• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Lego City could blow the franchise wide open/save the WiiU [Dont port beg]

Taurus

This game would be even more awesome with co-op! Hell, think about playing as the usual dark guy like Murtaugh (no racist offence included) and his partner, the caucasian male like Riggs who has a drinking problem and is suicidal. Maybe in a sequel?

I really hope this game sells well, it seems like there's lot of effort put into this title. Hope it gets decent reviews though...

pvpness

Would like to know if this game will get any DLC at some point. Also any online aspects it might have outside of Miiverse. Which I hope is integrated into the game. Nintendo needs to get the official site up so we can have more information.

I dunno about DLC but grandma ordered the Playset for my kid that is supposed to give you access to an in-game vehicle or two from Lego.com not long ago. Maybe there will be more of that?

Hello!

original.jpg

Meanwhile Lego games family get bigger on Wii U: it seems that WB just announced the porting of Lego Batman 2 DC Super Heroes (spring 13)

Great!! with gamepad functionality, off tv play and enhanced 2 player mode via gamepad and tv. I like Lego games a lot as my wife likes to play with me. Also kids like it a lot in the house.

Now on topic

original.jpg

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry for the post stamp size (I couldn't find that screenshot at a reasonable size), but... is that a rideable t-rex skeleton?! Oh my...

300x200.jpg

Refyref

Wii didn't get the big showcase titles such as 06 or Generations.
Hell, 3DS got a Generations version, and I'm pretty sure I heard it sold the most out of any version.

AFAIK, Factor 5 were working on a 06 port to the Wii, along with Rouge Squadron Trilogy and Brutal Legend. But, you know, Factor 5, so we never saw it.

Wow at some of the freakouts in this thread over a freaking Lego game. It always helps to follow the idea that if you have no interest in a system or game don't go into threads about it.

DrWong

About why no coop :
NL: We understand that this is single-player. Was that an early decision, as co-op is a big feature in the licensed games?

Loz Doyle: Well, the thing is it’s just too hard (laughs) with this sort of game, if you’re always considering two players. We did actually consider two players for a long time: we had to think about how one player would start a story mission if the other player was at the other end of the city, would all of the vehicles have to have two seats? So, how do we re-design all of the vehicles so they still look cool? You’d have to have non-GamePad versions and a Wii Remote version, it didn’t seem like a natural fit for two player.

Lee Barber: Very messy.

Would like to know if this game will get any DLC at some point. Also any online aspects it might have outside of Miiverse. Which I hope is integrated into the game. Nintendo needs to get the official site up so we can have more information.

About DLC :
NL: Is DLC on the table as a potential idea, or do you consider the content on the disc to be the final product?

Loz Doyle: There are so many vehicles, characters and missions. There’s so much content in the game already – you’re talking 40-50 hours to get 100%, it’s difficult to imagine what we could put in. We wouldn’t rule it out, but it’d have to be the right thing to fit with the rest of the game.

About Miiverse integration :
NL: You’ve mentioned a camera in the game that allows you to take pictures and post them to Miiverse; is that auto-connected in the game or do you need to manually go to Miiverse?

Loz Doyle: If you’re online and signed in, you can just post onto Miiverse from within the game.

NL: Is that something that you’ll all be watching in the game’s community?

Loz Doyle: Oh yeah, it’ll be interesting to see what people are putting up there, what bugs they’ve found (laughs). But there are no bugs!

Steve Bate: From a LEGO designer’s perspective, there’s a rivalry to see which car gets posted the most!

Loz Doyle: Yeah, you can get some nice screenshots when you do boosted jumps.

AFAIK, Factor 5 were working on a 06 port to the Wii, along with Rouge Squadron Trilogy and Brutal Legend. But, you know, Factor 5, so we never saw it.

sad to know that if factor5 had just managed to get any of their wii games out they might just have survived

Mael

yikes, good to know we were spared that 06 port, I mean even F5 couldn't save that game!
Sad about the other 2, I would have bought that trilogy game!

CoolS

Suprised nobody was doing the OT for this, so I just went ahead and claimed it just now.

Really looking forward to it, and I hope the OT will become a thread where we can actually enjoy the game without going into a discussion about the WiiU in general.

Refyref

WHA? o_O First I heard of Factor 5 being behind a Wii version of '06, I knew Brutal Legend, but Sonic '06? o_O

sad to know that if factor5 had just managed to get any of their wii games out they might just have survived

yikes, good to know we were spared that 06 port, I mean even F5 couldn't save that game!
Sad about the other 2, I would have bought that trilogy game!

Searching again, I can't find anything about Factor 5's involvement with the 06 port, despite remembering it from some years ago.

There was definitely a Wii port once, though. In the end, Secret Rings was released instead.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
please pinch my arse, a positive EG article about Nintendo

it won't save shite, but I'll be damned if I'm not buying this day one

Mael

Searching again, I can't find anything about Factor 5's involvement with the 06 port, despite remembering it from some years ago.

There was definitely a Wii port once, though. In the end, Secret Rings was released instead.
It's SEGA, anything is possible with them.
Secret Rings is the better game anyway.

Suprised nobody was doing the OT for this, so I just went ahead and claimed it just now.

Really looking forward to it, and I hope the OT will become a thread where we can actually enjoy the game without going into a discussion about the WiiU in general.

Good luck on the OT, this game have my attention.

I'm pretty excited about this game, don't have a Wii U yet but when I get one this will be one of the games I pick up with it.

save the wiiU?

not going to happen. nobody is going to spend hundreds of bucks to get a console for this game

I highly doubt many are going to spend $400 to get this one game yes. That being said many people wait until there are several games they want, and this could play a role for them. I usually wait until there are around 4 games I want before I get a console for example, for the Wii U I am now up to 3.

So there may have been one good thing about Factor 5 going under.

It's SEGA, anything is possible with them.
Secret Rings is the better game anyway.

That's an understatement, I kind of like Secret Rings.

Treating a LEGO game as a flagship Wii U title isn't something that can actually appeal to the current western mainstream audience and "save" Wii U, really.

You know WiiU fans are desperate when they boast Lego City as a flagship title.

Lego games are definitely fun but that fun does not last long at all.

Zen

Banned
It does look very very good, but I can't see it saving the WiiU
especially when it gets ported anyway

Lego City Undercover looks great. No one is desperate to put this as a flagship title. Looking at past trailers and lots of positive previews, it appears the game itself put itself in the flagship title status. The game sounds like a blast.

Mael

To be fair console warriors are always silly, I mean no one would even cling to Killzone more than Haze if not for that marketing pushing it into Halo killer territory in the 1rst place.
It's less silly than xbox fans digging that Rare grave to trot out the corpse for all to see...
At least no one is cheerleading another Other M!

Eh. It's true that this isn't the sort of thing that'd get loads of focus with a fuller release calendar for the console, but this seems to be fundamentally more ambitious and content-rich than anything else which has been done with the Lego brand. If it's of the same level of quality that the Eurogamer preview says it is, I have no problem with it being a flagship, at least for the moment.

-MB-

I see no one in here touting this as some flagship title, just a bunch of Wiiu owners who are looking forward to this title. So drop the pretense will ya.

Desperate for a game that -->seems to be<--- incredibly good, yes.

We are hyped because it has good potential to be great, not because we are desperatly looking for a blockbuster to senselessly hype up.

The amount of negativity (thinly veiled trolling) in this thread is embarrassing.

No, a LEGO game won't single-handedly save the Wii U, but it has mainstream appeal and is looking to be a great addition to the seemingly barren Wii U software library which is in dire need of a blockbuster title. Furthermore, it will never be ported to other platforms. Never ever. The glorified port begging in every Nintendo thread has got to stop. Not only did Nintendo fund this project, but the game is filled with dozens of Nintendo references and Chase McCain utilizes a GamePad.

wsippel

Banned
Lego City Undercover looks great. No one is desperate to put this as a flagship title. Looking at past trailers and lots of positive previews, it appears the game itself put itself in the flagship title status. The game sounds like a blast.
It was announced by Nintendo back at their E3 2011 press conference as Lego City Stories, and revealed at Nintendo's E3 2012 press conference. It was one of the very first games announced for the platform, and one of the most prominently highlighted. Even Wonderful 101 didn't warrant a press conference reveal for Nintendo. Lego City did. So Nintendo certainly seems to consider it a "flagship title". And they already considered it a big title when they didn't know the system wouldn't sell all that great, or that many games would be delayed, so it's not even like Iwata suddenly pulled it out of his ass because they have nothing else.

pvpness

To be fair console warriors are always silly, I mean no one would even cling to Killzone more than Haze if not for that marketing pushing it into Halo killer territory in the 1rst place.
It's less silly than xbox fans digging that Rare grave to trot out the corpse for all to see...
At least no one is cheerleading another Other M!

Heh, yeah.. *shifty eyes*

Mael

The amount of negativity (thinly veiled trolling) in this thread is embarrassing.

No, a LEGO game won't single-handedly save the Wii U, but it has mainstream appeal and is looking to be a great addition to the seemingly barren Wii U software library which is in dire need of a blockbuster title. Furthermore, it will never be ported to other platforms. Never ever. The glorified port begging in every Nintendo thread has got to stop. Not only did Nintendo fund this project, but the game is filled with dozens of Nintendo references and Chase McCain utilizes a GamePad.

But I want to see people portbeg the next 3D Mario for their playstations!

'A Lego game'. It could be a game about midgets from a parallel dimension, it wouldn't matter as long as it's good. This game happens to look good, and if you're paying attention to the previews it plays nothing like the other Lego games, so we can't pretend to know what it has to offer or dismiss it on those grounds.

I personally am hyped for this one.

Treating a LEGO game as a flagship Wii U title isn't something that can actually appeal to the current western mainstream audience and "save" Wii U, really.

Well as I note above your post I don't think this one game will "save" the Wii U but I do think it will be one of a lineup of games that gets people interested. Also, I think it could help in just getting people talking about the system, especially if it does use the Gamepad well. Will that "save" the system? Of course not, but it chould help the Wii U break out of its 11k a week sales.

-MB-

It sounds like the lads over at Eurogamer are doing their pals down the street a solid. TT are most likely sweating the fact that the Wii U is dead in the UK and went to Eurogamer to help get the word out.

Really need to do better then that.

1/10

Yes trolling is very obvious when there are posts who claim they have played Lego games. This is a very different Lego game, full of charm, content and some great gamepad use. Lego games are very mainstream but it can help and it can continue to sell beyond its launch. The article states it can save the Wii U, but no one in this thread praising this game has said this is our flagship title or our saviour.

Before trolling please take at least 5 minutes to read.

WB games is even porting Batman DC 2. I played that on the Wii but more mainstream games the better for Wii U. I might end up picking also that up on Wii U on the cheap.

Top Bottom