• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ESPN Ranks LeBron as the #3 NBA Player All-Time. What say you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

richsena

Banned
I think there is certainly an argument to be made for LeBron being #3 all-time. During his prime, he was one of the most well-rounded players ever. That said, I don't see him as someone who dominated an era in the same way Jordan, Shaq, or even Duncan did. As talented as he was, I don't think he's won as many championships as his talent suggested he would.

People like to say that him going to Miami was such a great decision and it doesn't tarnish his legacy at all. But when you look back at his career and you see him putting in 3 years in Miami (basically just to get some rings) between non-championship years in Cleveland (assuming he never wins one there), it's just not a good look. I'd say I'd put him neck-and-neck with Kobe in terms of overall greatness, though I'd say he was a better player, overall.

I can't really comment on Magic, Russell, Wilt, or Bird as I didn't see them play.

Most over rated player in history, and now hes losing his jump shot, what happens when he cant bulldoze the lane anymore? You have an average player. He didn't evolve his game at all, only let it deteriorate.

One of the reasons I have Shaq out of the top 10. Dude showed up out of shape and fat almost every year. His last 7 years were largely ineffectual. He's also set a trend in the NBA because his FT shooting was so deficient. He was just so damn dominant during those prime years.

Anyone saying Lebron should be in front of Magic need to turn in their NBA fan card and go back to football.

Ric Flair

Banned
He's a top 20 player, I think top 10 is debatable with his ability. He doesn't make the guys around him better like Michael or Bird did, though.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is 2.

i

I guess Jordan is number 1.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
As long as Jordan is number 1 I'm not fussed. 3 seems a touch high though.

Kobe at 12 is a fucking joke and I say that as a Bulls fan.

Lothars

He's already played 13 years even if he starts to deteriorate now his resume stacks up with the best to ever play. His career is already longer than Magic's and Bird's and people act like he still has a lot to prove.
He doesn't have anything to prove because he's proved he is one of the most overrated players ever.

The fact that people are putting Wilt above LeBron is hilarious. It just goes to show how much time passing can do for your legacy. Everything people criticize LeBron over is the same shit they'd say about Wilt if his career played out today instead of 40-50 years ago. Rose collared goggles are a mother fucker.

Ralemont

not me
This is your friendly reminder that Wilt used to shoot at his own basket to pad his rebounds for triple doubles.

Fuck putting Wilt anywhere near the top.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is 2.

I guess Jordan is number 1.

I can respect that. Dude won Finals MVPs 20 years apart.

Abounder

Banned
And yet Lebron still got 40 points basically every game with that matchup

Curry is 100% way more impactful as a player then Iguoudala will ever be

Lebron was so shut down he averaged 35 points a game in the finals

Iggy was beautiful in that series, he played incredibly well, but Curry still was way more impactful to the game

Yea on second thought LeBron was really the Finals MVP lol. For Curry he needed to put up better numbers especially without Kyrie to worry about, ala Tony Parker vs hobbled Cavs 07

I would never and I mean ever take Lebron over Magic, Magic knew what his role was on the court, Lebron still cant figure that out.

Plus I like winners not wankstas!!!!!!!

Ronin Ray

I love Duncan but he was surrounded by much better teams. Put LBJ on the Spurs for his entire career and they'd be closing in on double digit rings.

What am I reading. Duncan was surrounded by players he made look better in every way. He played with an old David Robinson, tony parker and manu ginobili and now Leonard. I missed the part where Duncan left to play with dwyane wade and chris bosh. Then left again to play with Kevin love and kyrie irving. Without Duncan a lot of players would be over seas and no one would know who they are. Look how bad the spurs Defense has looked without Duncan this year and he is 39.

Eos

Idk about top 3, but for just last season he carried that bum ass team to the finals and won 2 games against gs... Watching him during the playoffs cemented my thoughts that he's a top 10 OAT.

mxgt

Banned
He is 2-6, and probably 2-7 in the finals this year.

"Well he got to 6 finals mang that is mighty impressive doe!" Yeah in a very weak east. When he faces the better West teams he losses despite his greatness.

The guy has only beaten a young OKC team that barely had pubes on their balls, with a superteam of Wade and Bosh and a hail Mary shot from Ray Allen to beat the Spurs. That is his championship legacy. The rest are losses.

I dont care if i am called a hater, those are goddamn facts.

It's actually 2-4

2/6 if you want to be accurate, but it looks worse against LeBron if you write it 2-6 so it makes sense you'd do it that way.

bender

What time is it?
Shaq should be much higher than 9. Also Larry Bird is robbed by being at 6.

I always wonder how much better Shaq would have been had he cared more about staying in shape and working on his game. I can't really blame him for his decisions though as he still dominated, made tons of money and had a helluva lot fun.

Michael Jordan will always be #1.

LeBron is not consistent and at times, very unprofessional. He flops like a freaking politician. He whines like a baby. Lots of dumb theatrics.

He's great, but not the greatest. He's way too forced and spoon-fed for my liking.

Caja 117

He is 2-6, and probably 2-7 in the finals this year.

"Well he got to 6 finals mang that is mighty impressive doe!" Yeah in a very weak east. When he faces the better West teams he losses despite his greatness.

The guy has only beaten a young OKC team that barely had pubes on their balls, with a superteam of Wade and Bosh and a hail Mary shot from Ray Allen to beat the Spurs. That is his championship legacy. The rest are losses.

I dont care if i am called a hater, those are goddamn facts.

You are not a hater, you just sound salty by basically saying "yeah, those 2 rings are not even legit" lol

I would never and I mean ever take Lebron over Magic, Magic knew what his role was on the court, Lebron still cant figure that out.

Plus I like winners not wankstas!!!!!!!

But LeBron throws those no-look passes with even more ease...

to wide-open guys when they're both at the top of the key and he's not being closely guarded himself.

Jarate

Banned
The fact that people are putting Wilt above LeBron is hilarious. It just goes to show how much time passing can do for your legacy. Everything people criticize LeBron over is the same shit they'd say about Wilt if his career played out today instead of 40-50 years ago. Rose collared goggles are a mother fucker.

Tell me when Lebron averages 50 points a season

Reading this thread hurts my head I'm with you on this one scooootie. I personally had Lebron at #5 so him being #3 doesn't really irk me.

But LeBron throws those no-look passes with even more ease...

to wide-open guys when they're both at the top of the key and he's not being closely guarded himself.

Lol.This, so much this, its all smoke and mirrors, Lebron already lost on the chance to be the best. hes 2-4 man. time to move on, I dont think hell win another ring ever.

LeBron is a better player than Kobe. That isn't even a discussion, and I say that as someone who loves Kobe Bean Bryant. Kobe is one of the greats but there isn't any point in Kobe's career where he was as good an all around player as Bron in his prime. But I shouldn't be surprised. The kind of people shitting on LeBron now were the same kinds of people shitting on Kobe 10-15 years ago. "He's a wannabe Jordan, he's a selfish chucked, he can't win without Shaq, he can't win without Phil, he can't win without Pau, he'll never be Jordan!" Time leads to revisionist attitudes about him. How he's "old snake" in the twilight of his career and LeBron is the new enemy. In 10 years I'm sure the cycle will continue and whoever is the best player in the league at the time will be compared unfavorably to LeBron.

Subitai

What am I reading. Duncan was surrounded by players he made look better in every way. He played with an old David Robinson, tony parker and manu ginobili and now Leonard. I missed the part where Duncan left to play with dwyane wade and chris bosh. Then left again to play with Kevin love and kyrie irving. Without Duncan a lot of players would be over seas and no one would know who they are. Look how bad the spurs Defense has looked without Duncan this year and he is 39.
That scare when TMac and Grant Hill tried to get him to come to Orlando during the Lakers 3peat seems ancient now cause nobody recalls it after Boston and Miami did it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom