• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: NX prototype had a 6.2" 720p multi-touch screen, 2 USB ports on dock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurdel

Banned
When you're playing on a 3DS or Vita how often do you bring it straight up to your face? I can imagine that would get quite uncomfortable after a while. How often do you read, watch movies and look at high-resolution images on those devices as well?

This isn't a phone, all these comparisons to phones make no sense. If Nintendo was releasing a dedicated phone then 720p would be highly outdated, but they're not.

I can complain about screen resolution all day if you want, no matter the platform.

I guess we all have different standards.

Apparently, yeah. I read that the latest New 3DS/N3DS XL have both IPS panels. Not that IPS is that good anyway, OLED would be ideal now that the tech is better compared to what Vita used, but AMVA would be decent at least.

That's good at least. I know there's better stuff out there, but I shudder at the thought of buying a new console w/ a TN screen.

Its interesting how standards for phone and tablet screens are much higher than computers. Like there's lots of laptops that have 720p screens and are 3-4x the size of a phone. But people freak out if you can kind of see the pixels on a phone. I guess it's because you hold it closer to your face due to there being no keyboard?

I think that's exactly why it matters. Resolution of a screen and its effect on how the image looks is directly related to how far you are away from it. There are plenty of situations when you might be literally inches away from a phone; rarely that in front of a monitor or TV. That said, most phones aren't being used to the fullest extent of their screens anyway because of the needed processing and battery power.

Web pages, images, and text looks really nice, but you're not getting that fidelity in streaming video or games.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Its interesting how standards for phone and tablet screens are much higher than computers. Like there's lots of laptops that have 720p screens and are 3-4x the size of a phone. But people freak out if you can kind of see the pixels on a phone. I guess it's because you hold it closer to your face due to there being no keyboard?

Is pure marketing. I guess the iPhone 6S plus is outdated since my older Note 4 had 70% more pixels, let alone the regular 6S.

Plum

I can complain about screen resolution all day if you want, no matter the platform.

I guess we all have different standards.

Exactly, and I can debate with you all day about how what you're wanting is illogical in real-world gaming scenarios.

USB? lol Nintendo, welcome to 2005. Lol Nintendo, always behind times.

Thunderbolt 3 baby!

Yeah!

mlIbMmu.gif

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I'm really curious what games are people who claim 720p is weak playing on their high resolution smartphones. Pick the best looking one, so we can all laugh at its assets and framerate/rendering resolution.

Oregano

What's the best looking mobile game and what resolution does it run at?

Mobius FF is the best I've seen first hand and it's nowhere close to Breath of the Wild even at Max Resolution doesn't look like it's running natively at my Nvidia Shield's 1980x1200 screen resolution.

Holy shit this is what I needed! I feel refueled with this new rumor. :D

Man 720p for a handheld is soooo great! And this dock had two USB ports at the time means it serves a bigger function??

Perhaps I should use the term "Pocketable" then?

Easily take-around-able without requiring a backpack, purse, or other accessory.

Tbh I don't consider my 3DS XL pocketable. Can it fit in my pockets? Yeah, maybe my shorts pockets. But even then it would weigh me down and constantly bump my leg. Probably can't fit in all of my jeans pockets either. What we have currently isn't exactly practical.

Rodin

When you're playing on a 3DS or Vita how often do you bring it straight up to your face? I can imagine that would get quite uncomfortable after a while. How often do you read, watch movies and look at high-resolution images on those devices as well?

This isn't a phone, all these comparisons to phones make no sense. If Nintendo was releasing a dedicated phone then 720p would be highly outdated, but they're not.

Well i wouldn't call the iPhone outdated, but yeah. You get the point.

On a side note, i'd like to know what people think about the 499$, 1136x640 iPhone SE :)

That's good at least. I know there's better stuff out there, but I shudder at the thought of buying a new console w/ a TN screen.
Yup, agreed. TN screen would actually be something to complain about, not 720p res on a 6" screen.

What's the best looking mobile game you have played on your high resolution phone?
Something sub res that can't compare to vita launch titles lol
Biggest worries here should be Nintendo's awful love for TN panels and the way sub-720p games will look

I doubt there's going to be any sub res game, this thing has to play titles on the TV screen as well.

And Nintendo already ditched TN with the new 3DS, which now ships with IPS panels for both screens from what i've read recently. IPS isn't ideal for me, but at least is not TN.

DavidDesu

Multi touch! Finally. So a nice glass screen, none of this bendy plastic crap! :D

Better be a decent IPS screen, unlikely to be OLED. Sounds like a good screen and 720p a great compromise. Will still look decent enough without requiring huge pixel pushing power like modern phone screens.

Colour me interested.

Delio

I guess it would be more of a tablet than what I was expecting size wise. Ah well I play my 3DS a lot at home anyways so im not that fussed about it.

Only thing : 720p monster hunter + to be able to play it on tv seamlessly...

This is also what I really want. It really never felt right to play Monster Hunter on the 3DS.

I know someone who cannot play Monster Hunter on their 3DS due to a neck injury. I am really hoping, this person can finally be able to play Monster Hunter with me without straining their neck. This screen size is a tiny bit worry some in that regard.

720p? The resolution on my phone screen is higher than that. Nintendo, always behind the times. Just give me a PC in a portable shell. Mouse, keyboard and all. Is that really so hard?

/s

Plum

I mean, I know what I am talking about because I have used such a screen before, unlike you.

Using the screens (which I've also done by the way so you don't even have that point) does not mean you're qualified to talk about whether those screens can actually translate to real-life gaming performance.

As has been said time and time again, we are NOT comparing phones, the NX needs to at the very least run BotW at an acceptable 30fps to make sure it's not completely trounced by the Wii U version. Show me a less than $300 phone that can run something like that at 1080p and you'll clearly know a lot more about technology than me.

kennyamr

So basically...

Just more rumors that are probably wrong or maybe I'm lucky and they are right after all.

Man, I want to spread some rumors too, it seems to be fun.

Kudo

Biggest worries here should be Nintendo's awful love for TN panels and the way sub-720p games will look

This is very true too, 720p screen doesn't confirm that all the games will be running 720p in portable mode anyway.
It also could be streaming at 720p like Wii U does? That would be even bigger bummer, but if it's supposed to be portable don't see that happening.

Davey Cakes

Portable to me means you can take it with you anywhere, not that it will fit in pockets.
Exactly.

The DS Lite was probably the last pocket handheld from Nintendo. Everything since, especially considering the focus on XL editions (which are popular), leads me to believe Nintendo finally said "let's go in the on-the-go tablet direction this time."

Kibbles

Having games run 720p sounds fine but the display should be 1080 imo, Upscaling would still look good. The screen door effect is real at 720 on a screen that size.

I definitely trust Emily. It'll be nice in this topic once the really good speculation begins lol.

I wonder how long ago this prototype was. Maybe she'll clarify later.

daveo42

Banned
720p for the mobile screen is fine. Let's just hope that upscales alright at home instead of being stuck at that resolution. That size though definitely doesn't screen portable by any stretch with the extra controller bits bolted on.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Tbh I don't consider my 3DS XL pocketable. Can it fit in my pockets? Yeah, maybe my shorts pockets. But even then it would weigh me down and constantly bump my leg. Probably can't fit in all of my jeans pockets either. What we have currently isn't exactly practical.

I agree, the 3DS XL is hilariously oversized.

That's why I'm glad this guy exists:

latest

Davey Cakes

Wow. She seems extremely unsure.
Like "I don't know if it is but..."
"It might change idk.."
"It might, it might not.."
Would you want to post these rumors with full confidence? She's just giving herself wiggle room because the details aren't confirmed straight from Nintendo.

imjust1n

Banned
lol people are expecting high end console and high end screen resolution for dirt cheap. Do not expect the most. IF you keep telling yourself that you will be surpised when it is shown.

epicmartin7

Neo Member
Better prepare more windows because shit's going to go down when it finally gets revealed. It'll be annnyyy minute now. Just keep waiting.

That's what I'm looking forward to actually than more rumors. I'm tired of all these rumors tbh as it feels so close to the actual reveal lol. I just want something from Nintendo xD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom