales which all the publishers want the market to head towards in the console space.

Basically after the heat MSFT took for an online console which I'm sure had massive publisher support behind the scenes, this is a more consumer friendly way to promote a transition.

And that is what smart business do; don't force the change but instead make it appealing for consumers to voluntarily switch over time.

Aside: If MSFT ever did spin off the xbox gaming console as a subsidiary (which I don't see happening right now), I wouldn't be surprised if it turned into a joint venture with EA. EA and MSFT relations seem to be excellent at this point in time.

Ade

Wait really, this is bad.

Its a sub. Same rules apply as gold and music. Prepaid cards for it from gamestop/game or credit cards only.

It shows up as a subscription on Commerce.Microsoft.com and such.

Can you buy Xbox Music Subs with MS$s? No
Can you buy Xbox Lives Subs with MS$s? No
Can you buy WP/Win8 Dev Subs with MS$s? No
Can you buy Outlook Ad-Free subs with MS$s? No
Can you buy SkyDrive Space Subs with MS$s? No

Bsigg12

Part of the T&Cs

I'm still not sure if these Vault titles are revolving and you will lose access to them as they swap them out for something else or whether they are simply putting get out clauses in place.

It would make more sense that they revolve the selection, for example removing the new madden and battlefield games before the launch of the newer game.

And multiple times they have said they have no plans to remove games from the vault. They have to have the legal notice in their terms, everybody does.

My opinion? They see it as a competitor to PS Now, and their insane prices (profit margins)

It's not really. The issue here is, compared to the entire system library of PS1, PS2, and PS3 games (I guess trimmed lightly of EA offerings now, tho I doubt they were going be big on offerings to begin with), EA's library, while impressive for a 3rd party publisher, just doesn't compete with the breadth and diversity an entire console's library offers, let alone three consoles.

The average person who isn't in sports games will easily get their money's worth out of PS Now much more than this EA program; it's like comparing Netflix or Hulu to the WWE Network. They both specialize in delivering content but one is a highly specialized form of content that's ultimately going to appeal to a smaller group of people. But EA's much better off than the WWE; just don't be surprised when PS Now is the more profitable of the two.

And this doesn't even consider that PS Now is also available on mobile devices, while this is XBO-only (for the time being). This likely will help MS more than EA atm.

derFeef

Its a sub. Same rules apply as gold and music. Prepaid cards for it from gamestop/game or credit cards only.

It shows up as a subscription on Commerce.Microsoft.com and such.

Can you buy Xbox Music Subs with MS$s? No
Can you buy Xbox Lives Subs with MS$s? No
Can you buy WP/Win8 Dev Subs with MS$s? No
Can you buy Outlook Ad-Free subs with MS$s? No
Can you buy SkyDrive Space Subs with MS$s? No

I should be able to buy 1 year sub, no excuses. Also I have subs running with paypal where there is no CC attached, Spotify for example. It simply runs out when there is no money left on that account.

Personally, the plan makes sense for me. I've been wanting to try out BF4, FIFA, and Madden 25 but have not wanted to pay full price for the games. I can't really see myself playing any of them for more than a month, so the $5 for one month of the service is a perfect testing ground for me to see if I enjoy the games for long enough to buy them.

So it is confirmed that you need an attached card or paypal to buy the membership for this? that sucks because I refuse to attack anything to my account after all the troubles I had in the early years of xbox live and only use pre-paid credit.

Ade

I should be able to buy 1 year sub, no excuses. Also I have subs running with paypal where there is no CC attached, Spotify for example. It simply runs out when there is no money left on that account.

If you can buy a gold sub/xbox music sub via paypal, you can buy an EA Access sub via paypal. Alternatively you can buy one year via credit card and disable auto renew. Just like all the other Xbox based subs.

Its set up exactly the same as all existing subscriptions are.

So it is confirmed that you need an attached card or paypal to buy the membership for this? that sucks because I refuse to attack anything to my account after all the troubles I had in the early years of xbox live and only use pre-paid credit.

When its actually out (as in not in closed beta) you can get prepaid cards for it from GAME/Gamestop.

Bsigg12

Or you can wait until it's not in beta and buy a prepaid card from Amazon or GameStop.

Great post. Bravo, man.

venne

It would be great if the EA Access subscription eventually worked with Origin, too.

I'd be much more interested in EA's PC Vault.

Top Bottom