• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: "Meet NeoGAF, the hardcore community shaping the games media agenda"

Nibel

What... no mention of what "GAF" actually stands for or who handed over the forum?

That's just shoddy reporting, inaccurate and mean :(
Now I want reparations.

GAF stands for "Gifs And Fun", why should they write something so obvious?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
What... no mention of what "GAF" actually stands for or who handed over the forum?

That's just shoddy reporting, inaccurate and mean :(
Now I want reparations.

The upcoming VG247 feature should have a lot on the history with Gaming-Age and so forth. Touched upon it in the GTTV documentary filming today as well.

Maybe Orth will dedicate his life to destroying GAF.

I imagine a make-shift Legion of Doom consisting of Dyack, Orth, Gies, and Cliffy with banned members as henchmen.

I would watch that show.

The upcoming VG247 feature should have a lot on the history with Gaming-Age and so forth. Touched upon it in the GTTV documentary filming today as well.

Thats awesome. I have always wondered about the site's roots.

Mashing

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of OT's, because I'm certain most of them are done by professional viral marketers.

With that said, they're fine after the game release as a dumping ground for comments and especially useful for questions and game play guidance.

Verge reported on the article about GAF. It's quite Inception-esque.

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2013...-neogaf-community-voice-adam-orth-controversy

55548_10151159396804795_1116936220_o_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

Earlier this week Adam Orth left his job as a creative director at Microsoft Studios after a series of his controversial remarks about internet access gained wide media attention. But it wasn't a traditional publication that originally brought attention to Orth's comments — it was the gaming forum NeoGAF. Edge Magazine profiled the over-a-decade old website and spoke with owner Tyler Malka about the highs and lows of the NeoGAF community's powerful collective voice. He's stayed at forum members' homes and seen members get married, but he's also governed the community across a share of high profile clashes with members of the gaming industry — events that have made the NeoGAF community appear distrustful of the very industry that draws it together.

I really don't understand why GAF is so important. It's just people posting gifs and gaming news :p

Seriously, posts after OP are for the majority unnecessary (my posts included of course). So now it's just a gaming news forum with lot of more discrete/subtile trolls and fanboys than on other forums...
E3 is awesome though but after Wii U launch, PS4 conference and Xbox 720 leaks I don't know if it won't be really really bad

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of OT's, because I'm certain most of them are done by professional viral marketers.

With that said, they're fine after the game release as a dumping ground for comments and especially useful for questions and game play guidance.

Can you give examples of this?

Chû Totoro;53693763 said:
I really don't understand why GAF is so important. It's just people posting gifs and gaming news :p

Seriously, posts after OP are for the majority unnecessary (my posts included of course). So now it's just a gaming news forum with lot of more discrete/subtile trolls and fanboys than on other forums...
E3 is awesome though but after Wii U launch, PS4 conference and Xbox 720 leaks I don't know if it won't be really really bad

Because it has better moderation than almost all other gaming sites out there, it weeds out so much of the junk. It's also just grown so big that alot of people with access to lots of info as well end up here so it helps it become more important than your average open forum. The wait and process of becoming a member also helps stop nonsense from getting in. The industry attention also highlights its importance which draws in more folks in the industry to join it.

Hardest of the hardcore.

Badum pssst.

Ever since I found this site I feel like it is my home. After gaming it is my favorite thing to do, checking neogaf.

One big diverse gaming community, with some interesting individuals. It is all about the games and everything related to that, be it business, sales, game design, etc.

Props to evilore, great job!!

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I just registered and got approved straight away... guess that it was easier to become a member back in the day :)
Not necessarily. I registered last year in July, and got approved in less than 24 hours. Just in time for my birthday (the day before, actually).

speaking of posting gif's, i think this one is a goldmine.
rage mode engage
http://boston.3432.voxcdn.com/files/2013/02/beastmodetoinfinity.gif
WOW.

Hardest of the hardcore.

Badum pssst.

Ever since I found this site I feel like it is my home. After gaming it is my favorite thing to do, checking neogaf.

One big diverse gaming community, with some interesting individuals. It is all about the games and everything related to that, be it business, sales, game design, etc.

Props to evilore, great job!!
Pfffft. Get your priorities straight, dude. Talking about games on GAF is more important than playing them.

not totally joking

Call me selfish, but if I made a website and was offered a seven figure sum for said product... I'd take the money and run! :)

And probably start another forum, but based around cat pictures.

...he has turned down seven-figure offers from large corporations and gaming networks to buy his site.

Sorry, but that's just stupid.

I always wondered what these "large corporations" and "gaming networks" were thinking when they offered to purchase NeoGAF. I suspect under current conditions it's worth every bit of whatever they're offering, but I also think that a huge factor in it being so valuable is that it is a privately owned, independently operated source of news, information and interaction. I just can't see the site continuing to thrive as a gaming forum if it were ever sold to anyone with pockets deep enough to afford it, assuming such a number even exists.

With so much popularity, its GOTTA be time for a site revamp right?

html5 hyper responsive design, animated pngs!

with a documentary too.

custom video player, and gaf radio.

graywolf323

Malka describes NeoGAF as his life’s work. He joined the community when he was fourteen, took it over when he was 19 and has been running it as a full-time job since 2006. He is now 28, and tells us that he has turned down seven-figure offers from large corporations and gaming networks to buy his site.

I honestly didn't know GAF was that old, I thought it only started up in the 2000s

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
With so much popularity, its GOTTA be time for a site revamp right?

html5 hyper responsive design, animated pngs!

with a documentary too.

custom video player, and gaf radio.
Nice try. I've been asking for animated sigs for years -- they make otherwise mediocre forums actually pretty entertaining and interesting. But you'll find that despite the name there's not really much "Neo" in GAF. The Powers That Be would prefer we all remain in The Stone Age.

Kind of interesting when you think about it. Wonder it it's because they feel that they can exert stronger control over us by not letting us express ourselves in many ways, or catching up with a lot of recent innovations in social networking.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Nice try. I've been asking for animated sigs for years -- they make otherwise mediocre forums actually pretty entertaining and interesting. But you'll find that despite the name there's not really much "Neo" in GAF. The Powers That Be would prefer we all remain in The Stone Age.

Kind of interesting when you think about it. Wonder it it's because they feel that they can exert stronger control over us by not letting us express ourselves in many ways, or catching up with a lot of recent innovations in social networking.

the last thing GAF needs is anything more than a static picture and the quality of their posts to express themselves. some people have issues even with that.

Post quality is king and if you can't express yourself in a post your shitty animated sig isn't going to help you

DaBuddaDa

Right, it's a premeditated conspiracy to squelch free speech on a privately owned internet forum. Wait what?

the last thing GAF needs is anything more than a static picture and the quality of their posts to express themselves. some people have issues even with that.

Post quality is king and if you can't express yourself in a post your shitty animated sig isn't going to help you
I don't think he was being serious.

Vire

Amen. The last thing I want is animated signatures.

I would like to see a site redesign though, I love you m0dus but the logo screams of early 2000's. It would be nice to have something a bit more modern.
I have no problem with the site's responsiveness though, GAF is one of the fastest websites I visit. There was a redesign thread a while back, but nothing ever came of it...

Gui_PT

Nope.

Right, it's a premeditated conspiracy to squelch free speech on a privately owned internet forum. Wait what?

Amen. The last thing I want is animated signatures.

I would like to see a site redesign though, I love you m0dus but the logo screams of early 2000's. It would be nice to have something a bit more modern.
I have no problem with the site's responsiveness though, GAF is one of the fastest websites I visit. There was a redesign thread a while back, but nothing ever came of it...

Astrolad'd

They don't want to pay for more servers.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

GAF moderators/Evilore would probably argue that the First Amendment does not apply because of the number of foreigners on here. But even if that's true, shouldn't we demand more as users of the site when it comes to free speech?

Also, think about this: In the years since GAF came out, Facebook, Twitter, and Spotify have all launched. And yet when you read GAF you would barely even know it. Doesn't that seem a little ... wrong/stifling? How do users gain from a select few basically deciding to ignore the last decade of advancements in social media? Because that is what NeoGAF is after all...social media. And that's why these issues matter.

Vire

GAF moderators/Evilore would probably argue that the First Amendment does not apply because of the number of foreigners on here. But even if that's true, shouldn't we demand more as users of the site when it comes to free speech?

Also, think about this: In the years since GAF came out, Facebook, Twitter, and Spotify have all launched. And yet when you read GAF you would barely even know it. Doesn't that seem a little ... wrong/stifling?

But we can say cunt now.

Corto

NeoGAF, partying like it's 1984! ;)

Dude fuck that. I'd D/C everytime I try to read a thread. My internet is poverty as shit to handle 50 animated gifs (excluding img tags).

Top Bottom