• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge Magazine Review Scores: Issue #399 — Hellblade II, Homeworld 3, Still Wakes The Deep and more scored

Hugare

Oof

I knew Edge was going to tear it apart.

I've played my share of walking sims (Gone Home, Ethan Carther, Edith Finch and etc.). But man, Hellblade managed to be the most boring one, I'm not even joking.

Presentation is its saving grace. But even the visuals are ... boring. Same collor palete, same scenery, rocks everywhere.

Not saying this 'cause I'm Sony biased or anything. I look forward to Gears E-day.

Last edited:

[Sigma]

You know I had for forgot about that Kemuri game by Ikumi Nakamura's studio. I look forward to seeing more from that.

FewRope

Imagine how much of a piece of shit Hellblade 2 really is when EDGE, know by loving every trash walking sim pretentious bullshit game, gave it a 4. Jesus

They should have lied on the review for Hellblade 2 and gave it a 8 to save the industry.
d5ead85146001741a48f8610b864cf0f.jpg

Oh, wait! You're the actual OP of that thread. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Just to seriously address this point:

You can review something objectively regardless of its target market.

For example, the quality of a programme like Bluey may be far above something like The Real Housewives of LA from a writing and production viewpoint.

The people who read EDGE may also have children and will want to know the quality of the games they are buying for their children.

This is a bottom of the barrel argument: how dare Hellblade score less than a kid’s game! So what if it’s a kids game?

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Reviewer must have pulled out the 5 star scoring system for Hellblade 2.

The 5-star scoring system is infinitely superior to the clunky, overcomplicated 10-point system. Let's be real: the 5-star system is sleek, elegant, and effortlessly communicates quality. Each star in a 5-star system is loaded with meaning and significance, making every review punchy and impactful.

First off, simplicity is king! With 5 stars, you get a clear, concise, and immediate understanding of the quality. There's no need to debate whether a 6.5 is actually a 7 or argue about the nuances between a 7.2 and a 7.8. A 4-star rating? Great! A 2-star rating? Meh, avoid. It’s as straightforward as it gets. The 10-point system just muddies the waters with its excessive granularity, leading to over-analysis and confusion.

Moreover, the 5-star system aligns perfectly with our cognitive preferences. Human brains love simplicity and chunking information into manageable pieces. The 5-star system provides exactly that, fitting perfectly into our natural desire for quick, digestible information.

And let’s talk about the aesthetics! A row of stars is visually appealing and universally understood. It’s iconic. You instantly know what it means. In contrast, a 10-point score often needs context – is 7/10 good? Is 5/10 average? The ambiguity is maddening! With 5 stars, each increment is a leap in quality that’s unmistakable.

Additionally, the 5-star system has a storied legacy in reviews of everything from movies to hotels to products. It’s a trusted, time-tested method that has stood the test of time. People expect it and know how to interpret it. Switching to a 10-point system is like reinventing the wheel – unnecessary and confusing.

Lastly, let's not forget the emotional impact. There’s something deeply satisfying about awarding or receiving stars. It’s celebratory, it’s rewarding, and it carries an emotional weight that cold, clinical numbers simply can’t match.

In conclusion, the 5-star system is the pinnacle of rating methods: simple, effective, aesthetically pleasing, universally understood, and emotionally resonant. The 10-point system? A convoluted mess. Long live the 5-star system!

4/5 ain't bad.
I can't judge Hellblade because I haven't played it yet but I give this a 1 out of 10. You could have left out the chatgpt bit. Posts written by AI should be banned.

gerth666

Oof

I knew Edge was going to tear it apart.

I've played my share of walking sims (Days Gone, Ethan Carther, Edith Finch and etc.). But man, Hellblade managed to be the most boring one, I'm not even joking.

Presentation is its saving grace. But even the visuals are ... boring. Same collor palete, same scenery, rocks everywhere.

Not saying this 'cause I'm Sony biased or anything. I look forward to Gears E-day.
Days gone? Really?

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I was going to get it, but I heard it had some issues.

I wanted the collectors edition with the dumb ship.

I have to admit it was a pretty cool CE, I ended up getting it on steam and playing through the early test (it was shit with terrible controls) I then preordered on steam and played the launch version (it was shit with better controls) and got to the 4th campaign mission and just switched it off during the cutscene where it kept on zooming in on our navigators mothership sized chin as she bitched about stuff I didn't care about. It's not homeworld.

SVmizqb.jpeg

I refunded from steam, got my money back fine. Fuck this game.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
So this kiddy kitty trash is a 7

little-kitty-big-city-scaled.jpg

Press Y to drop bread!

while this cinematic masterpiece, with intense combat, the best visuals of all time, that dared to try something different, gets a 4.

8be235b257e137e2bbd6ec83db59ac15.gif

Irrelevant, hipster magazine.
having good cinematic and visuals doesnt mean its a good game.
You aree not playing a game, you are playing a movie.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
So this kiddy kitty trash is a 7

little-kitty-big-city-scaled.jpg

Press Y to drop bread!

while this cinematic masterpiece, with intense combat, the best visuals of all time, that dared to try something different, gets a 4.

8be235b257e137e2bbd6ec83db59ac15.gif

Irrelevant, hipster magazine.
Be real - it’s only a “masterpiece” to you because of the graphics (and I’m a graphics nut calling that).

Gameplay has to matter. Hellblade II falls short there.

AJUMP23

I have to admit it was a pretty cool CE, I ended up getting it on steam and playing through the early test (it was shit with terrible controls) I then preordered on steam and played the launch version (it was shit with better controls) and got to the 4th campaign mission and just switched it off during the cutscene where it kept on zooming in on our navigators mothership sized chin as she bitched about stuff I didn't care about. It's not homeworld.

SVmizqb.jpeg

I refunded from steam, got my money back fine. Fuck this game.

I think I will wait for a sale.

Topher

Gold Member
Then this score cannot be trusted. I think the first game was good. Many people are not satisfied with the second game, but these guys didn't even like the first one.

I never played the first game, but lots of folks here were saying if you liked the first then you would like the sequel. Seems the same would apply if someone didn't like the first game as well.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I never played the first game, but lots of folks here were saying if you liked the first then you would like the sequel. Seems the same would apply if someone didn't like the first game as well.
First game's combat was a monotonous and repetitive slog. I know almost all games are repetitive, but they at least try and make the gameplay encounters fun. The combat sheen wore off in mere minutes, where you were like, "ah shit, not again, sigh." It felt like a vehicle you could not wait to push through to progress the story along.

Last edited:
Top Bottom