• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 Officially Revealed for PC, Xbox One, PS4 [Reddit Rumor = Ban]

Mihos

Gold Member
That seems to be the unpopular opinion here, but I agree. Calculations aren't what make the game an RPG. It's a dated way of doing things, especially in the guise of an FPS. It just makes the game feel like it's fallen behind of other shooters in the end. Just look at Mass Effect 1 to Mass Effect 2. Yeah, the RPG systems were streamlined but in the end it made the gameplay significantly better.

If they turn Fallout into an FPS, I won't buy it

So I just bout new vegas on pc. Mods im sorry if this is crazy off topic but maybe someone can PM me info. Where/what are the best graphx mods I can get? Dont want to change base game but graphics update would be sweet!

FIRST, use this, as it allows Fallout NV to utilize more of your RAM.

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/55061/?

You start the game using the EXE from that file, as opposed to your Steam link or desktop shortcut. You'll also need Nexus Mod Manager to install and organize your mods.

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/modmanager/?

NMC's Texture Pack is where I usually start

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/43135/?

Wasteland Flora Overhaul makes the dead trees and grass look better

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/39856/?

Fallout Character Overhaul makes people look less like Elder Scrolls Oblivion people (let me know if your black people turn white, I can help you fix that)

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/54460/?

EVE makes things go boom all pretty and shit

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/42666/?

make sure you read the instructions. it'll take you longer to download these mods than it will to get them installed and working. If you introduce more mods at a later point, keep in mind they may require compatibility patches for some of these other mods.

Shredderi

The city seems to be in a better condition and in the middle of some kind of rebuild phase. A lot less desolate than the washington dc area in Fallout 3. My wild prediction concerning the game's plot and moral choices: whatever the "evil" route in the game is it ends up destroying all the technological progress that humanity have slowly started to make lately.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Good eye. In this clearer image, it's clearly a desk. I guess these are perks? Well whatever they are there is 77 of them:
JeBQ1wU.jpg

4th row 3rd column has the "Savior of the Wasteland" image (Jesus Vault-Boy), and the one next to the desk is the usual "Speech" icon with the Vault-Boy and the stand with a microphone for what I can see.

3rd row last column has "Bloody Mess", 6th row 6th column might be "Strong Back", it looks like Vault-Boy with a back-pack and a walking stick. Edit: 7x1 is Strong Back.

MattyG

Banned
The city seems to be in a better condition and in the middle of some kind of rebuild phase. A lot less desolate than the washington dc area in Fallout 3. My wild prediction concerning the game's plot and moral choices: whatever the "evil" route in the game is it ends up destroying all the technological progress that humanity have slowly started to make lately.
My assumption right now is that The Institute is heading up reconstruction efforts (maybe using androids?), but there is some sort of nefarious purpose behind it. Your evil ending would work in this context.

This is pure speculation though.

Slayven

Honestly not having vehicles in Fallout always seemed silly, reverse engineer a laser and plasma weapon, but not a simple 2 stroke engine?

rjinaz

The top 7 are SPECIAL. So 70 perks.

EDIT: Oh shit. The top 7 are Special but there's a far left spot that's vacant. It has the same divider between Strength, and a name tag, but no picture. New Base Stat? Curious.

Well it looks like the poster is supposed to represent rooms in a vault. You can see to the left there are staircases heading down to each floor. I assume the top left box is supposed to look like some kind of entrance into the vault. That's my take anyway.

Shredderi

My assumption right now is that The Institute is heading up reconstruction efforts (maybe using androids?), but there is some sort of nefarious purpose behind it. Your evil ending would work in this context.

This is pure speculation though.

I'm thinking along those lines as well.

MouldyK

Oblivion: Like 3 hours before I got bored.

Fallout 3: Like 5 hours before my brother took it.

New Vegas: Like 20-30 Hours.

Skyrim: 200 hours combined on PC/Xbox 360, but game bugged out on both playthroughs.

Will Fallout 4 finally be the game which I can play for 300 hours without it breaking?!

Skyrim: 200 hours combined on PC/Xbox 360, but game bugged out on both playthroughs.

Will Fallout 4 finally be the game which I can play for 300 hours without it breaking?!

magic-8-ball-e1349685270211.jpg

Steel

Banned

Weird. Skyrim is the game I played for the least amount of time out of all those.

Perks from Fallout 3 for comparing:

Same amount of perks in both pics.

TCRS

Banned
just rewatched the trailer. the initial disappointment is still there. not because of the mediocre graphics or anything, but because of the direction they are taking with the design. it has too much life and way too many colours. it's supposed to be set in a postnuclear world not disneyland.

new vegas I can understand, it was vegas after all. but Boston is east coast, it's cold, rainy, full of irish people, it's depressive. I want the grey/green and quiet bleakness of Fallout 3 back.

UberLevi

just rewatched the trailer. the initial disappointment is still there. not because of the mediocre graphics or anything, but because of the direction they are taking with the design. it has too much life and way too many colours. it's supposed to be set in a postnuclear world not disneyland.

new vegas I can understand, it was vegas after all. but Boston is east coast, it's cold, rainy, full of irish people, it's depressive. I want the grey/green and quiet bleakness of Fallout 3 back.

The landscape is still bleak and neutral tone. They've left the terrain intact. The only difference is they've made the sky clear and they've injected color into areas via props, characters, and architecture. Which to me makes sense because the pre-apocalypse world had a 50s America vibe, so I think they wanted to help insert that aspect of the universe into the aesthetic more.

The landscape is still bleak and neutral tone. They've left the terrain intact. The only difference is they've made the sky clear and they've injected color into areas via props, characters, and architecture. Which to me makes sense because the pre-apocalypse world had a 50s America vibe, so I think they wanted to help insert that aspect of the universe into the aesthetic more.

Also in the lore didn't the east coast not get hit as hard by the nuclear blasts? If that's the case it'd make sense there's some more color

Well it looks like the poster is supposed to represent rooms in a vault. You can see to the left there are staircases heading down to each floor. I assume the top left box is supposed to look like some kind of entrance into the vault. That's my take anyway.

Good point.

Something I'm noticing. There are silver circles on the corners of certain perks, and Agility/Luck. At first I though this was supposed to be tears in the poster, but the images overlap the circles for the most part. I'm starting to think that this poster might be an active representation of your current build. The silver circle might represent a maxed skill.

I understand the desire for a bleak tone, but I'd argue Fallout 3 was a thematic outlier to the franchise, set in a place where it was likely that more nukes would hit than anywhere else in America that wasn't an active military base. I'm happy about the color because it means Bethesda is thinking about the Fallout universe in such a way that considers lore, humanity's constant forward 'progress' which is a recurring theme, and the fact that it's been over 200 years since bombs dropped. as for the disneyland thing... I'd kinda rather have the world look like 'disneyland' - which is defined by its blue skies? - than be conceived and structured like a list of Fallout themed disneyland attractions. plus, I mean, who's to say the game won't be bleak? it doesn't necessarily need to be blanketed in dust or green 24/7 to achieve that, and going by the trailer it seems there will be areas of the wasteland that are pretty fucked regardless.

I dunno, every time I watch the trailer I like it even more. I wish people didn't emphasize the color filters and uniform grading of last generation so much, because there's other ways to deliver that feeling in the context of the world, that don't marginalize the setting or the established lore and history of the franchise.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Hm, I wonder if this confirms that the workshop in the trailer is actually your player home?

I hope so. Is simple but cool. We don't need fancy apartments, at least at the start. Give me a workbench to mod weapons and craft shit, some places to hang my cool trinkets and stuff and a bed to sleep in. Also love the idea of rebuilding power armor even though I never used it in FO3 or NV.

rjinaz

Good point.

Something I'm noticing. There are silver circles on the corners of certain perks, and Agility/Luck. At first I though this was supposed to be tears in the poster, but the images overlap the circles for the most part. I'm starting to think that this poster might be an active representation of your current build. The silver circle might represent a maxed skill.

Hm that's interesting. I was also thinking it could be poster damage. You'll notice at the top of the poster near the words "vault-tec" there is clearly damage. At first I just assumed that was an intentional rustic look of the poster. But that doesn't really make sense if you assume vault-tec created the poster, they wouldn't have been going for "rusty". It looks like actual damage to the poster.

It's possible though that once you earn a perk it gets marked somehow on the poster, as if the player manually altered the poster for each perk like creating a mark or a hole, like you proposed.

Derp

Hm, I wonder if this confirms that the workshop in the trailer is actually your player home?
I'm like... 99% sure it is (or will end up being) the player's garage. There's too much stuff in there that suggests it's a personal garage for the player. There's a single bed. There's a workbench. There's the magazine rack. There's the perks thingy. There's a pip-boy on the bench. There's power armour that's being worked on (why would they shove something like power armor being worked on in someone else's property, and then make it the center of attention in part of the trailer and in the main screenshot, dammit). There's the weapons on the thingy. There's parts of the Mister Handy robot hanging on the thingy that suggests weapon customization perhaps (there's a customized laser rifle hanging there with interchangeable parts hanging around it).

TLDR: It's a nice cozy little garage full of player-specific/focused shit that would make no sense if it belonged to an NPC. It's ours.

I love it.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I really hope this is far and away the best Fallout, so people will stop droning on about how awesome Obsidian are.

I say this as a person that thinks Kotor 2 is amazing but nowhere near as good as the first. I love F3 and NV equally.

Tigress

I really hope this is far and away the best Fallout, so people will stop droning on about how awesome Obsidian are.

I say this as a person that thinks Kotor 2 is amazing but nowhere near as good as the first. I love F3 and NV equally.

I love F3, but it's not equal to NV. And sorry, I don't have hope that Bethesda will do it as well (still excited though. As I said, I did enjoy Fallout 3 and Bethesda does do atmosphere pretty well and exploration). But, that's ok, I love Bethesda games in spite of their flaws. Why Obsidian was so good is they took everything Bethesda does right and actually fixed what Bethesda does wrong. Making almost the perfect game imho (as i said, I love Bethesda games in spite of their flaws so some one doing one and doing the stuff Bethesda doesn't well, well... that's a dream come true. And no, Witcher is not that game, it isn't aiming at the same thing and does not have the things I like that Bethesda games do <- and yes, I am loving Witcher 3 but it doesn't scratch the same itch as Bethesda games do. In fact I'm not sure I've played any game that does that was not Fallout New Vegas. As I said, took everything Bethesda did right...).

But maybe they'll incorporate some of the stuff that made vegas so good. I doubt they'll get better writing/storytelling but hardcore mode and having reputation with factions and not just good/evil karma would be nice. Oh, and not being railroaded in the main quest (but I really have no hope of that as both Skryim and Fallout 3 did that. You will fight the main bad guy, not join him. Even if you are evil, you'll for some reason go against him. At least Skyrim gave a better motivation for that in that the bad guy was going to kill everyone so even an evil person might not want to help in that).

(and no, I'm not upset Bethesda Studios is doing 4. I expected that and think if anyone expected different they are fooling themselves. It is Bethesda Softwork's IP and I'm sure they're going to insist their developer they own do the main games. They only let Obsidian do a cash grab when it was popular. What I do hope for though is they let OBsidian do another cash grab... hell, twice the fallout, right? And we'd get another west coast Fallout :). I will fully admit though I would have been pleasantly surprised if some how I was wrong and it was Obsidian ).

But hey, nothing wrong with hoping this is the best Fallout :) :). It would be nice if everytime a new version of a series comes out it ends up being the best one, right? Otherwise you'll end up just being disappointed that it didn't reach teh levels of what was the best one. And that would take away from enjoying the game (it's why I'm glad I played 3 before Vegas ;) ).

Obsidian is awesome. So is Bethesda. It doesn't bother me when someone prefers one over the other.

If anything i'm glad there's more colour because it suggests that maybe just maybe Bethesda actually has a minimal understanding of what Fallout was all about this time around.
Humanity crawling back out of the mud was a central theme in the first two games and DC looking the way it did in Fallout 3 didn't really make a lick of sense. It's been over 200 years since the bombs droped, not two months.
Honestly, I'm not too hopeful because this is Bethesda we're talking about but they seem to at least have the aesthetics down as far as I'm concerned.

Tigress

so many neat little design choices in that opening scene. was that kind of metal paneling ever actually used inside U.S. homes during the 50s?

A small thing I noticed was the curtains moving... a nice little touch that is definitely an improvement over old Fallout (where stuff like that was very statue like).

I think there's a pretty high chance of seeing vehicles in Fallout 4. In this talk Todd Howard gave after Fallout 3 released somebody asked what major features he wanted that never made it into the game.

He says vehicles was a big one that didn't make it.

Video:
https://youtu.be/CrfdNJDVpR4?t=40m5s

If you look at the image that was released on the far right there is a tyre... so you never know.

I am very excited about this, and in some ways am depressed because I would have loved to have worked on FO4 as a designer :(

If anything i'm glad there's more colour because it suggests that maybe just maybe Bethesda actually has a minimal understanding of what Fallout was all about this time around.
Humanity crawling back out of the mud was a central theme in the first two games and DC looking the way it did in Fallout 3 didn't really make a lick of sense. It's been over 200 years since the bombs droped, not two months.
Honestly, I'm not too hopeful because this is Bethesda we're talking about but they seem to at least have the aesthetics down as far as I'm concerned.

It made sense. The fact is the war may been the problem initially, but over that couple centuries a lot of other things came into play to prevent rebuilding. I mean it took that long just to get the freakin water purified

I want to suggest everybody, if you can, make a day out of catching up on the lore. Bethesda really did it justice, and they really payed attention

So is it safe to assume the trailer is just to hold us over until E3? Kind of obvious, I thought. I'm guessing there is going to be way more they're going to show, dare I say a 30 minute long demo. I'd love to see what they did (if at all) to the combat system, VATS, perks, looting, NPCs, character creation, etc.

I'm crossing my fingers for some kind of dual-wield perk for one handed guns/weapons. It would make sense for pistols and knives. It shouldn't be too game breaking.

Hardest decision is what platform to play this on. PC seems to have all the fun and failsafes if FO4 is released with some bugs, and modders will be doing serious work like with GTA5. It feels I'll get the best experience on PC if I can't wait for DLC. Honestly, this will pull me away from Heavensward for a long time.

Hope they release a benchmark so I can see if my machine will be up to snuff.

Watevaman

A small thing I noticed was the curtains moving... a nice little touch that is definitely an improvement over old Fallout (where stuff like that was very statue like).

I know the interiors in the trailer are "open" but I hope that the buildings that are closed (the ones you need to load) at least have some kind of windows to the outside instead of being boarded up and stuff. Interiors always felt so closed in 3/NV/Skyrim because of this.

Agremont

No, I'm not being sarcastic. You did play 3 didn't you? What kind of restoration effort do you think could be successful there?

Another thing is 3 happened 36 years after 2. So how does 164 years make sense but not 200?

But 2's world was far more rebuilt. The point is that the state of the capital wasteland didn't make sense.

So is it safe to assume the trailer is just to hold us over until E3? Kind of obvious, I thought. I'm guessing there is going to be way more they're going to show, dare I say a 30 minute long demo. I'd love to see what they did (if at all) to the combat system, VATS, perks, looting, NPCs, character creation, etc.

You'll be lucky if it's half that. I'm thinking 8-12 minutes. They only have an hour, and they'll probably spend at least 5 minutes just talking about the game.

But 2's world was far more rebuilt. The point is that the state of the capital wasteland didn't make sense.

I know the point, and it's not true. You can't rebuild if there's no one there to do it. You had groups that rebuilt where they could but there were way more preventive factors on the east coast

UberLevi

I'm expecting about a 10 minute gameplay trailer, give or take. They probably did the reveal a little early so they could focus on showing off pure gameplay footage and give background on the setting more.

First of all super mutants overran the area. Absence of any significant organization with interest in rebuilding...like NCR on the west. Neither the BOS nor the Outcasts were focused on rebuilding. The Enclave trying to kill off everybody, raiders...

Besides the fringe groups that set up shop where they could, how could you rebuild that area like the west?

Such as a bunch of scientists not being able to figure out how to use the geck in the way it was originally intended because of reasons. I mean, the people from Vault cit were able to build their city and become self-sufficient on a barren irradiated wasteland beh eh, whatever.
Its amazing people were able to survive in DC at all considering they barely had anything for over 200 years.They just kinda miraculously survived due to reasons.

Paskil

Because there is no real government in DC in the aftermath. The west coast makes sense because of NCR being there. The Brotherhood in DC have been hoarding technology, not rebuilding. Most groups like at Megaton and Rivet City are simply focused on survival. Are you expecting the Army Corps of Engineers to come through five years after nuclear war and turn DC back into its prewar glory?

DC actually is more built up than I'd expect, given how many nukes must be pointed at the city. It makes perfect sense that DC is a wasteland.

First of all super mutants overran the area. Absence of any significant organization with interest in rebuilding...like NCR on the west. Neither the BOS nor the Outcasts were focused on rebuilding. The Enclave trying to kill off everybody, raiders...

Besides the fringe groups that set up shop where they could, how could you rebuild that area like the west?

Not to mention the most capable likely fled to the Institute or Enclave. No sane person would stay in that wasteland.

Such as a bunch of scientists not being able to figure out how to use the geck in the way it was originally intended because of reasons. I mean, the people from Vault cit were able to build their city and become self-sufficient on a barren irradiated wasteland beh eh, whatever.
Its amazing people were able to survive in DC at all considering they barely had anything for over 200 years.They just kinda miraculously survived due to reasons.

There was one known geck in DC and it took almost the whole game of fighting everything under the sun just to get it. This is where you want a construction crew to just set up shop and get busy

Agremont

In 200 years there would have been organizations formed, "super"mutant wouldn't have held it back considering what Bethesda did to them. 200 years is such a long time. They're mostly wimps. It still doesn't make sense to me. I still think the capital wasteland is what it is due to Bethesda simply going with what they thought was cool without much thought behind it.

Because there is no real government in DC in the aftermath. The west coast makes sense because of NCR being there. The Brotherhood in DC have been hoarding technology, not rebuilding. Most groups like at Megaton and Rivet City are simply focused on survival. Are you expecting the Army Corps of Engineers to come through five years after nuclear war and turn DC back into its prewar glory?

DC actually is more built up than I'd expect, given how many nukes must be pointed at the city. It makes perfect sense that DC is a wasteland.

There should've been more factions formed after 200 years. And who's saying prewar glory? Nothing was in prewar glory in the originals. The settlements don't make much sense in F3 either. There's no way they would've survived as is anyway. It's a poorly though out world.

And the Brotherhood has always been hoarding technology.

Top Bottom