• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4: Far Harbor IOTI Point Lookout 2: Synthetic Boogaloo

It's buggy. Nothing happens when you talk to
Desdemona. She just went on about how you saved the Commonwealth from the Commie...er...the Institute but then she stops talking
. Fix this shit, Naughty Dog!
If it makes you feel any better I have the same issue with Kels for the Brotherhood, stuck in a loop and the dialog option never pops up.

Bethesda seems to be 100% content in never, ever improving. Even compared to other AAA devs, aside from UbiSoft. They haven't really put out a whole lot of games in the past 15 years, but every time its the same discussion of "Well surely this one is going to play/run better and surely this time the writing won't be clunky garbage?" and then the game comes out to a resounding ohhhh...

If anything the change ups they do decide to make like a voiced protagonist or infinite quests just end up making it worse. Yeah their games do stellar and sell a lot but I would figure that there would be some kind of desire to strive to improve...something? Anything????

Skyrim was a huge improvement over Oblivion in moment to moment gameplay and same deal with FO3 to FO4. I'd also say outside of fps issues this is their least buggy title yet.

Skyrim was a huge improvement over Oblivion in moment to moment gameplay and same deal with FO3 to FO4. I'd also say outside of fps issues this is their least buggy title yet.

Was it? The combat in Skyrim was swing your weapon around like a pool noodle at Draugr because nothing has any weight or impact, or use the bad magic system, or just use the bow because it breaks the game once it stuns and you draw the arrow back twice as fast. I think I almost prefer Morrowind's diceroll system.

I agree that the shooting was improved from FO3 -> FO4 but not enough. It still feels pretty bad. Going from DOOM to this just makes me want to fall asleep. Unfair comparison, yes. But you move like a slug and nothing feels good about shooting someone because they have an enormous quantity of health. Having firefights at a whopping 18 FPS is not exciting.

But I'm still drawn to these games even though I think they are pretty bad. I dunno, they just do something for me. Maybe its because at the end of the day nobody really makes games like this but fuck I wish someone would come around and do it but good.
Like Obsidian

N° 2048

Ok fuck it. Why do Far Harbor with my level 85 character?
Once I get the loot I have nothing to use it on since that play through is 300+hours.

So I am going to do it with my new level 25 Survival character. Then use all that swag to do the main quest, Automatron, explore, etc.

Who? Okay, I'll try to look for her next time I retry the game.

Yea I went to the house to start the DLC. This was on a play through that I had finished the main quest with and joined the Railroad.
Got option to go to Far Harbor but also got another option to
Tell Railroad HQ about possible Synth Group @ Far Harbor.
So I went to Railroad HQ and it pointed me to a girl named
Boxer
and I had dialogue options with her.

This is before even getting to Far Harbor for the first time.

I did use all the highest speech checks when first talking to the parents of the girl too.

Lead

Banned
Just finished it with one out of what I assume is 3 different endings.

Felt really good despite some spotty performance. The quest quality was pretty high throughout. Unfortunately this dlc also have one of the worst levels since oblivion. Just mind numbingly dull.

Just finished it with one out of what I assume is 3 different endings.

Felt really good despite some spotty performance. The quest quality was pretty high throughout. Unfortunately this dlc also have one of the worst levels since oblivion. Just mind numbingly dull.
That hacking bullshit? Hated it. Everything else was pretty ace though.

So I am reading its more like NV with the quest choices, stat checks, and impacts on the story?

WHY DIDN'T YOU DO THIS FOR MAIN FALLOUT 4 TODD, WHY!?

Replicant

Is it just me or is the frame rate laggy even during Diamond City sequence? My character found it hard to move during a specific scene with Nick's secretary.

Aurongel

Still getting random classical music interludes while exploring around. It's like two piano tracks layered on top of eachother. Randomly cuts in and out while walking around the wilderness. This takes the cake for strangest Bethesda bug I've encountered, it's super annoying.

Playing survival is such a bummer at times. Knowing I have this dope ass Gauss rifle roll or that new machine gun that I can't afford to carry.

Switching to the new combat armor all with deep pockets took away another damn 20lbs.

Wanting to use the cool new helmet that is 100 DR less than my ballistic newsboy hat.

Sigh. I want to mix it up like I use to do, but with no fast travel I can't. I guess I could switch back to my codworth pack mule slave, but I would hate to miss out on the world building of either the new companion or valentine.

At least the dlc and the joy of discovering new locations again is pushing me through. It's crazy what a flip I had on survival after fist touching it prepping for this dlc I was so looking forward too.

MattyG

Banned
Just finished the main
e
questline.

DiMA ended up turning himself in for Avery's murder and was shot point blank by Mitch. I thought I'd be able to convince them to let him live, and that they'd turn on Acadia if I covered it up and someone else found out about it. :/

Then I went to the Children of Atom and did all their quests. It sounded like everything with them was done, so I initiated the launch sequence. They wanted "Division" and I thought that they might actually have something to do with the Fog, like maybe it'd dissipate if the Nucleus blew up. All that happened was Avery was pissed, Allen was happy, the Nucleus was gone, and then everyone in Far Harbor went back to behaving how they were before.

The story was definitely interesting and better than the main game, and I'm definitely interested to replay it now that I know the choices and how to keep certain people alive. Now I just have to go find Vault 118 and clean up side quests. I think this might be my favorite Bethesda DLC ever.

N° 2048

Playing survival is such a bummer at times. Knowing I have this dope ass Gauss rifle roll or that new machine gun that I can't afford to carry.

Switching to the new combat armor all with deep pockets took away another damn 20lbs.

Wanting to use the cool new helmet that is 100 DR less than my ballistic newsboy hat.

Sigh. I want to mix it up like I use to do, but with no fast travel I can't. I guess I could switch back to my codworth pack mule slave, but I would hate to miss out on the world building of either the new companion or valentine.

At least the dlc and the joy of discovering new locations again is pushing me through. It's crazy what a flip I had on survival after fist touching it prepping for this dlc I was so looking forward too.

I feel you. I ended up rushing to find Ada so unlock the Robot Workbench. Then modded Curie to get as much weight as I can out of her with the available Robot Mods (they don't unlock until you find them or beat The Mechanist).

Maybe that'll help you out. The Robot Workbench also shows the available carry weight for the robot.

The dialog in far harbor is much much better than the rest of the game so far. The conversation in the second main settlement you visit on the main storyline is already pretty solid.

Enjoying it so far

Not having any performance issues on x1 so far. No more than the regular game that is

Ashtar

I bought the season pass for my wife since she loves fall out and so I asked her if she was gonna play it but she insists I play it but using her character got to far harbor and did the first objective and she got bored and went to sleep lol that season pass isn't looking like a good investment.
She also said "after watching uncharted 4 this look really bad" I told her it always looked bad. Anyway I hate the way she made her character basically a melee attacker because bullets were scarce or she was too cheap to buy them.
Anyway so far not really digging it might go start being genocidal if that's more fun.
Haven't noticed much performance issues yet but I'm fairly early.

I hate the building/settlement management crap. It's by far the worst part of Fallout 4, and one major reason why it's worse than Fallout 3.

When they make a sequel, I hope it's eliminated. Blech.

I hate the building/settlement management crap. It's by far the worst part of Fallout 4, and one major reason why it's worse than Fallout 3.

I actually like it aside from the fact it can be finnicky at times, my issue is this mandatory tower defense segment thing everyone else has bitched about already

MattyG

Banned
I actually like it aside from the fact it can be finnicky at times, my issue is this mandatory tower defense segment thing everyone else has bitched about already
I feel like you could skip most of it by
just pursuing one of the leads the first couple memories gives you.
At least I think that would work. It'll really suck if we have to do all 5 every time we replay it.

Agreed. Its really building for the sake of building.

If they cut out voiced protags and settlement stuff that energy could have been used to improve the environment and dialogue system

More locations and more lore and less silly gimmicks

I actually loathe it. Hate isn't strong enough.

I can't talk about the tower defense, but won't be looking forward to it I guess.

The biggest mistake of FO4 is voiced protag

I remember how awesome it was silently reading stuff in your own voice

YOU were the protagonist

Oooh I had a nice bug after visiting a Vault. Leaving via the elevator it just goes on and on and on, with interminable lift music blaring out. Like being in hell. First time I've had that bug.

Aurongel

Noticed a super glaring bug with the lever action rifle. No matter how many rounds are remaining, the reload animation will always loop through the full clip. So reloading a magazine after firing one shot will have you manually loading five rounds for no reason.

That's a hell of an oversight, lol. I'm not even a machismo gun weirdo and that jumped out to me.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Ugh. The tower defense segment started promising, then got tedious real fast. It combines the tower defense (barely any) with a bunch of 'solve this puzzle using elements of base building and the snap-to feature', which doesn't really translate to 'speedy' going.

Torn on what ending I want, so stopped for the night, but all in all, despite the bullet sponge enemies issue despite fully levelled/modded/perk'd guns with a 4.5 sneak multiplier (which isn't exclusive to the DLC), this was by far the best part of Fallout 4 for me.

Having actual quests use your 'other' stats, even if it's somewhat tertiary, and just SPECIAL/not skills, feels like its more pertinent to your build and the role-playing aspect, and the faction system works much better from a smaller standpoint, rather than the entirety of the commonwealth.

My only other 'complaint', as it were, rests in how much of the story depends on you having Nick Valentine around. He's not crucial, but he's got a lot to add, relative to any other sidekick, save maybe for the new one introduced (whom I haven't tried at all yet due to not wanting to miss stuff related to Nick).

I kinda hope, if there's another big DLC, that some other sidekick gets a bigger shot. The faction sidekicks are probably out, but that leaves Curie, Piper, Cait, and maybe Hancock.

can the new power armor paint really only be used on one armor type?

Haven't tried yet, but I know there's a schematic for the paint
close to the area where you found the one suit of armor in a terminal

Noticed a super glaring bug with the lever action rifle. No matter how many rounds are remaining, the reload animation will always loop through the full clip. So reloading a magazine after firing one shot will have you manually loading five rounds for no reason.

That's a hell of an oversight, lol. I'm not even a machismo gun weirdo and that jumped out to me.

haha, came here to post that too, so dumb.

I think the Vim factory and Cranberry Island have been my favourite locations so far to explore. Trying my hardest to find pieces of that new marine armour too but so far the only piece I've seen is the helmet sold in Far Harbor vendor for 10k caps. Didn't think they'd be that rare.

GG Bethesda

5k09oEV.png

MS Azalea? This happened to me as well on PS4.

Didn't play any DLC up until now and there is so much building I could do now but I don't want to get sucked into that sinkhole again lol.

Yeah + the dps is awful lol, useless gun.
I feel like you could skip most of it by
just pursuing one of the leads the first couple memories gives you.
At least I think that would work. It'll really suck if we have to do all 5 every time we replay it.

Oh really, if I can do that /i'll go ahead and do that.

u wot m8. There's legendary lever-action you can buy that's a two-shot and it utterly obliterates everything. The only issue I have is that ammo is super scarce for it.
Ah I didn't find that yet, the thing is my Overseer's Guardian does more damage per shot and has a faster fire rate than the max upgraded lever action.

What's up with the second wing of Vault 118? I think it must be unfinished because there's a giant elevator you can't interact with (there's a spotlight on the console) and no good loot in the whole area.

Lead

Banned
That hacking bullshit? Hated it. Everything else was pretty ace though.
Yes.

The problem is it took all of a minute or two to figure the "puzzle" out and then it was just boring running back and forth doing what you had to do.

There was no challenge, at all, and it just kept on going for far too long.

Awful section.

Speaking of good things, especially the Children of Atom section was really well done, you got a lot of inside knowledge into their craziness, and their quests was totally in line with what you'd expect from someone like that.

jesu

My games bugged in that no companions will follow me now.
They just disappear.

Nick turned up to talk to those people at the start of the DLC then disappeared
If a choose a new companion they don't come with me anywhere but they do end up where I send them when I choose a new companion.

Will try my save from before I started the DLC.

Pakoe

Started a new save on survival just because my previous character was way too OP, i see people stating that lvl 15 is too low to start the DLC? I'll probably wait until 30 i guess.

Top Bottom