• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
yep looks like a coup. This might not be all bad seeing as how their PM was taking the country to the far right.

Ogodei

Is it a coup? Please let it be a coup!

Much as nobody likes Erdogan anymore, let it not. Coup's a real roll of the dice and while sometimes everything can come up roses (Fascism in Portugal was ended by a coup), it more often leads to greater instability which is the absolute last thing a country bordering Syria needs.

hearing that social media is being shut down as well.

facebook and twitter.

source is eliot higgins (reliable dude and says he's in turkey)

Enkidu

You can hate the man but he made turkey prosper. So it's definitely a bad thing
Regardless of whether he made Turkey prosper or not (I don't think he necessarily deserves that much of the credit, and these last few years he has definitely not helped the country prosper), this is bad because military coups are not how you get rid of democratically elected leaders (unless they have gone really bad) and not because he was good for the Turkish economy.

Majorzero

Neo Member
I hope it’s a coup so another relatively stable country in a volatile region can be destroyed because we all know how well that has worked in the past Iraq, Syria, Egypt, Libya etc. /s

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I cannot imagine that the military would go against Erdogan.

It's probably more like that it's a terrorist threat; real or exaggerated. With Erdogan you cannot know. Turkey obviously has an increased risk for terrorism, and harsh responses are understandable. At the same time, Erdogan is exactly the kind of despot who would use such a situation to spread anxiety and demonstrate his power and ability to create security.

kirblar

Turkish military likes to regularly overthrow civil authority and start the political system again. It's like a hobby for them.
They're Sailor Saturn.

It's also how historically they've maintained secularism- imposing it by force because the populace will vote in guys like Erdrogan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom