• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2016 |OT| Daniil Kvyat Simulator

Risgroo

Ughhh I hate the Hungaroring.
BSFJsCo.gif

Nyx

F1 2015 had crazy Ai on canada, maybe because there's lots of straights.

Just did the 35-lap GP after struggling in FP and Q and I have to take back my earlier post, it's not that bad.

That last sector though....

Finished 8th again but with another corner cutting penalty it became 10th place.

Fox Mulder

Anyone having weird "pops" with the sound of the engines?

I was watching the AI drive around and heard a McLaren make something like this. Their engine actually sounds like a prop plane, so I thought it was in the game. I didn't hear it again later though and all engines sound alike.

Randdalf

Finished 6th on Montreal (Manor racing, Hard, 50%). That track is so much fun to drive, there were some pretty hilarious AI pile-ups too. There was one point the safety car was called out to deal with it, then when it came in, they crashed again. My strategy was US -> S -> US. I was going purple in all sectors when I put on the second set of ultrasofts, and Vettel was the only other one who put them on, which I think jumped him from 5th to 3rd.

Mad1723

How do you do the tyre management practice exactly?

You drive smooth and fast. You gotta keep your tires in a good shape by not scrubbing (steering too much when the tires are already at max turn-in) and keeping it under the time limit. Easier with a wheel I'm guessing, didn't try it with a controller here.

You drive smooth and fast. You gotta keep your tires in a good shape by not scrubbing (steering too much when the tires are already at max turn-in) and keeping it under the time limit. Easier with a wheel I'm guessing, didn't try it with a controller here.

Yeah I tried with a controller, tried to brake and turn as gentle as I can but the speed sacrifices are just too big, maybe it is indeed better on a wheel as you have more control on fine tuned turning.

Zaru

Steering too much is the big poison for tyre wear.

Basically, on a pad, drive as fast as you can without making your controller vibrate.

Ruruja

The audio's a little iffy with headphones.

Cars about 7 corners away can sound like they're right next to you, kinda confusing!

Steering too much is the big poison for tyre wear.

Basically, on a pad, drive as fast as you can without making your controller vibrate.

That is a lot harder than it sounds lol. I'll just skip that for now. Also is there a way to run the track training to get familiar with the tracks without entering career?

DD

I was watching the AI drive around and heard a McLaren make something like this. Their engine actually sounds like a prop plane, so I thought it was in the game. I didn't hear it again later though and all engines sound alike.

Cars about 7 corners away can sound like they're right next to you, kinda confusing!

It's really weird and confusing sometimes.

And yes, I'm playing with headphones.

Tried the game fir the first time yesterday and noticed other bugs too. I hope they fix it. Never had anything like this before. =/

Jibbed

Turn the 'other car' audio down to 5 in the advanced settings, and set the output type to 'surround headphones'.

Sounds awesome.

It's really weird and confusing sometimes.

And yes, I'm playing with headphones.

Tried the game fir the first time yesterday and noticed other bugs too. I hope they fix it. Never had anything like this before. =/

Anyone having weird "pops" with the sound of the engines?

The McLaren sound is actually what the car sounds like off-throttle in real life.

It's to do with the flow of exhaust gasses through the monkey-seat and diffuser. Can confirm this as I was at Silverstone and it had me in tears.

Juicy Bob

I have honestly not had this much fun with a F1 racing game since Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix 2.
It's the little things like the tyre wear graph after the practice programme showing your lap times and deg level and how that links into the personalised strategy in races.

That's some sim shit right there and I love it.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Guys...

...this is a fucking good F1 game.

It really is. After dozens of hours in F1 2014 and skipping 2015, I'm really glad I went ahead and got this (PS4 this time, 2014 was Steam).

I went with Haas for my career, and I've had some awesome white-knuckle experiences already.

Sickbean

It really is. After dozens of hours in F1 2014 and skipping 2015, I'm really glad I went ahead and got this (PS4 this time, 2014 was Steam).

I went with Haas for my career, and I've had some awesome white-knuckle experiences already.

It's a legitimately great Motorsport sim, almost as good as Pcars in that respect but with less of the issues of that game and far more polish.

LilJoka

I just played the Bahrain weekend with the McLaren.
I used a setup from racedepartment and put in laps around 1.38-.1.37.xxx.
Did 1 lap in Q1/2/3 and ended up in 5th place.
Lost a place at the start to a fast starting RBR, but then managed to pass the RBR after 2 laps. Up next was Vettel who was a lot slower on Softs, while I was on Super Softs.
Cruised passed him and had Rosberg, Verstappen, Hamilton, Kimi in front. Kimi crashed out around lap 5.
I passed Rosberg a and soon Verstappen pitted.
I pitted around lap 8 iirc, with about 60% tyre wear, I went passed the scheduled stop as my timings hadn't dropped and my first sector kept getting faster. When I was down in S1 I pitted.
I come out behind Verstappen, Hamiilton, Rosberg pips me into T1 and a slow Manor in the middle of us.
Pass these 2 cars and was around 4 seconds from Verstappen. I caught Verstappen around lap 10 and passed him into T1 with DRS ;)
On to Hamilton who was now 3.5 sec ahead with 4 laps left.
I started pushing, then remembered I put extra fuel in the case since it was marginal in the wet in Melbourne.
Lap 12 comes and I'm around 2.5sec behind Hamilton, I stick into rich mix and start to catch fast. Lap 13/14 and I'm around 0.7sec behind Hamilton.
I keep pushing and was relieved that the engineer said I have 2 laps of fuel left :D
On the last lap into T1 I take Hamilton and then cruise to the finish!

Neat race.

Ill up the difficulty one notch next time round as the setup makes big difference.
I also found it pretty much impossible to play with the pad now that the wheel is working. Just get tons of understeer with the pad, I cant get the sweet spot for the turnings.

Moozo

No. Codemasters puts in different AI difficulty multipliers per track, going by what I've seen when modifying the game's database in F1 2012.
For some reason they got it really wrong on some tracks. The drop from Australia to Bahrain is real.
I hope the database editor is updated soon so we can check what the actual values are.
Fuck's sake. Why are they still getting this wrong after 7 years

pots555

Kind of stupid, but what impressed me the most so far is the fact that you can actually watch other drivers on the circuit while you are in the garage during practice or qualification. And their is so much info on how they are doing. Pretty impressive.

And of course, everything else is top notch. With this and Deus Ex, I'm good for a while!

Zaru

Kind of stupid, but what impressed me the most so far is the fact that you can actually watch other drivers on the circuit while you are in the garage during practice or qualification.

What I DON'T get, however, are two things:

- No real TV overlays (conscious decision, someone could slap that together in a short time)
- Lower resolution for the tv view, making it look noticeably worse

Segaswirl

I'm in no man's land with this game at the moment. I started my career with Manor with the AI set to hard and with no assists. After 5 races I had 35 points with 1 win, destroyed my team mate, got promoted to number 1 status and ended up with Nico Rosberg as my new rival.

It was at that point I decided to start again and turn the difficulty up one notch to expert and now I can't get out of last or even beat the required time for the tyre wear test. It's quite frustrating.

Git gud, I know

Shaneus

What I DON'T get, however, are two things:

- No real TV overlays (conscious decision, someone could slap that together in a short time)
- Lower resolution for the tv view, making it look noticeably worse
Yeah, that really shits me. I mean, F1 '97 did it and looked fucking incredible for it. Why don't you do it, Codemasters?

F1_97_Hill.jpg

Seriously, it adds so much to the atmosphere of the game.

RoKKeR

Just finished my first race annnnnd... ran out of gas. WTF. I ran my out lap on Rich, everything else Standard, and I still ran out? Very annoying.

Mohasus

Yeah I tried with a controller, tried to brake and turn as gentle as I can but the speed sacrifices are just too big, maybe it is indeed better on a wheel as you have more control on fine tuned turning.

I had no problems playing with a 360 pad. I just braked earlier than usual, got 4 optimal laps in a row.

But I'm playing on medium with a mclaren, so maybe it isn't feasible on higher difficulties.

Putty

Just finished my first race annnnnd... ran out of gas. WTF. I ran my out lap on Rich, everything else Standard, and I still ran out? Very annoying.
Iveno idea what you are doing but I've been nowhere an empty tank...I'm on hard...50% race in the Merc...

Lach

Iveno idea what you are doing but I've been nowhere an empty tank...I'm on hard...50% race in the Merc...

Turning of traction control made a huuuuuge difference on fuel usage. With Traction Control on I actually gained fuel delta by running in standard. Without it I slightly loose.

Lach

IGN's review for F1 2016 is damn good. Link here. Score:

That was cool to read and matches my impression. Hope the good review reflect in good sales numbers. But if the number of "I haven't played an F1 game in years but this makes me think about getting this one" comments are any indication, it should be doing well.

Also I haven't heard a lot of negative buzz about online multiplayer, even with 22 players.

Azzawon

That was cool to read and matches my impression. Hope the good review reflect in good sales numbers. But if the number of "I haven't played an F1 game in years but this makes me think about getting this one" comments are any indication, it should be doing well.

Also I haven't heard a lot of negative buzz about online multiplayer, even with 22 players.

Same here. I think the reviews the game has been receiving should give it a bit of a sales boost as well.

In terms of online, I haven't tried it myself yet. However, F1 2015's online shouldn't take much beating - that was a mess at launch.

Yen

So what's the consensus on playing this with a pad? Interested in the PS4 version but the complaints earlier in the thread worried me.

Ryne

So what's the consensus on playing this with a pad? Interested in the PS4 version but the complaints earlier in the thread worried me.

Gets better with adjustments. Just have to find which ones work best for you. For me I kicked steering linearity up to 75 before I got a good feel with the car. Even then I still have TC on medium.

spuckthew

With the upcoming bank holiday (UK) and my girlfriend being away for it, I'm really craving this game. I'm just scared my ageing GTX680 won't do it justice...

JJShadow

Yeah, I'm also on that boat. Last F1 game I played was 2012 and after reading all the positive feedback I grabbed this one some days ago and I love it, CM has really nailed it this year

I'm still getting used to the handling, it feels extremely good but I need to git gud. One quick question: does the pad vibration mean that I'm steering too much? I've been trying to brake and turn as gentle as I can, but it's really difficult to do it without sacrificing speed and your lap time.

Top Bottom