• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EU Parliament: Americans should not have visa-free access to Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.

platocplx

free healthcare? autobahn? great public transportation? cheap booze? visit great cities?

I really feel like the world power is shifting and i wanna prepare my future kids for it. Learning Chinese and German probably would be in their best interests at this point when i have kids. lol

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Do you think Trump will back down? He'd extend that wall the entire length of the country if he could.

This would probably have greater repercussions for Europe than US. Enacting Visas for US citizens to Europe, would turn more tourism away from there. When it's already been normalized for the countries required to get Visas in Europe.

So my guess, no. He wouldn't have much reason to act, unless it becomes a burden on US business in the country. Tourism on the other hand, would only hurt Europe. Same way most travel bans hurt.

He maybe a dumbass and escalate it though.

Nightbird

I think other countries should be bigger than us and ignore us and show kindness and let us just do really fucked up things to other countries without stooping to our level. Simply just say "bad America, don't do that!" Because if they follow suit and do what we do then like that's bad.

That's what we did, and Trump happend anyway.

The current American Congress and President will continue do whatever they want until they hit a hard roadblock, and even that is not guaranteed to stop them.

That's what we did, and Trump happend anyway.

The current American Congress and President will continue do whatever they want until they hit a hard roadblock, and even that is not guaranteed to stop them.

He was being sarcastic. It's naive to think that a toxic foreign policy wouldn't be returned in spades "because America".

Effnine

It's OK Europe, just like every other American, I can't afford to travel to Europe anyway.

Keep putting the pressure on us, though. We need help dumping the pumpkin

mamoui

It seem to have nothings to do with Trump.
It's the response of a 24 month ultimatum, so the travel restriction would have been put in place during Obama's presidency.

Fucking Trump man

I'm in the process of being a US citizen/getting a passport too....

Applying for Schengen visas is a pain

Edit: ok maybe it's not all Trump's fault

commedieu

Banned
free healthcare? autobahn? great public transportation? cheap booze? visit great cities?

Health care? Jesus has it covered.

Autobahn? No thanks, robots aren't going to steal my job.

Great public transportation? My 3mile per gallon v10 truck is the best road experience you can have. Courtesy of ford.

Cheap booze? That's the problem with alot of you Frenchie mediterraneans!

Great cities? Living in the greatest country in the world will have to do for now.

Edit: aw man. Outed :/

Ac30

Eh. I believe in pure freedom of movement for a unified West. Hopefully we can get over this spate of reactionary politics and move towards a unified Western Coalition.

Most of us do, but the US elected a nativist who champions closed borders - I'm hoping the electorate learns the value of open borders over the next four years.

"Americans are racists, terrorists and fascists, and some I assume are good people."

lets all appreciate the irony.

StarVigil

Good. I heard there are more guns than people in that country. So best, if they are required to get a visa. Proper vetting should be applied as well. Don't need them here and spread their lies about crowd sizes and FAKE NEWS.
This is a joke.

I've travelled to Japan twice from the UK in the past 5 years; never had any of that.

Then I may be confusing my experience with when I saw a documentary of Narita airport and they definitely had at least some people doing thumbprint and pictures at international customs. But maybe that's just to verify their identity.

I don't think an eye for an eye is the right approach here. Show Trump he's wrong by openly allowing visitors, don't stoop to his level and crack down on free travel between the U.S. and EU.

Under no circumstances would any Republican give a shit as long as it doesn't affect them personally. The high road has no effect.

Jasup

The US is only 4% in terms of people and about 5% in terms of number of day stayed in France.

Not that much important.

Well, there are over 12 million American tourist trips to Europe annually. Even though it's not as important as internal European tourism, it'll still have an impact on the industry.

Well, there are over 12 million American tourist trips to Europe annually. Even though it's not as important as internal European tourism, it'll still have an impact on the industry.

Negligible at best.

Having to get a visa to enter a country will not shrink that 12 million significantly in my opinion.

daegan

Then I may be confusing my experience with when I saw a documentary of Narita airport and they definitely had at least some people doing thumbprint and pictures at international customs. But maybe that's just to verify their identity.

They were definitely doing it for everyone when I was there last April.

Under no circumstances would any Republican give a shit as long as it doesn't affect them personally. The high road has no effect.

Sure, but if the EU forces U.S. citizens to get visas, and the U.S. does the same, aren't they playing into Trump's hands? Trump would force the visa process on the entire EU if he could, if for no other reason than to keep out the many Muslims that reside throughout the EU. He can only do so now with Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Poland, and Romania because special interests aren't significantly harmed by it. But if he can use retaliation as an excuse to do it to the entire EU, the special interests won't be able to exert as much influence.

I just don't like it. Escalation doesn't seem the right approach. We're all going to end up more isolated, which is just what Trump and Bannon want.

Metroxed

The the last thing they need is the american public and government being against the EU. Terrible idea.

It is not the responsability of the EU to appease the American public; the job of the EU and of the elected officials of the EU Parliament is to work in the best interests of the EU member states and their citizens. The US demands visa for some EU citizens, but the EU does not make distinction between European citizens, thus it would only be fair and logical to have Americans need visa for get inside Schengen, just like Poles, Croats, Romanians and others are required to get it to get inside the US.

Sölf

Oh, so that's why my thread got locked. We have another one.

So, well, yeah, it's a failing on both ends, even though I don't know what would have been different if the EU had acted in April 2016.

MUnited83

For you.

Of those 12 million, 95% probably still want to go enough to go get a visa,so, eh.

eot

Banned
It seem to have nothings to do with Trump.
It's the response of a 24 month ultimatum, so the travel restriction would have been put in place during Obama's presidency.

Yeah that's what I thought as well, I'm confused about this

Jasup

Negligible at best.

Having to get a visa to enter a country will not shrink that 12 million significantly in my opinion.

Well yes, the there will be tourist industy. However as tourism is very regional, even small bumps on the road can have significant negative impacts for smaller service providers off the beaten path who might depend on those few extra customers a year. Whenever the market shrinks it becomes more centralized.

Of those 12 million, 95% probably still want to go enough to go get a visa,so, eh.
I really am not that optimistic about this. But if the visa requirement comes into force, we'll see.

Besaide

from wiki
To qualify for the Visa Waiver Program, a country must have had a nonimmigrant visa refusal rate of less than 3% for the previous year or an average of no more than 2% over the past two fiscal years with neither year going above 2.5%.[113] In addition, the country must provide visa-free access to United States citizens and has to be either an independent country or a dependency of a VWP country (which has barred Hong Kong and Macau) (Until 4 April 2016, Argentina charged $160 to U.S. citizens to enter.)

Year 2016 2015 2014 2008
Bulgaria 16.86% 17.26% 15.2% 13.3%
Croatia 6.78% 5.29% 6.1% 5.1%
Cyprus 2.03% 3.53% 3.5% 1.7%
Poland 5.37% 6.37% 6.4% 13.8%
Romania 11.43% 11.16% 9.8% 25.0%

EU should federalize or just get rid of national passports and create a EU wide passport.

Edit: I'm interested in seeing how western eu countries feel about possible visa restrictions due to the poorer eastern eu countries and whether it might fuel anti EU sentiment. Not just visa restrictions but possible tit for tats in the future as well.

Dai101

Banned
I think other countries should be bigger than us and ignore us and show kindness and let us just do really fucked up things to other countries without stooping to our level. Simply just say "bad America, don't do that!" Because if they follow suit and do what we do then like that's bad.

giphy.gif

Apzu

Eh. I believe in pure freedom of movement for a unified West. Hopefully we can get over this spate of reactionary politics and move towards a unified Western Coalition.
I too think it would be good to have free movement in an unified west, imagine having so many places you can visit or work without a visa...

Yep. At least for like-minded nations at first. Imagine free movement through the US, Commonwealth, EU, Japan, South Korea.
Oh, right. I forgot that the notion of West doesn't usually include Latin america somehow.

Jay Sosa

what is this, kindergarten?

just because the knucklehead overseas is acting like a moron (surprise, surprise) doesn't mean we have to.

I disagree.

I like to think EU is NOT like today's US.

exactly

Josh7289

Sounds appropriate. If the US treats others like shit then the US should expect the same kind of treatment in return.

Maximus.

I'd be very happy if the EU continues to stands up for its smaller members. However, I don't think this is the US administration most likely to play ball, and having to apply for visas is always a pain.

So then how is it fair for people visiting the USA to have to go through the pain of applying for visas?

SadlerX84

It is not the responsability of the EU to appease the American public; the job of the EU and of the elected officials of the EU Parliament is to work in the best interests of the EU member states and their citizens. The US demands visa for some EU citizens, but the EU does not make distinction between European citizens, thus it would only be fair and logical to have Americans need visa for get inside Schengen, just like Poles, Croats, Romanians and others are required to get it to get inside the US.

Yup

Quid pro quo.

Dehnus

This.

Just seems a little petty to me.

It is part of the law it seems. Like A if one country breaks the aggreement with the EU regarding Visas towards it's member states. So will the EU impose sanctions on their Visa. I mean wouldn't the USA do the same if tomorrow Germany says that "Texans are no longer allowed into Germany, due to the high amount of Gun Violence and Guns per capita?"

I can assure you that similar laws exist in the USA for it's member states.

Mimosa97

Good. And when entering any foreign country, US citizens should be treated the same way US customs/immigration treat non-Americans. Finger printing, photos, questioning, etc.

hear hear !

It's pretty much the embodiment of american privilege. American citizens get to enter europe super easily even if they have criminal convictions and they barely get asked any questions while EU citizens get treated like criminals at the us border.

Sadly us euroeans are feckless and keep bending over to please the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom