• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA announces Subscription Service for Xbox One ($5/month or $30/year, get game vault)

This is shockingly aggressive pricing from EA. Makes me think there has to be some kind of catch.

But honestly just signing up for a few months when a new game you want to play comes out, and then buying that game outright later on when the price has dropped, seems like a viable strategy. As in: sign up for EA Access for November-January to play Dragon Age: Inquisition at a cost of $15, buy the game later when the price is down to $30, pay $45 total for the experience with no real drawbacks.

jem0208

Imru’ al-Qays;123333443 said:
This is shockingly aggressive pricing from EA. Makes me think there has to be some kind of catch.

But honestly just signing up for a few months when a new game you want to play comes out, and then buying that game outright later on when the price has dropped, seems like a viable strategy. As in: sign up for EA Access for November-January to play Dragon Age: Inquisition at a cost of $15, buy the game later when the price is down to $30, pay $45 total for the experience with no real drawbacks.

That's not how it works. You don't get access to their new games.

After careful consideration, I will admit was/am salty that this is X1 only...I... I want this.

Get an Xbox One. This and the exclusives are great reasons to have one.

I'm mostly a PS4 guy, but this will make me an Xbox One guy for EA games. The discounts and "free" games are too good to pass up. The differences in the future from EA likely won't be too different.

Metfanant

Then what's the point. If I can't wait and need those games right away. I'll go to Best Buy and by it for $40.

exactly what some people are trying to explain to the "this is the best thing since sliced bread" crowd i think...

yeah thats pretty much not how this works....the gamevault will include OLDER games...brand new games will be discounted 10% ($6 in the US)

Nobody knows when new games will be added to the "vault." You will get to play Dragon Age for a limited time up to 5 days before release, but when the game comes out, you won't be able to play it anymore unless you buy it, or wait until it enters the "vault." Which I assume will be several months, if not closer to a year. I guess whenever sales start to tank, boom, it enters the vault.

Metfanant

Nobody knows when new games will be added to the "vault." You will get to play Dragon Age for a limited time up to 5 days before release, but when the game comes out, you won't be able to play it anymore unless you buy it, or wait until it enters the "vault." Which I assume will be several months, if not closer to a year. I guess whenever sales start to tank, boom, it enters the vault.

id bet at least 6 months on sports titles...

id bet at least 6 months on sports titles...

I agree, I was guessing earlier in this thread that Sports titles will not be released into the vault until at least the REAL season for that game is over.

So you wont see Madden 15 until, at the very least, a few weeks after the Super Bowl. They would want to capitalize on people who would impulse buy the games out of hype for the real sports season. And if they did release after the Super Bowl, that would put it at about 6 months after the game released, exactly where you are predicting. I agree!

I forget that game exists, lol. You're probably right. Then NFS after that?

They could throw in both at the same time and we are both correct. I would assume that since NBA Live is coming this Fall, they would want to get the older game in there since nobody is going to buy it. I also assume NFS has much longer legs than NBA Live, since the game doesn't become "outdated" when a new season starts, and it is simply a much better game.

NFS being placed in the vault would be a great value, the game is awesome. I enjoyed it.

exactly what some people are trying to explain to the "this is the best thing since sliced bread" crowd i think...

I mean, so far the free games that are there are fine, but if new games aren't going to be in the vault for 6-12 months, then what are you really paying for? The early access and the 10% off.

If having early access to trial (assuming that the game is fully unlocked and you get to pretty much play the whole thing) , then yes, that's amazing value. But if it really is just a demo in which you can keep the progress and the achievements and your reward is just 10% off, then I don't see the overwhelming value in this. For just waiting, I already have it for $40 at best buy and received $5 off for any new upcoming game coming out that isn't exclusive to EA.

However I don't want to downplay its model to people who find it works for them. If it suits there taste better, than why not. My issue is that if you don't really agree with this "value" proposal, then something is wrong with you and there isn't. It's a good idea for EA fans.

EdgeXL

yeah thats pretty much not how this works....the gamevault will include OLDER games...brand new games will be discounted 10% ($6 in the US)

That wasn't the point being made.

Let's say DA:I is in early access. You play it for the two hours and save your progress. Then when the game drops to an attractive price (whether physical or digital) then the player can buy it then and keep their save progress. Not a bad deal at all.

Metfanant

I agree, I was guessing earlier in this thread that Sports titles will not be released into the vault until at least the REAL season for that game is over.

So you wont see Madden 15 until, at the very least, a few weeks after the Super Bowl. They would want to capitalize on people who would impulse buy the games out of hype for the real sports season. And if they did release after the Super Bowl, that would put it at about 6 months after the game released, exactly where you are predicting. I agree!

and thats why for me (of the EA games i buy almost all of them are EA Sports titles) this is becoming less and less appealing the more i think about it..i buy the new FIFA on release date for a reason...

You could play them 5 days early and then go buy it from Best Buy for $40 with the game already installed on your Xbox so all you have to do is pop the disk in.

thats ASSUMING the game data between digital version and disc version is the same...my guess is its not...

That wasn't the point being made.

Let's say DA:I is in early access. You play it for the two hours and save your progress. Then when the game drops to an attractive price (whether physical or digital) then the player can buy it then and keep their save progress. Not a bad deal at all.

has it been said whether or not everything in the early access is available? i thought they were more demos of the game? or at least limited versions...and it seems like a pricey endeavor ($30 per year) to then be waiting out the cost drops on retail games...

in essence youre willing to spend $30 per year to get access so you can try out EA's games before you buy them later at discounted prices...

You could play them 5 days early and then go buy it from Best Buy for $40 with the game already installed on your Xbox so all you have to do is pop the disk in.

So basically I'm paying $5 for a demo (that's assuming those 5 days does not grants me access to the entire game from start to finish). I could just save the $5 and use it at BB. If it's a sport game, there likely nothing there I need to try early. Maybe for BF especially what happened at launch, but not for Madden.

Yopis

and thats why for me (of the EA games i buy almost all of them are EA Sports titles) this is becoming less and less appealing the more i think about it..

Well if your buying the game anyway you get early access and a slight discount. You get a little for paying little. If you don't buy those games why get service? Reminds me of that early access stuff they had before. Don't think this is for me but for others why not.

RulkezX

I assume the discount is off the digital price ? So still even with the discount they would be near £8 more expensive than retail.

I'll still probably get it even if only to play old US centric sports games I'd never have bought otherwise.

Gxgear

The only way this would be attractive for me is if all new sports releases goes into the vault, but that's never going to happen.

Bsigg12

thats ASSUMING the game data between digital version and disc version is the same...my guess is its not...

From the FAQ

What will the pre-release trials include? Will my progress carry over?

Each game is different, so each game’s trial will be, too. In some titles you’ll be able to play one of the game's modes for a limited time, while other times you can jump right into the full game. And since you’ll always be playing the real game, any progress you make will carry over so you can pick up where you left off on launch day.

Emphasis mine. It's just making a game save from the full version of the game.

Metfanant

Well if your buying the game anyway you get early access and a slight discount. You get a little for paying little. If you don't buy those games why get service? Reminds me of that early access stuff they had before. Don't think this is for me but for others why not.

yes, i could save $6 up front...i generally bought FIFA and NCAA Football (but with NCAA Football gone, ill move to a yearly Madden purchase)....i buy the 2k NBA game, and i rarely buy a Hockey game...

that saves me $12 on Madden/FIFA upfront for a $30 yearly fee...but then im stuck with digital copies of old sports titles that i cant trade in once ive grown tired of them before the new title comes out...which usually nets me $10-$15 each depending on how long i stay interested in the game...

With EA
$30 fee + $54 FIFA + $54 Madden = $138

The way i do it now
$0 fee + $60 FIFA + $60 Madden - $10 FIFA trade in - $10 Madden Trade in = $100

it doesnt make economic sense...and $10 is pretty low, if you time it right you can generally get more than that for Madden or FIFA...Amazon is still offering almost $12 for last years madden on PS4...

They are the same.

From the FAQ

Emphasis mine. It's just making a game save from the full version of the game.

i was responding to someone who said that the game would "already be installed" on your HDD...i assumed they were talking about not having to install off the disc...i would still assume that would be different data in some shape or form...i understand saved games work...

Head.spawn

They need to add Garden Warfare. I get the feeling that they didn't add it mainly because it would be a snub to the people that just bought it, since it just launched on PS4.

ShowDog

So you pay $5/month to play the base versions of a few of their old games. And you get 10% off DLC. Once you've succumbed to the temptation to buy DLC for a game (Battlefield 4 lets say), you're less likely to cancel the subscription and lose access to the DLC you now "own" because you still don't "own" the base game.

This just looks like a way for EA to move to more DLC-based, free-to-play type experiences (let's face it, that's where the real revenue is even with this business model) without actually having to give the game away for free. Even if the fee was $1 a month, the fact that you're paying every month makes you more likely to use it and buy more DLC/lives/whatever. Smart all around, but there is nothing for me to like here.

Bsigg12

I was responding to someone who said that the game would "already be installed" on your HDD...i assumed they were talking about not having to install off the disc...i would still assume that would be different data in some shape or form...i understand saved games work...

It was me you were responding to. Why would there be any difference? All they're doing is adding a gate to the full games and the disc based version is the same thing that would act as a key to what's installed on the HDD. I mean we'll be able to test it in a few weeks with Madden 15 but I don't see it being an issue.

Metfanant

It was me you were responding to. Why would there be any difference? All they're doing is adding a gate to the full games and the disc based version is the same thing that would act as a key to what's installed on the HDD. I mean we'll be able to test it in a few weeks with Madden 15 but I don't see it being an issue.

i see that now...easy way to test...anyone ever stick a disc version of a game in their Xbone when they already own the digital version and try to play off the disc?

i see that now...easy way to test...anyone ever stick a disc version of a game in their Xbone when they already own the digital version and try to play off the disc?

The only use of a game disc after it's installed on Xbox One is as an old school form of DRM to make sure you own the game. The game itself doesn't "play off the disc", since it's 100% on the hard drive. This is likely a legacy of the plans from last year, where the disc wouldn't be needed at all after install.

If you wanted to, you could install the game from a disc, take out the disc, buy the game on Xbox Live, and then play the game without having to redownload the entire thing. The only thing you would be buying on Xbox Live is essentially the license to say you now own it.

Granted, I haven't personally did this, but other people have mentioned it before, including Albert Penello

p3tran

Banned

about this, I can already say that your guess is not correct.
i did the yearly subscription earlier, and tested this with battlefield 4, which i have had since day 1 in disk form.

I just pressed the icon and game booted, without any kind of download or even a single check for disk (as it would do before, anytime i pressed the button and disk was not in drive)

aaaand a question: anybody knows if the EA program discount stacks on top of this week's XBL discount for BF4 dlc? (I guess no, but hey, you never know, maybe the dudes who fix the prices got sick or something:) )

Bsigg12

You don't "play off the disc" with the Xbox One. It literally is used as a storage device to install the game to the HDD and a key to be able to play the game. The game runs entirely off the HDD. There is nothing different from the data of the install of the digital and physical versions other than where the product license is kept.

RoKKeR

I think I might just hop on right now. I'm headed back to university to school soon and FIFA and Madden are pretty much the best local multiplayer games out right now, so picking those two alone up for $30 makes it worth it to me right now, let alone the other benefits. The discount isn't huge but it may sway me to get something like Inquisition digitally.

The long term success of this thing depends on how often they update the vault with recent EA titles. And do you "own" the vault titles after you download them?

Metfanant

You don't "play off the disc" with the Xbox One. It literally is used as a storage device to install the game to the HDD and a key to be able to play the game. The game runs entirely off the HDD. There is nothing different from the data of the install of the digital and physical versions other than where the product license is kept.

no shit, it works the same way on the PS4...my point was to test if the console initiated an install from the disc or not

EBreda

I think I might just hop on right now. I'm headed back to university to school soon and FIFA and Madden are pretty much the best local multiplayer games out right now, so picking those two alone up for $30 makes it worth it to me right now, let alone the other benefits. The discount isn't huge but it may sway me to get something like Inquisition digitally.

The long term success of this thing depends on how often they update the vault with recent EA titles. And do you "own" the vault titles after you download them?

Sure, you "own" it as long as you're a subscriber :p

Edit: anyway, I see it as a great value. Speaking as someone who always buys Fifa and Madden the day it comes out, that's 12 usd off the yearly subscription. So I'll basically pay 18 dollars a year to play old EA games (the ones other than Fifa and Madden, say Battlefield, Dragon Age, PvZ, N4S) and to receive discounts on all future EA games and dlc.

I don't care if my NHL or N4S is a year old or not. I'll play them for 18 dollars a year, eventually. I'm down.

$30/year? Do I get access to those games for the full year? If so, I'll sign up.

And I guess I need to buy a Xbone.
KuGsj.gif

I bought the one year. The app shows a tool to cancel anytime.
Also it let me download normal versions of games immediately.

I basically got madden FIFA and BF for $30 in my eyes.

My brother did the $5 option. Works same way. It will just revoke DRM once month is up. But it's team game so saves and install is there if you get game again digitally or physically.

Great program if they get good content.

mephixto

Banned
Wouldn't be surprised if other publishers try to this. PS+ would be limited only to small publishers, indie titles and Sony exclusives.

They want just a big cut with this, like they did with Origin on PC.

Johnohno

no shit, it works the same way on the PS4...my point was to test if the console initiated an install from the disc or not

You're trying to find problems when there isn't one. Digital and Disc is the same code.

I had the Fifa 14 disc and installed it to my console. Sold the Fifa 14 disc and got EA Access. I now have access to Fifa 14 without the need for a re-install. It simply updates the store listing from Buy / Install to Play.

Disc = Digital

That was the original Xbox plan after all....

Unless I missed it, this isn't just for sports games is it? Not that I mind, but just wondering if we'd ever see ME or Mirrors Edge or something

Mikey Jr.

Really dont understand the point of this service at this point in time.

If it really is Xbone only, no 360, then what are you paying $30 for?

I looked at all the current gen games that have come out so far.

-Titanfall
-PVZ
-BF4
-Peggle
-Need for speed
-Madden
-NBA
-Fifa
-UFC
(sorry if I forgot any more)

If you aren't into sports games, you essentially have 5 games. According to wiki, lets take out sports games (never seemed super popular here, but if thats your thing, then add that in), for rest of 2014 you have Dragon Age. Thats it.

Chances of dragon age being available to play are zero.

So what are you paying for? Pretty much $5 a month to play those 5 games for months. Probably until February? When DA is old enough that they can put it on the service?

So I really don't understand the point of this. Feels kinda reactionary from EA to me. Like something pissed them off, so they are shoehorning this undercooked service.

Maybe they want to kill PS+? Not surprised Xbox was all over this. I guarantee you, MS reluctantly introduced GWG. That is just more revenue out of their pocket, but they were forced when Playstation finally became a threat.
So having a service they don't have to maintain and they can say "Look at this awesome service! Only on Xbox One!" looks good for them. And it seems like it will remain exclusive for a long time.

And on paper, it does seem like a great service. But a 2016 service. Not a 2014 service.

Top Bottom