• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: NX prototype had a 6.2" 720p multi-touch screen, 2 USB ports on dock

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hope it's not a capacitive screen. It's completely pointless for a handheld that has physical control inputs, and it sucks for things like drawing. 540p would probably have been better for the rumored specs.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
720p is better than expected. I was assuming 540p for easy scalability.

That's a joke. This obsession on GAF with 540p being "perfect" is silly. Even the lowest budget devices rarely go below 720p at this point. Especially anything with a tablet or phone form factor.

If you meant the size, 6.2inch is pretty close to common cell phone size now. For some that's too big, but it's not exactly unusual.

The power requirement(and heat output) to render 720p on that screen will negatively affect the quality of the visuals the device can output. Phones aren't rendering Wii U level games at 720p-1080p, not even close. The hope was that this thing would be able to deliever visuals similar to the last gen consoles, but with a 720p 6.2 inch screen we're probably going to get something closer to Wii.

First HD handheld which is nice. 6.2 inches is pretty large, iPhone 6+ is probably big enough, but if the NX needs that for the chip size and better then that's fine.
Breath of the Wild is going to look so good on that.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
For the record, this is better than what the vita had.

My job here is done.

Actually the release Vita had a gorgeous OLED screen with beautiful blacks and colours. I really doubt the Nintendo screen will look as good.

I was hoping for 540p and a ~5 inch screen. 720p seems a bit much. I think 540p is more likely.

And lol at people in here still disappointed at 720p, as unlikely as it is. These are the folks who will never be pleased, made up their mind to be disappointed with NX no matter what, don't consider the difference between a cellphone and legit game portable game system, or all three.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The power requirement to render 720p on that screen will negatively affect the quality of the visuals the device can output. Phones aren't rendering Wii U level games at 720p-1080p, not even close. The hope was that this thing would be able to deliever visuals similar to the last gen consoles, but with a 720p 6.2 inch screen we're probably going to get something closer to Wii.

Can we quit with the totally baseless hyperbole?

Shiggy

I really hope it's not a capacitive screen. It's completely pointless for a handheld that has physical control inputs, and it sucks for things like drawing. 540p would probably have been better for the rumored specs.

You are supposed to also use the touch screen without any physical control inputs, which can be detached apparently. And for usability reasons, capacitive screens are much better (just touch the screen, no pressure needed; support of gestures).

When the only potential culprit is the Art Academy series, it's easy to see why they would go for a capacitive screen.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Because comparing a fixed screen with something you can bring closer to your face is a fair comparison.

I have seen a screen like this and was underwhelmed in 2013, I shudder to think how outdated this console will be in 2020.

Good thing this device is primarily for playing games and not reading webpages or other types of documents.

J@hranimo

Banned
Yeah the OG Vita's screen was fantastic, they switched it up later cause of costs and it wasn't selling like they wanted.

We still don't know the specs of the machine bit yet I see some harping about "it'll look bad at that resolution!" so as usual I'm out. Enjoy the discussions.

BigEmil

>720p....

tumblr_m2hmifZyHO1r2za8b.gif~c200

I really really hope not

Modern phones are more advanced multi-function devices that play complex videogames, calls + text services, cameras, are internet capable tablets; and almost everyone already has had more than one. This is the type of device and environment Nintendo is competing against, not it's previous single use handheld in a world full of flip phones. People will not carry two ergonomically similar devices if one has more functionality in the real world. This is why Apple phased out the traditional ipod after the iphone became mature. And while we are on that, the ipod touch is currently being sold for $199. Why would the average person purchase a single purpose handheld with outdated technical specs when they could buy an Apple ipod touch or simply give their children their old phone?
I wasn't addressing the market, I was addressing people who say 720p is a disappointing resolution because their phones have a higher one. It is a terrible comparison because a phone costs way more and can't run complex games.

Totakeke

Take the Wii U Gamepad outside, sit down somewhere and act like you're playing it.
Surely people use tablets outside the house so what's the problem???
I don't think it has to fit in your pocket to be portable.

For one, it is far more inconvenient to carry such a device around even with a bag. For a device that's supposed to appeal to the Japanese market, such a device seems counterintuitive.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Because comparing a fixed screen with something you can bring closer to your face is a fair comparison.

I have seen a screen like this and was underwhelmed in 2013, I shudder to think how outdated this console will be in 2020.

You don't understand how tech works, but it's fine. By 2020 most probably there will be at least a revision out for this console.

Plum

When you're playing on a 3DS or Vita how often do you bring it straight up to your face? I can imagine that would get quite uncomfortable after a while. How often do you read, watch movies and look at high-resolution images on those devices as well?

This isn't a phone, all these comparisons to phones make no sense. If Nintendo was releasing a dedicated phone then 720p would be highly outdated, but they're not.

TunaLover

I was hoping for 540p and a ~5 inch screen. 720p seems a bit much. I think 540p is more likely.

And lol at people in here still disappointed at 720p, as unlikely as it is. These are the folks who will never be pleased, made up their mind to be disappointed with NX no matter what, don't consider the difference between a cellphone and legit game portable game system, or all three.
No, we are not dissapointed with a 540p screen, we ARE dissapointed to have to play that same content in a TV.

Its interesting how standards for phone and tablet screens are much higher than computers. Like there's lots of laptops that have 720p screens and are 3-4x the size of a phone. But people freak out if you can kind of see the pixels on a phone. I guess it's because you hold it closer to your face due to there being no keyboard?

King_Moc

Banned
720p for portable console quality games is fine. What's wrong with people? You think they're making a handheld PS4???

The real question is does something exist to get it to native 1080p on a TV screen.

Its interesting how standards for phone and tablet screens are much higher than computers. Like there's lots of laptops that have 720p screens and are 3-4x the size of a phone. But people freak out if you can kind of see the pixels on a phone. I guess it's because you hold it closer to your face due to there being no keyboard?

Isn't it for nice, clean looking text?

Rodin

Are they finally shipping 100% of the new 3DS systems w/ IPS panels at least?

Apparently, yeah. I read that the latest New 3DS/N3DS XL ship with IPS panels both for the top and the bottom screen. Not that IPS is that good anyway, OLED would be ideal now that the tech is better (and possibly cheaper) compared to what Vita used, but AMVA would be decent at least.

720p for portable console quality games is fine. What's wrong with people? You think they're making a handheld PS4???

The real question is does something exist to get it to native 1080p on a TV screen.

Depends on the game. The Wii U can already render games in 1080p, i guess that less demanding titles can be rendered in full hd and downsampled on the portable screen if you aren't playing on the TV (a bit like what happens with the Wii U gamepad).

Modern phones are more advanced multi-function devices that play complex videogames, calls + text services, cameras, are internet capable tablets; and almost everyone already has had more than one. This is the type of device and environment Nintendo is competing against, not it's previous single use handheld in a world full of flip phones. People will not carry two ergonomically similar devices if one has more functionality in the real world. This is why Apple phased out the traditional ipod after the iphone became mature. Furthermore, the ipod touch is currently being sold for £159/$199. Why would the average person purchase a single purpose handheld with outdated technical specs when they could buy an Apple ipod touch or simply give their children their old phone?
nothing in the NX is outdated except for potentially it's screen resolution.
Rumored to use Pascal Tegra which isn't even out yet.
above also means it's using one of the latest arm designs for SoC. this exceeds any current smart phone.
every other aspect matches smartphones.
price is likely to be in the 200-250 range.
launch dock will at least allow you to take your games to the big screen and according to this rumor support two USB devices.
future revisions of the dock are likely to increase computational power going by the SCD patent.
basically, it's not fair to call the NX outdated spec wise to smart phones by the rumors. it is fair to say its resolution is lower than your average smartphone.

The power requirement(and heat output) to render 720p on that screen will negatively affect the quality of the visuals the device can output. Phones aren't rendering Wii U level games at 720p-1080p, not even close. The hope was that this thing would be able to deliever visuals similar to the last gen consoles, but with a 720p 6.2 inch screen we're probably going to get something closer to Wii.

Nonsense. You don't even know the chipset going into this thing. If the Tegra rumors are true, this is exactly what it's built for.

By your logic we should scale it down to a 144p screen, maybe we'll make it up to a PS4.

I've seen games run at 720p on the original Nvidia Shield from 2 years ago that look much better than Wii games. Technology has come a long way.

gogogow

Modern phones are more advanced multi-function devices that play complex videogames, calls + text services, cameras, are internet capable tablets; and almost everyone already has had more than one. This is the type of device and environment Nintendo is competing against, not it's previous single use handheld in a world full of flip phones. People will not carry two ergonomically similar devices if one has more functionality in the real world. This is why Apple phased out the traditional ipod after the iphone became mature. Furthermore, the ipod touch is currently being sold for € 239/$199. Why would the average person purchase a single purpose handheld with outdated technical specs when they could buy an Apple ipod touch or simply give their children their old phone?

Funny you mention Apple when they for the longest time didn't even have 720p resolution for their phones. And since when is a Tegra Parker chip outdated? Fucking lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom