• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Every Xbox One Includes a Chat Headset!! + Xbox One Day One Unboxing

see5harp

I wouldn't say plenty. A small minority, if that.

Can they be used with PS4?

It doesn't need to because they are bundling one with the system. The Vita sold the cheap earbuds separately and party chat wasn't that great with everyone on speakerphone. It would be a nice bonus if any set worked.

see5harp

I'm sure the Xbox One headset is of better quality since they made it to be sold and due to pressure from the community they bundled it in. Personally I don't like headsets that go over the head. That said, the one included with the PS4 looks pretty cheap and I can imagine it falling out of my big ass ears quite easily. The best thing Sony did was include a 3.5mm jack on the controller, I should hopefully be able to use my in-ear headphones with in-line mic with the machine.

That does seem cool but the main issue I have with using some decent in ears is that you basically lose all hearing in one ear. If you've got a decent surround system I find the cheap open air ghetto 360 solution to work fine.

SPDIF

He's referring to a headset like the one that comes with XB1, not headphones. Voice chat headsets.

We are talking about voice chat headsets, not headphones.

Thanks for the double reminder, but not everyone was.

Besides, I don't know why phones have been brought into the conversation. Using a phone is a different user experience compared to online gaming. When you're gaming would you really prefer a single ear bud that could quite easily fall out of your ear, or would you prefer an actual headset?

Orayn

That does seem cool but the main issue I have with using some decent in ears is that you basically lose all hearing in one ear. If you've got a decent surround system I find the cheap open air ghetto 360 solution to work fine.

The 3.5mm jack on the PS4 controller supports stereo and a microphone through a TRRS connector, like iPhone earbuds or any Wii U headset.

Apdiddy

Until I see the PS4 unboxing, I'm hesistant to say I would prefer one over the other (if at all due to having pay for multiplayer access on both systems).

But still, the Xbox One is a very nice looking console -- I like the glassy surface for the power button. I also like you can just slide in the discs in the tray (yay! No more walking by the system and the system powering on!)

JaggedSac

Besides, I don't know why phones have been brought into the conversation. Using a phone is a different user experience compared to online gaming. When you're gaming would you really prefer a single ear bud that could quite easily fall out of your ear, or would you prefer an actual headset?

Actual headset is the fucking way to go. I'm thinking about buying some nice ones with 5.1 sound so I can play later at night and still hear what the hell is going on without waking my wife, lol. But these will do until I decide on a pair after the Bone launches.

see5harp

The 3.5mm jack on the PS4 controller supports stereo and a microphone through a TRRS connector, like iPhone earbuds or any Wii U headset.

Well if every game is going to broadcast both voice and game volume to the headset, that sounds pretty good. I'm interested in how you control all of that stuff also.

A headset designed for gaming with a microphone sticking out at the side, no. But there's plenty of people who use headphones with their phone.
Yeah sure, especially those Beats headphones with inline mics. But I'm specifically asking about headsets like the one included with the Xbone, since that's what GavinGT was referring to. He made it sound like the most likely reason those aren't included with phones is because of the extra packaging it would necessitate. But that's not even an issue because there isn't even a demand for it. High fidelity headphones is a whole other category. Those are for the same people who wear a full-sized pair of AKGs or such, while listening to their iPod walking down the street. These cheap gaming headsets don't offer the same boost in audio quality to offset the ugly aesthetics.

You mean there's some stigma against using over-the-head headphones in public? That's news to me.
Don't try to move goal posts. See my response above this. You were specifically talking about headsets like the one being included with the Xbone, because that's what the person you quoted was talking about. It's not the same as an actual high fidelity pair of headphones. There are plenty of people rocking Beats, Senns, Grados, etc.. How many people do you see wearing single earpiece telemarketer half-headsets in public? Do you really want to reaffirm your argument that they don't include them with phones because of the packaging? It was a silly thing to suggest. You can admit to it, leave it alone, or continue trying to spin it into a different argument.

Sinagin

Banned
Between the console, the camera, and the power brick, it's almost laughable how big and how much space this thing is going to take up for people who buy it.

Also LOL @ HDMI cable PR bullshit.

Nah, i like the design. Nice and conservative, fits nicely with me entertainment systems. More than happy to sacrifice size for a quiet console.
Good HDMI cable info, dont feel like PR at all.

VanWinkle

I didn't bring phones into the conversation, though. Somebody who was mocking the PS4 headset did. Now, in regards to your question, I've never had earbuds fall out of my ear so I would prefer the lightweight ones that get out of my way. But my whole argument has been that neither style is inherently better than the other. That's why, despite me preferring the PS4 headset style more than the XB1 headset style, I would never write off the XB1 style or say it's terrible without trying it, because that would be immature and ignorant.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Why choose? Get 'em all!

3DS - Vita - x64 Titan/Radeon 9XXX i7 1Gbps 16GBDDR3 Windows 7 Pro/Red Hat Dual Boot PC - PS4 - Xbox One - Wii U

Collect them all and send the box tops to General Mill's for a FREE pizza party at your school!

SPDIF

I didn't bring phones into the conversation, though. Somebody who was mocking the PS4 headset did. Now, in regards to your question, I've never had earbuds fall out of my ear so I would prefer the lightweight ones that get out of my way. But my whole argument has been that neither style is inherently better than the other. That's why, despite me preferring the PS4 headset style more than the XB1 headset style, I would never write off the XB1 style or say it's terrible without trying it, because that would be immature and ignorant.

And that's fair enough. I have the opposite opinion, but I agree. Although from personal experience whenever I've attempted to use a single ear bud, it's never worked out. I can only assume you have very small ears, or you were using a very well designed set of ear buds.

VanWinkle

And that's fair enough. I have the opposite opinion, but I agree. Although from personal experience whenever I've attempted to use a single ear bud, it's never worked out. I can only assume you have very small ears, or you were using a very well designed set of ear buds.

I have fairly big ears (I'm a fairly big guy). Earbuds, mono headsets or stereo headphones, always fit perfect. Now, IEMs...THOSE I have major issues with.

GavinGT

Banned
Don't try to move goal posts. See my response above this. You were specifically talking about headsets like the one being included with the Xbone, because that's what the person you quoted was talking about. It's not the same as an actual high fidelity pair of headphones. There are plenty of people rocking Beats, Senns, Grados, etc.. How many people do you see wearing single earpiece telemarketer half-headsets in public? Do you really want to reaffirm your argument that they don't include them with phones because of the packaging? It was a silly thing to suggest. You can admit to it, leave it alone, or continue trying to spin it into a different argument.

Everyone is seemingly arguing about a different thing at this point. And you're way too aggressively defending your unique argument. You win, bro. My blood pressure can't handle this.

Bsigg12

And that's fair enough. I have the opposite opinion, but I agree with your point. Although from personal experience whenever I've attempted to use a single ear bud, it's never worked out. I can only assume you have very small ears, or you were using a very well designed set of ear buds.

Bose in ear headphones with mic inline

Basic (I have these)

Noise Cancelling (I would love these)

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Everyone is seemingly arguing about a different thing at this point. And you're way too aggressively defending your unique argument. You win, bro. My blood pressure can't handle this.

Kinect 2.0 will be able to sense your blood pressure when internet message board arguments become too heated and temporarily block off Gaf by sending an access list rule to your router in addition to a firewall filter.

I mean come on how dare Microsoft listen to us and do what we ask , those jerks !Those terrible so-an so's ... I think we can say the best man for the job ,is a woman , great job Julie Larson Green ! everything has only gotten better since she has taken over Xbox.

You're right. It can be hard to follow who's arguing what sometimes. But relax a bit. It's not worth high blood pressure. I'll admit to occasionally getting a little overzealous over inconsequential Internet arguments(or even IRL). Aren't many Gaffers like that? But we're all GAF gaming bros and bronettes. *Mutual gamer fist*

Archpath1

Kinect 2.0 will be able to sense your blood pressure when internet message board arguments become too heated and temporarily block off Gaf by sending an access list rule to your router in addition to a firewall filter.

Kinect will now know "if your mad bro" and will ragequit for you

RussellXV

Not sure if I've ever seen so many u-turns for a product's release before.

Although I'm not getting an X1 at launch, I'm happy for all those who are. The headset looks nice, but I hope the mic quality is closer to the original wireless headset than the ones included with the 360.

Sinagin

Banned
This guy Larry.

If you are not American, he just makes the whole Xbox brand even more alienating. I don't understand where he is coming from or have any reference point with guys that are similar to him.

He makes Xbox seem a million miles away from what I am as a gamer.

So, does he have to dress up in a fat suite and full of pimples?

Broank

One thing the One has is it's box looks a heck of a lot nicer/classier than the PS4's, at least from what I've seen.

Actual consoles PS4 looks better though.

idk why they opted to have "Day one 2013" logo on the controller. should have just left that out and change the color of the controller or something.

idk why they opted to have "Day one 2013" logo on the controller. should have just left that out and change the color of the controller or something.

Agreed. The "day one" thing is a little silly. Whenever a corporation attempts to use a forum meme on their product, it's always going to come off as dad's trying to be cool.

From a production-line perspective, doing a separate colour SKU, even for one component & the first-run is more costly than pressing over a special logo.

Enordash

Even though they are kinda setting the precedent of "bitch enough and you'll get your way" (which is far too much power for some people to have) I'm pretty happy with all of the changes they have made based on gamer feedback. I don't get why people want something to change then give them shit about a 180 when they actually get their way. I'm getting pretty psyched to own all 3 consoles this holiday! Maybe Nintendo should look into this 180 business so I won't feel so bad about the WiiU.

boohowc

Banned
i'd prefer the "Day one" be on the backside. too much shame being front and center.

in all seriousness...would just prefer some sort of live subscription instead of this silly stuff.

hwy_61

Banned
Bit OT here, but is this thing going to be a good replacement for TiVo, or should I just hang on to the TiVo I have now?

Sorry for the dumb question, I just haven't been on the up an up.

eek5

Man they're going at it pretty hard lately. I like where this is going.. usually it takes a lot longer for a company to realize they fucked up'

Next up is including a battery with the controller.. lol

Bsigg12

Bit OT here, but is this thing going to be a good replacement for TiVo, or should I just hang on to the TiVo I have now?

Sorry for the dumb question, I just haven't been on the up an up.

Hold onto your TiVo. This can't act as a DVR or access your DVR unless something
magical
has changed.

dcx4610

I wish we could get people passionate enough to petition against Xbox Live now.

Multiplayer and SmartMatch only. Everything else should be free. It's ridiculous that the masses have bought into the notion that you should pay for online, much less standard features.

Micro-USB on controller means that I'll need an adapter to plug it into my PC. I wonder if support will be native or we will have to wait on PC drivers.

Either way, I need a new controller so here's hoping that I can plug and play

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004GETLY2/?tag=neogaf0e-20.
Although I assume they will allow you to plug it in to a PC and play, either they will release a driver or someone else will within a week.

Umm... so this is capable of 4K video but ONLY up to 30fps. If I'm not mistaken, HDMI 1.4 only maxes out a 30fps for a 4K feed.
Don't most movies run on 24fps? I mean, I doubt we will be getting to 4k Games soon. Just 1080p is extremely expensive.

Top Bottom