• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Erdogan was deliberately dismantling secular turkey. Much as I don't like coups, sometimes they are the lesser of two evils.

Sue me for insulting erdogan if this is a misunderstanding .

Caayn

Stay safe Turkgaf!
Neogaf is the best news source.
Nothing on my twitter feed.
Nothing on the BBC.
Yet, here is GAF.
To credit my government's news station: They just showed a short section telling what's happening (basically what we're reading here).

NOS nieuwsuur for dutchgaf that's interested.

There is nothing good that could come of a coup at this juncture. Erdogan has been pretty shit but another military coup won't bring stability

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Someone really needs to come out with a poll: "What will be the next international incident/tragedy/story"

Are they coming every day? Feels like it.

Got to go read up on the sides of Turkey, cause as it stands, I don't know if I think this is good or not.

nynt9

Someone really needs to come out with a poll: "What will be the next international incident/tragedy/story"

Are they coming every day? Feels like it.

Got to go read up on the sides of Turkey, cause as it stands, I don't know if I think this is good or not.

Look up Fethullah Gulen (the most likely perpetrator), and enjoy http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/ori...llah-gulen-cleric-opposition-erdogan-akp.html

The guard/officer is saying everybody go home and the guy is asking "are you being serious?".

Can't make out everything that was said.

There's a clearer video of the same situation in the OP

So if the coup line is confirmed, presumably the military forces blockading various Turkish cities are those taking part in the coup rather than government loyalists trying to hold out those attempting to take over?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Shit. Trying to get in contact with my friend here in NYC who's family all lives in Ankara to see if she has been in contact with them. Scary stuff.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
when was the last coup?

1997. There was an "almost-coup" in 2007 where the military said "change this policy or we fuck your shit up fam" but Erdogan backed down then.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I believe America has some nukes/nuke sites in Turkey, right? Does Turkey itself have Nuclear weapons? We probably don't have to worry about that, right???

ezrarh

Europe's going to be a bigger mess if Turkey loses law and order. And obviously it would be terrible for the people in Turkey. It's a shame - I've always wanted to go to Istanbul (when I can afford it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom