• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: NX prototype had a 6.2" 720p multi-touch screen, 2 USB ports on dock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, none, because the platform is fragmented to the point where marquis games (like Mobius Final Fantasy) look like fucking horse shit and do not push the hardware.

Some of the Gameloft stuff looks miles better than Wii games though.

Wow. That's a significant shift of the goal posts.

Now the games look like garbage on phones due to fragmentation but they stack up favorably to a console from 2006?

This rumor adds to the evidence that perhaps the chip will only have 1 power state, and that the dock will be nothing more that an input device for the TV and for USB ports.

This is disappointing. For console people, this means that most likely we aren't going to be seeing more than 2 or 3 times WiiU power. Handheld gamers will be happy, especially considering Sony has no desire to continue the Vita.

I did want to play BotW at a native res on my TV though.
Not necessarily, it means NX will likely be 720p, though I can see some games trying to be more. The more modern chips should be able to outperform Wii U by quite a bit

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
You expect my 2 year old phone to out perform the NX?
Exactly, they are not the same games.

Doom 2016 streamed to my 720p Nvidia shield looks way better than any mobile game, encoding artefacts notwithstanding. I also tried AssCreed Unity max settings streamed to my Note 4 at 1440p at high bit rate and that was incredibly beautiful, but sadly lag made it unplayable and stuffing a 6Tf+ GPU on a handheld is not feasible atm.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Well, none, because the platform is fragmented to the point where marquis games (like Mobius Final Fantasy) look like fucking horse shit and do not push the hardware.

Some of the Gameloft stuff looks miles better than Wii games though.

You still haven't named the one game that you think it looks decent. No, the blame is not only on the game developers for looking like horse shit. At it seems that you know it seeing how much you avoid to answer. Which makes your whole complaining about the resolution trolling. Or you really don't understand how games work. And it's simple to explain. PS4 is big, noisy and hot box and barely able to run games at 1080p60fps and you're asking from a device so much smaller (and supposedly quieter and that should not burn your hands - like most of the smartphones do when running games) to outpace it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This rumor adds to the evidence that perhaps the chip will only have 1 power state, and that the dock will be nothing more that an input device for the TV and for USB ports.

This is disappointing. For console people, this means that most likely we aren't going to be seeing more than 2 or 3 times WiiU power. Handheld gamers will be happy, especially considering Sony has no desire to continue the Vita.

Any thoughts on what the dock is used for? She said it had two USB ports.

If the SCD patents are utilized in the future (and I think they definitely will be), the dock could be upgraded later down the line to increase power of the system when docked.

Kurdel

Banned
Wow. That's a significant shift of the goal posts.

Now the games look like garbage on phones due to fragmentation but they stack up favorably to a console from 2006?

To be fair, being asked to provide software to justify a hardware preference is pretty stupid.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Emily Rogers? Grain of salt.

I'm just glad she's putting out these real, concrete predictions instead of vague bullshit. Makes it a lot more exciting, and it'll be fun to see if they pan out. She's putting her reputation on the line. We'll see soon how it pans out!

Genio88

Really guys, 720p is a good deal here, first of all for a 6 inch display 720p gives an acceptable DPI, also we are talking about Nintendo here, i expected even less, that will allow NX to have a better battery life, lower price and overall better performance and effects in games, since we are always talking of a mobile hardware powered likely by a Tegra processor...And i talk as a PC gamer who always wants the best resolution available, but here talking about Nintendo next Handheld i think the specs are right

ryan-ts

Nothing is confirmed from this rumour. Might want to wait a bit before becoming disappointed.

OmegaFax

So, you want either sub-Wii U graphics or sub-native games? Just so it can match phones?

No. Did not say a thing about gaming or imply components dictate the quality of the game. I said that 720p displays were a passable component in 2012. I'm just stating cost and common components today.

If we follow your logic, saying they'll go 720p is a generous prospect. Nintendo has enough talent and resources to do 1080p on a mobile hybrid.

Anth0ny

just had a genius idea

nx has 2 usb ports

which is hilariously little

the solution?

BRING BACK MULTITAPS

now you have 6 usb ports! enough to play 8 player smash and plug in an external hard drive

$40 a pop

If the SCD patents are utilized in the future (and I think they definitely will be), the dock could be upgraded later down the line to increase power of the system when docked.
Yeah, I really hope the SCD plays a part here.

Also, Emily said the MCV article about GameFreak working on the NX has truth behind it too I read somewhere else. Not sure if this is true, I don't have access to her Twitter.

Thraktor

Assuming the rumour's true, and nothing changes from dev kits to final hardware, you'd be looking at 236 PPI, which is a pretty nice spot to be in for a handheld (going much above that gives pretty poor returns to scale for the increased computational burden).

In comparison to some common modern displays:

Dell P2715Q 27" 4K Monitor - 163 PPI
MS Surface 3 - 213 PPI
Apple Retina iMac - 218 PPI
Apple Retina MacBook/MBP - 220-227 PPI
Nintendo NX (rumoured) - 236 PPI
Apple iPad Air/Pro - 264 PPI
MS Surface Pro 4 - 267 PPI
Apple iPhone 6s - 326 PPI
Samsung Galaxy S7 - 575 PPI

I see many people complaining about the MacBook's screen not being sharp enough, so to be sitting between that and an iPad is a decent enough place to be. Particularly so when you consider that, unlike the other devices on this list, the NX will rarely be used to view static, high-contrast content (i.e. text), but rather fast moving, lower contrast visuals (i.e. games), which are far less demanding in terms of sharpness.

levyjl1988

Banned
720p, so much for future proof. Once 4k displays on phones come around this NX will be easily forgotten again. 4k displays will be a thing especially for VR on phones that simply magnify everything.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Would be the perfect system for me, of it gets Japanese 3rd party support and Nintendo keeps online free.

And bring all previous Gens via VC to this system.

Steam/NX don't wanna have to buy more hardware tbh.
720p, so much for future proof. Once 4k displays on phones come around this NX will be easily forgotten again. 4k displays will be a thing especially for VR on phones that simply magnify everything.
lol

Just like the 3DS is forgotten because of 2k screen mobile phones.

Then again why play Zelda BotW on NX if you could play Clash of Clans in 4K instead.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I think Breath of the Wild will look largely identical on NX and Wii U, right down to a 1280x720 resolution. Should run better with the more horsepower we are presuming is in the NX, but I don't think Nintendo is scaling their assets up to a higher level too much. The game wasn't planned for NX from the start.

4k would be incredibly expensive in terms of processing power and battery life. This is a portable console, not a phone. I'm not surprised they went for the bare minimum for HD.

Yeah, I really hope the SCD plays a part here.

Also, Emily said the MCV article about GameFreak working on the NX has truth behind it too I read somewhere else. Not sure if this is true, I don't have access to her Twitter.

She did say that, yeah.

"4) MCV's report about GameFreak being involved with NX has some truth to it."

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

What do you think it's the best looking game on your smartphone?

Any thoughts on what the dock is used for? She said it had two USB ports.

I'm guessing the USB ports could be used for a variety of things, like external storage, media playback from external storage, connecting a keyboard, etc... Not that different from a Wii U, really.

The dock station will obviously only act as a TV upscaler for the mobile device.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Yup, that's what happened with the stupid phone screen resolution race to make up for the lack of novelty. People think their phone can run games at native res.

And bandwith starving. And throttling.

Yeah, that's another thing. NX isn't going to be able to have bandwidth above 50 GB/s in all likelihood. You can't exactly make 1080p a requirement with that.

Assuming the rumour's true, and nothing changes from dev kits to final hardware, you'd be looking at 236 PPI, which is a pretty nice spot to be in for a handheld (going much above that gives pretty poor returns to scale for the increased computational burden).

In comparison to some common modern displays:

Dell P2715Q 27" 4K Monitor - 163 PPI
MS Surface 3 - 213 PPI
Apple Retina iMac - 218 PPI
Apple Retina MacBook/MBP - 220-227 PPI
Nintendo NX (rumoured) - 236 PPI
Apple iPad Air/Pro - 264 PPI
MS Surface Pro 4 - 267 PPI
Apple iPhone 6s - 326 PPI
Samsung Galaxy S7 - 575 PPI

I see many people complaining about the MacBook's screen not being sharp enough, so to be sitting between that and an iPad is a decent enough place to be. Particularly so when you consider that, unlike the other devices on this list, the NX will rarely be used to view static, high-contrast content (i.e. text), but rather fast moving, lower contrast visuals (i.e. games), which are far less demanding in terms of sharpness.

For the record, Vita's screen has a PPI rating of 221, and everyone here still raves about how amazingly good it looks. Kinda funny.

Genio88

Is 720p good enough for head mounted vr?

Not at all, actually even 1080p is still bad(i tried it) but really that's not what NX wll aim at, VR is still too expensive, both performances and money wise, Vive and Oculus "flops" are the proof, and im sure Sony will regret a bit PS VR lauch this year, still too early for VR in my opinion

Neoxon

Again, pushing more pixels for the sake of it isn't a good thing for a dedicated gaming handheld. Plus it'd drive the price up to inhuman levels.

Kurdel

Banned
Not when the hardware you are talking about has as only scope to run the said software.

Telling people they are wrong for having preferences is beyond condescending.

There is nothing more to add, I prefer higher resolutions and would be dissapointed.

I will still buy it, of course.

I love 4k. I love my 4k tv. But we are years from having a phone that can run 4k VR on anything but the most rudimentary of titles. And even once we have it, we're going to be talking an our or two of battery life at the most. Talking about 4k handhelds is an insane bar to hit. We're not even there with consoles yet (And may not be for while.)

Telling people they are wrong for having preferences is beyond condescending.

People are telling you're wrong to have these expectations for different matters. Would you complain your PS4 or Xbox one isn't playing games at 1440p. You know, the resolution of most high end phones ?

Seik

Banned

As long as it's 720p it won't change much honestly.

Anything more will look a tiny bit sharper on that screen and will drain the battery quicker.

Pachimari

I guess it's safe to assume we won't get either 3D or a dual screen setup for their next handheld? If so, I might just buy a N3DS and keep it this time.

Industry. Leading. Tech.
istock_000012710166_small.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom