• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Lego City could blow the franchise wide open/save the WiiU [Dont port beg]

Cosmozone

I really hope the game is as great as I want it to be. They did a great job hyping me up with those videos. This happened only twice to me so far: for MGS3 and for Twilight Princess. Love those cutscenes. The video with the helicopter scene at the end was the best one, great facial animation on the girl. And a oneliner that rhymes. Good stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CyH8Na_Hck

acm2000

i really dont see why this would save the wiiu, a lego game wont sell a console, even less likely given lego city is a very dull lego brand too

At the end of march my WiiU will burn a lot of money :/

This, NFSMWU, and MHU (+one of those sexy Tritton headsets) ... something, something, first world, something.

Davey Cakes

This game won't be a system seller alone, I don't think. But added in with the games already out and the games upcoming, it's one more "plus" for the console and could drive sales eventually. Considering that it's one of the bigger Wii U games coming out in the next few months, Nintendo should try to effectively market it, if not to sell the game then to at least raise awareness of it and the Wii U as a platform with attractive exclusive games.

People putting focus into a game like this is a good thing. Like I've said about Rayman Legends in the past, on Wii U that kind of game gets a lot of attention that it may not get elsewhere. A game that normally doesn't seem like the most interesting development on any other console is put into the spotlight on Wii U. This is NOT a bad thing; it means that deserving games get the right amount of attention and press rather than being "thrown into the pile."

Also, thinking about the Wii U's current and upcoming library, you can say the Wii U has NSMB, Nintendo Land, Pikmin 3, Lego City Undercover, Bayonetta 2, and Wonderful 101. I'm just using these as examples. Anyway, that's a diverse selection of high profile EXCLUSIVE games, which definitely helps the Wii U sound like an interesting alternative console. What I'm hoping for the Wii U is that it eventually sells based on pure differentiation and not just "being an X360/PS3 with Nintendo games."

That answers that, then :V

I wonder how much came from that publishing deal. I wonder if they approached Telltale 3 years ago to make an exclusive game for their new platform (would have been a very wise decision). I wonder if they fronted them a TON of cash to keep such a huge game exclusive and allow such extensive development time.

Or if TellTale made most of the game and Nintendo picked it up and it will eventually find its way to other platforms like Mass Effect :V At the very least I'm sure sequels will be multiplatform.

Traveler's Tales man ;) I always make that mistake too
EDIT: I wonder what a telltale Lego game would look like

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Ask about the framerate, curious if it's 30 or 60, aren't PS360 Lego games usually 60fps?

Also ask about Off-TV Play. Unlikely with the scanner...

Will do. Framerate is iffy as PR doesn't always know. Seems obvious they would, but sometimes they're just not told. I have a pretty decent eye for these things, so I should be able spot if it's closer to 30 or 60 anywho.

I'll ask about off-TV play too.

prag16

Banned
It's on my maybe pile. I'll be playing it at a press event on Friday, so I can answer some questions and provide some feedback then!

NICE! I'm on the fence about this one as well; the recent info has gotten me more interested, but still would like to hear more.

deviljho

Will do. Framerate is iffy as PR doesn't always know. Seems obvious they would, but sometimes they're just not told. I have a pretty decent eye for these things, so I should be able spot if it's closer to 30 or 60 anywho.

Then count all the pixels for us while you're at it. kthx

... just kidding ;)

i really dont see why this would save the wiiu, a lego game wont sell a console, even less likely given lego city is a very dull lego brand too

Dude, did you grow up with Lego at all? It's the original/classic, coolest in town Lego!

Knights, Space and Pirates were great too, then it got crazy and kinda random.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Lego City on GBA was one of my favourite games on the system. Hope it takes some stuff from there

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.

Ask them when they are going to make a Lego game with the game play from Minecraft?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Ask them when they are going to make a Lego game with the game play from Minecraft?

Somehow I doubt the Nintendo Australia PR dude has the answer to this :p.

Bert

bundle it with a Lego skinned Wii U please

So I'm going down the thread going "damn this game looks awesome but its the only reason I'd want a Wii U, can't justify that".

Then I hit this post. Sold. Give me a Lego Wii U even better if the gamepad has brick connections on it, and Ill gladly pay £300 to only play one game.

So I'm going down the thread going "damn this game looks awesome but its the only reason I'd want a Wii U, can't justify that".

Then I hit this post. Sold. Give me a Lego Wii U even better if the gamepad has brick connections on it, and Ill gladly pay £300 to only play one game.

there was a lego wii remote a few years ago

Davey Cakes

You don't even need to have an actual Lego Wii U. Just buy a regular Wii U, and build around it with Legos, blocking everything except for all the necessary ports, disc drive, vents, etc. At that point you'd basically have a Lego system.

"My Wii U is a CASTLE. Your argument is invalid."

Ridley327

Ask about the framerate, curious if it's 30 or 60, aren't PS360 Lego games usually 60fps?

Also ask about Off-TV Play. Unlikely with the scanner...

The recent HD Lego games decided to drop the framerate from 60 to 30 fps, and I think that started with the Clone Wars game. I think they got tired of people bitching about all the screen tearing, so they enabled it and implemented motion blur to make up for it.

CoolS

Sorry for the post stamp size (I couldn't find that screenshot at a reasonable size), but... is that a rideable t-rex skeleton?! Oh my...

300x200.jpg

This really is awesome. Found the bigger image:

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Somehow I doubt the Nintendo Australia PR dude has the answer to this :p.

Ok, but you could still plant the seed of the idea!

On a serious note, ask them if there are any plans to release NFC scan-able Lego toys/characters for use in the game.

Would you mind asking if there has been or will be plans to port this to other platforms?

Allow me.

"There are no plans for multiplatform versions. Nintendo funded and is publishing this game. :)"

There may have once been multiplat plans, but they would have been shelved as soon as Nintendo came knocking with chequebook in hand.

pvpness

Lego City should, at this point, be treated like Gears: Judgement and God of War: Ascension: exclusive to the announced platform and publisher. So quit yer port speculating and get back on track for discussion. EDIT: The meta "gaf hates the wii u" commentary needs to stop too. Talk about the topic, stop feeding conversation you don't agree with, and derailing the thread with meta commentary.

I'm pretty torn on Lego City. I think the idea looks cool and the execution looks pretty solid. I've also liked the Lego games I've played so far. But I'm not fond of the humour shown in the videos so far, the Lego games tend to be pretty basic in content and gameplay, and I generally loathe playing open world games on consoles (framerate/rendering issues so damn frequent).

It's on my maybe pile. I'll be playing it at a press event on Friday, so I can answer some questions and provide some feedback then!

Would you mind asking if there has been or will be plans to port this to other platforms?

Got me to lol KG.

This really is awesome. Found the bigger image:

How did I miss this before?? Terrorizing an airport with a reanimated T-Rex has always been one of my dreams!

Port begging is a bannable offense.

He knows that, been here longer than me and just a bit after you. It's a joke.

I'll be getting the 3DS version.

I was very happy when I found out that it appears to be open world just like the Wii U version. With any luck this might be a turning point where the handheld LEGO games don't have to be shitty ports of the DS version.

Allow me.

"There are no plans for multiplatform versions. Nintendo funded and is publishing this game. :)"

There may have once been multiplat plans, but they would have been shelved as soon as Nintendo came knocking with chequebook in hand.

More like,

"There are no plans for multiplatform versions. The Wii U Gamepad is what makes this game. It is a great piece of tech that allowed us to expand the game in ways that wouldn't be possible on other systems, so it must be exclusive to the Wii U.

Also, ignore that huge ceremonial check from Nintendo on the wall behind us."

I think they would probably leave out the last part.

Gahiggidy

He knows that, been here longer than me and just a bit after you. It's a joke.

Yeah, I was referring to EatsChildren port begging in real life... joking that neoGaf monitors us outside the forum.

DjRoomba

Banned
Something like this might be cooler if they fully embraced the Lego-ness and have everything be made out of lego and be destructible/buildable, instead of just a few things being lego in a mostly ordinary world. I might not play that game still, but it is a far more interesting idea. This just looks like the same kind of lego game with the same kinda crappy gameplay theyve been putting out for the last several years, without any of the movie licenses to make it interesting or worthwhile. What's fun about the lego games is that they do a good job of making decent licensed games, but that is completely missing here. This will be the savior the Wii U? wtf eurogamer

Sorry for the post stamp size (I couldn't find that screenshot at a reasonable size), but... is that a rideable t-rex skeleton?! Oh my...

300x200.jpg

I must have this!!!

Also there's the airport! :D
I also saw it in the world map that was posted in another thread.

Too bad it doesn't mean much as GTA IV also had an airport and still no planes..
Good thing there's at least helicopters.

Something like this might be cooler if they fully embraced the Lego-ness and have everything be made out of lego and be destructible/buildable, instead of just a few things being lego in a mostly ordinary world. I might not play that game still, but it is a far more interesting idea. This just looks like the same kind of lego game with the same kinda crappy gameplay theyve been putting out for the last several years, without any of the movie licenses to make it interesting or worthwhile. What's fun about the lego games is that they do a good job of making decent licensed games, but that is completely missing here. This will be the savior the Wii U? wtf eurogamer

You know, maybe, just maybe what they played of the game was really fun?

pvpness

Yeah, I was referring to EatsChildren port begging in real life... joking that neoGaf monitors us outside the forum.

Derp, misunderstood. That idea shouldn't creep me out, but it does. Kinda reminds me of getting banned from comic shops when I was a kid actually. Lol.

The recent HD Lego games decided to drop the framerate from 60 to 30 fps, and I think that started with the Clone Wars game. I think they got tired of people bitching about all the screen tearing, so they enabled it and implemented motion blur to make up for it.
Additionally, TT already mentioned the scale increase and camera shift for this game necessitating a lot more complexity for rendering/physics. Don't get your hopes up for anything over 30fps.

Crom

Anyone else think it's perfect timing for this game and Monster Hunter U to come out for the system???

I mean, those two games alone(if you choose to play them) will last tons of hours/maybe weeks/maybe months and then the games should start appearing.

Yeah, they could have used a game or two like this at launch but I am glad they didn't rush this particular robust game.

I wish they would have spaced them out.

For Example:

Monster Hunter would have been good in Feb

Need for Speed would have been good at beginning of March

Lego City could have kept its release date - March 18th

Instead all 3 release the same week.

I wish they would have spaced them out.

For Example:

Monster Hunter would have been good in Feb

Need for Speed would have been good at beginning of March

Lego City could have kept its release date - March 18th

Instead all 3 release the same week.

its quite possible that all 3 wont be for release til late march, also easter is typically a good point for nintendo sales

Ridley327

Additionally, TT already mentioned the scale increase and camera shift for this game necessitating a lot more complexity for rendering/physics. Don't get your hopes up for anything over 30fps.
Has there even been a proper sandbox game that's been over 30 fps on the consoles? I think all of them have been 30 fps with lots of drops. I don't see how this game would be any different in that regard.

Really excited about this game, love the humor

Has there even been a proper sandbox game that's been over 30 fps on the consoles? I think all of them have been 30 fps with lots of drops. I don't see how this game would be any different in that regard.

Can only think of Minecraft on 360

Top Bottom