• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Every Xbox One Includes a Chat Headset!! + Xbox One Day One Unboxing

Careful Microsoft, pedal any harder and you'll break that backpedal.

Excellent post. If you would prefer them NOT to include free things so you can justify your ps4 purchase, then why come into this thread?

Is there such pedal as a backpedal? Sounds like a "jerkstore" comment to me.

Forsythia

I really don't mind Kinect being included. At least every developer can implement Kinect features, as every Xbox One owner has one. Not that I want to be moving in front of my tv like an idiot, but I bet indie developers could do some real nice things with Kinect.

m23

I really don't mind Kinect being included. At least every developer can implement Kinect features, as every Xbox One owner has one. Not that I want to be moving in front of my tv like an idiot, but I bet indie developers could do some real nice things with Kinect.

Yeah I agree. I have kinect but its unplugged and just sitting there. Kinect2 feels much more important and integral to the console so it will get much more use. I really want to see some new and interesting things done with it.

ekim

Agreed. The "day one" thing is a little silly. Whenever a corporation attempts to use a forum meme on their product, it's always going to come off as dad's trying to be cool.

A lot of game releases had day one editions - it's not just a forum meme.

see5harp

EDIT: Are some of you actually surprised it comes with an HDMI cable? By law it has to be able to operate out of the box...not including a HDMI cord (when there's no other video out) would be illegal. It's like when people were praising Wii U for coming with an HDMI cable.

Please, neither the 360 nor PS3 came with an HDMI cable.

I think people are only talking shit about the fact that Major Nelson is devoting time to specifically describe this HDMI cable like it's some sort of special high speed cable that isn't readily available to consumers.

I think the point is clarify that it's not a POS HDMI cable, but a good one.

Whilst I've no idea about his legal thing - sounds dubious, you get loads of toys without batteries for example - the 360 and PS3 whilst not boxed with a HDMI cable came with alternative video out cables (at least the ones I purchased did).

see5harp

Whilst I've no idea about his legal thing - sounds dubious, you get loads of toys without batteries for example - the 360 and PS3 whilst not boxed with a HDMI cable came with alternative video out cables (at least the ones I purchased did).

Yea, the launch 360 even had component cables, which was actually shocking considering they went years and years forcing people to buy extremely expensive video cables. At 360 launch though, I (and I suspect many others) didn't even have an HDTV.

Vestal

Gold Member
both came with some sort of video cable.

if they didn't include it in the box they would have to put a sign on the box stating "HDMI cable sold separately, required to operate." which would look stupid as fuck.

Chitown B

in a year no one is going care or remember this stuff except those who insist on being butthurt for their own amusement and to annoy others.

I'm happy all this still is changing well before launch. at launch most regular gamers aren't even going to realize what changed.

Forsythia

The reason it bugs me is that if it breaks, I wouldn't be able to play my console that is in perfect working condition, even if I don't give a shit about anything kinect.

I agree. I hope MS has a workaround for that (but that would mean Kinect doesn't have to be connected at all, so I guess... they haven't). Reminds me of this:

mac-vs-pc-webcam-is-broken-769830.jpg

Chitown B

Yea, the launch 360 even had component cables, which was actually shocking considering they went years and years forcing people to buy extremely expensive video cables. At 360 launch though, I (and I suspect many others) didn't even have an HDTV.

component cables are HD cables. you mean composite.

the launch systems didn't even have HDMI outputs. Only two years later did they start offering models with HDMI. They never forced anyone to buy "extremely expensive HDMI cables" - you could always use any HDMI cable. But they were just intrinsically very expensive when they first came out, in any brand.

Ovid

I don't think the OG 360 had HDMI support.

m23

component cables are HD cables. you mean composite.

the launch systems didn't even have HDMI outputs. Only two years later did they start offering models with HDMI. They never forced anyone to buy "extremely expensive HDMI cables" - you could always use any HDMI cable. But they were just intrinsically very expensive when they first came out, in any brand.

If you went with the pro version of launch 360 they included component cables.

VanWinkle

I'll assume you're joking here. HDMI is the ONLY video out source the PS4 and Xbox One have, so obviously HDMI is what they will include. PS3 and 360 had other forms of video out. They still included a method of plugging it into your TV.

see5harp

I don't think the OG 360 had HDMI support.

Of course not, I was just saying that even when it did support HDMI later on, they didn't include one. I skipped the Elite at the beginning and went straight to the slim down the road.

I'll assume you're joking here. HDMI is the ONLY video out source the PS4 and Xbox One have, so obviously HDMI is what they will include. PS3 and 360 had other forms of video out. They still included a method of plugging it into your TV.

Well yea, I just wouldn't be surprised with either of these systems if they forced people to buy a cable. I've bought plenty of things that weren't quite complete out of the box.

Dunlop

Added in July 2007 with the Zephyr motherboard revision, yeah. The original HDMI-less models could use VGA cables and some fuckexpensive third party DVI cables, though.
Zephyr was the original I believe, it was the falcon revision that added hdmi..or I am talking out of my ass

My ps3 fat also came with composite cables and that definitely had hdmi

VanWinkle

Well yea, I just wouldn't be surprised with either of these systems if they forced people to buy a cable. I've bought plenty of things that weren't quite complete out of the box.

I would. I've definitely never seen a console that doesn't operate out of the box before.

bj00rn_

Banned
Sorry to break it to you but that 50 dollar gold plated HDMI cable you may have bought does the same thing as any 2$ cable.

Which is basically what he said; There is no POS cables, thus logically the one in the Xbox One package is a good cable. Which was also Nelson's point of mentioning it for a whole 5 seconds: "This is all the cabling you need; fits all scenarios, 4k included".

OOOOH SHIT! This is awesome! Just found out about this. Great decision Microsoft. If it is better than that cheap piece of shit Sony is offering I may actually switch to Xbox One.

I'm sure the Xbox One headset is of better quality since they made it to be sold and due to pressure from the community they bundled it in. Personally I don't like headsets that go over the head. That said, the one included with the PS4 looks pretty cheap and I can imagine it falling out of my big ass ears quite easily. The best thing Sony did was include a 3.5mm jack on the controller, I should hopefully be able to use my in-ear headphones with in-line mic with the machine.

I love how everything positive has to be spun into a negative. You guys are pretty amazing, in fact this whole thread has been an eye opener.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

Chitown B

I'm sure the Xbox One headset is of better quality since they made it to be sold and due to pressure from the community they bundled it in. Personally I don't like headsets that go over the head. That said, the one included with the PS4 looks pretty cheap and I can imagine it falling out of my big ass ears quite easily. The best thing Sony did was include a 3.5mm jack on the controller, I should hopefully be able to use my in-ear headphones with in-line mic with the machine.

you don't like over the head headsets? that's kind of the entire description. headsets. not earsets or earbuds. Stays on much easier.

I use headphones (a50's) usually anyway but I still like the original 360 headset.

MoneyHats

Banned
What's people's obsession with internal PSUs? Both my NES and Genesis had big power bricks.

sony has spoiled me i guess

It's just choice engineering, keeping the PSU away from other components is a wise engineering decision, these components get hot, there's no reason why it should be in there.

You either put this inside the console and generate more heat:

$T2eC16ZHJIEFHSr7Kl9KBS!Y1vSoDw~~60_3.JPG

Or you choose to keep it outside of the box and put it inside a nice case like this:

ibojKxsXuOitW8.png

I actually prefer less heat to be generated from the box, even if the vents and fan work well to pump the heat out, its going to pump into my AV cabinet which could get hot even though it's vented in the back and I have some fans in there to help.

ToyBroker

Banned
It's just choice engineering, keeping the PSU away from other components is a wise engineering decision, these components get hot, there's no reason why it should be in there.

You either put this inside the console and generate more heat:

$T2eC16ZHJIEFHSr7Kl9KBS!Y1vSoDw~~60_3.JPG

Or you choose to keep it outside of the box and put it inside a nice case like this:

ibojKxsXuOitW8.png

I actually prefer less heat to be generated from the box, even if the vents and fan work well to pump the heat out, its going to pump into my AV cabinet which could get hot even though it's vented in the back and I have some fans in there to help.

Engineering wiz up in here.

Apparently Sony have no clue as to what they are doing.

MoneyHats

Banned
Engineering wiz up in here.

Apparently Sony have no clue as to what they are doing.

That's not what I said.

I do know that my PS3 got really hot and I did perform repairs on it myself so I've had hands-on with the PSU. The fan wasn't the issue, I had the version with the extra blades, turned out I needed new thermal paste. Anyway there really isn't anything special about the PSU other than the fact that it's placed inside the console.

There it is in the middle:

IMG_0606.jpg

Top Bottom