• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ed officially revealed for Street Fighter V

Edzi

Jesus he doesn't even look like Ed at all. First Kolin/Helen, now Ed -- why does Capcom keep completely remodeling these characters and making them look nothing like they did from Story mode?

Looks terrible.

Probably because the story mode models were terribly low quality and now they actually look good?

BadWolf

why's that exactly

Probably because if you are going for accessibility and a player picks the character because of said accessibility then he or she gets screwed when they get to the super move.

If they picked Ed because they can't do QCF moves then how does having a QCF QCF+P move help them?

Village

He looks like Abel. As he should.

He really doesn't actually. The only think comparable to able is the his build and when his costume is off, he actually looks skinner.

Abel is in the story mode by the way, he doesn't really look like able.

Which also makes sense, because there have been replacement bodies for bison before, that don't look alike. Like cammy.

I can't make it work with how I play with a dualshock. No idea how I'm supposed to press square and triangle together, or x and circle.

VariantX

That music is insufferable. Where's all the cool acid jazz from 3rd Strike etc? Sigh.

Any way, his design is pretty creatively bankrupt but he looks fun/satisfying to use at least.

Very likely not his theme. SFV character reveal trailers rarely use the characters actual theme.

I can't make it work with how I play with a dualshock. No idea how I'm supposed to press square and triangle together, or x and circle.

If you have fat fingers like me then just put your thumb in the space between them and press both at the same time.

Or you can map the buttons to the shoulders.

Alchemist

Jesus he doesn't even look like Ed at all. First Kolin/Helen, now Ed -- why does Capcom keep completely remodeling these characters and making them look nothing like they did from Story mode?

Looks terrible.

Why don't you read the blog post before shitposting

wamberz1

I struggled with that a bit too at first, but after a bit you get used to it. Might be tougher with smaller thumbs tho

Giolon

Probably because the story mode models were terribly low quality and now they actually look good?

You can refine a model and improve its looks without making it look like a completely different person. Capcom has chosen not to do that twice and it bums me out. The before/afters don't even look like the same people.

If you have fat fingers like me then just put your thumb in the space between them and press both at the same time.

Or you can map the buttons to the shoulders.

This.

The spacing between the buttons isn't that big to where people cannot press both at the same time. It's not going to feel as easy as throws but you will get used to it pretty quick I'd assume.

Wallach

Probably because if you are going for accessibility and a player picks the character because of said accessibility then he or she gets screwed when he gets to the super move.

If they picked Ed because they can't do QCF moves then how does having a QCF QCF+P move help them?

why do you think they did this specifically for people who can't do QCF...? those people can play charge characters, I doubt this is their main concern

Akuma's CA is far from a QCF input, do you think beginners can do that shit? it's harder to actually use than a QCF x2 for most people

again, you don't get to have a CA that is both a reversal (i.e. is invincible on startup) and requires only a couple inputs - you're on some monkey's paw shit because a "simplified input" CA isn't going to be invincible on startup so you can't just on-reaction destroy someone regardless of what button they've pressed

BadWolf

why do you think they did this specifically for people who can't do QCF...? those people can play charge characters, I doubt this is their main concern

Akuma's CA is far from a QCF input, do you think beginners can do that shit? it's harder to actually use than a QCF x2 for most people

again, you don't get to have a CA that is both a reversal (i.e. is invincible on startup) and requires only a couple inputs - you're on some monkey's paw shit because a "simplified input" CA isn't going to be invincible on startup so you can't just on-reaction destroy someone regardless of what button they've pressed

It's a different style of control from both circle and charge.

A combination of buttons being pressed in a certain order would have made more sense.

that's the joke, but you wouldn't have known if you hadn't seen the other thread in which someone made that joke with a different image.

Lol it wasn't even a joke

1) Street Fighter 3 Third Strike
Best Fighting Game Ever. The Parry system, super arts, the still unbeatable ultra smooth animation...everything in this game is absolute perfection.

sheng_air_red_fireball.jpg

This is how you know that Balrog raised Ed:

7ZFPs7k.png

Code:
[IMG]https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSdb3877OvRnCGpmAlQTu1l5JL8IunBwM7qiWnZIDz8Ttb4ivrV[/IMG]
[IMG]https://sneakerbardetroit.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/jordan-westbrook-0-red-release-date.jpg[/IMG]

Guy is the only canon SF character in Nikes tho

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

If your thumb is thicker than a 3-year-old's it shouldn't be that hard.

You could consider a Hori Fighting Commander 4 pad. The buttons are larger and closer together, plus it has 4 shoulder buttons (not triggers) that you can use in addition to the 6 face buttons.

Baleoce

If your thumb is thicker than a 3-year-old's it shouldn't be that hard.

You could consider a Hori Fighting Commander 4 pad. The buttons are larger and closer together, plus it has 4 shoulder buttons (not triggers) that you can use in addition to the 6 face buttons.

Although, on the PC version at least, there's some fiddleyness regarding how you can map those four. In L1/L2-R1/R2 config it leaves you custom mapping the left side, but duping the right with the end face buttons, and L3/R3-L1/L2 leaves you custom mapping the right but not being able to map anything unique to the left because the game reserves it for the training tools.

Ferrio

Banned
I'm glad Capcom is experimenting with inputs. I'm not a fan personally, but I'm interesting to see how it meshes with traditional characters. Also for all the people who claimed inputs were holding them back, here's your time. Prove it.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Although, on the PC version at least, there's some fiddleyness regarding how you can map those four. In L1/L2-R1/R2 config it leaves you custom mapping the left side, but duping the right with the end face buttons, and L3/R3-L1/L2 leaves you custom mapping the right but not being able to map anything unique to the left because the game reserves it for the training tools.

You're right, that's a good point. Even though it's the same number of buttons (8) in the end, it makes hitting two adjacent face buttons easier, and with no annoying triggers it's really easy to hit a shoulder and face button simultaneously.

Ryce

Between Kolin's counters and Ed's simplified inputs, this really feels like a year of experimentation. I seriously think the next character (Abigail) is just going to use four buttons.
Ono: Even though we don't change the 6-button layout, we had plans to maybe bring out a character that was focused on using 4 buttons. With the characters we'll be adding in the future, we're paying much attention to requests such as this.

Famitsu: I see. So, we might see that in the 2017 season... ?

Ono: Haha. The 3rd of December just keeps getting more and more exciting, haha.

Edzi

You can refine a model and improve its looks without making it look like a completely different person. Capcom has chosen not to do that twice and it bums me out. The before/afters don't even look like the same people.

Like vulva said, read the blog post. Or play the games story. Ed has a reason for aging so dramatically.

Kolin also looked like trash in the story.

Baleoce

You're right, that's a good point. Even though it's the same number of buttons (8) in the end, it makes hitting two adjacent face buttons easier, and with no annoying triggers it's really easy to hit a shoulder and face button simultaneously.

Yeah in general, it is a superb controller. Best pad I've used for a fighting game.

aly

I actually like his look. Also I do wonder if Balrog and Ed care for each other at all or if its just some simple partnership. If they do, the Bison body snatch could be inetresting.

Edzi

I actually like his look. Also I do wonder if Balrog and Ed care for each other at all or if its just some simple partnership. If they do, the Bison body snatch could be inetresting.

Considering he shares his fighting style and some of his poses with Balrog, I think they're probably close.

It's 2017 and Balrog is getting character development.

is Hours Left okay?
We haven't heard from him in a while, he might have passed out.
I am reborn.

Echoing what I said elsewhere, Ed looks incredible! All three outfits are amazing (that battle outfit!), his playstyle is dope, and he's sexy as hell! This is a homerun. Necalli may have to watch his back now for his position as top SFV newcomer hunk.

I was super patient last year and waited for the season pass to go on sale before buying it, but Ed might push we to cop it early...

I am reborn.

Echoing what I said elsewhere, Ed looks incredible! All three outfits are amazing (that battle outfit!), his playstyle is dope, and he's sexy as hell! This is a homerun. Necalli may have to watch his back now for his position as top SFV newcomer hunk.

I was super patient last year and waited for the season pass to go on sale before buying it, but Ed might push we to cop it early...

Just know that buying the Season Pass won't refund any FM you've spent on the DLC characters.

Top Bottom