• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2016 |OT| Daniil Kvyat Simulator

LilJoka

So I really put time in and completed the practises, I started in the McLaren.
I managed to creep my time from the 1.36 mark on Softs to 1.31.3xx on super Softs.
I qualify 10th as I didn't run in Q3, but on hard difficulty I could have qualified around 5/6th if I had run.
Then comes the race.
It's full wets at Melbourne, i struggle to keep the car on the road massively, around 1-2sec off the pace, the trulli train is building. As the tyres wear out midway and a few bumps to the front wing, I'm down to 15th.
I pit as the front wing is hampering me too much in these conditions and end up finishing 19th after 15 laps.
There was too much oversteer in the wet, it was easier driving the car in lean mix towards the end. My best lap was 1.52.xxx, Alonso finished much higher with a 1.48.xxx best lap.
On to the next race.

pots555

First race in my career. Rain!!! God what a start to my season. Really struggled but had a lot of fun...finishing 18th. I'll try to do better the next time.

Megasoum

Banned
Fuck it... I found a good price on a Canadian Store for the Ferrari F1 Rim for the Thrustmaster wheels so I pulled the trigger.

Also I finally plugged in my microphone... That radio menu is actually really neat!

F5ym4E1.png

Jesus christ Kvyat even doesn't let go of his Redbull hate during free practice. He jetstreamed behind me (Riccardo), slingshot out and ram into my side.

Also how do you do the tyre management practice? All I got is red no matter how gentle I turn without sacrificing delta.

Nyx

Monaco is way too hard for me, crashed into a wall during the race and I'm not even mad.

On to Canada.

Shaneus

Also I finally plugged in my microphone... That radio menu is actually really neat!
Shit, that might just give me the incentive to use my Sony Gold wireless surround headset thing, given it has a built-in microphone.

Might have to close the door, though... don't want my fiancee thinking I'm weird by talking to an invisible person.

Edit: What race/quali lengths are people running here? Full sim or less?

Lach

Jesus christ Kvyat even doesn't let go of his Redbull hate during free practice. He jetstreamed behind me (Riccardo), slingshot out and ram into my side.

Well where was he supposed to go?

I run with Full/Short Pactrice (couldn't change the settings), Full Quali, 50% Race

I'll have to find a solution for a mic as well. Having to select the radio message in the menu is a chore during racing.

[edit] I also started with doing each pratice test in each Practice session as it seems to fit with general Practice programs in real F1
P1 - Installation Laps / Track acclimatization
P2 - Long Runs / Tyre Test
P3 - Quali Runs

Upinsmoke

Shit, that might just give me the incentive to use my Sony Gold wireless surround headset thing, given it has a built-in microphone.

Might have to close the door, though... don't want my fiancee thinking I'm weird by talking to an invisible person.

I use full. Really finding it tough with the pad though with TC off and Anti Lock off. After a few laps I really notice the tyre wear starting.

Shaneus

Awesome. I still haven't really started yet (was sussing out vsync issues, which have now been solved) but I think I might roll with the settings I currently have.

Also, I assume the team you pick just dictates what sort of career you have? Lowest tier = focus on development, highest = maintaining superiority, mid = combination of the two?

PS. This had better be somewhere in the game, damnit:
dancing-ricciardo.gif

Nyx

God damn, Catalunya is some serious shit. Just reached it with all Stage 1 upgrades on my Renault and I really seem to be struggling compared to previous circuits. Regretting not choosing a set of ultrasofts for quali now.

That last corner sequence before start/finish is so annoying.

So far Russia is my favorite track.

Bumhead

Banned
Really struggling with this. Can't seem to get any faster than 1:37 around Melbourne which is piss poor.

Does anyone have a recommended setup for a new player, in terms of assists? I don't like having everything set to full because you lose too much control of the car (and crucially, speed), but I feel like making the wrong changes is losing control of it on the track. Playing on a pad.

Lach

Really struggling with this. Can't seem to get any faster than 1:37 around Melbourne which is piss poor.

Does anyone have a recommended setup for a new player, in terms of assists? I don't like having everything set to full because you lose too much control of the car (and crucially, speed), but I feel like making the wrong changes is losing control of it on the track. Playing on a pad.

I have Traction Control and Brake assist on the lowest settings which already feels a bit overpowered. Racing line also helps a lot in optimizing the the laptime. I usually do a few laps in time trial with Racing Line on, and then switch to career with it off.

If you're on PC check Steam Workshop for a setup for your team/track combination. Otherwise check http://f1carsetup.com/index.php?/forum/270-f1-2016-setups/

Dommel

Is the AI consistent between tracks? I started my season as team Haas so I'd expect to be in the middle of the field.

Which I was for the first race in Melbourne but was still able to easily get into the top 5 on medium difficulty which didn't seem very realistic to me.

So bumped up the AI to hard for Bahrain were all of a sudden I out qualify Mercedes by 2 seconds and easily win the race.

Lach

Is the AI consistent between tracks? I started my season as team Haas so I'd expect to be in the middle of the field.

Which I was for the first race in Melbourne but was still able to easily get into the top 5 on medium difficulty which didn't seem very realistic to me.

So bumped up the AI to hard for Bahrain were all of a sudden I out qualify Mercedes by 2 seconds and easily win the race.

I went from 10th in AUS to 2nd in BAH (both on hard). Partly cause of upgrads I think. I haven't gotten further than that yet. Someone mentioned in here, that Spain is a sudden spike in difficulty.

Nyx

I placed 18th in Melbourne, 15th in Bahrein, 8th in Shanghai, 9th in Sochi (actually 7th but due to time penalties for corner cutting I dropped to 9th) and DNF in Monaco.

In a Manor on Hard.

Hasney

I'm on the one above hard now and Shanghai has been my only points finish in a Manor. The AI does not know how to do the opening corners in China.

Zaru

No. Codemasters puts in different AI difficulty multipliers per track, going by what I've seen when modifying the game's database in F1 2012.
For some reason they got it really wrong on some tracks. The drop from Australia to Bahrain is real.
I hope the database editor is updated soon so we can check what the actual values are.

Azzawon

That last corner sequence before start/finish is so annoying.

So far Russia is my favorite track.

I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed Russia, I used to find it quite a boring circuit in previous games but it flows really well for me this time round. I'm not looking forward to Monaco with a controller though, Thrustmaster customer support where u at ;_;

Zaru

Is it bad that I have to leave the 3D racing line on for corners? I feel like a failure :(

Nothing wrong with using aids like that when you're learning the tracks in the current handling model. (And "learning" can mean tens of hours)

But what you need to do to overcome that need is learning to use the distance signs and other "landmarks" for the braking and acceleration points, like the real drivers.
If you keep your eyes on the 3d line forever you'll have a hard time progressing past that point. It's like a weird tunnel vision where you're basically just following colored blocks instead of driving a real track.

Par Score

God damn, Catalunya is some serious shit. Just reached it with all Stage 1 upgrades on my Renault and I really seem to be struggling compared to previous circuits. Regretting not choosing a set of ultrasofts for quali now.

Had an absolutely epic 50% race in heavy rain at Catalunya last night in a Torro Rosso.

Qualified 5th in blazing sunshine, fucked it down to 10th with a bad manual start and skidding wide at the first turn, raced back up to 5th then took my front wing off on the back of a Ferrari (sorry Kimi). Fortunately near enough the pit window I could stick to a one stop, all shook out in 8th after everyone stopped, and I clawed my way back to finish 5th.

No. The AI sucks at Bahrain.

Kazdane

Gold Member
Nothing wrong with using aids like that when you're learning the tracks in the current handling model. (And "learning" can mean tens of hours)

But what you need to do to overcome that need is learning to use the distance signs and other "landmarks" for the braking and acceleration points, like the real drivers.
If you keep your eyes on the 3d line forever you'll have a hard time progressing past that point. It's like a weird tunnel vision where you're basically just following colored blocks instead of driving a real track.

And to add to this, the racing line is a very good starting point, but it doesn't teach you things that you can only find by tinkering on your own. For instance, Turn 9 in the Spanish GP can be taken without braking or just tapping the pedal (depending on how good was your exit from Turn 8), and it's a critical turn to make a great laptime (with the last turn of the circuit) because it leads to a long straight. In many cases you'll also find the racing line is very conservative and will suggest you to brake in places where you are already going slow enough that you can actually be already on the throttle.

Sickbean

Yeah I think that's the next step.

So let's say I'm sat with a pen and notepad for each track (my memory isn't what it used to be), what should I make a note of?

Braking Point - Turn-in - Apex - anything else??

Zaru

Yeah I think that's the next step.

So let's say I'm sat with a pen and notepad for each track (my memory isn't what it used to be), what should I make a note of?

Braking Point - Turn-in - Apex - anything else??

Thing is, all those points obviously change depending on your tyres and fuel.
You can't break into a hairpin the same way with DRS open on medium tyres as you would with supersofts at normal speed. I think the 3d racing line KIND OF takes that into account but only to some extent. I haven't quite understood the dynamics yet.

Jibbed

This new voice-activated radio thing is amazing.

Learned all the basic commands now, and the game understands everything first time asking. Great stuff,

Bought the game yesterday. Love it but having a hard time. Has anyone got some settings for DS4 that makes the game easier? Would be appreciated :) Never ever finished in the top 10 :/

Bought the game yesterday. Love it but having a hard time. Has anyone got some settings for DS4 that makes the game easier? Would be appreciated :) Never ever finished in the top 10 :/

Go to advanced wheel/control configs put
Steering deadzone 30
Steering linearity 60
Steering saturation 5

Maybe mess aroud with it a little bit, Tell your feedback after please!! Adjusting myself

Vetro

Does anyone of you - who are playing it on the pc - plays this game with gamepad? Or are you all on steering wheels? :D (Or even keyboard - wait whut)

Par Score

Does anyone of you - who are playing it on the pc - plays this game with gamepad? Or are you all on steering wheels? :D (Or even keyboard - wait whut)

I think most people in here are playing on a pad.

I'm playing on an ancient wired 360 controller.

Zaru

PC with 360 controller. It's not easy so I had to put on traction control assists. But at least this way it's still great fun to drive.

Spades

What's the point in having a 10 season career if none of the other drivers swap team? Seems utterly pointless to me.

A question, can I make a career without those anoying practice drills?
Can't stand doing the tyre wear / qualify simulation / track aclimatation for every race

aaaand tyre wear feels broken with gamepad on pc, cant really manage to keep it on green most tracks, even driving slowly waaaay off the time (not accelerating/braking while turning and all that)

I'd like to just do the regular practice, some laps to adjust car, qualify and race, but i feel I might get behind because will not be getting that development upgrades at the expected pace.

Zaru

What's the point in having a 10 season career if none of the other drivers swap team? Seems utterly pointless to me.

10 seasons is fucking nuts either way.

For example, at 50% race distance, doing all the dev programs, I can expect 2+ hours per weekend. Times 21. Times 10. Probably over 500 hours for a single career? And that's just at half length.

Really? Why would the license stop that from happening?

FIFA and Madden don't seem to have this issue. And the (old) F1 licensed F1 Manager game allowed it.
Current F1 licensing isn't the same as in the 90s when multiple studios could make F1 games. Everyone and their mother made F1 games, with less restrictions.

The year 1992 alone had more F1 games than we've had from 2002 to now (!!!).

Aiii

So not worth it

FIFA and Madden don't seem to have this issue. And the (old) F1 licensed F1 Manager game allowed it.

Nowadays drivers make 40 million a year and for that kind of money Mercedes will be damned if there are screenshots out there with Hamilton driving for Red Bull, I guess.

krang

It's all about it being an accurate representation of this year's F1 season. And as above, teams pay good money to stop their drivers being seen in another team's car.

Fun side note: F1 Race Stars was prevented from having power sliding for similar reasons.

Thanks! I'm at work atm, will try your settings tonight and get back to you.

I'm using it, but still can't play without traction control, if you manage to make it any better i'd like to know how.
Maybe there's need to change some deadzones and saturation on acceleration and breaks to cut assists off.

But with this settings the handling got much better for me and I'm actually competitive on expert Ai (races at least, qualify times I'm still a little slow, maybe its just my style, im better at consistance, not very good at making hot laps)

Monaco is way too hard for me, crashed into a wall during the race and I'm not even mad.

On to Canada.

I don't even try monaco with damage on
Even with damage off, i crash about once every 6,7 laps, its not a good race.

It should not even be at the F1 calendar anymore, its there just for the "luxury" and politics,

Mr E.

It should not even be at the F1 calendar anymore, its there just for the "luxury" and politics,
Disagree. Driver needs 100% concentration around there. It's truly a unique circuit on the calendar and rewards the best drivers.

Lach

Some people would say Monaco is what separates the boys from the men.

I also hate it!

Nyx

I love Monaco when I get to watch the real F1, but in games, man....

Anyway, except for Monaco obviously I perfected all qualifying pace practices, but now I'm in Canada and I can't even beat the green time objective....

Those fast S-turns are killing me. Any hints? Perhaps I need a different setup?

Disagree. Driver needs 100% concentration around there. It's truly a unique circuit on the calendar and rewards the best drivers.

I agree with that,Senna and Barrichelo would also, its really challenging and reward the best, but its a very, very boring race for me with no overtakes (only in pit).

Randdalf

I'm a disaster on Monaco, can't even complete a flying lap without using 2 flashbacks. Those fast corners near the end are so precise, they get me every time. It's also really bumpy going up the hill, and I invariably go wide on that big corner after it.

edit: Oh god the actual race is in rainy conditions, I don't even.

Zaru

And replace it with another Tilke/"modern" track?
I prefer to have tracks with character, even if they have other flaws from a tv viewer or safety perspective.

I notice this in F1 games. There are tracks where I can vividly picture every straight and turn and do a lap from memory, and almost without fault they're mostly older tracks.

In contrast, even after hundreds of laps in China, Bahrain, Abu Dhabi etc. I still can't imagine a lap through them because they're just a succession of anonymous turns and they feel like completely replaceable tracks between each other.
And it's not just because I've known those older tracks for a longer time. A recent exception is Baku which had to bend to the city's layout and has plenty of landmarks. Basically knew the track before even driving it myself.
I also found the old Hockenheim and Silverstone more memorable than their newer versions, except the parts that were part of the old layouts already of course.

Nyx

So after about 16 laps around the Canada circuit I can definitely say that this is my 2nd most hated track so far in the career mode.

And replace it with another Tilke/"modern" track?

I also found the old Hockenheim and Silverstone more memorable than their newer versions, except the parts that were part of the old layouts already of course.

No, there are lots of great tracks out there, which just enforces my argument that F1 is more about politics and glamour than it is about competition and good racing today, there are many tracks in f1 calendar that are rally not that great, and most are the modern ones.

Agree 100% on old Hockenheim and Silverstone.

Top Bottom