• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA announces Subscription Service for Xbox One ($5/month or $30/year, get game vault)

TheKeyPit

Banned
I made the deal with $5/month. Now I'm going to play Battlefield, FIFA, Madden and Peggle in august. After that I'm going to cancel my subscription. Sounds like a good deal.

Well if you want to play battlefield 4 and FIFA for a while without actually buying each game at £30 each, that's worth it.

If you wanted to try one of the games out for a month, £4 or whatever it is, like renting.

It's all going to depend on how useful you find it, if it's not worth a year for you then just ignore it.

T.O.P

Banned
Enjoying BF4 a lot lol

I'll give the mp a go later, for 4 € i already felt like it paid off

Hope they'll get NFS up in the next months

sangreal

No it's not? They release third party games on there right now, you only need to take a glance at the August lineup to see that.

I'm not sure if you did not read the post I was replying to, my post, or you haven't looked at the August lineup yourself. Which of the two August games is not in the category of indie, small publisher, or Sony: Fez, Road Not Taken? There has been exactly one PS4 PS+ game that does not fit those categories: Strider, a download-only title (there have been zero retail titles) published by Capcom

Yudoken

Sounds like a good idea but only if MS polish and make it better like PS+.
Currently I'm not interested but I probably would subscribe if they are doing it for pc.

hoyalawya

If you aren't into sports games, you essentially have 5 games. According to wiki, lets take out sports games (never seemed super popular here, but if thats your thing, then add that in), for rest of 2014 you have Dragon Age. Thats it.

I paid for it primarily for the trail/demo. I intend to try out games that I never played before like Mirrors Edge, Star Wars Battlefront, Dragon Age, NHL, Madden, and NCAA Football. Also, I will use the subscription to try out Battlefield Hardline. There are so many games that I paid $60 for and only played about 20 minutes. I don't trade in games (in fact, I hardly set foot in any physical retail store anymore except for groceries). I figure that the trial/demo will pretty much pay for itself by saving myself for EA games I don't like.

rob305

Really dont understand the point of this service at this point in time.

If it really is Xbone only, no 360, then what are you paying $30 for?

I looked at all the current gen games that have come out so far.

-Titanfall
-PVZ
-BF4
-Peggle
-Need for speed
-Madden
-NBA
-Fifa
-UFC
(sorry if I forgot any more)

If you aren't into sports games, you essentially have 5 games. According to wiki, lets take out sports games (never seemed super popular here, but if thats your thing, then add that in), for rest of 2014 you have Dragon Age. Thats it.

Chances of dragon age being available to play are zero.

So what are you paying for? Pretty much $5 a month to play those 5 games for months. Probably until February? When DA is old enough that they can put it on the service?

So I really don't understand the point of this. Feels kinda reactionary from EA to me. Like something pissed them off, so they are shoehorning this undercooked service.

Maybe they want to kill PS+? Not surprised Xbox was all over this. I guarantee you, MS reluctantly introduced GWG. That is just more revenue out of their pocket, but they were forced when Playstation finally became a threat.
So having a service they don't have to maintain and they can say "Look at this awesome service! Only on Xbox One!" looks good for them. And it seems like it will remain exclusive for a long time.

And on paper, it does seem like a great service. But a 2016 service. Not a 2014 service.

$2.5 a month. Going to have to change my lifestyle in order to afford this madness

Mikey Jr.

I paid for it primarily for the trail/demo. I intend to try out games that I never played before like Mirrors Edge, Star Wars Battlefront, Dragon Age, NHL, Madden, and NCAA Football. Also, I will use the subscription to try out Battlefield Hardline. There are so many games that I paid $60 for and only played about 20 minutes. I don't trade in games (in fact, I hardly set foot in any physical retail store anymore except for groceries). I figure that the trial/demo will pretty much pay for itself by saving myself for EA games I don't like.

Yeah, like I said. Its a great 2016 service.

But I don't think EA has the games to support this service right now.

Unless they get other devs/pubs on board?

$2.5 a month. Going to have to change my lifestyle in order to afford this madness

You can say that about anything.........

I legitimately think this is a great deal if you have any interest in sports games.

If you have interest in sports games why would you want to play them 9 months later when the next version is coming out in a couple weeks?

The 5 day sneak peak is okay and the 10% discount is only good if you buy all the sports games and then some. Keep in mind this is coming from someone whose gonna buy a year of this service today. It's just not that mindblowing.

Somnia

This is a great upsell item when parents are Christmas shopping this holiday. Having ran GameStops in the past most parents will get Live already with the system, so then you show them this EA card and tell them for $30 they can get 4 full games for a year and more added over time, parents will eat that up.

Mikey Jr.

So? Its still an awesome deal no matter how you spin it. If you dont like the games then just ignore it

I'm not spinning anything. Those are just the facts.

Out of the gate it looks like a great deal. I'm not arguing that. But I'm not sure how worthwhile the service will be in a few months. I don't think EA has a robust current gen catalogue to support this service at such an early stage.

Boxster17

I'm not sure if you did not read the post I was replying to, my post, or you haven't looked at the August lineup yourself. Which of the two August games is not in the category of indie, small publisher, or Sony: Fez, Road Not Taken? There has been exactly one PS4 PS+ game that does not fit those categories: Strider, a download-only title (there have been zero retail titles) published by Capcom

EA with Crysis 3 (not Atlus with Dragon's Crown. Now obviously if everyone tries to follow suit you'll see less but they're currently still around.

EDIT: Forgot that Dragon's was Sony only. For some reason I thought it was on X360 but I must have been thinking of the Vita version. I didn't realize anyone specified the specific platform, merely this type of service?

Skele7on

Banned
Anyone with the subscription want to tell me how it works.

As I am a using a US account on a UK console do the apps and discounts apply directly to the store or only on the app?

Cheers

Metfanant

You're trying to find problems when there isn't one. Digital and Disc is the same code.

I had the Fifa 14 disc and installed it to my console. Sold the Fifa 14 disc and got EA Access. I now have access to Fifa 14 without the need for a re-install. It simply updates the store listing from Buy / Install to Play.

Disc = Digital

That was the original Xbox plan after all....

i was ASKING...not trying to find a problem

Mihalis0013

Neo Member
I will definitely hop in a month or two to get the 10% discount of games that I would already be buying anyways. (NHL, FIFA, Dragon Age, The Division, Mass Effect, etc.)

Just an FYI, The Division is Ubisoft, not EA.

I'm right there with you on getting all the games you mentioned including The Division ;)

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I redeemed the code and I don't know where to look at the access stuff.

Anyone able to help me?

Did you redeemed on Xbox Website? go to apps/game and go all the way to right on your Xbox One. (Not too sure though) but that's where games bought from online store would appear.

LowerLevel

I'd laugh if EA pulled remasters out of their ass soon that also wind up in this service... Just wish they'd clarify some of the lingo from the ToS. Having BF digital now is great, but if they pull it without warning, I'd be kinda upset seeing as I want to trade in the disk.

This is absolutely phenomenal value for somebody like me. As soon as this becomes available to the public, I'm signing up. I'm not a huge sports gamer anymore but this will have me back on track. Can't wait to see what older games EA puts on this service.

Also, if this leads to some perks for Xbox versions of future EA games, I'm on board. Early access to the games is good but I'm sure this is a sign of a growing relationship between EA and Microsoft.

Metfanant

This is absolutely phenomenal value for somebody like me. As soon as this becomes available to the public, I'm signing up. I'm not a huge sports gamer anymore but this will have me back on track. Can't wait to see what older games EA puts on this service.

Also, if this leads to some perks for Xbox versions of future EA games, I'm on board. Early access to the games is good but I'm sure this is a sign of a growing relationship between EA and Microsoft.

Serious...honest to god question...what makes this particularly valuable for a sports gamer?..because from my perspective as someone that plays a lot of sports games...it holds next to no value...

RoKKeR

So quick question for those who have signed up, lets say I sign up for the service already owning Battlefield 4 on disc. Do I have to re-download the game? Does my DLC/Premium transfer over? Do I have to have the disc to play after downloading?

Thanks in advance.

Also, what is the deal on "ownership" of Vault titles. If I download FIFA 14 from the vault and next year they cycle it out for FIFA 15 will I still be able to play FIFA 14?

the_champ

Banned
Really dont understand the point of this service at this point in time.

If it really is Xbone only, no 360, then what are you paying $30 for?

I looked at all the current gen games that have come out so far.

-Titanfall
-PVZ
-BF4
-Peggle
-Need for speed
-Madden
-NBA
-Fifa
-UFC
(sorry if I forgot any more)

*Titanfall is explicitly excluded.

Anyway, I buy FIFA every year, as well as 2 o 3 additional games from EA (This year: Peggle 2,Need For Speed and Titanfall). Plus I was really interested on BF4 and PvZ.
So, in my case i would pay to EA this year:

60 + taxes (Fifa)
10 + taxes (Peggle 2)
50 + taxes (BF4)
50 + taxes (NFS)
60 + taxes (Titanfall)
40 + taxes (PvZ)
----------------------
270 + taxes

Now, lets guess EA Access would be available since X1 launch, i would spend:

0 (Fifa)
0 (Peggle 2)
0 (BF4)
45 + taxes (NFS)
54 + taxes (Titanfall)
36 + taxes (PvZ)

30 + taxes (EA Access year subscription)
----------------------
165 + taxes

So, 270 - 165 => I would save 105 dollars.

In what way this service is not convenient for someone like me?

Serious...honest to god question...what makes this particularly valuable for a sports gamer?..because from my perspective as someone that plays a lot of sports games...it holds next to no value...

For me, I got to trade my copy of Fifa 14 for £23~ and I still get to play the game, so essentially I'm actually £3 up right now(!)

When Fifa 15 and Dragon Age come out for the 5 days early access bit I will get to play them early (even if just a little bit) plus I can give NHL 15 a try when its out.

Into next year, EA have BF Hardline, and I'm sure other titles too... and I can still play BF4 during that time if I feel like it

Seems to be worth it from here. If you're into more sports than just Fifa it'll provide some decent value as well

So quick question for those who have signed up, lets say I sign up for the service already owning Battlefield 4 on disc. Do I have to re-download the game? Does my DLC/Premium transfer over? Do I have to have the disc to play after downloading?

Thanks in advance.

Also, what is the deal on "ownership" of Vault titles. If I download FIFA 14 from the vault and next year they cycle it out for FIFA 15 will I still be able to play FIFA 14?

I just took out my disc for Fifa and it works and I've not put it back in. No need for the disc that I'm seeing so far. I would assume theres no issues with DLC etc either considering its on sale this week

Metfanant

Anyway, I buy FIFA every year, as well as 2 o 3 additional games from EA (This year: Peggle 2,Need For Speed and Titanfall). Plus I was really interested on BF4 and PvZ.

60 + taxes (Fifa)
10 + taxes (Peggle 2)
50 + taxes (BF4)
50 + taxes (NFS)
60 + taxes (Titanfall)
40 + taxes (PvZ)
----------------------
270 + taxes

0 (Fifa)
0 (Peggle 2)
0 (BF4)
45 + taxes (NFS)
54 + taxes (Titanfall)
36 + taxes (PvZ)

----------------------
165 + taxes

Except games like FIFA and BF wont be free at their release...so to save that money you will have to wait for them to hit the vault...

For me, I got to trade my copy of Fifa 14 for £23~ and I still get to play the game, so essentially I'm actually £3 up right now(!)

When Fifa 15 and Dragon Age come out for the 5 days early access bit I will get to play them early (even if just a little bit) plus I can give NHL 15 a try when its out.

Into next year, EA have BF Hardline, and I'm sure other titles too... and I can still play BF4 during that time if I feel like it

Seems to be worth it from here. If you're into more sports than just Fifa it'll provide some decent value as well

I just took out my disc for Fifa and it works and I've not put it back in. No need for the disc that I'm seeing so far. I would assume theres no issues with DLC etc either considering its on sale this week

Well...

First, its a little deceiving to use being able to trade your copy of FIFA 14 in this year...because that saving won't carry over to next year...

Yes, you can play them 5 days early...but if you want to continue playing them you're gonna have to purchase for a 10% discount ($6) here...or wait it out till the games are irrelevant and they hit the vault...

And if you buy them you're stuck with old copies of yearly titles that you can't trade in before the new version comes out...

RoKKeR

Nice, I might just trade the disc in if I sign up.

60 + taxes (Fifa)
10 + taxes (Peggle 2)
50 + taxes (BF4)
50 + taxes (NFS)
60 + taxes (Titanfall)
40 + taxes (PvZ)
----------------------
270 + taxes

0 (Fifa)
0 (Peggle 2)
0 (BF4)
45 + taxes (NFS)
54 + taxes (Titanfall)
36 + taxes (PvZ)

----------------------
165 + taxes

The math makes perfect sense. You would save money. However, you say you buy FIFA every year, but do you wait 9 months after it is released to buy it? FIFA isn't going to be thrown in the vault the day it releases.

The games in the vault are basically all launch games that released 9 months ago. I see in your math, you say you pay $60 for FIFA, well, that looks like you buy FIFA at launch if you are paying $60 for it.

We dont know how long games have to be out before they go into the Vault, but notice that EA's titles that have released AFTER launch, such as Plants Versus Zombies and UFC are not in the vault. So this Service is only going to save you about $6 if you buy FIFA at launch (with the 10% Discount). Or you wait a while, which appears to be longer than 6 months (PVZ Garden Warfare released 5 months ago), and play it when it enters the vault. Same logic I shared could be extended to Battlefield 4. The game came out 9 months ago, it has been on sale for much less than the $50 for the disc version on Xbox One.

Well...

First, its a little deceiving to use being able to trade your copy of FIFA 14 in this year...because that saving won't carry over to next year...

Yes, you can play them 5 days early...but if you want to continue playing them you're gonna have to purchase for a 10% discount ($6) here...or wait it out till the games are irrelevant and they hit the vault...

And if you buy them you're stuck with old copies of yearly titles that you can't trade in before the new version comes out...

Im buying Fifa 15 on a disc as well which will be sold when (if) its goes on the service if that helps ;)

You can use the service as a demo for if you want to buy the games which will still provide you a decent amount of playtime and similar to how EA did the Season Ticket, in fact pretty much exactly the same but not just for their sports titles. You can decide if you want to buy the games either via disc or retail (which might be cheaper) this way too.

If you're going to buy the sports titles, this just lets you have them a bit earlier which people like to do and you can still get achievements etc. It probably varies based on how many of the sports titles you play and how often you play them. I play Fifa 3/4 times a week online with a friend so it makes sense, especially as he has this too so we can both just move over to Fifa 15 when it hits early. If you want stuff like BF4 and further down the line PvZ Garden Warfare, Need For Speed Rivals possibly + the next set of sports titles too, there will be a decent amount of stuff to go around.

Its not going to appeal to everyone but I still think its a great price. Also, I will get the DLC for Peggle 2 and possibly Dragon Age, so theres a small saving to be had there possibly too.

Im buying Fifa 15 on a disc as well which will be sold when (if) its goes on the service if that helps ;)

You can use the service as a demo for if you want to buy the games which will still provide you a decent amount of playtime and similar to how EA did the Season Ticket, in fact pretty much exactly the same but not just for their sports titles. You can decide if you want to buy the games either via disc or retail (which might be cheaper) this way too.

If you're going to buy the sports titles, this just lets you have them a bit earlier which people like to do and you can still get achievements etc. It probably varies based on how many of the sports titles you play and how often you play them. I play Fifa 3/4 times a week online with a friend so it makes sense, especially as he has this too so we can both just move over to Fifa 15 when it hits early. If you want stuff like BF4 and further down the line PvZ Garden Warfare, Need For Speed Rivals possibly + the next set of sports titles too, there will be a decent amount of stuff to go around.

Its not going to appeal to everyone but I still think its a great price. Also, I will get the DLC for Peggle 2 and possibly Dragon Age, so theres a small saving to be had there possibly too.

I guess the big question right now is how long are people going to be willing to wait when an EA Game comes out. Will they buy EA Games at launch, or wait for approx 9 months to play it in the vault. It would be safe to assume that the game will go in the vault at some point. I wonder if this could hurt EA Sales of some Xbox One titles, not necessarily Sports Titles, but say the next Battlefield, where people could say "I will simply wait till any online issues are ironed out, some DLC is released, and I can play the game in the vault!"

statham

Madden is way more fun then I expected. I thought I would end up playing BF4 most of today, but ended up playing madden.

I redeemed my code and downloaded the app.

I was unaware I couldn't use MS money. Bought a code specifically for this. Kinda bummed.

Do I want to pay even more for a Beta...?

I guess the big question right now is how long are people going to be willing to wait when an EA Game comes out. Will they buy EA Games at launch, or wait for approx 9 months to play it in the vault. It would be safe to assume that the game will go in the vault at some point. I wonder if this could hurt EA Sales of some Xbox One titles, not necessarily Sports Titles, but say the next Battlefield, where people could say "I will simply wait till any online issues are ironed out, some DLC is released, and I can play the game in the vault!"

Thats a very good point, but then its up to EA to entice people to buy it day one and I guess they're hoping that by people playing it a little early and deciding they can't wait 9 months and they get the 10% discount will mean that they decide to dip in.

For some it will work for others it won't.

I like my discs so I can sell them therefore the the 10% on brand news games is pretty worthless to me but others want to go digital it will be a nice discount plus it works on DLC too

It's bullshit man. We don't know when they will start selling the codes in stores either.

Pretty sure its in August around the time its out for full release and not just Dashboard preview participants.

Metfanant

actually, circumventing the intended system like that is the only way i can even work out the numbers in which id save money using EA Access...i always bought FIFA and NCAA every year...NCAA is dead so ill buy Madden yearly now...ill even throw in NHL just to round out my sports gaming for this example...

Scenario 1
w/EA Access purchasing games at launch
$30 yearly EA fee
$54 Madden 15
$54 FIFA 15
$54 NHL

$192 total

Scenario 2
w/o EA Access purchasing games at launch
$0 yearly EA fee
$60 Madden 15
$60 FIFA 15
$60 NHL

$180 total

now in the second scenerio i can trade in my games not long before the new versions come out and usually get >$10 in trade for them (especially if Gamestop is running an extra 50% trade value like the are right now)....so even at a conservative $10 per game...that would put me at

$150 total after trade in...

the ONLY way the EA access could "pay off" for me...is if i had EA Access...and ALSO bought physical copies of the games at launch...then...take the risk that WHEN the games hit the vault...i can trade in the physical copies for SIGNIFICANTLY (like double) more than i would have gotten in Scenario 2...

Tangerinediesel

Neo Member
This obviously works for some and not others. I buy NHL and Madden games each year and keep them until I buy the new version so I get no trade value. There are ea games I'm on the fence about like fifa and bf. Ufc would be a plus if it comes out as well. I'll try it for a year and see how it works. I am concerned about collector's editions being digital though. I want the madden version with all the mut packs and I know how these companies seem to hate giving us options for digital.

Metfanant

This obviously works for some and not others. I buy NHL and Madden games each year and keep them until I buy the new version so I get no trade value. There are ea games I'm on the fence about like fifa and bf. Ufc would be a plus if it comes out as well. I'll try it for a year and see how it works. I am concerned about collector's editions being digital though. I want the madden version with all the mut packs and I know how these companies seem to hate giving us options for digital.

even without trade in value...you have to buy 5 EA games (at launch of course getting the 10% discount) before the program actually saves you money...

now i guess i can see where you might find value in being able to play older EA games that you wouldnt have normally bought once they hit the vault...

but anyone excited about this from the angle of saving money is not doing their math correctly...

statham

actually, circumventing the intended system like that is the only way i can even work out the numbers in which id save money using EA Access...i always bought FIFA and NCAA every year...NCAA is dead so ill buy Madden yearly now...ill even throw in NHL just to round out my sports gaming for this example...

Scenario 1
w/EA Access purchasing games at launch
$30 yearly EA fee
$54 Madden 15
$54 FIFA 15
$54 NHL

$192 total

Scenario 2
w/o EA Access purchasing games at launch
$0 yearly EA fee
$60 Madden 15
$60 FIFA 15
$60 NHL

$180 total

now in the second scenerio i can trade in my games not long before the new versions come out and usually get >$10 in trade for them (especially if Gamestop is running an extra 50% trade value like the are right now)....so even at a conservative $10 per game...that would put me at

$150 total after trade in...

the ONLY way the EA access could "pay off" for me...is if i had EA Access...and ALSO bought physical copies of the games at launch...then...take the risk that WHEN the games hit the vault...i can trade in the physical copies for SIGNIFICANTLY (like double) more than i would have gotten in Scenario 2...
much reaching to serve a point. I already subscribed for a year and think I already got my value worth, but that depends on the player.

Top Bottom