• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA announces Subscription Service for Xbox One ($5/month or $30/year, get game vault)

the_champ

Banned
The math makes perfect sense. You would save money. However, you say you buy FIFA every year, but do you wait 9 months after it is released to buy it? FIFA isn't going to be thrown in the vault the day it releases.

The games in the vault are basically all launch games that released 9 months ago. I see in your math, you say you pay $60 for FIFA, well, that looks like you buy FIFA at launch if you are paying $60 for it.

We dont know how long games have to be out before they go into the Vault, but notice that EA's titles that have released AFTER launch, such as Plants Versus Zombies and UFC are not in the vault. So this Service is only going to save you about $6 if you buy FIFA at launch (with the 10% Discount). Or you wait a while, which appears to be longer than 6 months (PVZ Garden Warfare released 5 months ago), and play it when it enters the vault. Same logic I shared could be extended to Battlefield 4. The game came out 9 months ago, it has been on sale for much less than the $50 for the disc version on Xbox One.

In fact, you are right with FIFA, so fixing my numbers that would produce a 105 - 54 = 51 dollars in saving. In my case discs are not an option since where i live a physical copy costs above 100 dollars.

As with any other on demand platform (such as Netflix or Amazon Prime), content is what defines the value of the service. If we get lot of content, value of service will increase.
To be a demo/preview service, its outstanding.

well, its true t

*Titanfall is explicitly excluded.

Anyway, I buy FIFA every year, as well as 2 o 3 additional games from EA (This year: Peggle 2,Need For Speed and Titanfall). Plus I was really interested on BF4 and PvZ.
So, in my case i would pay to EA this year:

60 + taxes (Fifa)
10 + taxes (Peggle 2)
50 + taxes (BF4)
50 + taxes (NFS)
60 + taxes (Titanfall)
40 + taxes (PvZ)
----------------------
270 + taxes

Now, lets guess EA Access would be available since X1 launch, i would spend:

0 (Fifa)
0 (Peggle 2)
0 (BF4)
45 + taxes (NFS)
54 + taxes (Titanfall)
36 + taxes (PvZ)

30 + taxes (EA Access year subscription)
----------------------
165 + taxes

So, 270 - 165 => I would save 105 dollars.

In what way this service is not convenient for someone like me?

Remove taxes for the online purchases and that deal gets better.

Serious...honest to god question...what makes this particularly valuable for a sports gamer?..because from my perspective as someone that plays a lot of sports games...it holds next to no value...

I haven't bought FIFA or Madden this year. I've also been waiting to play BF4. I have none of these games at present.

So for 30 bucks for the next 12 months I get to play three games I have wanted to play for the whole year. That's pretty damn good savings.

RoKKeR

Alright, think I'm going to pull the trigger. As a casual sports fan who really only plays sports games in local co-op this is a no brainer for me... $30 a year to get two (maybe more w/NHL and NBA) of last years games digitally? For somebody who doesn't care about incremental improvements and roster updates that's a pretty solid deal.

The other bits I'm not so sure on... the discount is nice (would have applied to my Titanfall purchase earlier this year) and I do like the demo aspect. It could end up pushing me over the edge on games I'm iffy about. (Dragon Age, for example)

We can argue back and forth about the long-term value, but ponying up $30 to have access to the vault for a year is fantastic value. It's up to EA to keep my interest up long enough to renew for the fairly small price next year.

rokkerkory

*Titanfall is explicitly excluded.

Anyway, I buy FIFA every year, as well as 2 o 3 additional games from EA (This year: Peggle 2,Need For Speed and Titanfall). Plus I was really interested on BF4 and PvZ.
So, in my case i would pay to EA this year:

60 + taxes (Fifa)
10 + taxes (Peggle 2)
50 + taxes (BF4)
50 + taxes (NFS)
60 + taxes (Titanfall)
40 + taxes (PvZ)
----------------------
270 + taxes

Now, lets guess EA Access would be available since X1 launch, i would spend:

0 (Fifa)
0 (Peggle 2)
0 (BF4)
45 + taxes (NFS)
54 + taxes (Titanfall)
36 + taxes (PvZ)

30 + taxes (EA Access year subscription)
----------------------
165 + taxes

So, 270 - 165 => I would save 105 dollars.

In what way this service is not convenient for someone like me?

Man the sony response thread is even bigger than this thread.

Yeah, this will come down to how many EA games you currently buy. For those that buy lots of EA games, this is a deal.

statham

Once you wrap your head around how to control the ball, it's a ton of fun. I probably won't ever be big on the Ultimate Team stuff but it might be fun yo play around in.

This is my first time playing FIFA ever, and I don't know the rules, but I tried for a goal 30 yards out, for the announcers to laugh at me for trying that shot. I haven't given up tho.

Navy Bean

This is my first time playing FIFA ever, and I don't know the rules, but I tried for a goal 30 yards out, for the announcers to laugh at me for trying that shot. I haven't given up tho.
Once you get competent, the Fifa online games are a ton of fun. Players are really good but just like soccer in real life upsets can happen.

jrDev

I posted this in the other thread, but I'll also post here:

Maybe this is the unprecedented partnership that Nintendo turned down from EA, haha...

As long as you're interested in 2 of the games this is great value at 29.99. If they can offer up at least two more games before the year lapses, I'll keep the sub.

That's the way I see it... 30 bucks for two games + some perks. No brainier.

Metfanant

I haven't bought FIFA or Madden this year. I've also been waiting to play BF4. I have none of these games at present.

So for 30 bucks for the next 12 months I get to play three games I have wanted to play for the whole year. That's pretty damn good savings.

So you're willing to play FIFA 14 and Madden 25 (last year's versions) for the NEXT 12 months...when the new versions come out in a month of two respectively?...

i was directing the question more towards those that buy new sports titles as they release...

As long as you're interested in 2 of the games this is great value at 29.99. If they can offer up at least two more games before the year lapses, I'll keep the sub.

That's the way I see it... 30 bucks for two games + some perks. No brainier.

IF those games are in the vault...that $30 doesnt cover new games...

RoKKeR

Signed up for a year, FIFA 14 and Madden will get plenty of playtime over the next year with my roommates at college to justify the $30 price tag, not to mention the other games EA decides to add.

Who knows if I'll renew next year but for now it's a pretty good deal. Just fired up BF4 from the Vault main page without having my disc in, which is fantastic. Can trade that in or sell it for credit now. Edit: Although I guess the worry with that is whether or not EA will remove old Vault titles... have they said anything on that?

statham

So you're willing to play FIFA 14 and Madden 25 (last year's versions) for the NEXT 12 months...when the new versions come out in a month of two respectively?...

i was directing the question more towards those that buy new sports titles as they release...

IF those games are in the vault...that $30 doesnt cover new games...
Yes I am. Stop being a debbie downer. The value is there.

the_champ

Banned
Just two questions...

1) Is there any information of next vault games?
2) Suppose I pay one month of EA Access, then i stop service for a couple of months, and then return. Then suppose some of the original games are no longer available (something similar to finished GwG offers). Am i able to recover my full catalog, or just the games available at the current time?

Just two questions...

2) Suppose I pay one month of EA Access, then i stop service for a couple of months, and then return. Then suppose some of the original games are no longer available (something similar to finished GwG offers). Am i able to recover my full catalog, or just the games available at the current time?

We have heard no other info on either of those.

RoKKeR

Just two questions...

To answer the second question, you only have access to current vault games when subscribed. What we don't know is often they will be updating it.

Bsigg12

Just two questions...

As of right now they only have NFS Rivals, PvZ Garden Warfare, UFC and NBA Live they could add to the Vault next. It'll be a year or so before the Vault becomes something more substantial if you aren't interested in the sports titles.

eso76

Would sub for a month and play through bf4 campaign for 5$
Still curious about that game, but not 40$ curious

Just two questions...

2 is a maybe. There terms of service leave it up to them.

Hubble

Does anyone know if the 10% off applies to all EA digital purchases including the occasional sales e.g., weekly or seasonal sales?

Alx

Hm, I tried to trigger the download of FIFA and Madden from the web store, but it only offers me to buy the games (with the 10% discount, though). Does Smartglass let you remote download a game from the vault ? (can't try right now, I forgot my phone at home :p )

This mostly applies to me too.

I got FIFA bundled and had BF4 but traded it in a while ago for a good price.

I usually buy last season's Madden to mess around with. I don't play online and my friends dont have it so I don't mind. I may also have bought Peggle when it was on offer. For £20 I get both and get to "re-buy" BF4 which I will play for a few hours here and there over a year.

That works for me. I am not sure if it works for the sports set who buy every EA game new but I am looking forward to getting 9 month old EA games in the vault.

In summary, I see this as being of greatest benefit to the casual gaming audience or those, like me, with family commitments which mean you are always playing catch up.

It took me 18 months to pick up ME3. I can wait a year for Dragon Age Inquisition if that ever goes to the Vault. Don't hate me.

Ferny

I sold my copy of Battlefield 4 for $28 and bought this. So basically paid for my years sub and I still got a digital copy of BF4 with it. Pretty great to be able to play FIFA as well, was thinking of picking up 15 and this is going to allow me some practice time.

Hubble

The savings will be dependent on what other games EA provide. Getting older sports games has little value to those who play sports games regularly. The major draw to playing a Madden "15" or FIFA "15" is the routine updates keeping the rosters, trades, stats of improved players, and the notice of breakout teams up to date while you are watching and enjoying the season. People who buy Madden every year will not be buying Vault as a replacement.

However, at a $2.49 price point per month, it's at a compelling price point especially if EA provides other games as they seem to hint. I guess it's also a good way to raise the profile of Battlefield, and get more people playing it.

Alx

Woah, I tried playing FIFA yesterday, it was the first time since Fifa99. Those games got really complex, all I need is a "shoot" and a "pass" button !
I can see how you could reproduce a complete football gameplay with those controls, but it's not easy for a beginner to get into it.

Also, I'm always annoyed by that gameplay rule in team sport games that decides for you who you're controlling on the pitch. Most of the time I have to guess where the game will "teleport" me, and at each transition you start by sending your character in the wrong direction because you're still focused on the previous one.
The career mode somewhat avoids that problem by letting you control a single player on field. But then the issue I'm having with that mode is that it won't even let me play. Coach : "Sorry buddy, you weren't selected in the team". Come on game, I'm playing to pretend I'm a football superstar, you don't have to remind me that I actually suck !

Metfanant

Woah, I tried playing FIFA yesterday, it was the first time since Fifa99. Those games got really complex, all I need is a "shoot" and a "pass" button !
I can see how you could reproduce a complete football gameplay with those controls, but it's not easy for a beginner to get into it.

Also, I'm always annoyed by that gameplay rule in team sport games that decides for you who you're controlling on the pitch. Most of the time I have to guess where the game will "teleport" me, and at each transition you start by sending your character in the wrong direction because you're still focused on the previous one.
The career mode somewhat avoids that problem by letting you control a single player on field. But then the issue I'm having with that mode is that it won't even let me play. Coach : "Sorry buddy, you weren't selected in the team". Come on game, I'm playing to pretend I'm a football superstar, you don't have to remind me that I actually suck !

go into the control options...you can turn that off

wotta

This is a bad idea. If this is a success then Activision, Ubisoft and the others will follow with their own channel. Suddenly the games given for free on Games with Gold will be limited or so old you won't care. Meanwhile you'll have to fork out close to $50 a month if you want them all.

I don't want this. I'll stick to Games with Gold and PlayStation Plus thanks.

Alx

This is a bad idea. If this is a success then Activision, Ubisoft and the others will follow with their own channel. Suddenly the games given for free on Games with Gold will be limited or so old you won't care. Meanwhile you'll have to fork out close to $50 a month if you want them all.

But by paying $50 a month, you would have access to a huge library from all major publishers, instead of 2 games max per month with PSN+ or GwG. Besides, competition between those services would lead to publishers pushing some of their best games, while the manufacturer offer sometims contains "fillers".

Digi30

Neo Member

The thing is only about 3 publishers push enough games out yearly to justify a subscription plan. I would gladly pay 15 a month for EA, Ubisoft, Activision and XBL.

derFeef

The price, or less than the price of one game and I have a huge game catalogue available to me to try out and maybe play some of them long-term - well that's good, not bad. (in theory of course, if that happens)

You can change controls so you only have a shoot and pass button if you want.
Also you can switch which player you want to control when on defence with LB in default controls.

Alx

Thanks. I'll obviously have to look deeper into the settings, but as it was they were so daunting that I only memorized what the face buttons did and started from there, until I get familiar with them (seriously, with the buttons combinations there must be at least 3 ways to pull an opponent's shirt !).
Having the game throw you into a match without any explaining the first time you run it may be a good idea to gauge the player level, but it doesn't really help when he's a complete newcomer.

Top Bottom