• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ed officially revealed for Street Fighter V

Neoxon

Ed actually looks fun (& a bit Rock Howard-esque). Didn't expect the unique inputs, though.

Also, was the Ed-Balrog dialogue unique banter in-game or are they lines from Ed's Character Story?

JeTmAn81

Notice how he doesn't have any QCF moves other than his Critical Art which is a double QCF? Incoming pay $8.95 to make the CA a single QCF.

vg260

From Capcom:
At a young age, Ed was kidnapped and experimented on by S.I.N., a division of Shadaloo, in order to become a replacement body for M. Bison. Many of you might remember a young Ed appearing in Rose’s Street Fighter IV story and Balrog’s story in Super Street Fighter IV. Due to the experiments, Ed’s body ages faster than normal humans until they are old enough to be suited for battle. Since Balrog raised Ed, his fighting is centered on boxing but since he carries M. Bison’s genes, his fighting style is enhanced by Psycho Power.

So if they're really following these threads through is Rose never coming back :( ?

joe2187

Banned
Notice how he doesn't have any QCF moves other than his Critical Art which is a double QCF? Incoming pay $8.95 to make the CA a single QCF.

It's almost that it's intentional and that they designed his character around that....

gotta be a conspiracy to....

like literally what the fuck am I even reading.

Ryce

I wonder if the emblem on Ed's belt buckle stands for "New Shadaloo."

FIxBO9N.png

Gren

With how easy his specials are, I'm not expecting them to be all that good (balance and all). Maybe his normals will be excellent in order to compensate.

Too bad they couldn't have had the scrawny model go with his story costume to appease those wanting that body type. But I guess that may have fucked with hit/hurt boxes?

Giolon

Like vulva said, read the blog post. Or play the games story. Ed has a reason for aging so dramatically.

Kolin also looked like trash in the story.

I read the blog post before I ever posted. That's just a papered over story reason explaining why they clearly wanted the character to have a dramatically different appearance.

That doesn't have anything to do with disliking the change between character introduction -> playable introduction. Capcom's done it twice now, and it's something I don't like. That's all there is to it.

Ryce

I had a theory that F.A.N.G may try to resurrect Shadaloo after Bison's death, I just didn't expect it until SFVI (set post-SFIII).
I get the impression that a resurrected Shadaloo would be quietly building its ranks during the events of SFIII, positioning itself as a new threat for SFVI.

mbpm1

oh I think she wants Bison to remain dead, in fact I think all three of them do

FANG will get told to fuck off and he'll be the one that goes off on his own to resurrect his husbando

Nah, FANG will be the final boss of Story Mode Season 2.

Numb

Fang is that type of character some designer wanted in for 20yrs but got refused every time but now they had to put him in to shut that guy

We already got Gen for purple chinese man

RM8

Okay I like Ed now. I'm glad the hoodie is back, but I think I've grown to like his default costume, and I bet it'll look even nicer in some of the alternate colours. I never play boxers in fighters, but I'll give him a try.

Ferrio

Banned
Speaking of the story, why is Barlog even sticking around Shadaloo? I never considered the guy evil, just greedy.

Derpot

Why do so many people hate poor FANG lol
I like his design a lot, but it's too bad he's a charge character, I can't play this kind of fighter at all D:

Man he looks bad ass I like how unique everyone is in this game. No clone character pallete swap bullshit so far.

His 3D model looks great I wonder if they got a new freelancer for this one.

Fang is that type of character some designer wanted in for 20yrs but got refused every time but now they had to put him in to shut that guy

We already got Gen for purple chinese man
You're not wrong. I remember it being posted in the SFV OT that Capcpom designers wanted to put in a poison character in SF3 but it ultimately came down to the poison character or Remy. And that emo fuck won.

B4NIKAN.jpg

JayEH

Speaking of the story, why is Barlog even sticking around Shadaloo? I never considered the guy evil, just greedy.

He just goes to whoever is the highest bidder and lets him punch stuff and Shadaloo was that until the illumanti showed up with a better offer.

None of the kings of shadaloo besides FANG are really invested with the organization. Sagat only used them so he could fight ryu again and Vega is just egotistical and will jump ship if trouble comes.

deleted

I feel like fighting game makers forgot how to design a good character visually in the last 15 years. From Street Fighter to KoF to Tekken and Soul Calibur, the designs all look way too busy and cluttered.

Up to and including SC2 maybe, every character had an idea behind him visually that somewhat reflected in his fighting style and looked good. Then suddenly with the jump to HD (again, maybe, can't pin down the game or year, way too casual observer for that), it seems like 5 people all just HAD to incorporate their own idea into one character. Like they went to the Final Fantasy Tactics 2 school of over-design. There are exceptions, like the female brazilian fighter in SFV, but most of the time when I see artwork or trailer for new characters, they look really weird.

Well, just my 5 cents. Don't understand why they didn't go with the hoody as the main costume.

Edit: SFV is the least offensive in this regard for me - but this character fits..

Ya know, considering the thirst I keep seeing being built up for Sagat & Sakura, i'm gonna go ahead and commend the guys for saving them for their future initiatives. Thirst is real.

Also, Ed looks awesome. I'm very curious to try the new input method. Bring on the weekend.

Numb

You're not wrong. I remember it being posted in the SFV OT that Capcpom designers wanted to put in a poison character in SF3 but it ultimately came down to the poison character or Remy. And that emo fuck won.

B4NIKAN.jpg

Fang type lost to Remy?

I'd rather have Fang

Ya know, considering the thirst I keep seeing being built up for Sagat & Sakura, i'm gonna go ahead and commend the guys for saving them for their future initiatives. Thirst is real.

Also, Ed looks awesome. I'm very curious to try the new input method. Bring on the weekend.
They added a space after the sixth silhouette. I'm thinking Sagat is closer than we think.

Top Bottom