• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 1-6

FINALLY got around to seeing this. Not much to say or add that hasn't been said by others but this is some ROCK SOLID anime so far. Some of the CGI has been pretty bad but I've heard it improves as the show goes on and it looks to be doing so near the tail end of these episodes. I was kind of amused by how old-school the music seemed to get starting with Episode 3. My only gripe, or I suppose more a comment because I know the reason for this and you see it in tons of other Sci-Fi works, is that the alien force that humanity has to fight just so happens to look exactly like us except they have weird colored skin/pointy ears/etc. Yes, I totally buy that intelligent life 100,000+ light years away would look just like us despite the immensely different environments and the completely different ways life would have to propagate under these conditions :/ Yes, I'm aware this is a remake of a classic anime series and that it's a common Sci-Fi trope invoked because it is easier to design/tends to help us sympathize with the others if the author decides to go in that direction/can send a message in other respects but it just came to mind, especially with Space Dandy right around the corner which seems to be making a concerted effort to have aliens that aren't just rainbow colored humans :p

what possible reason can there be for messing with the damn
voting rules again

People are getting preemptively salty that Attack on Titan will win as far as I can tell :p

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Animegaf in a year

tumblr_my88n7y3wl1tn7aeao1_400.jpg

f1SNB7p.jpg

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 26(apparently the end though I thought I heard it was going to be 30 episodes)
357x296px-LL-877fd27f_the_rock_clap_clap_gif.gif

best anime of the season.

Go_Ly_Dow

The sooner you guys accept Attack on Titan as AOTY, the sooner the healing process can begin.

in 2012 we were saying the same for SAO.

1 Hyouka 619
2 Fate/Zero 2nd Season 570
3 JoJo's Bizarre Adventure 567
4 Tsuritama 417
5 Kids on the Slope 367
6 Girls und Panzer 322
7 Space Brothers 290
8 From the New World 264
9 Humanity Has Declined 246
10 K-On! The Movie 228
11 Chihayafuru 207
12 Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! 198
13 Daily Lives of High School Boys 184
14 Sword Art Online 164
15 Hunter x Hunter 154
16 Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun 137
17 Ano Natsu de Matteru 129
18 Accel World 119
19 Dusk Maiden of Amnesia 105
20 Kokoro Connect 95

AoT won't win.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Did you not enjoy
the "chase" sequence
? I thought that was filled with some good fun animation (much of which we have admittedly seen in the various PVs). I also think the variety of alien design and the way that the Boobies restaurant is populated very organically was quite impressive. The pulp aesthetic of the colouring appeals to me as well.
That sequence was more interesting than the rest of the episode, but it just doesn't hit a good pace, and it just hits the same note twice with Dandy inadvertently doing something right by interacting with the aliens nearby. One of the biggest issues I had with the episode in general is that the background work is kind of just atrocious, so when the chase sequence pops up it's hard to have any idea where things are in relation to one another. Instead of focusing on relevant backgrounds Space Dandy kind of just floods every shot with these aliens that I just don't care about.

I've had this complaint about other shows before, but action sequences where both participants are not on screen at the same time are usually just pretty lousy for me. Space Dandy is cutting these important corners for these ideals that don't really mean much to me.

You're left with this action scene that has no good build up, no good interactions between the characters, and no payoff. Maybe this isn't a very fair comparison but it felt like piddling junk compared to what you would have found in Bebop.

1 Hyouka 619
4 Tsuritama 417
5 Kids on the Slope 367
6 Girls und Panzer 322
7 Space Brothers 290
8 From the New World 264
10 K-On! The Movie 228
11 Chihayafuru 207
14 Sword Art Online 164
15 Hunter x Hunter 154
18 Accel World 119
20 Kokoro Connect 95

There's nothing to worry about.

To be fair, the SAO thread was a fraction of the size of AOT's.

1 Hyouka 619
4 Tsuritama 417
5 Kids on the Slope 367
6 Girls und Panzer 322
7 Space Brothers 290
8 From the New World 264
10 K-On! The Movie 228
11 Chihayafuru 207
14 Sword Art Online 164
15 Hunter x Hunter 154
18 Accel World 119
20 Kokoro Connect 95

AoT won't win.

AoT didn't trainwreck as hard as SAO did though.

Crocodile

1 Hyouka 619
4 Tsuritama 417
5 Kids on the Slope 367
6 Girls und Panzer 322
7 Space Brothers 290
8 From the New World 264
10 K-On! The Movie 228
11 Chihayafuru 207
14 Sword Art Online 164
15 Hunter x Hunter 154
18 Accel World 119
20 Kokoro Connect 95

AoT won't win.

The difference is that for all its flaws, AoT isn't horse anal leakings like SAO is. That and AoT managed to resonate with the lapsed/non-anime fan in a way I haven't seen a show do so in a long time. _OTY lists are always a function of both quality and (more importantly) popularity. AoT blows SAO out of the water by every metric among the GAF population.

Theonik

I agree with you, I just vaguely remember Seda being iffy on a Space Dandy OT because he thought 2 threads to discuss it was enough and he planned on moving the Toonami OT out of Community while it aired or something.
Actually that factor is what makes it sensible to have a separate thread from every other anime. Because the dual release actually creates some chances for some good cross-discussion that doesn't work if people just lock themselves in their respective mega threads.

1 Hyouka 619
4 Tsuritama 417
5 Kids on the Slope 367
6 Girls und Panzer 322
7 Space Brothers 290
8 From the New World 264
10 K-On! The Movie 228
11 Chihayafuru 207
14 Sword Art Online 164
15 Hunter x Hunter 154
18 Accel World 119
20 Kokoro Connect 95

AoT won't win.

The funny thing here is people thinking that AoT winning will be bad, but imo it won't be as bad as 2012. I mean, Hyouka over Hunter x Hunter, Fate Zero, Chihayafuru, From the New World, JoJo, Fate Zero and Tsuritama???

Uhh yeah.

Also damn, 2012 was a stronger year than 2013.

Actually that factor is what makes it sensible to have a separate thread from every other anime. Because the dual release actually creates some chances for some good cross-discussion that doesn't work if people just lock themselves in their respective mega threads.

This is true, but it can also fragment discussion even more by virtue of Toonamigaf posting about stuff live with not spoiler tags or anything.

The funny thing here is people thinking that AoT winning will be bad, but imo it won't be as bad as 2012. I mean, Hyouka over Hunter x Hunter, Fate Zero, Chihayafuru, From the New World, JoJo, Fate Zero and Tsuritama???

Hyouka is better than all those other shows easily. It's just about the pinnacle of TV animation in both its high-quality production and its finely-crafted characterization.

I don't wish to compare years directly, but any year with Space Battleship Yamato 2199, Eccentric Family, Wolf Children, Flowers of Evil, Rozen Maiden, Jojo: Battle Tendency, the Blue Exorcist movie, Gintama: The Final Chapter, Yozakura Quartet, Love Lab, Saint Young Men, etc. - well, that's not a bad year in my books.

Go_Ly_Dow

The difference is that for all its flaws, AoT isn't horse anal leakings like SAO is. That and AoT managed to resonate with the lapsed/non-anime fan in a way I haven't seen a show do so in a long time. _OTY lists are always a function of both quality and (more importantly) popularity. AoT blows SAO out of the water by every metric among the GAF population.

Probably a poor comparison then.

If people here want to know this communities anime of the year and how it differs then I propose a terrible idea......

Rather than having 2 separate voting threads or changing the voting system, why don't we just put a simple response in our posts for the following: "Do you associate yourself with AnimeGAF: Yes/No" (or something along these lines)

Then we just tally up a separate list of the "Yes" responses that gets posted in here for our viewing pleasure only.

Branduil

Attack on Titan OVA - Ilse's Notebook

A glimpse at what the show might have been like if Hanji was the protagonist.
LOL at Ilse still writing while her head is in the titan's jaws.
That's some dedication right there.

Jintor

Where can I find a list of anime on netflix? In AU so searching for stuff is a bit tedious without firing up the ol' VPN. I tried the main site but it looks incomplete.

Syrinx

Where can I find a list of anime on netflix? In AU so searching for stuff is a bit tedious without firing up the ol' VPN. I tried the main site but it looks incomplete.

Netflix's anime lineup is pretty damn thin. You probably saw the whole thing.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Probably a poor comparison then.

If people here want to know what animegaf sees as anime of the year and how it differs then I propose a terrible idea......

Rather than having 2 separate voting threads or changing the voting system, why don't we just put a simple response in our posts for the following: "Do you associate yourself with AnimeGAF: Yes/No" (or something along these lines)

Then we just tally up a separate list of the "Yes" responses that gets posted in here for our viewing pleasure only.

We take an informal re-tally of the results to separate the two groups anyway. No need to force anyone to declare allegiance, which sounds kind of uncomfortable and divisive in practice. I am, however, in favor of technical categories being polled internally within animegaf for our own use and amusement rather than to post as any sort of results thread. Branduil has bandied the idea about and even if he's not still interested in the idea, I am.

I think that, more than anyone wanting Attack on Titan to actively lose, a lot of people are just passionate about there being better works that deserve more recognition. The same end result is desired, but the sentiment isn't nearly like it was toward SAO. Still, in spite of my own personal biases, I don't see a clear way in which the voting format can be modified that objectively improves the voting process and fairness of results rather than simply changing for the sake of change or intentionally skewing the results toward specific voter blocs. I still want to hear any proposals for improvement, of course.

Theonik

Should be "Do you resign as a human being? Yes/No/Runes"

So yeah I just got done with Panty and Stocking. The first half of the series was great. Unfortunately they went from a stylish sexy comedic Powderpuff Girls to another "mindfuck" comedic sex slice of life show. So depressing.

survivor

Banned

Uhh yeah.

What's wrong with that? Hyouka is better than all the shows listed.

LordCanti

Monogatari 26

Kaiki noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Give Mayoi a hug for us ;_;

Poor
Nadeko
just wanted
to create eromanga.
I guess, in the end,
Kaiki wasn't a complete fraud. He pulled that talisman out of her like a baws.

Good show. Hopefully the wait for Kizu and then Tsuki isn't that long.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
too many lengthy backlog engagements. I predict some time mid to late 2016.
Those eyelashes are waiting for you!

I think that, more than anyone wanting Attack on Titan to actively lose, a lot of people are just passionate about there being better works that deserve more recognition. The same end result is desired, but the sentiment isn't nearly like it was toward SAO. Still, in spite of my own personal biases, I don't see a clear way in which the voting format can be modified that objectively improves the voting process and fairness of results rather than simply changing for the sake of change or intentionally skewing the results toward specific voter blocs. I still want to hear any proposals for improvement, of course.
I find it funny. With SAO, I actively despised it as the most vile piece of shit to be ever animated on screen, but with AoT, I honestly can't muster any will to care. It's like if someone made a Best TV of the 2000s and Lost or BSG ended up #1. My distaste for bad serialized writing has basically turned into apathy, because I've been through the wringer far too many times. I'd rather it not win, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

Hell, half of you guys were on the AoT bandwagon hype train anyway, so I'm sure it'd be on some of your lists!

Instro

Uhh yeah.

Hyouka is better than all of those. Its a fairly easy choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom