• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA announces Subscription Service for Xbox One ($5/month or $30/year, get game vault)

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
That's what I'm trying to see if it would work atm.

I probably will test it out for madden 15 or something....

Just because my US account is separate from my UK account I think I'm going to have a lot of issues getting the actual subscription to work.

Just praying my boarderlinx address works, then I will be fine.

It does work, already been tested.

Yep. Switching between the US and AU store gives me the discount in both regions.

Skele7on

Banned
Also guys.....

ku-xlarge.gif

Tall Paul

I once got a message from MS with a code but I wasn't able to redeem it. Do I have to change my region on the Xbox?
Hi. If it failed to redeem it may have a space at the front of the code if you have copied and pasted. Try to redeem online or you should get a second message from xbox , mine popped up on smartglass.

Xone9

Banned
just a heads up, you can pretty much get $15 for a trade-in of BF4, so yea, after trade-in this EA access is only $15 a year...

not bad

Bgamer90

Banned
My what if is somewhat supported by EAs shenanigans(anti consumer DRM, microtransactions laden BS, incetivized piecemeal content delivery) these past few years. Yours is based only on happy thoughts and hopes that it will be what you want it to be. There's a reason EA has a shitty rep and it's well deserved. You'll have to excuse me if I don't believe they've magically woken up and decided to focus in consumer value prospects as opposed to maximizing short term profits.

Haha, seriously? So something that makes sense and gives spotlight to the more recent versions of EA's games is simply based on hopes and what I want it to be because it's different from your take?

I mean, it could be anything but I like to look at various possibilities instead of just spreading FUD.

Flintty

unless required by law, all EA Content (such as in-game entitlements, add-on content, and downloadable content) purchased in connection with the EA Access Services (including, without limitation, purchases made during Vault Titles) are non-refundable and non-transferable. If your subscription to EA Access is cancelled or otherwise terminated, you will not have further access EA Content until and unless you purchase the EA Content or Vault Title separately.

I'm pretty sure there is a consumer law which states that you can't sell someone something and then ask them to keep paying to use/play it unless clearly advertised (like mmo games).

I don't think you'd lose any purchased games if you quit your sub.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I subbed. Nice to get the games I have on disc converted into digital versions. We were getting the early access to games with the EA Sport titles so it's cool thats still in and being branched out to other EA brands.

RexNovis

Banned
Haha, seriously? So something that makes sense and gives spotlight to the more recent versions of EA's games is simply based on hopes and what I want it to be because it's different from your take?

I mean, it could be anything but I like to look at various possibilities instead of just spreading FUD.

You're basically proposing a best case scenario and ignoring their immediate past. This is not going to play out they way people are thinking it will. It's a well conceived charade to get more money in EAs hands via digital purchases (both full games and microtransactions). How can you look at the crap they've pulled and not be skeptical of this?

It's not FUD to hold a company suspect for their actions in their immediate history it's common sense. Until they prove otherwise you'd be a fool to assume this is going to offer the sort of value people are attributing to it. A healthy dose of suspicion is called for when it comes to anything involving EA.

YeSp

Neo Member
Not really because presumably you'll still be able to play the games you've downloaded.

It may be that you can keep your initial game purchase (wording isnt clear on that) but any dlc or other content purchased through Ea Access wont be available to you anymore which basicly amounts to the same thing as not being able to play the orginal game.

Im betting you will get some minor discounts and early access to dlc and other content so as to incentivise using the service.

I really get the feeling this is just another way for MS and EA to implement their original DRM plans. I hope they prove me wrong though.

Bgamer90

Banned
You're basically proposing a best case scenario and ignoring their immediate past.

No, I'm not proposing a best case scenario. I just stated a possibility that makes sense -- and what's to say that it would be the best case scenario? There were a decent number of cases in past years of newer versions of EA sports games being worse than their predecessor(s).

This is not going to play out they way people are thinking it will. It's a well conceived charade to get more money in EAs hands via digital purchases (both full games and microtransactions). How can you look at the crap they've pulled and not be skeptical of this?

Because I prefer to wait and see how things play out instead of jumping to conclusions?

And of course it's a way to get more people tied into digital purchasing of EA content. The whole purpose of a service is to make people want to buy what you offer. How is that commonsensical point a sign that people need to watch out? What services aren't created for the purpose of making money?

Skele7on

Banned
See I'm actually okay with this now I have looked into it.

You'll get to keep discounted games

only lose access to vault games if sub lapses/they change games offered

The early access is quite cool....

Not having to buy battlefield at launch and actually by the time it gets to the vault it'll be a fully working and great version of the game....

Just hoping to see more games added soon really.

Great timing of beta/launch, As it's Madden and Fifa season really soon so the discount will be nice and also playing it early.

Only thing I need to test is if you can then play games on multiple consoles at same time, if so this is really great as me and my buddy have the Home console stuff setup...

Dabanton

Nice. All the games I added to my queue DL'ed overnight. I now have Madden,Peggle and BF4 not a bad haul.

I take it BF4 is now a lot better than it was a few months ago?

RexNovis

Banned
EA has 128 games on the Xbox 360!

Imagine if that was part of the deal... "Includes all 128 games on your 360" for $30 a year!

http://www.ea.com/xbox-360

Yea that's not happening man. Lest I remind you this is the same company that has mandated microtransactions in all their new games and has aggressively removed content from games in order to sell piecemeal after the fact for more money. They are not just going to hand you access to their back catalogue.

That would require a lot of effort on EA's part and nothing about this promotion screams "Effort".

Thank God I'm not the only one who sees this as an easy money grab.

Skele7on

Banned
Nice. All the games I added to my queue DL'ed overnight. I now have Madden,Peggle and BF4 not a bad haul.

I take it BF4 is now a lot better than it was a few months ago?

yeah is a lot better, It's finished at least and haven't had half the issues I used to.

The one thing I really wish they'd change is the game finding system. the server viewer is just messy

Given how historically bad EA prices are for digital content in Europe I await those numbers with dreaded curiosity. Assuming they bother to bring it to Europe.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/07/30/sony-ea-access-doesn_2700_t-represent-good-value-to-the-playstation-gamer.aspx

Not sure this has been posted but that seems to be Sony's statement regarding EA access on Playstation.

“We evaluated the EA Access subscription offering and decided that it does not bring the kind of value PlayStation customers have come to expect,” a Sony representative told us via email. “PlayStation Plus memberships are up more than 200% since the launch of PlayStation 4, which shows that gamers are looking for memberships that offer a multitude of services, across various devices, for one low price. We don’t think asking our fans to pay an additional $5 a month for this EA-specific program represents good value to the PlayStation gamer

Skele7on

Banned
Wait you HAVE to have a card attached to your account to sub, no dice ms not with FIFA hacking still going on.

Login to your orgin account and enable two step verification it then texts your phone a code to buy anything therefore killing off the hackers....

Unless you buy a prepaid card from a store yes (GAME/Gamestop).

Perils of the beta, the cards aren't out yet.

Personally I will be using this option as the cards will probably be fairly cheap online.
To test I will just add a card and pay the $5 for the month....

Dabanton

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/07/30/sony-ea-access-doesn_2700_t-represent-good-value-to-the-playstation-gamer.aspx

Not sure this has been posted but that seems to be Sony's statement regarding EA access on Playstation.

Seems Sony wasn't invited to the 'party.' surely it's up to Sony gamers to decide if they wanted to sub?

When you read stuff like this in the email from MS announcing the service

Today we're writing to let you know about EA Access announced today by EA. EA Access is a subscription product created by the teams at Microsoft and EA, and it's exclusive to Xbox One!

Makes you wonder whats going on behind the scenes? As this would have been in the planning for a while. I think Sony is trying to save face here as there is no reason why they shouldn't at least offer the option.

Mxrz

Having a sub within a sub is how most people will see it. I'd pass too. All this blind faith in EA (and MS for that matter) is pretty entertaining.

I reckon Sony didn't want to start a precedent, it starts with EA,then Activision, then ubisoft jeez we could end up paying £100 a month in subs, no thanks.

Ade

I reckon Sony didn't want to start a precedent, it starts with EA,then Activision, then ubisoft jeez we could end up paying £100 a month in subs, no thanks.

No ones forcing you to have a sub, if you want it, you get it, if you don't you don't.

As it stands right now, its almost impossible to argue against the value. Despite what Sony are saying.

Who would be forcing you to buy those subscriptions? Have we reached the point where people are arguing against options and choice?

Niven

Well that's a bit extreme seeing as if they all were a similar price it would be 15 a month...which is not that bad for a selection of EA, Activision, and Ubsoft games if they did follow suit

Top Bottom