• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EU Parliament: Americans should not have visa-free access to Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good. And when entering any foreign country, US citizens should be treated the same way US customs/immigration treat non-Americans. Finger printing, photos, questioning, etc.
yeah we should definitely implement more policies out of spite. Seems like a good use of resources.

Incarmine

Banned
Shady looking white Americans should be strip searched at their port of entry when they travel abroad. Ignorant people here need to be made to know what racial profiling feels like.

Honestly though, they're not going to suddenly realize this is what it feels like for minorities and suddenly grow some sympathy. They're just going to think, "They're infringing on me! Screw them!" and keep on hating minorities some more.

That said, I say good for Europe!

I don't really like that development, but hell, America had it coming with their visa policies.

If it forces America to loosen them again somewhere down the line I'm all for it.

Nerazar

yeah we should definitely implement more policies out of spite. Seems like a good use of resources.

That's called reciprocity and if Donald forces the hand of the EU, the EU will have to apply the same measures to US citizens. You cannot pick some EU countries to discriminate against and hope that the others will just let it slip.

It's something he knows very well and if he wants to play, the former allies will do, too.

I'd say most countries I've been to had this, especially the non-Western ones

They most definitely do. You must not have traveled in the last year and half because I've been fingerprinted at both Narita and Haneda
Apologies, you're completely right. I guess the process just washed over me to the extent I totally forgot about it.

Out of spite? The US wants to negotiate with single EU countries in contrast to the whole EU entity now to sow discord between EU member states and generally destabilize the EU.

The EU not reacting when some of their member states are treated with visa policies like this by the US would defeat the purpose of the EU and play right into their hands.

This isn't out of spite, it's a necessary measure which the US is entirely at fault for.

Joni

This is not even spite. It is just one of the rules for the visa-free travel: all EU countries have to be treated equal with a 24 month period to change. The US is no longer reaching the requirements. That simple.

KonradLaw

I don't know what's the problem USA has. I mean..no terrorists will come from countries in Poland and the idea that a modern eastern european would want to stay illegaly in USA to get some crappy job when he can legally work in western europe is hilarious.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Considering the absurd shit some nationals have to go through when they land, I'm glad Americans will have to go through the same shit. I mean, America even takes place of birth into account, so a person who has no ties to a country and was merely born there, is still questioned.

Absurd all around.

MilkBeard

Can we have "Dammit Trump" as the new "Thanks Obama"?

On a serious note, I guess it was coming. Americans should know that stupidity has consequences.

Joni

Can we have "Dammit Trump" as the new "Thanks Obama"?

On a serious note, I guess it was coming. Americans should know that stupidity has consequences.

Still Thanks Obama. This was raised in 2014, so he had three years to fix it. For all the stuff we can throw at Trump, this one is not Trump's sole fault.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Canadian passports stay winning.

Very fair.
All US nationals should go through the same awful VISA application process to visit EU if they expect others coming to US to go through the same thing.

ChryZ

We should also ask for their social media, backup/search their electronic devices and block pineapple on pizza sympathizer.

Is this not more common? I swear that's what happened to me when I traveled to Japan in 2011.

It's happened in almost every country outside the EU that I've been to (other than Switzerland, natch). It's very common. In fact, if you have an ESTA travelling to the US it's only really like that the first time you use it. I've cleared JFK from being on the plane to being in the cab rank in about 15 minutes as recently as January. Canada was very similar to the US in its practices (I didn't need a visa, but they asked more questions than the US border guys ever have). When I went to China I had to give my passport to the Chinese embassy in London for a week before hand.

numble

It's happened in almost every country outside the EU that I've been to (other than Switzerland, natch). It's very common. In fact, if you have an ESTA travelling to the US it's only really like that the first time you use it. I've cleared JFK from being on the plane to being in the cab rank in about 15 minutes as recently as January. Canada was very similar to the US in its practices (I didn't need a visa, but they asked more questions than the US border guys ever have). When I went to China I had to give my passport to the Chinese embassy in London for a week before hand.

You did not give your fingerprints when you went to China. Giving a passport to an embassy to attach a visa is common.

I think we need to do this. The US is obviously trying to split the EU and we can't just stand at the sideline and watch this happening. It's a sad state of affairs that the USA of 2017 are an enemy of the EU :/

Joni

The danger for the EU is that you know Trump will respond. Bye bye ESTA for EU countries.

Trump has already threatened to review it for certain European countries. This statement implies that the European Union will not allow a partial review: it will be all or nothing. That should put pressure on Trump's business partners.

Glad my son already has his EU passport.

Edit: I understand why they would do this but considering how many EU states rely so heavily on tourism I doubt it'll ever pass.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
don't throw such complicated words at me dude.

To me it just seems childish and like something that isn't helping anyone.

Its not childish, it's called being held accountable for your actions. Something this administration is not very familiar with.

le.phat

I don't believe an 'eye for an eye' approach is the best stance in the current climate, but if it means less shit US tourists in Amsterdam then i'll consider it a small personal victory moment.

eizarus

Banned
Can't to see some pasty looking white dude crying and campaigning that he feels victimised by racial profiling and discrimination. Blah fucking blah.

As a brown Muslim with a (short) beard: Welcome to my world, bitch.
I literally get searched and questioned under the terrorism act every time I come back to the UK from a holiday
(Edit: I guess that's off-topic but screw it, I'm venting)

FStubbs

Honestly though, they're not going to suddenly realize this is what it feels like for minorities and suddenly grow some sympathy. They're just going to think, "They're infringing on me! Screw them!" and keep on hating minorities some more.

That said, I say good for Europe!

I don't think Trump voters are the ones visiting Europe. Except the really wealthy.

I'm not sure I like this.

EU should contrast the backwards policies of the US by showing how it should be done, not implement the same protectionist/nationalist policies as the US.

Off course, I'm looking at this uninformed and from a long distance. I don't know if there are valid reasons for the Visa rule, instead of retaliation.

EloKa

at first I do dislike this (automated) reaction and we europeans should be better than that.
But imho this is still better than letting the US bully specific european members.

Metroxed

EU should contrast the backwards policies of the US by showing how it should be done, not implement the same protectionist/nationalist policies as the US.

Off course, I'm looking at this uninformed and from a long distance. I don't know if there are valid reasons for the Visa rule, instead of retaliation.

There are valid reasons: giving US citizens entering the EU the same treatment they give to some EU citizens entering the US. It's only fair.

Is this not more common? I swear that's what happened to me when I traveled to Japan in 2011.

Not in Europe, AFAIK. Tho my GF has her fingerprint on her Spanish residence card... But I don't think it's required for tourism entry. Airport security is somewhat less strict and TSA agents here sure are less assholish. When I went to the US (JFK) they sure seemed to like making people have a bad time. That is, me being white AF.

Not in Europe, AFAIK. Tho my GF has her fingerprint on her Spanish residence card... But I don't think it's required for tourism entry. Airport security is somewhat less strict and TSA agents here sure are less assholish. When I went to the US (JFK) they sure seemed to like making people have a bad time. That is, me being white AF.

To be fair you probably just had back luck. Went to the US (white German with a very "German"-sounding name) twice and didn't have any issues whatsoever. First time with my father and the TSA agent kind of joked around because he knew a couple of German words. Second time me alone (visa for studying a semester) and the guy just asked the standard questions (why are you here, do you plan to work, do you plan to leave and when etc.). Was through customs within a minute or two (+ 2 hours or so in the queue of course).

KonradLaw

The whole EU is built on unity and solidarity. Individual countries, aside from maybe France and Germany are small and insignificant as global powers. The only reason EU gets to be a global superpower is by acting as one entity. This is why such reaction is necessary. You can't allow americans to pick and choose between EU members. By allowing that EU would loose most of it's collective bargaining power for everything else.

It's also why UK is screwed when it comes to trade deal with EU post-Brexit, because it will have to negotieate with the whole block at once.

Apzu

I don't get people saying something like this is petty, reciprocity is a very common thing in international relations, not only related to visas but citizenship, extraditions, tarifs and some other economical things. Also this is a problem related to countries and not their current governments, this problem started with Obama and it probably wouldn't be any different if Hillary was president, the only difference may be in how the US president deals with the situation.

"Latin Americans. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people"
Oh I know there's prejudice, I just find it interesting that even here people don't think about it. It's easier for some to think of Japan as a somewhat western country outside Europe and succesful british colonies, than it is to consider a very large area with 600 mi people that lives under that same western culture as western.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom