• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge Magazine Review Scores: Issue #399 — Hellblade II, Homeworld 3, Still Wakes The Deep and more scored

It's not irrelevant, you just have to know how to use it. I think the score for Hellblade is completely absurd, but shit happens and it is a divisive game. You just have to know what kind of stuff they like and read it that way. They hated Hellblade 1 apparently, but a lot of people seemed to have enjoyed that too. I think HB2 is a masterpiece and I still don't know what's going to top it this year for me, but I don't need Edge to validate what I think. They like most Nintendo stuff, so I wouldn't be shocked at all to see high scores for Astro Bot. They have scored most other Sony stuff lower than people expect, and Gears 5 as well and everyone's accused them of bias on all sides. Most of the people in this thread calling them based are the loudest complainers trashing the magazine anytime they disagree with it.
You didn't try to put Astrobot close to Hellblade II now did you?

Of course Astrobot is about to have better scores than a tech demo. For starters only one of these is a videogame lmao.

Despite its scores I am definitely still interested in playing Hellblade, if it were on my sub service. I enjoy linear stuff, more than other gamers. Quantic Dream, Walking Dead, Ryse... I understand why some dislike them, but I like them for the no bs open world and convoluted mechanics, just guiding me through.

Varteras

Gold Member
You can do the doggy position with women aswell.
s2BdqaE.gif

Everyone defending HB2 but in the OT all they talked about was the graphics. The game is short, almost on-rails literally, combat is as repetitive and same as in the first game. The story was....whatever. Literally, nobody talked about the game, everyone talks about the graphics and somehow you thought that justifies 9/10. Maybe a 4 is too low but HB2 is no deserving of more than a 6 at best. There's nothing there especially after 7 years almost nothing evolved. Has even the same type of collectibles, told the same way but at least the first game gave you a secret ending if you collect them all. Here you get a shitty trophy and spoonfed 30 sec bits of story. Its junk.

Everyone defending HB2 but in the OT all they talked about was the graphics. The game is short, almost on-rails literally, combat is as repetitive and same as in the first game. The story was....whatever. Literally, nobody talked about the game, everyone talks about the graphics and somehow you thought that justifies 9/10. Maybe a 4 is too low but HB2 is no deserving of more than a 6 at best. There's nothing there especially after 7 years almost nothing evolved. Has even the same type of collectibles, told the same way but at least the first game gave you a secret ending if you collect them all. Here you get a shitty trophy and spoonfed 30 sec bits of story. Its junk.

It becomes better on a 2nd playthrough though - a masterpiece even...

Sony movie-games® = bad

Kojima is a hack and Death Stranding = walking sim with zero gameplay lol

Hellblade 2 = Amazing

Accept it

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
It means you aspire to appear greater, without necessarily being greater.
And despite that, all of their criticisms are generally spot on and based on validity.

We don’t have to like them, but unless you can find irrefutable flaws in their reporting, that’s all it will ever be. A dislike.

Last edited:

Shakka43

Pretentious is not a negative quality. :) It means you aspire to be something greater than what you might be. All good.
Yeah it is. Pretentiousness is not aspiring to anything, it is acting like you already are that any thing without really being it.

eerik9000

How is Edge pretentious?
Because they give games lower scores than 7/10. I've seen people online (might have been even here on GAF) argue that if a game is playable, it should automatically be at least 5/10, lower scores should be reserved only in case there are fundamental game-breaking issues. Imagine if music reviews, for example, worked the same way: "oh yeah, these vibrations are in the audible range, must give this at least 5/10".

JackMcGunns

I mean, can you explain this?

GameCritics (Hellblade PS4):

Hellblade is one of the game industry’s few genuine dramas – a dark, uncomfortable experience that makes players suffer alongside its protagonist. By intentionally avoiding the standard power fantasy in their designs, Ninja Theory has shined a light on mental illness, an important subject that many people are ill-informed about, and they’ve portrayed it in an immersive manner that no other storytelling medium could. For those up to the challenge, it’s a must-play, and one of the boldest and most important artistic endeavors games have seen in quite some time.
Rating: 9.5 out of 10

GameCritics (Hellblade 2 Xbox Series X):

Until now, I’ve liked each new Ninja Theory game more than the last, and I can never deny the craft on display. Given that this is their first major release since the Microsoft acquisition, I credit Hellblade II for not feeling compromised by corporate interests, but that only makes it more baffling that it lacks any real vision that I was able to discern. It’s not an offensively bad experience, and yet I can only offer one of the most damning criticisms imaginable – I have no idea why it was made.

Rating: 4.5 out of 10

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

Hellblade is one of the game industry’s few genuine dramas – a dark, uncomfortable experience that makes players suffer alongside its protagonist. By intentionally avoiding the standard power fantasy in their designs, Ninja Theory has shined a light on mental illness, an important subject that many people are ill-informed about, and they’ve portrayed it in an immersive manner that no other storytelling medium could. For those up to the challenge, it’s a must-play, and one of the boldest and most important artistic endeavors games have seen in quite some time.

Until now, I’ve liked each new Ninja Theory game more than the last, and I can never deny the craft on display. Given that this is their first major release since the Microsoft acquisition, I credit Hellblade II for not feeling compromised by corporate interests, but that only makes it more baffling that it lacks any real vision that I was able to discern. It’s not an offensively bad experience, and yet I can only offer one of the most damning criticisms imaginable – I have no idea why it was made.

Clearly that reviewer felt the sequel sucked. And? What is there to explain? You think that one guy having a drastic change of opinion on a sequel is an example of this bullshit "Xbox tax" that people have invented? I mean.....Hellblade and Hellblade 2 are separated by a massive one point differential on metacritic. If that doesn't put this nonsense to bed then nothing will.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

40 Edge Magazine Aug 17, 2017
Fucking Xbox tax.
Clearly that reviewer felt the sequel sucked. And? What is there to explain? You think that one guy having a drastic change of opinion on a sequel is an example of this bullshit "Xbox tax" that people have invented? I mean.....Hellblade and Hellblade 2 are separated by a massive one point differential on metacritic. If that doesn't put this nonsense to bed then nothing will.
If the first one is anything like the second, it's rated too damn high.

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

Did you play Senua's Sacrifice? It's pretty much the same game with improvements in the sequel. Not groundbreaking improvements, but if you gave a game a 9.5 and praised it for its theme of dealing with mental health issues, then turn around and give the same game, but just on a different platform, a 4.5 and even mention the Microsoft acquisition in your review as the reason why you're knocking off points, then I don't know what else there is to say.

I like that you bring up the point "Separated by just 1 point in Metacritic" that implies that without all the negative BLAH BLAH Microsoft Acquisition BLAH, the game would be rated higher. Look at GameSpot's review, same shit.

GameSpot
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Critic Review
Hellblade's most notable achievement is the handling of an incredibly sensitive subject matter within an engaging and well-crafted action/adventure game. At its heart, the story is about Senua's struggle to come to terms with her illness. In the process, she learns to find the strength within herself to endure, and to make peace with her past. And in a profound and physical way, we go through those same struggles with her, and come away with a better understanding of a piece of something that many people in the world struggle with.

GameSpot
MAY 21, 2024
Based on its new naming convention, the use of "saga" in Hellblade 2's title, and Microsoft's acquisition of developer Ninja Theory following the success of Senua's Sacrifice, it seems as if Hellblade is slated to be a series as well as a staple in Xbox's first-party lineup. That said, at this point, I don't exactly understand where the series is headed.

Sorry if you don't see it, but it's right there MICROSOFT ACQUISITION in both reviews influencing the score.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Did you play Senua's Sacrifice? It's pretty much the same game with improvements in the sequel. Not groundbreaking improvements, but if you gave a game a 9.5 and praised it for its theme of dealing with mental health issues, then turn around and give the same game, but just on a different platform, a 4.5 and even mention the Microsoft acquisition in your review as the reason why you're knocking off points, then I don't know what else there is to say.

1. What was novel in 2017 can be far less interesting in 2024, especially if it has the exact same themes.
2. A fan of the original might have expected more from a Microsoft-funded game, especially since the original was made on a shoestring budget.
3. A fan of the original might be disappointed that NT spent hundreds of millions of dollars to make a retread.

There are many reasons that go beyond your idiotic persecution complex for a piece of hardware.

Last edited:

Is it the same reviewer? Could it be the reviewer simply didn't like the sequel as much?

It's not an unpopular opinion that besides the graphics, the sequel is worse in every other way...

nowhat

Gold Member
Oh, yes. And that's what made me nervous at the end, I didn't want to f it up. That sense of uncertainty.
Oh, if you ever replay the game, try the bad endings as well. I think they're pretty great, although some are about as subtle as a sledgehammer (but that's David Cage for you).

Topher

Gold Member

The reviewer's primary complaint for the sequel was the fact that Senua's struggle to deal with the mental healthy issues was over and there was really very little point for the sequel. If that was the crux of the first game then I can certainly understand his point. And he is right. The voices inside Senua's head in the sequel are barely ever acknowledged. They are just.....there. You can disagree with the reviewer on this, but he gave concrete reasons for his score.

"I would go further, though, and argue that Hellblade II actively harms the franchise’s standing as a well-researched and sympathetic portrayal of mental health. The original lucidly visualized the invisible demons that people with mental health struggles deal with on a daily basis. Although it ultimately taught us to see Senua’s psychosis as a feature rather than a bug, it didn’t mince words about how self-destructive the mind can be, and how torturous such an existence often is."

I like that you bring up the point "Separated by just 1 point in Metacritic" that implies that without all the negative BLAH BLAH Microsoft Acquisition BLAH, the game would be rated higher. Look at GameSpot's review, same shit.

GameSpot
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Critic Review
Hellblade's most notable achievement is the handling of an incredibly sensitive subject matter within an engaging and well-crafted action/adventure game. At its heart, the story is about Senua's struggle to come to terms with her illness. In the process, she learns to find the strength within herself to endure, and to make peace with her past. And in a profound and physical way, we go through those same struggles with her, and come away with a better understanding of a piece of something that many people in the world struggle with.

GameSpot
MAY 21, 2024
Based on its new naming convention, the use of "saga" in Hellblade 2's title, and Microsoft's acquisition of developer Ninja Theory following the success of Senua's Sacrifice, it seems as if Hellblade is slated to be a series as well as a staple in Xbox's first-party lineup. That said, at this point, I don't exactly understand where the series is headed.

Sorry if you don't see it, but it's right there MICROSOFT ACQUISITION in both reviews influencing the score.

Sorry, but that's just bullshit. Simply stating the fact that Ninja Theory was acquired by Microsoft is not proof that it influenced the score. GameSpot is merely suggesting that Hellblade may be a new series under the Microsoft banner. How in the world you read that as the reviewer knocking off points simply for being acquired by MS is beyond me.

Did you even read what was said in the first review about the acquisition? He said he "credited" Ninja Theory for not being influenced by corporate interests after the acquisition and sticking to the same formula.

"One might expect Ninja Theory’s first major release under the Microsoft banner to be their most bloated, but initially it almost feels praiseworthy for what it doesn’t do. There’s no open world, no resource gathering or crafting, no skill tree that adds an extra 3% damage to Senua’s strong attacks, and no upgradable bracer that increases her parry window by a fraction of a millisecond."

You really need to read the reviews and stop looking for two words as some contrived "gotcha". Factually, the reviews are not making the statement you claim they are making.

JackMcGunns

1. What was novel in 2017 can be far less interesting in 2024, especially if it has the exact same themes.
2. A fan of the original might have expected more from a Microsoft-funded game, especially since the original was made on a shoestring budget.
3. A fan of the original might be disappointed that NT spent hundreds of millions of dollars to make a retread.

There are many reasons that go beyond your idiotic persecution complex for a piece of hardware.

I was waiting for that one (Persecution complex) Most overused term and a tactic to invalidate a point. The reviews literally talks about the MS acquisition which should have no bearing on scoring a game. LIterally on your 2nd point, you're saying that maybe the reviewer was expecting more after Microsoft funded the game is saying the score was influeced by it, duh.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I was waiting for that one (Persecution complex) Most overused term and a tactic to invalidate a point. The reviews literally talks about the MS acquisition which should have no bearing on scoring a game. LIterally on your 2nd point, you're saying that maybe the reviewer was expecting more after Microsoft funded the game is saying the score was influeced by it, duh.

It's fair to reference a major acquisition and change in scope for a sequel. Games are not made in a vacuum and reviewing a game is not a matter of building blocks, "durr grog like game in 2017, new game same as old game, like game same"

I think we can all point to games we liked, sequel comes out later, nothing really wrong with it necessarily but the minor changes don't hit and end up liking it much less.

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

The reviewer's primary complaint for the sequel was the fact that Senua's struggle to deal with the mental healthy issues was over and there was really very little point for the sequel. If that was the crux of the first game then I can certainly understand his point. And he is right. The voices inside Senua's head in the sequel are barely ever acknowledged. They are just.....there. You can disagree with the reviewer on this, but he gave concrete reasons for his score.

"I would go further, though, and argue that Hellblade II actively harms the franchise’s standing as a well-researched and sympathetic portrayal of mental health. The original lucidly visualized the invisible demons that people with mental health struggles deal with on a daily basis. Although it ultimately taught us to see Senua’s psychosis as a feature rather than a bug, it didn’t mince words about how self-destructive the mind can be, and how torturous such an existence often is."

Sorry, but that's just bullshit. Simply stating the fact that Ninja Theory was acquired by Microsoft is not proof that it influenced the score. GameSpot is merely suggesting that Hellblade may be a new series under the Microsoft banner. How in the world you read that as the reviewer knocking off points simply for being acquired by MS is beyond me.

Did you even read what was said in the first review about the acquisition? He said he "credited" Ninja Theory for not being influenced by corporate interests after the acquisition and sticking to the same formula.

"One might expect Ninja Theory’s first major release under the Microsoft banner to be their most bloated, but initially it almost feels praiseworthy for what it doesn’t do. There’s no open world, no resource gathering or crafting, no skill tree that adds an extra 3% damage to Senua’s strong attacks, and no upgradable bracer that increases her parry window by a fraction of a millisecond."

You really need to read the reviews and stop looking for two words as some contrived "gotcha". Factually, the reviews are not making the statement you claim they are making.

Yes, that's precisely what I'm saying and you don't seem to grasp. The game should be reviewed for what it is, not who owns it and how much influence they could have on the game, it influences the score. Edge Magazine is on point and consistant, but a 9.5 down to 4.0? Really? You give 4.0 to a game that's broken.

TIGERCOOL

as someone who picks up and almost immediately puts down SO many single player games these days, both iterations of hellblade have had a surprising way of grabbing me despite the obvious flaws. finished the first one in a single sitting and probably going to finish the second one today after a 4-5 hour session yesterday. They're kind of like an extended interactive art gallery installation that totally engrosses the senses, which I find hypnotic and enjoyable. I also think these games do a nice job of representing the resltess futility of pyschosis. Any abstract sense of resolution constantly pulled out from under your feet, some new tangential (delusional) motivation subtly manifesting out of the previous one. That feeling that you're right on the cusp of some great revelation only to discover it's another layer of delusion folding onto itself.
As far as walking sims are concerned this one feels worthwhile. Not surprised by the lukewarm response from critics and consumers though I guess.

JackMcGunns

It's fair to reference a major acquisition and change in scope for a sequel. Games are not made in a vacuum and reviewing a game is not a matter of building blocks, "durr grog like game in 2017, new game same as old game, like game same"

I think we can all point to games we liked, sequel comes out later, nothing really wrong with it necessarily but the minor changes don't hit and end up liking it much less.

I agree with that, but going from 9.5 to 4.0 is a bit much, don't you think?

diffusionx

Gold Member
I agree with that, but going from 9.5 to 4.0 is a bit much, don't you think?
It's all relative. I am not even sure if it is the same person. But maybe it is and what was cool in 2017 is kind of cringe and stupid today for him. I watched a video of Hellblade 2 with all the voices and, like, I know this is suppoosed to be a selling point and I am sure some people appreciated it, but LMAO.

Topher

Gold Member
Yes, that's precisely what I'm saying and you don't seem to grasp. The game should be reviewed for what it is, not who owns it and how much influence they could have on the game, it influences the score. Edge Magazine is on point and consistant, but a 9.5 down to 4.0? Really? You give 4.0 to a game that's broken.

I'm not "grasping" what you are saying and yet I stated what you are saying "precisely" at the very same time? lol...whatever. Look.......I don't think the game deserves a score that low either, but that's just one guy's opinion. You have to have a lot more than one review to justify this "Xbox tax" bullshit. Either way, merely highlighting the words "microsoft acquisition" and ignoring the context in which those words are used is a bullshit argument. There is nothing in either of those reviews that suggests being owned by Microsoft affected the score.

JackMcGunns

I'm not "grasping" what you are saying and yet I stated what you are saying "precisely" at the very same time? lol...whatever. Look.......I don't think the game deserves a score that low either, but that's just one guy's opinion. You have to have a lot more than one review to justify this "Xbox tax" bullshit. Either way, merely highlighting the words "microsoft acquisition" and ignoring the context in which those words are used is a bullshit argument. There is nothing in either of those reviews that suggests being owned by Microsoft affected the score.

Ok, so we agree on something. The reviewer stated that he's a fan of Ninja Theory, has liked every new game more than the last... until...

Like I said, the Edge Magazine review is consistant at least, but going from 9.5 to a 4.0 is obsurd, there are broken games that have scored higher, why ignore that?

Topher

Gold Member
Ok, so we agree on something. The reviewer stated that he's a fan of Ninja Theory, has liked every new game more than the last... until...

Until Ninja Theory made a sequel that this reviewer clearly states he believes shouldn't have been made because it doesn't have the same impact as the first game with regard to mental health. You don't have to agree with the reasons the reviewer gave for the score but you should at least acknowledge what they are instead of making baseless assumptions.

Like I said, the Edge Magazine review is consistant at least, but going from 9.5 to a 4.0 is obsurd, there are broken games that have scored higher, why ignore that?
I mean yea, it happens, but it's a little sketchy when there's a platform switch and the review does a complete nose dive 🤷‍♂️

If he is giving out review scores based on platforms then how in the world did he give Ghost of Tsushima a 5/10?

More Sony tax? Or does this also fall under "it happens"?

Top Bottom