• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: Sony’s VR tech will be revealed at GDC

ClearData

Should their be an official thread for the conference? Right now I'm seeing this one and the Forbes article thread get a lot of traffic. Maybe the conversations can be consolidated?

Edit: Already happened. lol

BjDNLIiCEAAeJhq.jpg

Tweeted by Geoff Keighley

"To achieve sight we need a high res, high framerate, low-persistence display. Luckily we have a lot of experience in this field."
~Dr. Richard Marks (emphasis mine)

:D

EVIL

My prediction:

- Sony VR is real
- Only demonstrating rough prototype, consumer model will be years off (GDC is a developer oriented conference)
- Sony's stance on indies was partly to create internal roadmap to support open VR software experimentation.
- Delivers "presence" and promises unique experiences made for VR
- Invested R&D into creating a unique screen that has higher pixel density in the center then on the edges, wants to push that technology further and wants to produce these screens for other VR hardware developers
- 2 models, one for high end VR for enthusiasts, other for mainstream but at a more attractive price
- No mention of price range
- Demonstration of SDK, and promises SDK to be available to registered sony developers within months. Hardware development kits available later this year
- Top sony studios already experimenting with internal hardware kits.
- Sony not thinking PS4 exclusive, want to compete with Oculus, hoping to drive technology forward.
- Second product is a move technology based input device in the form of a wristband with a glow strip all around to track rough hand and arm motions. Product has sensors on the inside that read subtle micro movements from the tendons and small muscles in your wrist and can accurately predict finger movements based on that data.

Lets see how much of my predictions where on the mark

6 of the 11 correct.. not bad.

Top Bottom