• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ESPN Ranks LeBron as the #3 NBA Player All-Time. What say you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
why are americans so obsessed with rings/championships in team sports when it comes to rating/ranking individual players?

Like with Peyton after his second ring. Dude played a horrible season and just because his defense won him another ring he's suddenly up there with Brady again?

He'll never be up there with Brady. Unless he magically wins himself two more rings and also goes back in time and stops himself from choking in so many huge games.

MJ, Magic, Bird, Timmy D, Hakeem, Russell, Kareem, Kobe, Wilt, West .... in no particular order.

I have Timmy and The Dream in font of Shaq, whom I probably put at 11 in front of Lebron at 12 and Oscar at 13. Shaq dominated, but it was a shorter spurt.

If stats guys were writing it, wouldn't KG be much higher?

Stats guys writing this are why Kobe is out of the top 10 and Lebron is in the top 3.

At what point do you guys realize he is not a winner, and is in fact a loser, who owes the rings he has to Dwayne and CO.

He is the second most over rated payer ever. I look at him like I think about the 90's Bills.

how many finals has he lost?

And yes I base greatness on rings.And I am not talking Robert Horry rings, Im talking earned rings.

Hard

Banned
ESPN is a fucking joke.

Ahead of Duncan?

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

the guy who beat him twice in the finals?

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

2-4 finals record?

???????????????????????????????????????????????

this_guy

Duncan has had a better career than Hakeem but prime Hakeem > prime Duncan. Robert Horry played with both (and prime Shaq) and said Hakeem was best.

And yes I base greatness on rings.And I am not talking Robert Horry rings, Im talking earned rings.

Robert Horry earned his rings. A few of the greats would have less rings without Horry.

Ralemont

not me
Eh, I dunno, I think there's a case to put MJ over Wilt. I think you can put either of them at #1 and I'd be fine with it.

Oh, I meant Wilt shouldn't even be Top 5, and certainly not above Russell who dominated Wilt every time they met up.

At what point do you guys realize he is not a winner, and is in fact a loser, who owes the rings he has to Dwayne and CO.

I would probably realize this if I went back in time and prevented myself from watching the two rings he won, because that's the only way I could ever conclude such a thing.

RNB

Banned
why are americans so obsessed with rings/championships in team sports when it comes to rating/ranking individual players?

Like with Peyton after his second ring. Dude played a horrible season and just because his defense won him another ring he's suddenly up there with Brady again?

because that would require people to have an actual understanding of the sport.

In my lifetime, no player was ever as dominate as a prime Shaquille O'Neil. (I was too young to really see MJ's prime.)

He could score at will and the whole Laker's defense revolved around funneling the ball towards Shaq.

He would absolutely crush LeBron 1 on 1.

Duncan has had a better career than Hakeem but prime Hakeem > prime Duncan. Robert Horry played with both (and prime Shaq) and said Hakeem was best.

Horry also said Curry is better than Kobe in his prime.

Curry wasn't even MVP of the Finals.

Curry still has a lot to prove, Kobe's been there and done that.

I wouldn't listen to Robert Horry.

Lmao @ people angry that LeBron is so high because he didn't win enough titles and/or choked in big games and then putting Wilt in the top 2.

In what universe is Bill Russell not 1 or 2 though? More rings than fingers.

As a Celtics fan I have more respect for Bill Russell than just about any other basketball player but I think it's hard to rank guys from that era so high, it was a completely different league.

ESPN is a fucking joke.

Ahead of Duncan?

the guy who beat him twice in the finals?

I love Duncan but he was surrounded by much better teams. Put LBJ on the Spurs for his entire career and they'd be closing in on double digit rings.

Magic is twice the player that Lebron is. Excelled at playing all 5 positions.

Magic was an all time playmaker but what you mean was that he played mediocre defense at five positions.

Proelite

In my lifetime, no player was ever as dominate as a prime Shaquille O'Neil. (I was too young to really see MJ's prime.)

He could score at will and the whole Laker's defense revolved around funneling the ball towards Shaq.

Lebron v Shaq will be a blowout in favor of Lebron. 3s > 2s.

Jarate

Banned
Horry also said Curry is better than Kobe in his prime.

Curry wasn't even MVP of the Finals.

Curry still has a lot to prove, Kobe's been there and done that.

I wouldn't listen to Robert Horry.

Curry shouldve been the MVP of the finals. I love Iggy, but they basically gave it to him because Curry played a little below his average and Iggy played above his average.
Lmao @ people angry that LeBron is so high because he didn't win enough titles and/or choked in big games and then putting Wilt in the top 2.

Wilt has the statistics to back him up. He averaged 50 points a season. Even when he got old he was still one of the best players in the game.

Abounder

Banned
I like that Magic and Shaq are ranked higher than Kobe, sets things right for Laker land. Those guys were both more dominant and better team players to boot

Curry shouldve been the MVP of the finals. I love Iggy, but they basically gave it to him because Curry played a little below his average and Iggy played above his average.

Iggy deserved it for the finals especially with his matchup vs LeBron

Sadly it's the easiest stat to look at. Bringing up championships when coming up with a list of players is as dumb as the lists themselves.

Jay Sosa

no he wouldn't

Dude sure was dominant but he wasn't exactly a great basketball player.

mxgt

Banned
People can hate on LeBron all they want, but no one else has consistently led groups of scrubs (excluding Miami years) to deep playoff runs like he has.

2007 Spurs were the better team, 2014 Spurs were the better team, 2015 Warriors were definitely the better team.

2011 is the only mark against him in the finals, no excuses for that.

RNB

Banned

Curry didn't show up for most of the series. There's a reason why people actually entertained the idea that Dellevadova was a lock down defender.

Iggy shut down the #3 NBA Player of All-Time

It's the Most Valuable Player, not the Best Player on Team award.

Most over rated player in history, and now hes losing his jump shot, what happens when he cant bulldoze the lane anymore? You have an average player. He didn't evolve his game at all, only let it deteriorate.

Jarate

Banned
I like that Magic and Shaq are ranked higher than Kobe, sets things right for Laker land. Those guys were both more dominant and better team players to boot

Iggy deserved it for the finals especially with his matchup vs LeBron

And yet Lebron still got 40 points basically every game with that matchup

Curry is 100% way more impactful as a player then Iguoudala will ever be

Curry didn't show up for most of the series. There's a reason why people actually entertained the idea that Dellevadova was a lock down defender.

Lebron was so shut down he averaged 35 points a game in the finals

Iggy was beautiful in that series, he played incredibly well, but Curry still was way more impactful to the game

Most over rated player in history, and now hes losing his jump shot, what happens when he cant bulldoze the lane anymore? You have an average player. He didn't evolve his game at all, only let it deteriorate.

He's already played 13 years even if he starts to deteriorate now his resume stacks up with the best to ever play. His career is already longer than Magic's and Bird's and people act like he still has a lot to prove.

Players get worse once their out of their prime? Who would've thought. I'd still take prime LeBron over just about anyone.

Into

He is 2-6, and probably 2-7 in the finals this year.

"Well he got to 6 finals mang that is mighty impressive doe!" Yeah in a very weak east. When he faces the better West teams he losses despite his greatness.

The guy has only beaten a young OKC team that barely had pubes on their balls, with a superteam of Wade and Bosh and a hail Mary shot from Ray Allen to beat the Spurs. That is his championship legacy. The rest are losses.

I dont care if i am called a hater, those are goddamn facts.

Ralemont

not me

Curry was the most valuable player because the entirety of the Cavs' game plan was focused on getting the ball immediately out of his hands. It was insane watching the Cavs give up open threes to other players every trip down the court because they knew it was still better than letting Curry go 1v1. That is some crazy shit.

I never thought he was a great shooter but he used to be a streaky shooter than could get hot and change games.

As for his physicality, he always had an identity crisis and for a player that strong, he was more of a finesse player.

He picked his spots but despite being clunky as fuck and having suspect touch at the basket when contested, he could have dominated if he realized that he's not a pointguard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom