• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge Magazine Review Scores: Issue #399 — Hellblade II, Homeworld 3, Still Wakes The Deep and more scored

e03wrzN.png

Reviews
  • Still Wakes The Deep - 8
  • Hellblade II - 4
  • Homeworld 3 - 7
  • RKGK/Rakugaki - 7
  • Cryptmaster - 8
  • 1000xRESIST - 8
  • Paper Trail - 7
  • Isles Of Sea and Sky - 8
  • No Case Should Remain Unsolved - 9
  • Little Kitty, Big City - 7
  • Hauntii - 5
Source - Messofanego on Era.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Reviewer must have pulled out the 5 star scoring system for Hellblade 2.

The 5-star scoring system is infinitely superior to the clunky, overcomplicated 10-point system. Let's be real: the 5-star system is sleek, elegant, and effortlessly communicates quality. Each star in a 5-star system is loaded with meaning and significance, making every review punchy and impactful.

First off, simplicity is king! With 5 stars, you get a clear, concise, and immediate understanding of the quality. There's no need to debate whether a 6.5 is actually a 7 or argue about the nuances between a 7.2 and a 7.8. A 4-star rating? Great! A 2-star rating? Meh, avoid. It’s as straightforward as it gets. The 10-point system just muddies the waters with its excessive granularity, leading to over-analysis and confusion.

Moreover, the 5-star system aligns perfectly with our cognitive preferences. Human brains love simplicity and chunking information into manageable pieces. The 5-star system provides exactly that, fitting perfectly into our natural desire for quick, digestible information.

And let’s talk about the aesthetics! A row of stars is visually appealing and universally understood. It’s iconic. You instantly know what it means. In contrast, a 10-point score often needs context – is 7/10 good? Is 5/10 average? The ambiguity is maddening! With 5 stars, each increment is a leap in quality that’s unmistakable.

Additionally, the 5-star system has a storied legacy in reviews of everything from movies to hotels to products. It’s a trusted, time-tested method that has stood the test of time. People expect it and know how to interpret it. Switching to a 10-point system is like reinventing the wheel – unnecessary and confusing.

Lastly, let's not forget the emotional impact. There’s something deeply satisfying about awarding or receiving stars. It’s celebratory, it’s rewarding, and it carries an emotional weight that cold, clinical numbers simply can’t match.

In conclusion, the 5-star system is the pinnacle of rating methods: simple, effective, aesthetically pleasing, universally understood, and emotionally resonant. The 10-point system? A convoluted mess. Long live the 5-star system!

4/5 ain't bad.

SJRB

Gold Member
Based Edge.

The 5-star scoring system is infinitely superior to the clunky, overcomplicated 10-point system. Let's be real: the 5-star system is sleek, elegant, and effortlessly communicates quality. Each star in a 5-star system is loaded with meaning and significance, making every review punchy and impactful.

First off, simplicity is king! With 5 stars, you get a clear, concise, and immediate understanding of the quality. There's no need to debate whether a 6.5 is actually a 7 or argue about the nuances between a 7.2 and a 7.8. A 4-star rating? Great! A 2-star rating? Meh, avoid. It’s as straightforward as it gets. The 10-point system just muddies the waters with its excessive granularity, leading to over-analysis and confusion.

Moreover, the 5-star system aligns perfectly with our cognitive preferences. Human brains love simplicity and chunking information into manageable pieces. The 5-star system provides exactly that, fitting perfectly into our natural desire for quick, digestible information.

And let’s talk about the aesthetics! A row of stars is visually appealing and universally understood. It’s iconic. You instantly know what it means. In contrast, a 10-point score often needs context – is 7/10 good? Is 5/10 average? The ambiguity is maddening! With 5 stars, each increment is a leap in quality that’s unmistakable.

Additionally, the 5-star system has a storied legacy in reviews of everything from movies to hotels to products. It’s a trusted, time-tested method that has stood the test of time. People expect it and know how to interpret it. Switching to a 10-point system is like reinventing the wheel – unnecessary and confusing.

Lastly, let's not forget the emotional impact. There’s something deeply satisfying about awarding or receiving stars. It’s celebratory, it’s rewarding, and it carries an emotional weight that cold, clinical numbers simply can’t match.

In conclusion, the 5-star system is the pinnacle of rating methods: simple, effective, aesthetically pleasing, universally understood, and emotionally resonant. The 10-point system? A convoluted mess. Long live the 5-star system!

4/5 ain't bad.

200w.gif

spons

Gold Member

4/5 ain't bad.
You had this ready to post, didn't you?

I'm happy that Still Wakes The Deep scored well. I'm looking forward to diving into it as soon as it releases since it's going to be a good palate cleanser from what I'm currently playing.

Yeah I just took a look at it on the basis of this - looks pretty interesting so I think I'll check it out too.
I'll be sounding like an ad here, but it's launching on game pass day one so def worth a try imo if you're playing on Xbox/PC. If I like it I'll also buy the game later on to support the dev.

calistan

Gold Member
Not sure why Little Kitty is worth a 7. It's a janky, repetitive rip-off of that Goose Game thing. Downloaded it to play with my daughter and she was bored out of her mind within an hour. It's just shit.

Still, better than GTA 3 according to Edge.

IlGialloMondadori

Gold Member
So this kiddy kitty trash is a 7

little-kitty-big-city-scaled.jpg

Press Y to drop bread!

while this cinematic masterpiece, with intense combat, the best visuals of all time, that dared to try something different, gets a 4.

8be235b257e137e2bbd6ec83db59ac15.gif

Irrelevant, hipster magazine.
I have no idea if this is a joke or not, but people keep posting this image like its supposed to look like good combat. I just don't get it. It's basically the sections in God of War where you've beaten the boss and you get a short cinematic of the last few seconds.

tommib

Gold Member
So this kiddy kitty trash is a 7

little-kitty-big-city-scaled.jpg

Press Y to drop bread!

while this cinematic masterpiece, with intense combat, the best visuals of all time, that dared to try something different, gets a 4.

8be235b257e137e2bbd6ec83db59ac15.gif

That cat screenshot looks so much more interesting - it’s like in a different world. Your hellbalde gif condenses the full title. There’s nothing more to it. It’s all there in a gif.

Topher

Gold Member
If Microsoft cared that Edge was going to give Hellblade a pasting, all they needed to do was get somebody at Ninja Theory to like an old JK Rowling tweet. Hey presto, no Edge review.

I played it and it's just not very good at all. So repetitive, so buggy.

I played a little bit to get some achievements for MS rewards. Thought it wasn't too bad really, but haven't played enough to really have a take on it.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
That cat screenshot looks so much more interesting - it’s like in a different world. Your hellbalde gif condenses the full title. There’s nothing more to it. It’s all there in a gif.
This to me is like saying Bluey is more interesting/appealing than The Northman.

calistan

Gold Member
I played a little bit to get some achievements for MS rewards. Thought it wasn't too bad really, but haven't played enough to really have a take on it.
I thought it was going to be cool, because I liked the Goose Game and cats are clearly better than geese, but the masses of badly written text, the unimaginative tasks and the endless bugs eventually made me uninstall it. Objects floating above the ground, items vanishing, the whole game getting stuck in slow motion until it's reset... I wouldn't have been surprised if it had been made by one guy in his spare time on Unity.

I swear the more I think about HB2 the worse I think it was. I felt like it was a solid 6/10 right after beating it.
Now I think I agree with Edge . . .

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Having a mature theme doesn't automatically make a game more fun to play.
true. but to me theres a limit.

I dont know how any grown man can look forward to playing some kitty adventure aimed at 6 year olds (unless they are playing with their 6 year old) or genuinely look forward to watching Bluey, a show for 4-5 year olds....

Like this isn't some Pixar esque movie where the jokes have adult themes (Toy Story, Ice Age, etc) I get that.. But Bluey is straight up aimed at little kids lol, as is this kitty game.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
It's not irrelevant, you just have to know how to use it. I think the score for Hellblade is completely absurd, but shit happens and it is a divisive game. You just have to know what kind of stuff they like and read it that way. They hated Hellblade 1 apparently, but a lot of people seemed to have enjoyed that too. I think HB2 is a masterpiece and I still don't know what's going to top it this year for me, but I don't need Edge to validate what I think. They like most Nintendo stuff, so I wouldn't be shocked at all to see high scores for Astro Bot. They have scored most other Sony stuff lower than people expect, and Gears 5 as well and everyone's accused them of bias on all sides. Most of the people in this thread calling them based are the loudest complainers trashing the magazine anytime they disagree with it.

What I see from this thread that is actually useful to me is that I'm going to keep an eye out for these games. Looked at the pics and they look interesting. I had heard of 1000xRESIST but not the other 3.
  • Cryptmaster
  • RKGK/Rakugaki
  • 1000xRESIST
  • No Case Should Remain Unsolved
I always learn of a game or two at their end of the year lists too.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed

I dont know how any grown man can look forward to playing some kitty adventure aimed at 6 year olds (unless they are playing with their 6 year old) or genuinely look forward to watching Bluey, a show for 4-5 year olds....

Like this isn't some Pixar esque movie where the jokes have adult themes (Toy Story, Ice Age, etc) I get that.. But Bluey is straight up aimed at little kids lol, as is this kitty game.
You sound insecure

Topher

Gold Member

Then seems pretty ridiculous to be comparing Hellblade 2 to a game "aimed at 6 years olds" at all, doesn't it?

Top Bottom