• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge Magazine Review Scores: Issue #399 — Hellblade II, Homeworld 3, Still Wakes The Deep and more scored

Topher

Gold Member
First game's combat was a monotonous and repetitive slog. I know almost all games are repetitive, but they at least try and make the gameplay encounters fun. The combat sheen wore off in mere minutes, where you were like, "ah shit, not again, sigh." It felt like a vehicle you could not wait to push through to progress the story along.

Sounds exactly like the sequel.

Zheph

Then this score cannot be trusted. I think the first game was good. Many people are not satisfied with the second game, but these guys didn't even like the first one.
Novelty plays a big part and the first one was an indie

Last edited:

Katatonic

Oof

I knew Edge was going to tear it apart.

I've played my share of walking sims (Days Gone, Ethan Carther, Edith Finch and etc.). But man, Hellblade managed to be the most boring one, I'm not even joking.

Presentation is its saving grace. But even the visuals are ... boring. Same collor palete, same scenery, rocks everywhere.

Not saying this 'cause I'm Sony biased or anything. I look forward to Gears E-day.

Days Gone a walking sim??!!!

I haven't played a game with combat in half a decade.
Oh I See Hugh Bonneville GIF by Downton Abbey

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Oof

I knew Edge was going to tear it apart.

I've played my share of walking sims (Days Gone, Ethan Carther, Edith Finch and etc.). But man, Hellblade managed to be the most boring one, I'm not even joking.

Presentation is its saving grace. But even the visuals are ... boring. Same collor palete, same scenery, rocks everywhere.

Not saying this 'cause I'm Sony biased or anything. I look forward to Gears E-day.
Day's Gone is not a "walking sim," at all.

Some of the most intense gameplay moments in modern gaming with their encounter system.

He's probably thinking of Gone Home.
That makes much more sense.

Last edited:

tommib

Gold Member
First game's combat was a monotonous and repetitive slog. I know almost all games are repetitive, but they at least try and make the gameplay encounters fun. The combat sheen wore off in mere minutes, where you were like, "ah shit, not again, sigh." It felt like a vehicle you could not wait to push through to progress the story along.
I played the first one for like 30 minutes on gamepass when I had a series S thinking it was going to be awesome (reviews and buzzwords from the time). Absolutely atrocious and repetitive gameplay. And I’m all in on “cinematic”. My favourite game ever is D from Kenji Eno ffs.

But this was just terrible and a slog. And the 2nd apparently doubles it down. Another issue I think is that the atmosphere is just not there. Shit looks tacky and subpar. Like a bad indie version of The Northman.

I played the first one for like 30 minutes on gamepass when I had a series S thinking it was going to be awesome (reviews and buzzwords from the time). Absolutely atrocious and repetitive gameplay. And I’m all in on “cinematic”. My favourite game ever is D from Kenji Eno ffs.

But this was just terrible and a slog. And the 2nd apparently doubles it down. Another issue I think is that the atmosphere is just not there. Shit looks tacky and subpar. Like a bad indie version of The Northman.
I will staunchly defend a game like TLoU2 for example because the balance is there. That's my beef. I need balance and it must tip the scale in favor of gameplay at least slightly. I can deal with cinematic My Experience shit AS LONG as I get shit like the Hillcrest level in TLoU2.

My issue is with devs who get so caught up in their own auteur drivel, they seemingly relegate gameplay design to an afterthought. Having played both HB games, you just cannot tell me that shit wasn't designed Hollywood Story First with some serviceable gameplay shoehorned in to fit that narrative. When I get that vibe, gtfo, I didn't buy a videogame for that.

tommib

Gold Member
I will staunchly defend a game like TLoU2 for example because the balance is there. That's my beef. I need balance and it must tip the scale in favor of gameplay at least slightly. I can deal with cinematic My Experience shit AS LONG as I get shit like the Hillcrest level in TLoU2.

My issue is with devs who get so caught up in their own auteur drivel, they seemingly relegate gameplay design to an afterthought. Having played both HB games, you just cannot tell me that shit wasn't designed Hollywood Story First with some serviceable gameplay shoehorned in to fit that narrative. When I get that vibe, gtfo, I didn't buy a videogame for that.
That’s precisely Edge’s issue:

"By turns astonishing and insufferable, there is as much here to make your eyes roll as widen. Even the moments when Hellblade II delivers nigh-unparalleled visual spectacle (see 'Giant steps') are soured by the fact that our involvement in these set-pieces so often feels incidental. For long stretches, it's akin to watching someone else play, only occasionally - and always unwillingly - handing back the controller. We can't help but return to that old chestnut about the interactive experience being a conversation between designer and player; there is an irony that in this, of all games, we're scarcely able to get a word in edgeways."

Disco Dave

Reviewer must have pulled out the 5 star scoring system for Hellblade 2.

The 5-star scoring system is infinitely superior to the clunky, overcomplicated 10-point system. Let's be real: the 5-star system is sleek, elegant, and effortlessly communicates quality. Each star in a 5-star system is loaded with meaning and significance, making every review punchy and impactful.

First off, simplicity is king! With 5 stars, you get a clear, concise, and immediate understanding of the quality. There's no need to debate whether a 6.5 is actually a 7 or argue about the nuances between a 7.2 and a 7.8. A 4-star rating? Great! A 2-star rating? Meh, avoid. It’s as straightforward as it gets. The 10-point system just muddies the waters with its excessive granularity, leading to over-analysis and confusion.

Moreover, the 5-star system aligns perfectly with our cognitive preferences. Human brains love simplicity and chunking information into manageable pieces. The 5-star system provides exactly that, fitting perfectly into our natural desire for quick, digestible information.

And let’s talk about the aesthetics! A row of stars is visually appealing and universally understood. It’s iconic. You instantly know what it means. In contrast, a 10-point score often needs context – is 7/10 good? Is 5/10 average? The ambiguity is maddening! With 5 stars, each increment is a leap in quality that’s unmistakable.

Additionally, the 5-star system has a storied legacy in reviews of everything from movies to hotels to products. It’s a trusted, time-tested method that has stood the test of time. People expect it and know how to interpret it. Switching to a 10-point system is like reinventing the wheel – unnecessary and confusing.

Lastly, let's not forget the emotional impact. There’s something deeply satisfying about awarding or receiving stars. It’s celebratory, it’s rewarding, and it carries an emotional weight that cold, clinical numbers simply can’t match.

In conclusion, the 5-star system is the pinnacle of rating methods: simple, effective, aesthetically pleasing, universally understood, and emotionally resonant. The 10-point system? A convoluted mess. Long live the 5-star system!

4/5 ain't bad.
yoaUOq7.jpeg

Majukun

now i'm kinda curious to try hellblade since it's free on gamepass

but likely my potato laptop can't run it

SkylineRKR

Hellblade is barely a game. Its shallow, short and boring. It should be rated as a full retail product, which it is. And its not worth it.

I think many games nowadays are too bloated, but Hellblade pushes it too far into the other direction. Coming from these studios like Ninja Theory, and before we had Quantic Dream.. color me surprised. David Cage and Taneem lol.

Last edited:

Mozzarella

So this kiddy kitty trash is a 7

little-kitty-big-city-scaled.jpg

Press Y to drop bread!

while this cinematic masterpiece, with intense combat, the best visuals of all time, that dared to try something different, gets a 4.

8be235b257e137e2bbd6ec83db59ac15.gif

Irrelevant, hipster magazine.
Yeah i dont like Hellblade either(probably deserved score), but Edge is not really the paragon of game critique, they are just another magazine, the same as Gamespot, IGN, PC gamer and Eurogamer.
For me they are a bit more decent than most magazines just for the fact that they are willing to be more harsh on popular games than the rest, but some decisions are still questionable and sometimes i feel they want to be hipsters.
I honestly find GameSpot to be the best so far, best GOTY choices and Scores, although i do disagree with them sometimes, but overall they are the most tolerable.

Last edited:

demigod

It's not irrelevant, you just have to know how to use it. I think the score for Hellblade is completely absurd, but shit happens and it is a divisive game. You just have to know what kind of stuff they like and read it that way. They hated Hellblade 1 apparently, but a lot of people seemed to have enjoyed that too. I think HB2 is a masterpiece and I still don't know what's going to top it this year for me, but I don't need Edge to validate what I think. They like most Nintendo stuff, so I wouldn't be shocked at all to see high scores for Astro Bot. They have scored most other Sony stuff lower than people expect, and Gears 5 as well and everyone's accused them of bias on all sides. Most of the people in this thread calling them based are the loudest complainers trashing the magazine anytime they disagree with it.

What I see from this thread that is actually useful to me is that I'm going to keep an eye out for these games. Looked at the pics and they look interesting. I had heard of 1000xRESIST but not the other 3.
  • Cryptmaster
  • RKGK/Rakugaki
  • 1000xRESIST
  • No Case Should Remain Unsolved
I always learn of a game or two at their end of the year lists too.
You can’t keep Sony out of your mouth can you? Astro Bot will destroy Hellblade 2.

Alan Wake

Hellblade is barely a game. Its shallow, short and boring. It should be rated as a full retail product, which it is. And its not worth it.

I think many games nowadays are too bloated, but Hellblade pushes it too far into the other direction. Coming from these studios like Ninja Theory, and before we had Quantic Dream.. color me surprised. David Cage and Taneem lol.
At least Detroit: Become Human had engaging characters, a good story and a very emotional ending. Hellblade II is way worse in every way imaginable.

BlackTron

Gold Member
nah my take is pretty normal.

most grown men are not out here watching Bluey on their own, they watch with kids. fact

Putting "fact" at the end made me realize you're the guy who goes "PC is better, fact" and it all made sense lol.

I think you're right most grown men aren't going out of their way to play Bluey on their own. But if the Bluey game accomplishes what it set out to do for kids well, it can be a 7-10, and if Hellblade fails to be the game it could be for it's mature audience, it can be a 4-6. Without breaking the universe, or something.

Top Bottom