• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: Sony’s VR tech will be revealed at GDC

3QlbIF3.jpg

Sony VR and VR Trooper reboot?

Gigatons!!!

Probably means the session will be, ya know...
interesting

Be funny if he said "No point, it'll be boring as hell"
I was referring to him saying he hopes someone records it — despite us having every indication it won't be recorded — not him saying it'll be interesting. :p

Love the image, but I'm actually kind of hoping it isn't VR. I can't imagine it'd be an inexpensive peripheral, meaning there probably won't be many people buying it, meaning many developers probably aren't going to support it.

I'm guessing it'll be like 3-D gaming on consoles. I bought a nice, new 3-D TV about a year before the end of the PS3 generation, and rarely get a chance to use that feature because it's just not something lots of people plopped down money to get into.

Ocaso

Love the image, but I'm actually kind of hoping it isn't VR. I can't imagine it'd be an inexpensive peripheral, meaning many people probably aren't going to buy it, meaning many developers probably are going to support it.

I'm guessing it'll be like 3-D gaming on consoles. I bought a nice, new 3-D TV about a year before the end of the PS3 generation, and rarely get a chance to use that feature because it's just not something lots of people plopped down money to get into.

Maybe, maybe not. 3D was introduced at a time when consoles were barely equipped to handle it, long after their launches. This is the start of a generation, and it's clear Sony has been planning this since long before the PS4 launched. They'll definitely have a plan in place to garner support, and, as a side note, this might rekindle 3DTV support for PS4 games as well since all VR games will be stereo 3D by necessity. Let the hyping continue!

Piggus

Love the image, but I'm actually kind of hoping it isn't VR. I can't imagine it'd be an inexpensive peripheral, meaning there probably won't be many people buying it, meaning many developers probably aren't going to support it.

Once you try VR I can assure you you'll be thinking differently. Even the low res oculus dev kit is an incredible experience.

Man

Still about 26 hours away and it's night in Yurop... Hopefully an announcement will be made prior to this when both EU and NA is up.

Maybe, maybe not. 3D was introduced at a time when consoles were barely equipped to handle it, long after their launches. This is the start of a generation, and it's clear Sony has been planning this since long before the PS4 launched. They'll definitely have a plan in place to garner support, and, as a side note, this might rekindle 3DTV support for PS4 games as well since all VR games will be stereo 3D by necessity. Let the hyping continue!
Also, assuming they include a splitter to prevent you needing to constantly swap cables, people will be able to spectate on the TV, and if you have a 3DTV, they'll be able to do so in 3D. ^^

TomShoe

Banned

3-D is a cheap gimmick to force children to get their parents to plop down an extra $10 at the movie theater to see the latest Pixar film. I bought a 3-D TV years ago, and while the picture looks great, I almost never use the 3-D feature, because it's only good for watching movies.

I feel the main deciding factors on whether VR will have legs depends on two things: Content and Usability.

Zeth

Not very optimistic about this one. I predict lots of disappointment. I think maybe we get some small tidbits or a demo like the Project Natal reveal. But surely nothing concrete. I want to be wrong though.

Russell

Please don't compare VR to 3D; they are two completely different things. I never did give a shit about 3D, but I promise you that VR, if done correctly, will revolutionize interactive entertainment.

Maligna

Banned
3-D is a cheap gimmick to force children to get their parents to plop down an extra $10 at the movie theater to see the latest Pixar film. I bought a 3-D TV years ago, and while the picture looks great, I almost never use the 3-D feature, because it's only good for watching movies.

I feel the main deciding factors on whether VR will have legs depends on two things: Content and Usability.

The difference is 3D was forced upon us. Almost no one asked for it.
With VR, there's actually a demand from consumers.

StuBurns

Banned
It's going to be a slow build up I think. I think pretty much everyone is going to lose their shit when they try VR, but I also think it's going to take a long time till most people have had a chance to try it.

plainr_

Super hyped!

I trust Sony to make a decent looking VR headset. Then again it's GDC so the consumer version might not even be seen for at least a couple more months.

StuBurns

Banned
How was the VR-experience?
I've never used one, but I would have to imagine it's not very good, the Rift DK1, despite being an incredible experience, is still fairly awful technically, and presumably this was a world away from even that. The line up was almost non-existent too.

StuBurns

Banned
Saw one of those at Eurogamer last year, looked moronic.

There was a girl walking around in only a Portal 2 t-shirt and high heels too, should have got her on there, that's the future of monetized eSports.

AwesomeD

Driving the Future of Innovation at Sony Computer Entertainment (Presented by Sony Computer Entertainment America)

Date: Tuesday, March 18
Time: 5:45pm-6:45pm PST

"Join Sony Computer Entertainment for a presentation on innovation at PlayStation® and the future of gaming."

http://schedule.gdconf.com/session-id/828420

I'm assuming this is when the announcement will be made. 24hrs to go.

BobTheSpy

Banned
This conference will determine if I go with Sony's VR solution or Oculus' VR solution. I already have a gaming PC, so tecnically the Rift is cheaper for me, even if I was forced to upgrade ($400 graphics card)... I think I will see which people say is the better experience.

Dugna

maybe somebody should make one of those picture timers? in usual countdown threads...I forget what they are called.

Top Bottom