• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: NX prototype had a 6.2" 720p multi-touch screen, 2 USB ports on dock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurdel

Banned
Here are a few choice quotes from cell phine reviewers in 2013:

Engadget said:
When we mentioned that the Mega uses a 720p display, you likely already assumed that it would offer a horrible viewing experience -- pixel density aficionados will scoff at the phone's 233 ppi, and indeed, we had the exact same expectation going into this review. However, it's not actually as bad as we had originally imagined. If you look close enough at the screen, the pixels definitely come out to say hello, but larger screens are also designed for longer-distance viewing than your run-of-the-mill 5-incher. So, from an ideal distance, the Mega is surprisingly decent. We would never turn down a 1080p display when offered to us, of course, but our overall experience wasn't nearly as disappointing as anticipated.

CNET said:
That lower screen resolution is a noticeable hit -- just 720p HD (1,280x720 pixels) versus the 1080p HD (1,920x1,080) we see on many premium phones with 5-inch screens and above. Most native icons scale to continue looking crisp on the Mega's display, and Web sites look fine, even better than OK since there's a lot of room to read full desktop and mobile Web pages alike. Yet hold the Mega next to a phone with a higher-resolution display (even another LCD like the HTC One or iPhone 5) and you'll see that the same streaming video has much more detail, richer color, and a lot less noise than on the Mega.

What's the best looking mobile game you have played on your high resolution phone?

I currently own an iPhone 6, so imagining these games with bigger pixels is not enticing at all.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I currently own an iPhone 6, so imagining these games with bigger pixels is not enticing at all.

You're not answering the question. What game (name one) on your iPhone 6 do you thing it has decent enough graphics to be played on a gaming device in 2016?

Well i wouldn't call the iPhone outdated, but yeah. You get the point.

On a side note, i'd like to know what people think about the 499$, 1136x640 iPhone SE :)

Yup, agreed. TN screen would actually be something to complain about, not 720p res on a 6" screen.

Something sub res that can't compare to vita launch titles lol

I doubt there's going to be any sub res game, this thing has to play titles on the TV screen as well.

And Nintendo already ditched TN with the new 3DS, which now ships with IPS panels for both screens from what i've read recently. IPS isn't ideal for me, but at least is not TN.

No, new 3DS are not shipping exclusively with IPS now. I literally just bought my first N3DS thanks to the new bundle and my top is IPS, bottom is TN. Others reporting full TN units. Also, there's no guarantee the handheld will run games at 720p for all titles. Similar to the Vita, I imagine we'll see sub native res games for portability

Genio88

This get me hyped as hell, i hope they'll go no more than that with the screen dimension, this way they should be able to keep the overall device size(with gamepad attached) acceptable for a handheld device which i want to carry around with me, also 720p resolution is pretty good, of course most phone nowadays have at least a 1080p screen resolution, but that means nothing, having to render 1080p games would be too hard for an handheld device, also 720p in a 6 inch screen is a fine DPI, and will allow to push better overall graphics and frame rate...
Now just give us the official announcement Nintendo

Calm Mind

720p sounds expensive

or battery draining

or resource intensive

or not-nintendo

720p screens are relatively cheap nowadays. The battery life is a cause for concern. If Nvidia is involved as rumored, that shouldn't pose a problem. Don't underestimate Nintendo!

Isn't the Gamepad resolution low? Games look really good on it. I'm not sure how big the Gamepad screen is though.

Gamepad resolution is 480p. But what makes it even worse is that you never really see it displaying its own content. It's always streamed, so it's compressed.

Plum

None of the reviews you posted mention gaming performance. The NX is a gaming device, not a video streaming device, not a document reading device, a GAMING device. 1080p isn't a simple monetary like it may be if your making a phone that only needs to render text and pictures, 1080p means totally overhauling either your specs (thus making it way too expensive) or the kind of games it can play (thus making the games themselves look and run like utter crap).

Varjet

Today I learned on Gaf that all you need to play 1080p games on a mobile device is a 1080p screen.

Some people will never be satisfied.

Uh... okay. I don't understand how Nintendo can be arrogant enough to believe anyone would buy a handheld that can't even do 4K in 2017. Get with the times pls. I think I'll wait until it has at least 500 games I'm interested in.

Aaron D.

> Notices 2 NX rumors at once
W2ClsWu9rSLkc.gif

Damn, that dude is like 2 cm away from smashing the top of his skull open.

Woof.

MUnited83

For you.
I can complain about screen resolution all day if you want, no matter the platform.

I guess we all have different standards.
Sure, but you gotta take into account the actual realities of hardware no? A 1080p handheld running games like Breadth of the Wild would last 2 hours at most.

Today I learned on Gaf that all you need to play 1080p games on a mobile device is a 1080p screen.

Yup, that's what happened with the stupid phone screen resolution race to make up for the lack of novelty. People think their phone can run games at native res.

Sure, but you gotta take into account the actual realities of hardware no? A 1080p handheld running games like Breadth of the Wild would last 2 hours at most.

And bandwith starving. And throttling.

Gamepad resolution is 480p. But what makes it even worse is that you never really see it displaying its own content. It's always streamed, so it's compressed.
Yeah that's right. It's streamed from the Wii U.

Uh... okay. I don't understand how Nintendo can be arrogant enough to believe anyone would buy a handheld that can't even do 4K in 2017. Get with the times pls. I think I'll wait until it has at least 500 games I'm interested in.

Lmao stop you're making me cry. :D

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
No, no, no, no. Don't play that res game, nintendo. Push for higher-quality pixels, not more.

Actually you do see the native 480p - wiiU gamepad is a computer on its own, so in the quick-boot menu, at login and in the tv remote menu.

javac

No shit a 1080p screen looks better than a 720p screen. The point is this thing needs to render games like BOTW at an acceptable framerate on the go with decent battery life (5 hour MINIMUM which is potentially already pushing it which is sad). It's called balance.

Isn't the Gamepad resolution low? Games look really good on it. I'm not sure how big the Gamepad screen is though.

I personally think games on the gamepad look terrible. It's a mixture of the low resolution and overall low quality of the screen. Everything's a muddy, soft mess. You lose so much great detail when you compare it to what you see on the TV.

Regardless though, it's a 480p. For a screen that size, I think that stretches the limits of acceptable.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
LOL at those in here with the phone screen comparisons. Come on. Battery life, framerate, and native resolution issues are involved here, and I guarantee these will still look fantastic because of the ppi.

MuchoMalo

Banned
I'm really curious what games are people who claim 720p is weak playing on their high resolution smartphones. Pick the best looking one, so we can all laugh at its assets and framerate/rendering resolution.

So, I just want to mention something: T-Mobile USA (#3 US mobile carrier) is introducing a new "unlimited" plan with videos limited to 480p. The reason they get away with it? They already had it locked to that by default with a toggle to enable HD, and only 1% of customers disabled that toggle. That should say a lot about how much people really care about those high resolutions. Now, you could use this argue that sub-native gaming should be okay and thus they should go with a 1080p screen and play most games in 720p you'd still need to find the utility of it.

MUnited83

For you.
Yup, that's what happened with the stupid phone screen resolution race to make up for the lack of novelty. People think their phone can run games at native res.

And bandwith starving. And throttling.
Yap. Many games trying to run at 1080p would run like shit. Seems such a better option to go 720p: you can have the games run better and push more graphical effects outside of resolution.
BUT, what glorious 2 hours it would be, RIGHT, RIGHT?
That they would, that they would :p

Kurdel

Banned
Your iPhone runs Breath of the Wild!?

You expect my 2 year old phone to out perform the NX?

You're not answering the question. What game (name one) on your iPhone 6 do you thing it has decent graphics for a gaming device in 2016?

Well, none, because the platform is fragmented to the point where marquis games (like Mobius Final Fantasy) look like fucking horse shit and do not push the hardware.

Some of the Gameloft stuff looks miles better than Wii games though.

Anth0ny

i thought games on the gamepad looked like dog shit

540p on a smaller screen seemed okay to me, as rumors were suggesting before

Oregano

You expect my 2 year old phone to out perform the NX?

Well, none, because the platform is fragmented to the point where marquis games (like Mobius Final Fantasy) look like fucking horse shit and do not push the hardware.

Some of the Gameloft stuff looks miles better than Wii games though.

But how do those Gameloft games compare to Vita games running on five year old hardware?

Rodin

It's funny that they mention the iPhone 5 as a "higher res screen", when it is 1136x640. Yes, it's smaller, but you keep the bigger phone farther from your face.

Also, your iPhone 6 has a pretty similar res.

No, new 3DS are not shipping exclusively with IPS now. I literally just bought my first N3DS thanks to the new bundle and my top is IPS, bottom is TN. Others reporting full TN units.
Thanks for clarifying. Is it possible that these units are older systems repackaged? Because i'm pretty sure i read that every FE Fates limited edition and the newly produced N3DS ship with full IPS units. But even if that isn't the case for every single unit produced, there's no reason to automatically assume that Nintendo will use TN again in their new system. It's not impossible, and it's something that worries me way more than resolution, but it's also unlikely imho.

Also, there's no guarantee the handheld will run games at 720p for all titles. Similar to the Vita, I imagine we'll see sub native res games for portability
Nah, that's guaranteed. Vita has sub native res titles because its SoC isn't powerful enough to render complex games with "modern" effects at 540p. NX has more than enough power to render titles at 720p considering that the vastly less powerful Wii U (from the rumors at least) already does that.

No, no, no, no. Don't play that res game, nintendo. Push for higher-quality pixels, not more.

Actually you do see the native 480p - wiiU gamepad is a computer on its own, so in the quick-boot menu, at login and in the tv remote menu.

Yeah, I meant that when I said you never really see it. Language fault here, sorry. In any case, when people actually see regular content on it, it's streamed with that horrible compression.

This rumor adds to the evidence that perhaps the chip will only have 1 power state, and that the dock will be nothing more that an input device for the TV and for USB ports.

This is disappointing. For console people, this means that most likely we aren't going to be seeing more than 2 or 3 times WiiU power. Handheld gamers will be happy, especially considering Sony has no desire to continue the Vita.

I did want to play BotW at a native res on my TV though.

timshundo

Does anyone have a Surface Book? Can you tell me what happens when you're playing a graphically-demanding game and then disconnect the keyboard/discrete gpu while playing? Does the game know to pause and then lowers the graphics quality on it's own? Does the game crash? Does the game restart itself?

Things to ponder when thinking about the possibility of an external GPU in this supposed docking station.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom