• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syncytia

I hope it’s a coup so another relatively stable country in a volatile region can be destroyed because we all know how well that has worked in the past Iraq, Syria, Egypt, Libya etc. /s

I don't think a coup in Turkey is exactly comparable to those countries...

if it is indeed a coup then that would be odd since I assumed Erdogan got rid of all those top tier military coup guys who basically really ran the country

unless the military got a deal from some foreign power or powers to do this with their full support

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Aren't most of the old guard jailed by Erdogan right now?

Yes, which is why this is surprising. I wrote my undergrad thesis on why Turkey was unlikely to see the return of the military coup; thank god that was marked two years ago!

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
I hate Erdogan more than anything else in the world and hate what he turned our country into, but a coup usually makes things worse. Especially given how fucking fanatic his and AKP's followers are, I think a coup will result in a civil war like situation.
I'm fucking terrified for my family who are in Ankara right now.

chadskin

Reuters:
Gunshots were heard in the Turkish capital of Ankara on Friday, a Reuters witness said, as military jets and helicopters were seen flying overhead.

Reuters witnesses in Istanbul, Turkey's biggest city, also spotted helicopters overhead.

Broadcaster NTV reported that both of Istanbul's bridges across the Bosphorus, the strait separating the European and Asian sides of the city, had been closed to traffic.

It was not immediately clear if the events were related.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-turkey-istanbul-bridges-idUSKCN0ZV2FE

spekkeh

Banned
Yep sounds like a coup. I'm shocked though at the same time not that shocked. Erdogan has been a shitshow, but he seemed to have neutralized the army quite well, this has obviously been brewing for some time.

Aurongel

Fastest does not equal best.

This.

GAF has zero accountability, major news corporations do. Considering the information blackout happening there right now, real journalism escaping that country is difficult at this time. This is why most of the sources posted here are from social media on the ground.

Ragıp Soylu @ragipsoylu
#BREAKING Turkish PM Yıldırım says there has been "an attempt" and his government won't allow it.

Ragıp Soylu ‏@ragipsoylu
#BREAKING Turkish PM says the attempt doesn't amount a military coup but there are some groups in military behaving irresponsibly

Ragıp Soylu ‏@ragipsoylu
#BREAKING TURKISH PM LIVE ON TV SAYS THE PEOPLE WHO PERPETRATED THIS ATTEMPT WILL PAY FOR THIS

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/754043786796339201

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom