• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ESPN Ranks LeBron as the #3 NBA Player All-Time. What say you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
the revisionist history regarding kobe is disgusting imo

dude was the only basketball player capable of emulating MJ

Kobe is the closest anyone ever got to actually being "the next Jordan". I remember watching him win the All Starvweekend dunk contest back in the 90s and even as a Bulls fan I was telling people this guy could be the next Jordan.

Kobe is fucking spectacular. But there's only 1 Michael Jordan and he's in a league of his own.

spyder_ur

No problem with LeBron being ahead of Magic. His career reached a higher peak and had more longevity than Magic.

I think Russell and Duncan have strong arguments over LeBron, though.

The fact that people are putting Wilt above LeBron is hilarious. It just goes to show how much time passing can do for your legacy. Everything people criticize LeBron over is the same shit they'd say about Wilt if his career played out today instead of 40-50 years ago. Rose collared goggles are a mother fucker.

Exactly, people would be saying the same shit they say about Dwight Howard.

Bird > LeBron

Bird the god can hit endless jumpers at Brons age, Bron is struggling
if refs called his train power move into the lane x push offs he'd have a horrible season

Smellycat

It's impossible to find the actual list on the ESPN website, but i'm guessing it's MJ at 1 and Wilt at 2, based on what I saw?

I have Lebron at 3 behind MJ and Magic, so I have no argument with the placement.

You are not kidding. What an atrocious layout.

If you think LeBron James being one of the best 10 players of all time is "debatable" then you should just stop trying to talk about basketball.

Ralemont

not me

Ric Flair

Banned
If you think LeBron James being one of the best 10 players of all time is "debatable" then you should just stop trying to talk about basketball.

I don't think there's anyone in here arguing that he is definitely not a top 10, I think most of us agree it's not ridiculous to place him top ten. Number 3 though, dude? Really?

jman2050

Also Lebron should have been Finals MVP last year and it shouldn't have been close. Iggy getting the award is a total joke that only happened because he was on the winning team and Curry played a mediocre series.

Undefined

Top 3 is pretty high.
If lebron was able to win it last year without love/irving then maybe i would agree.
Or maybe if he can win it this year vs this incredible GSW team.

But as of right now, its too early to put him top 3. Just like curry being all time top 24.

Cipherr

Perfectly fine with that. Guy is one of the GOATS and entertaining to watch. As his light fades the league had better pray Curry brings the viewers like Jordan/Kobe/James.

phanphare

Banned
Kobe is the closest anyone ever got to actually being "the next Jordan". I remember watching him win the All Starvweekend dunk contest back in the 90s and even as a Bulls fan I was telling people this guy could be the next Jordan.

Kobe is fucking spectacular. But there's only 1 Michael Jordan and he's in a league of his own.

totally agreed, I'm just saying that in recent years as the decline of kobe really kicked in there's been a shift in the narrative surrounding him

Anth0ny

I have Jordan, Magic, Bird, Kobe, Shaq, Wilt, Kareem and Duncan all above Lebron.

If Steph keeps up this pace he's going to be up there too.

I'd personally put Lebron in the top 10 of all time but it's close. Definitely debatable imo.

Also Lebron should have been Finals MVP last year and it shouldn't have been close. Iggy getting the award is a total joke that only happened because he was on the winning team and Curry played a mediocre series.

he was so valuable that his team lost the series

he was the best player on the court, no doubt, but finals mvp is entirely different

Top 3 is pretty high.
If lebron was able to win it last year without love/irving then maybe i would agree.
Or maybe if he can win it this year vs this incredible GSW team.

But as of right now, its too early to put him top 3. Just like curry being all time top 24.

Too early? He's played more seasons than some of the best players ever.

Can't think of another player in the top 10 that has so obviously quit and sulked when all looked lost on so many occasions. Dude can play. But he's also a chump.

Using team success to measure an individual's performance seems like a really poor metric. By that logic, Horry is better than Jordan and John Salley is better than Hakeem Olajuwon. It seems like something people latch onto as an argument to dismiss the accomplishments of players they don't personally like (2-4 in the Finals, he SUCKS) but conveniently ignore when it doesn't fit their narrative (look at Wilt's individual statistics... just ignore his record in the playoffs). But opinions on individual athletes in comparison to others across 60+ years are inherently biased and completely subjective, so whatever.

That said, LeBron at number 3? That's a bit of a stretch. I'm not a LeBron hater by any stretch of the imagination, but with Jordan, Magic, Kareem and Duncan, you've already got 4 players I'd unequivocally place above LeBron, and that's discounting Russell who I've always felt was slightly overrated. LeBron is obviously a Top 10, there's no question in my mind, but top 3 at this point... no.

He's miles ahead of Kobe though.

Can't think of another player in the top 10 that has so obviously quit and sulked when all looked lost on so many occasions. Dude can play. But he's also a chump.

You must not know much about how Wilt, Kareem and even Magic (or should I say Tragic) Johnson were viewed at certain points of their careers.

Yikes, I think Lebron is great and all, but I wouldn't put him in top 10 ALL-TIME. With maybe the exception of Tim Duncan, Lebron shouldn't be ahead of any of those guys.

Keep up what pace? He'd have to have 10+ additional seasons of what he's doing this year to even remotely be in the discussion of being above Lebron.

Would you bet on that?

If Steph manages to do that, he'll supplant Jordan, let alone LeBron. But I don't think that's terribly likely (shame though that is; dude is fun to watch).

BadAss2961

Wilt is pretty underrated. It takes several championships of greatness to overcome the sheer numbers he put up. Can't put LeBron ahead of him when they have the same number of rings.

I like the idea that LeBrons sulking should take him down a few notches but no one gives a shit about Wilt stat padding in losing games. If LeBron tried to go for 50 or whatever in a blowout loss he'd be vilified.

flyover

You must not know much about how Wilt, Kareem and even Magic (or should I say Tragic) Johnson were viewed at certain points of their careers.

Seriously. And even Jordan was viewed as a bum who only cared about his shoes and his own numbers and didn't make his teammates better. That was all you ever heard here in the Chicago media until he won a championship or two.

LeBron is a better player than Kobe. That isn't even a discussion, and I say that as someone who loves Kobe Bean Bryant. Kobe is one of the greats but there isn't any point in Kobe's career where he was as good an all around player as Bron in his prime. But I shouldn't be surprised. The kind of people shitting on LeBron now were the same kinds of people shitting on Kobe 10-15 years ago. "He's a wannabe Jordan, he's a selfish chucked, he can't win without Shaq, he can't win without Phil, he can't win without Pau, he'll never be Jordan!" Time leads to revisionist attitudes about him. How he's "old snake" in the twilight of his career and LeBron is the new enemy. In 10 years I'm sure the cycle will continue and whoever is the best player in the league at the time will be compared unfavorably to LeBron.

To be fair, Kobe has said something similar in the past. He and LBJ are different types of players--Kobe is a scorer first and second, playmaker third. LBJ is a playmaker first. So Lebron is the more well rounded player, but Kobe is the better scorer, period, from clutch shots to making bad shots to I can go get 50/60/81. MJ, Kareem, Shaq, Duncan, Kobe were completely unstoppable for most of their careers.

I'm sure when Simmons is in year 5 for LA and getting ring 1 the same comparisons will pop up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom