• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EU Parliament: Americans should not have visa-free access to Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39143806

US citizens should be refused visa-free access to the EU in response to American visa rules affecting citizens from five EU countries, the European Parliament has said. Citizens of Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Poland and Romania are currently denied visa-free access to the US.

The European Parliament passed a non-binding resolution on Thursday. However, member states would have to approve the move, a process that could take years. Nevertheless, the resolution, passed by a show of hands, said the new visa rules should come into effect quickly and should remain in place until the US visa requirements were shelved.

A European Parliament statement said the EU Commission was legally obliged to temporarily reintroduce the new visa rules because of its reciprocity policy.

Under these rules, "if a third country does not lift its visa requirements within 24 months of being notified of non-reciprocity, the EU Commission must adopt a delegated act... suspending the visa waiver for its nationals for 12 months", the statement said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/us-nationals-to-be-forced-to-apply-to-visas-eu-reciprocity/

Americans should be forced to apply for visas to travel to Europe, the European Parliament has said, in response to Washington refusing to allow all Europeans to travel to the States visa-free.

The vote by show of hands is the latest in the ongoing “visa war” between Brussels and the US capital, which now looks set to come to a head after MEPs today agreed that US nationals crossing the Atlantic should require additional travel documents as long as citizens from five EU countries (Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Poland and Romania) are kept from entering America without a visa. A European Parliament source told Telegraph Travel this was a “serious negative step in the EU-USA visa war”.

The EU Commission now has two months to reintroduce visas for Americans wishing to travel to Europe, after MEPs agreed the EU is now “legally obliged” to suspend the Visa Waiver Programme (VWP) with the US for a year after the US administration failed to meet a deadline to respond something called visa reciprocity. Parliament and the European Council will have the chance to object to anything put forward by the Commission.

The need to apply for a visa to travel to a country is widely seen as a turn-off to potential visitors, given the extra cost and time an application requires. A country looking to boost its tourism industry will often look at loosening any existing visa requirements.

The resolution was passed despite warnings from the European Travel Commission (ETC) of the damage a visa war with the US might have on the continent’s tourism industry.

Occam

Good. And when entering any foreign country, US citizens should be treated the same way US customs/immigration treat non-Americans. Fingerprinting, mugshot, questioning, etc.

dgdas9

I'd be very happy if the EU continues to stands up for its smaller members. However, I don't think this is the US administration most likely to play ball, and having to apply for visas is always a pain.

akira28

well, the leveling was coming. and if it was gonna come, it was gonna come during the 2 years of a trump presidency.

Syncytia

Not sure how I feel about this... kind of escalates things in a way that helps nobody. Trump admin will just spin this as a reason why the EU sucks and somehow tie NATO being horrible into it somehow just for shits and giggles.

Eh. I believe in pure freedom of movement for a unified West. Hopefully we can get over this spate of reactionary politics and move towards a unified Western Coalition.

commedieu

Banned
Lol. Why would I want to leave the USA in the first place, let alone travel through terrorist nations?

USA!!!! USA!!!!!!!!! USA!!!!!!!

Good. And when entering any foreign country, US citizens should be treated the same way US customs/immigration treat non-Americans. Finger printing, photos, questioning, etc.

Is this not more common? I swear that's what happened to me when I traveled to Japan in 2011.

Good. And when entering any foreign country, US citizens should be treated the same way US customs/immigration treat non-Americans. Finger printing, photos, questioning, etc.

I mean there are many Americans that are treated the same way as non-Americans.

Shady looking white Americans should be strip searched at their port of entry when they travel abroad. Ignorant people here need to be made to know what racial profiling feels like.

Raven117

Gold Member
Not sure how I feel about this... kind of escalates things in a way that helps nobody. Trump admin will just spin this as a reason why the EU sucks and somehow tie NATO being horrible into it somehow just for shits and giggles.

This.

Just seems a little petty to me.

platocplx

Honestly i cant wait for the day when humanity realizes having borders on this planet are fucking stupid for countries. Free movement would be a godsend to us all.

Honestly i cant wait for the day when humanity realizes having borders on this planet are fucking stupid for countries. Free movement would be a godsend to us all.
Yep. At least for like-minded nations at first. Imagine free movement through the US, Commonwealth, EU, Japan, South Korea.

I don't think an eye for an eye is the right approach here. Show Trump he's wrong by openly allowing visitors, don't stoop to his level and crack down on free travel between the U.S. and EU.

Espada

This needed to happen. We need to feel consequences for installing imbeciles in the highest levels of our government, and this one step towards that goal. The people who support our current congress and administration need to be as inconvenienced as possible in response to leadership that thumbs their nose at allies and the international community.

platocplx

Yep. At least for like-minded nations at first. Imagine free movement through the US, Commonwealth, EU, Japan, South Korea.

I really think about more and more about all the social constructs we have and im just like whats the point it makes no sense our lives are like a drop of water in the ocean and for us to argue over who can or cant come into a country without red tape is crazy, when if there was a unified front(and information sharing on travelers) you'd already know who is coming in etc.

The Africa union is looking to have free travel and its gonna be a great thing to see. i know the EU has had this for a while as well. I just dont even understand why people have for all these years made all these claims of new world orders etc and a single world govt as a bad thing or even most western countries having full agreements on fundamental rights etc as the the EU has been doing where it does see to have a lot of benefits for people in general.

All of this stuff is so archaic to me.

I think other countries should be bigger than us and ignore us and show kindness and let us just do really fucked up things to other countries without stooping to our level. Simply just say "bad America, don't do that!" Because if they follow suit and do what we do then like that's bad.

Espada

Look, I get it, we deserve it for electing Trump, but this will hurt us all.

Good, let's suffer then. This is our just reward for sitting on our laurels at letting right wing junk gain power in the Western world. Too many people will not change course from shitty ideas until it hurts them to do so.

MUnited83

For you.
Good. The US should not fucking have visa-free access to Europe while they pick and choose which EU countries can have visa-free access to Europe.

The the last thing they need is the american public and government being against the EU. Terrible idea.
The US government is already agains the EU. The EU should not fucking bow down to the US ; that would be the thing that would be a terrible idea.

Xando

I think other countries should be bigger than us and ignore us and show kindness and let us just do really fucked up things to other countries without stooping to our level. Simply just say "bad America, don't do that!" Because if they follow suit and do what we do then like that's bad.

That's literally what people did before the election and now look at us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom